Start by marking “Kicking It (Alex Craft, #2.5; Chicagoland Vampires, #8.25)” as Want to Read:
Kicking It (Alex Craft, #2.5; Chicagoland Vampires, #8.25)

Kicking It (Alex Craft #2.5)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  2,455 Ratings  ·  274 Reviews
Featuring stories by FAITH HUNTER * KALAYNA PRICE * RACHEL CAINE * CHLOE NEILL * ROB THURMAN * SHANNON K. BUTCHER * LUCIENNE DIVER * CHRIS MARIE GREEN * CHRISTINA HENRY

New York Times bestselling author Rachel Caine has modern-day potions witches Holly and Andrew facing off against a firebrand politician who wears literally killer boots in a Texas-sized rodeo of trouble.

Boo
Published December 3rd 2013 by Roc Trade

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
only read:

High Stakes by Chloe Neill - 4 ★'s

I really enjoyed getting more Luc and Lindsey...it's been a long time coming.

We get to learn more about Lindsey's past which was really interesting especially the flower girls.

My favorite part was Luc and the boots! ♥

Favorite quotes:

♦ “Grape sanctity,” Merit whispered. “Sounds like the name of the world’s worst sacramental wine.”

♥ “I can’t shake you, Linds. As much as you push me away, I can’t shake you. I don’t want to shake you. I want you—al
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

This was a good novella, especially if you like your books action packed and full of kick ass heroines with a leather fetish, luckily I lap that stuff up. I was also pleasantly surprised when I enjoyed nearly all of the stories in this anthology, some I did like more than others, but generally I now have a few more series to add to my reading lists.

Forked Tongues Rachel Caine

This anthology kicks off with a bang with Rachel Caine's Forked Tongues, although I haven't really read any Rachel Caine
Robin
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2016
"High Stakes" by Chloe Neill is the only story I read in this anthology.

It’s a normal day at Cadogan House for Lindsey and Luc until Lindsey receives a message from her Grand Niece. Someone has threatened her. That person wants Lindsey to go back to New York City, the place where she was turned into a vampire in the 1920s. Lindsey cannot figure out who is behind the threats. Everyone from her past is dead. But taking no chances, she leaves Cadogan House and Luc behind to confront her enemy.

This
Komal
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
High Stakes: Chloe Neill has hinted at a Luc & Lindsey story for quite some time now, and with this little novella, she delievers a short and sweet little foray into their lives. These two have so much history and passion and watching them interact with one another with such gentleness and love was amazing. I've loved Lindsey from the start but in this story, I fell in love with Luc. The mystery was also quite intriguing as it dwelled into Lindsey's past. Overall, if you're a fan of the CLV ...more
Ina
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
High Stakes

4 stars

This was such a cute short story. I love Lindsey almost as much as Luc, so I was excited when I found out about this novella, although I might have enjoyed it a little bit more if it was written from Luc's POV (we don't really know that much about Luc's personal life and I would really like to find out more about him).

I liked insight into Lindsey's past, even though I wouldn't be angry if it was just a little bit longer and offered us more details. I was glad to see Lindsey c
Elizabeth
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Luc/Lindsey short story!!!!!!!!!!!
Rose Montague
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Most anthologies have both good and not so good stories. This one is the exception in that the range is from pretty darn good to fabulous. The other thing I like about this anthology was the length of the stories. They all had some meat on the bones, enough to let the stories develop. I was fortunate to have read a few of these authors before and I am a big fan of Faith Hunter, Rachel Caine, and Kaylayna Price and have read a little from Rob Thurman and Chloe Neil. The four I have not read befor ...more
Pauline
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, action
The theme in this collection of stories is magical shoes, boots or other footwear with a special story to them. There were magical stilettos, boots that would not come off without a price, and in some cases, just something to snare a worthy mark. The short stories were beautifully told and a pleasure to read.

Faith Hunter and Kalayna Price did an excellent job of selecting and weaving together the wonderful tales from authors who each write from well established worlds, making the individual shor
Jenni
Mar 18, 2013 marked it as to-read
18/3-13: I'm adding this to my tbr-pile because of Chloe Neill and the Luc/Lindsey's story *squeal* and *yeeha* LOL
Here is a short teaser that Chloe posted on her website:
And then he pulled his best cowboy move, putting a hand around my waist and whipping me against him. He smiled cockily down at me. “I’m not afraid of your issues, Linds.”

And I'm also curious about Rachel Caine's story *TMV-fan here xD*
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
*My rating is based on Linds and Luc's story.

