Jump to ratings and reviews

Guardians Inc. #2

Thundersword

GUARDIANS INC. BOOK 2: THUNDERSWORD

The search for the Book of Concord is on the brink of failure.

Guardians Inc. can’t move without being followed by the Azure Guard, and the balance between Magic and Technology has begun to shift giving Magical creatures a stronger hold in our world.

With new enemies arising and old alliances breaking up, the Guardians need an urgent victory or the seven thousand year old plan will fail and a new Dark Age will engulf the world. But just as Thomas Byrne begins to discover the inner workings of Guardians Inc. and his place as a Cypher, he also finds out that not everything is as he thought inside the company and that the worst enemy might be the one lurking within.

419 pages, Paperback

12 books89 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 16 of 16 reviews
Profile Image for Katy.
1,293 reviews282 followers
February 4, 2013
Please note: Originally read and reviewed Dec. 30, 2012. Just fixing some errors I noticed when I was re-reading my review.

Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Young Adult
Recommended for: Fans of YA urban fantasy, intricate world-building

My Thoughts: I’m so happy I had decided to do a Amazon Prime test so I was able to borrow and read this book right after Cypher, the first book in this series (review here where formatting allowed), which I just loved. This second book in the series is about twice as long as the first one.

The editing was a problem (it was in the first book, too). Some examples: “were” and “where” are mixed up many times; “Sidney” for the Australian city (which is “Sydney”—there is a “Sidney” but it is in Montana. I grew up near there). Missing and extra words. Not quite enough to be distracting, but there. Both books could use a going-over by a really good line editor, or a proofreader at the very least.

I’ve noticed some reviewers who seem to think Thomas acts too young. I contend that they’ve been reading too much YA fiction, in which youth are preternaturally mature, and that Thomas is acting like a 16-year-old boy. I felt his representation was very realistic, and I enjoyed watching him mature and grow during the course of this book, and really come into himself. It was wonderful.

I also really enjoyed Ratatosk, and felt that he added a needed bit of levity, and that bit of an outside push that Thomas needed to overcome his limitations. I loved the revenge that Thomas and Ratatosk took on Nadir, although I’d have liked to seen that jerk be killed. Still, it isn’t Thomas’ way, and I felt it was probably better to maintain that personality.

Overall, a wonderful continuation. The next book, The Four-Legged Prophet, should be released in April or May of 2013, and I, for one, will be eagerly waiting for it.

Disclosure: I enjoyed the first book in this series so much I borrowed this book from Amazon Prime to read. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: The search for the Book of Concord is on the brink of failure.

Guardians Inc. can’t move without being followed by the Azure Guard, and the balance between Magic and Technology has begun to shift, giving Magical creatures a stronger hold in our world.

With new enemies arising and old alliances breaking up, the Guardians need an urgent victory or the seven-thousand-year-old plan will fail and a new Dark Age will engulf the world. But just as Thomas Byrne begins to discover the inner workings of Guardians Inc. and his place as a Cypher, he also finds out that not everything is as he thought inside the company and that the worst enemy might be the one lurking within.
Profile Image for Deborah.
93 reviews
January 13, 2013
I read the first book last week and was happy to find that a 2nd book had been written.
This is young adult teen fiction, based on mythology.
The main character, Thomas reluctantly accepts a job at a strange library. During the course of events he soon learns that he can read any written language, ancient or modern.
He also learns that his beloved Grandfather has the same ability.

Taken by the "bad team" Thomas accepts the role of guardian and the quest of finding a mysterious book, but his real purpose is to find and free his grandfather.
As time goes on, the 16 year old boy soon learns more than "history" of the world, he also learns about love, betrayal, loss and he goes from being a crybaby into a mature young man.

The writer, Julian Rosado-Machain leads us on a thrilled pack ride to strange city, with interesting mythical characters. He creates a world of magic, mystery and suspense.
I liked this book very much and can't wait for the next one.

Profile Image for C.J. Milbrandt.
Author 20 books164 followers
August 28, 2017
The second installment in the Guardians Inc. series. Thomas gains greater understanding of the magical races, his role as Cypher, and the gravity of his role. But he's torn because of his ties to his rival and a deepening conviction that his parents may still be alive.

Team dynamics and time travel. Elvin princesses and pop culture references. Assorted gods and golden acorns. Faun clans and foreign affairs. I continue to be impressed by the complexity of the world-building for this series, which folds in the beliefs and myths of a worldwide community, and by Thomas's integrity as he fumbles, fails, and figures out who to trust, how to behave honorably, and what it means to become a hero.

Solid storytelling. I'm eager for more.
October 8, 2018
Just as good(or maybe even better than the last) as the last one. Would very much recommend for those who are interested in mythology of all kinds; Norse, Roman, Greek, etc.
Profile Image for Penni.
56 reviews14 followers
November 3, 2012
The first book was great and this one is even more amazing. If you love mythology, magic and action you should consider reading both Guardians Inc. Books.
Thomas and his team are looking for clues to find the Book of Concord, but they are not alone. The Azure Guard is right behind them each step of the way. Now Thomas has to find a way to shake them off.

I've noticed some people who seem to think Thomas acts too young. I think that they've been reading too much YA fiction, in which teens are preternaturally mature, and that Thomas is acting like a normal 16-year-old boy. I felt his representation was very realistic, and I enjoyed watching him mature and grow during the course of this book, and really come into himself. It was great.

My daughter has been reading this series with me and while she hasn't completed the second book yet she is eagerly devouring it! It's refreshing to find books with magical aspects and young adult reads that I can share with her. Some now go a bit too far into older genres instead of ones a young tween can read.
6 reviews
June 13, 2014
This sequel to the cypher will have you wanting for more. Tom wants to stop his grandfather from spying on him. First he visits a dark man or dealmaker (I think) who gives him a start to stop. Then Tom visits some cursed people and then travels to Asgard (Yeah I know) and learns a very valuable lesson trying to stop the war between fauns (Yeah I know) and humans. Highly recommended book and keep reading!
Profile Image for Bruce Jenkins.
85 reviews1 follower
December 30, 2015
Interesting

I'd like to say that this was fun to read but at times it was hard to stay engaged with how the story was developing. Something about how the primary and secondary characters seemed disjointed. I found myself struggling to stay engaged with were this was going to end, and who the pieces would finally fit together. The last chapters helped somewhat to put some clarity into where this is going.
Profile Image for Gary Varney.
51 reviews
April 25, 2014
A good read... lots of action... a few grammatical errors between 300-330... And a dramatic twist of events that I am not sure was totally needed, but there is another book in the series so we will see...
Profile Image for BRT.
1,483 reviews
June 30, 2014
Second book in the series. I'm still deciding if I like it or not. Definitely young adult lit but waivers between really young and older young. Has some familiar themes, but takes them in new directions.
Profile Image for Julie.
184 reviews5 followers
November 10, 2012
This sequel had some swearing in it, but still a fun and interesting read. I am looking forward to the next installment.
Profile Image for Cressa.
449 reviews2 followers
August 10, 2016
I've been reading this book with my son. We both have throughly enjoyed it and are looking forward to reading the third book in the series.
Displaying 1 - 16 of 16 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.