Start by marking “I Was Here--Before You Came (Dacian Legends, #1)” as Want to Read:
I Was Here--Before You Came (Dacian Legends, #1)

I Was Here--Before You Came

(Dacian Legends #1)

Legend has it … centuries after Spartacus another hero is born—Ilias, the bastard son of King Decebalus. Thirsty for revenge and eager to unshackle the Roman oppression, Ilias' obsession to fulfill his oath has no bounds, even if that means kidnapping Nerva, the beloved daughter of Emperor Traianus. What he doesn't know is his own heart threatens to betray his conscience. ...more
ebook
Published August 24th 2012 by Prose by Design

To ask other readers questions about I Was Here--Before You Came, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Was Here--Before You Came

JoLee (Wickedly Delicious Book Blog)
Rating: 4 stars - Loved It

I am a huge Spartacus TV show fan and love the Roman Times but yet to find a novel with this genre that catches my attention until I was here-before you came (Dacian Legends, #1) by Camelia Miron Skiba. She is truly a master story teller with a beautiful writing voice.

Vengeance.
That’s what I live for, the only reason I survived.
I will not rest. I will not give up. For ten years I built an army, my army to take back my land, reclaim my birthright to the Dacian Kingdom a
Kristin
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
3 1/2 stars...

I'd like to thank the author for allowing me a copy of this short story in exchange for an honest review.

I'd like to start out by saying that this is a great premise for a story. A man swears vengeance on his enemy, and kidnaps his daughter, only to have the whole plan backfire on him when he falls in love with her. The story itself was well-written, the plot moved along as it should. The story ended well.

Yes, I know you feel it...the looming "but"....

But....I felt nothing for the
Kim Roberts
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like me love history, foreign places and rebellious heroes then Born In Vengeance is the book for you. Set in ancient Dacia, the land of Romania today, Born In Vengeance is the story of Ilias, the bastard son of King Decebalus fighting to free his land and people from the Roman oppression.
In doing so he plans to kidnap Nerva, Emperor Traianus’s illegitimate daughter. His scheme is planned to a tee; what he didn’t plan was to fall in love with Nerva. Their relationship starts on the wrong
L Peterson
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Give me a new Spartacus and I’m lost.
Born In Vengeance is an incredible story of a nation I’ve never heard of, a hero whose mind want revenge but heart wants love. And not just any kind of love, but from his enemy’s daughter.
I don’t think I’ve read a romance from the hero’s POV until Born In Vengeance. I’m not complaining I’m just saying that it’s so well done I couldn’t believe the author is actually a woman. The way she captures a man’s mind, always in control, always focused on details that
Mneeson
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why do amazing stories end up too soon? You get hooked by a hero that falls for no one else but the daughter of his worse enemy; you fall in love with the secondary characters which are outlaws thirsty to take back what was theirs for centuries; you hold your breath seeing the plot developing and coming together until the final battle and . . . the end.
Born In Vengeance is a remarkable tease leaving the reader with nothing more but a great deal of impatience until the next novel and a soft spot
If The Book Fits
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Two of my favourite genres to read (and review) are high fantasy and historical fiction. This novella is the love child born of a union between those two genres, and it was AMAZING. I've loved reading about the Romans and Saxons since I was a little girl, and this was a blast from the past. Let's get to my review then, shall we?

description

The Good:

The hero - Don't judge me okay? Ilias was the embodiment of my kryptonite. Incredibly intelligent, exquisitely handsome and wonderfully flawed, Ilias had all of
Brandee (un)Conventional Bookworms
Ilias, son of Decebelus, King of the Dacians, has sworn vengeance against the Romans. It was the Romans that attacked and destroyed his home, his lands. It was Romans that killed his mother, his sister, and his father. Ilias, and his brothers in arms, swore that one day they'd exact their revenge and take back what is rightfully theirs. That day has finally come.

However, Ilias didn't consider the effect Nerva might have on him. Nerva, the daughter of his sworn enemy and the central piece in his
Pat
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This novella introduces us to Ilias, the son of King Decebalus of Dacian.

"Dacians lived, worked and died for the rich land between the Danube and the Carpathian Mountains".

Ilias watched his sister and mother murdered by the conquering Romans. They burned his home and surrounding properties to the ground , and rather than being taken prisoner the King killed himself with his own dagger. Ilias vows revenge. He forms an army, trains them, gathers weapons for the sole purpose of exacting revenge
Christina M Condy
When I first picked up this book I had no idea what it was about. Sure I had read the Summary, but I didn't know what to expect. The story is about King Decebalus's bastard son. The premise for the story was good, and the story itself is well written. The plot moves along quickly and as you would expect it to.

Character creation was okay. I have to say that I just didn't "feel" the relationship between the two main characters. But since this is more of a historical book than a true romance I can
Solmarie
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was gifted a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Ilias is the illegitimate son of Decebelus, King of the Dacians. As a small child he saw his entire family massacred and his people forced into slavery by the Romans. Vowing to have his revenge on the people responsible for his kingdoms downfall he does everything to accomplish his goal of ensuring his people's continued survival and freedom. Even if it means kidnapping his enemies daughter. Ilias has watched Nerva grow from a chi
Tina
I had the opportunity to read this story when it was previously published as I Was Here—Before You Came and I loved reading it again after it re-released with the new title. I will say, although the plot did not change there are more details that were added to the characters story line. I truly enjoyed how well Ms. Skiba is able to keep the reader’s interest by telling this story from the hero’s POV along with keeping the details within the era of when this takes place.