HIGH STAKES (Chicagoland Vampires #8.5) by Chloe Neill
I have been waiting for this since I read Some Girls Bite about 3 or 4 years ago? A part of me is angry because it was only one short-story and it's not like they get much time in the actual books, but I'm also glad it was short because dragging Lindsay's issues with commitment for longer would have been overkill. At the same time, in a full-lenght novel Neill could have explored Lindsay's backgrou
Marta Cox
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well this is a fabulous opportunity to sample the collected talents of some of the best authors of urban fantasy around today. This little gem contains short stories by best selling authors that are a delight to read. These tales whilst by nature short pack a punch. Each one is filled with madness and mayhem done in a kick ass style by heroines who take girl power to the extreme! A collection of supernatural stories with the women large and in charge!
From witches to demons, from Gods to shoe obs
Jaymie
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've come to enjoy these types of anthologies for a couple of reasons. I love seeing how writers with sometimes wildly different writing styles and worldviews deal with a common theme. The new paths their thoughts take you down is a journey you don't want to miss. The other great thing is being able to explore new authors and some of their favorite characters through the short story window provided in this context.

The common theme, as you may have guessed from the title, is footwear...with a pr
Jonetta
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Stolen Goods by Shannon K. Butcher
Blacksmith Matthew Brighton wants to hire mercenary Simone Solange to help him retrieve a special hammer the Fractogasts are using to construct a portal. Once complete, the portal will allow more of these destructive creatures entry and it will be the beginning of the end for humanity. Simone is all business with her leathers and magical red boots. Matthew has his own skills as she learns when she accompanies him on the assignment.

This story revved up really q
Mary
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: collection, fantasy
This is how a short story collection should be done! It took me three or four stories, but I finally figured out the theme of the book -- Shoes... and who doesn't like shoes?

Almost every one of these stories was entertaining and kept your interest. Each story forwarded/supported the series they were taken from. I even found a new author I want to try. I really enjoyed the majority of this collection.

The only downside is that every story is a part of a larger series. If you have not read the seri
Marianne
I bought this book because I wanted to read Christina Henry's novella about Maddie Black and her troubled relationship to her grandad.
Maddie kicked ass as usual, wouldn't expect anything less:-)
Will probably read the other novellas as well, at some point.
So, I Read This Book Today
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rachel Caine (author) Shannon K. Butcher (author) Rob Thurman (author) Faith Hunter (author) Chris Marie Green (author) Chloe Neill (author) Lucienne Diver (author) Kalayna Price (author) Christina Henry (author)

I love anthologies. Really love them. What a great way to learn about new authors, and pick up shorts by authors we love?

In Kicking It I got to enjoy some old favorites, but I also got to read some authors I wasn’t aware of, or whose stories I haven’t had a chance to enjoy. All the stori
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Paige
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
The basis for this anthology is kick-ass heroines. I actually was planning to buy this but won it from Goodreads (go me!). I am a fan of several of the authors so how could this go wrong?
Most of the stories were fantastic and hit the mark; one or two, not so much.

Forked Tongues by Rachel Caine—
I’m a Rachel Caine fan. She was one of the reasons this anthology was on my list.
Ms. Caine’s contribution is another Holly & Andy story. To be honest, Holly and Andy are just ok for me. The first sto
Shawnie Nicole
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honest Review no spoilers - Netgalley

Every story in KICKING IT features a heroine from several different authors. They kick ass, take names, save lives, and don't wait for thank you(s). I haven't read any books from five of the nine authors, so I was very interested in testing the waters and seeing if I liked the work of said authors. I will not review all of the stories, but I hags picked four of them to give you a look into the books.

1. Shannon K. Butcher - STOLEN GOODS
I was pleasantly surpri
Torzilla
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lots of awesome stories to read! Individual reviews and ratings below. Overall, I loved this anthology and I wish that most of the stories were longer. Still, I have no complaints about brevity affecting quality, which is a first with an anthology for me.

Rachel Caine, "Forked Tongues" -- 4/5
Caine was one of the first authors I read pre-blogging. While I found the Weather Warden series to be awesome, later books did have a tendency to get a bit repetitive (so I couldn't really binge on the latter
Melindeeloo
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I am an anthology nut so I liked Kicking It. This has nine kickin' stories involving footwear of some significance from a fair number of my favorite UF authors, most set in the worlds of their series. I admit that I was a bit biased toward those connected shorts - probably because I brought a fair bit of knowledge of those worlds/characters with me into those stories and could focus on the action. A quick rundown...

Forked Tongues - Rachel Caine - I believe this is Caine's third story starring re
Sharon
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The flock knows I am a big urban fantasy fan. I love a heroine that kicks butt, takes names and scores the hot hero, eventually. This is urban fantasy and ain't nothing easy for the heroine. I was excited to check out this anthology because I have only read a few of the authors and this was a chance to test drive some others. All the stories center around the author's ass kicking heroine and boots. The stories ranged from 3.5 Sheep to 4.5 Sheep, and the ratings have more to do with my personal p ...more
Traci (Mad Hatter Reads)
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
My Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Source: I received an e-Copy via the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

What I love about anthologies is they give me a little taste of the series world to tide me over until the next major series installment is released. Kicking It provides just that with perfect little tastes of some of my favorite Urban Fantasy series…and did I mention that each story centers around something near and dear to my heart? That’s right, each one features BOOTS in all of their glorio
Darcy
This review is only bases on the stories by the following stories

Shannon K. Butcher - I normally really like this author, but this story didn't do it for me. I felt like I was missing something like the back story. I ended up not finishing it.

Faith Hunter - I love the world of Jane Yellowrock, so was happy to see this story was set in it, but was surprised it held more of the Everhart sisters. I knew there were bad feelings between the sister/witches and Jane due to what happened. I liked that t
Dr susan
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-again
Kicking It is an anthology which means to review it fairly, I should write a review for each short story....nine shorts, nine reviews? Not gonna happen. I do not wear heels, stiletto or otherwise, but even I love the look of a good boot.
I did not read Henry's Red Isn't Really My Color because I have lost all patience with her Black Wings series.
All of the other stories are entertaining. Caine's Forked Tongues brings back Holly and Andrew, a poignant witch couple with a twist. Holly and Andrew al
Melissa
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kicking It! is really a wonderful collection of stories. The best part about collections is that it takes you back to some of your favorites and introduces you to new friends.
The stories included in this collection are:

"Forked Tongues" by Rachel Caine
"The Parlor" by Lucienne Driver
"Red Isn't Really My Color" by Christina Henry
"Snakeskin" by Rob Thurm
Oct 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I only read High Stakes by Chloe Neill.

High Stakes is a story featuring Merit’s vampire best friend and fellow protector of the Cadogan House, Lindsey.

Lindsey gets a visit from her past life she lived during roaring 20s in the alcohol prohibition. Lindsey was a free loving flipper gal in the middle of mobster gang warfare in New York. It’s great to see some of Lindsey’s past since she is very closed mouth about her vampire youth and she is very afraid to commit to Luc, the hunky cowboy vampire o
Beckey
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
A collection of interesting and great short stories by some wonderful authors. Some I knew before and some are new to me, one reason I like getting books like this. The only downside that I can truly say are that they are short and some will have you wanting to read more as well as it make it hard for me as reviewer to write out a synopsis of each of the story cause I know that I will end up being a spoiler.
I liked the theme of each story was about some sort of magical or special boots…may be n
Ronda
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
CHLOE NEILL - CHICAGOLAND VAMPIRES - 4 STARS
*********************************************

Fabulous - A story from our very own Cadagon Vampire Lindsay and how her past swiftly catches up with her. We finally see something in this short story that I've waited to see for a long time and I'm glad she's finally done this!!!

Just makes me 'thirsty' for some more Chicagoland Vamps!!
Extraordinary Anthology 8 18 Dec 29, 2013 12:31AM
  • Howling For You (Chicagoland Vampires, #8.5)
  • Grave Ransom (Alex Craft, #5)
  • Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9)
  • An Apple for the Creature
  • Night Shift (Kate Daniels, #6.5; SPI Files, # 0.5; Psy-Changeling, #12.5; Barbarian, #1)
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • Fire & Frost (Iron Seas, #3.4; Code of Shadows, #0.5; Midnight Liaisons #2.3)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Unwanted (Elemental Assassin, #14.5)
  • Courts of the Fey
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series is a dark urban fantasy. Jane is a full blooded Cherokee skinwalker and hunter of rogue-vampires in a world of weres, witches, vampires, and other supernats.

Her Rogue Mage novels—Bloodring, Seraphs, Host, and the RPG Rogue Mage—feature Thorn St. Croix, a stone mage in a post-apocalyptic alternate reality.

The Soulwood series is a new dark-urban fantasy / parano
More about Faith Hunter...

Alex Craft (6 books)
  • Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
  • Grave Visions (Alex Craft, #4)
  • Grave Ransom (Alex Craft, #5)
  • Untitled (Alex Craft, #6)