Ilias is the illegitimate
Carmen
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Initially published on my blog http://shadowspastmystery.blogspot.ro/

BORN IN VENGEANCE is a story of ancient times, revenge and love. The story of how the people living in present day Romania was born. I read it in a go. I simply couldn't put it down. Ilias is a strong leader who stands up for what he believes in. He's been planning on revenge, for over a decade, against Rome for destroying his family, and kingdom. The time has come and there is nothing to stop him from following the course he
Melissa
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was written really well for being a novella. There was a lot of detail put into the surroundings and the characters and I felt like the action scenes were written really well.

I enjoyed that this story came from the POV of Ilias. There are so many books written from the female POV that it is refreshing to see things from the male POV. I find it wickedly hilarious that he kidnaps this female only to have it backfire on him! HA! That will show you!!

I think Ner
Paula Ratcliffe
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Jessica Freed
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, was I in for a big surprise when I started Born In Vengeance. A romance written from the hero’s perspective? I’m pretty sure there are no such books on my shelves.
I love Ilias and his outcasts. As fearless as they are in the saddle when it comes to matters of the heart they all lack experience, instinct and sensitivity and who doesn’t want a hero that needs guidance or saving?
I liked Nerva. She was a heroine perfect for Ilias because she stood up for herself, forcing Ilias to change his min
Caren Davis
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time reading Camelia Miron Skiba. I loved her writing style and how she was able to create full characters and a historically accurate world in a short story. Ilias seeks vengeance on the man who killed his father by kidnapping his niece. He is captivated by Nerva's beauty and Ilias internal struggle begins. Will he stick with his plan for vengeance or follow his heart? I can't wait to read the next book, Born in Sin!!!
Tara Majuta
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Very beautifully written! The story was smart and sweet. I enjoy strong female characters and this book was top notch. I love the way the author crafted each word together, creating a well-written story. This book is a must read for anyone who is look for a good, quick love story!
Rosie Amber
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short historical story set in the land which became Romania. It tells of the Dacian empire and Ilias,the son of the King, seeking revenge on the Romans for killing his family and taking over their land. Revenge, romance and an ending which will lead in to the next book.
Brandee (un)Conventional Bookworms
Review coming...
Audrey Wilkerson
A story set in the days of the Romans, this the story of the Dacian people and their thirst for revenge.

The Romans were the only group who ever bested the Dacians; as is the custom, they killed the king and took over their lands. The son of the late king, Ilius, has been waiting for the right time to exact his revenge on the emperor who now lives where his father’s castle once stood. Ten years after his father’s death, Ilius is ready to kidnap the daughter of the emperor, defeat his army and the
Sharrice
Ilias, son of Decebelus, King of the Dacians, has sworn vengeance against the Romans. The Romans destroyed his home, his lands and his family. Now he lives only for revenge and avenging his family. However, when that day finally comes he comes face to face with Nerve, the Kings daughter. Having stolen her to bring the King to his knees he never expected she may be everything he wants. Now all Ilias wants is to protect her, but in doing so he will be going against everything he wanted and the wis ...more
Jocelyn Le
Well alright. I'm a historian and my concentration is around the Balkan area, namely Romania. That's why I am always excited to see work that is related to Romanian culture.

To be frank, I really like the style. Simple, precise, and the prose displays a good voice for a man from the ancient times. Characters... hm. I am a stickler for character complexity. I am pleased that Ilias witholds that famous Dacian honor, and that this love story starts up rough--but this is where it hits the dead end.

I
JadeShea
When I started this book I really had no idea what to expect. It is a novella that is about Ilias the bastard son of king Decebalus. He is out for revenge agents Rome for destroying his family, and kingdom. He ends up kidnapping the Roman king's daughter, but things get a little bit crazy once they have her traveling with him. You get to see Ilias realize that maybe he's not doing the right thing, and he starts to have feelings for the king's daughter Nerva. I enjoyed this short story a lot. It ...more
Joy
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

64 pages

Born in Vengeance is told completely from the lead male’s POV which is unfortunate because the opportunity to feel an emotional connection to the heroine and to understand her actions is lost.

At last and after ten long years of waiting Ilias, the bastard son of King Decebalus kidnaps Nerva, the daughter of his hated enemy King Traianus, to draw him out and to kill him for past unforgiveable deeds.

Ilias is soon to realise that revenge has its own bittersweet taste.

I downloaded this from
P.A.
Nov 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts a little erratically, but moves along well enough to keep you reading.
Fats
rated it did not like it
Oct 12, 2013
Maria Sphaler
Oct 14, 2013
Camelia Skiba
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie Phelps
Jan 28, 2013
Brandon Rodulfo
Aug 19, 2014
  • Reaper's Novice (Soul Collector, #1)
  • Two Halves (Two Halves, #1)
  • Dragon Stones (Dragon Stone Saga #1)
  • Uncontrollable (The Nature of Grace, #2)
  • A Hard Act to Follow
  • Alexander Drake's Extraordinary Pursuit (Azra's Pith, Book 1)
  • Cascade Brides (Cascade Brides #1-3)
  • Face-Off (Hockey Rivals Book One)
  • Gracier
  • Starseed
  • Rejected
  • Alaina Claiborne (British Agent, #1)
  • The Secret of the Scarlet Stone (Gabby Girls Adventure, #1)
  • Shifting Pride
  • Dying to Run
  • Reflection (Whitney Steel, #1)
  • Rise of the Fire Tamer (The Wordwick Games, #1)
  • Escucha Means Listen
Ever since I began writing and publishing books I've been on the run, always trying to write the next page, the next chapter, the next book. Every story was another journey, another discovery of what I could do and another evolution. All these years my motto was it doesn't matter who I am or where I come from, but what I leave behind is. I thought I have it all figured out.
Socrates, one of the bi

Dacian Legends (2 books)
  • BORN IN SIN (Dacian Legends)