Start by marking “Glass Houses” as Want to Read:
Glass Houses

Glass Houses

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  294 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The only thing that stood between Michael Dubrovnik and the creation of Dubrovnik Plaza, his crowning achievement as a developer, was the Glass House. The art deco building was old and begged for demolition. Surely it would be easy to convince the owner to sell it to him. But he hadn't counted on the determination—or the allure—of Laura de Kelsey Winston.

The Glass House ha
Paperback
Published September 2012 by Harlequin (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Glass Houses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glass Houses

Dina
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dina by: Cristina from Bookmooch
What can I say? This was another winner by Anne Stuart, who's quickly become my all-time favorite HQ author. Okay, I know she doesn't write for HQ anymore, but I've only discovered her recently so her "oldies" are all "newbies" to me. This was "only" my tenth book by her, and I couldn't be happier knowing there's still a lot of books to read considering how huge her backlist is.

Glass Houses is one of those stories about a couple who love to hate - or hate to love - each other. This kind of plot
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This was a reread, but this is my first time reviewing it. I love this book. One of my old favorites. Michael is unapologetically arrogant and used to getting his way. His aggressive businessman tactics have gotten him to the top 50 wealthiest men, but he wants to be in the top ten. He's bought up sweet real estate all over New York, particularly in one area, to build his planned towers named after himself. But one building stands in his way, the Glass House. One stubborn woman refuses to sell i ...more
Saly
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Saly by: Dina
OMG I loved Glass Houses, it had excellent characters with multiple layers.

Michael aka the Whirlwind as he is called in the business world is used to winning, the thorn in his side is Laura and the building she owns Glass Houses, which stands in his way of building a plaza. Michael comes from a big Russian family and may be tenacious but is fair. He's been married once and now that he is approaching forty is thinking of doing it again, someone who won't bother him much, ornamental.

Laura runs a m
Holly
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anne-stuart
In the corporate world of big egos, Michael Dubrovnik has the biggest one of them all. He never lets anything stand in his way and has earned himself the nickname, the Whirlwind. Right now, he has his sights set on creating his legacy, Dubrovnik Plaza, right smack in the middle of Glass House, which is owned by Laura de Kelsey Winston. For three years he has carried on in the planning of the building, sure in the fact that he can get Laura to sell, only to be rebuffed at every turn. Well, he's d ...more
-ya
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Key points:
The hero, 70% of the time, acted like a sexist pig.
The heroine, 70% of the time, behaved like a stubborn fool.

I know MCs sounded awful, and it is true that I had no shortage of eye-rolling moments. But Anne Stuart's writing made the story a page-turner for me:/
Mary
Mar 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If they ever made this book into a movie, or even a Lifetime Movie of the week, I would so watch it.
Mareli
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice story. Bantering between hero and heroine was hilarious. And I love she used brain to get back to him (even if HEA was a bit sappy). I love the secondary story between heroine's best friend and a model.

Janet
If you liked early Nora Roberts -- early Linda Howard -- then you'll get right on board with this. It's in some ways so old-fashioned: mentions of Helmsley hotels, Trump (oh wait, he's still around) but the battle royale between a society gal who works hard for her money (she runs a modelling agency) and lives for the Glass House she inherited and the Russian newcomer with pots of money is a fun one. I liked the secondary romance altho zaftig she wasn't. Just a fun fast read that wasn't cookie c ...more
Shambhawi P.
3.5 Stars

And I think I have a new author to stake out.
Lexie Cooper
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read. I am used to the male lead being a little more intimidating and the female lead being a little less, well, annoying. It was harder for me to like Laura than it usually is to like the female lead. But nonetheless the story kept me interested all along and I enjoyed the side-romance.
Ally
Jun 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, 2010
This is going to be a short review while I liked Glass Houses I didn't think it was anything amazing but after reading most of Anne Stuart's Ice series I thought I'd give this a try and see what I thought.

There were a few similarities between Michael Dubrovnik and some of Anne Stuart's Ice series hero's. Or you can see where she got her ideas of those hero's from. It was very much a bittersweet story much like the Ice series.

Billionaire corporate raider Michael Dubrovnik has never lost a negotia
Sheila Melo
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gentler Stuart Romance

THE STORY: Laura de Kelsey Winston has a modeling agency in her white elephant of a historic building in New York City. The building has been in the family for generations and Laura is determined to keep it there. Michael Dubrovnik, aka "The Whirlwind" is a businessman who is planning on building a new complex right where the Glass House currently resides. He is determined to get Laura to agree to sell the building by any method necessary.

OPINION: This a less dark Stuart bo
moi
Oh... I have re-read this book after a long time... Anne Stuart books hooked me to this genre of books and that was 3 years back.... I had started with her historic romances and this book was my first few in the contemporary section.. :)

I had loved this story then too and love it now too... the story was very cute and sweet...
This book has two love story but I have always enjoyed Mischa and Laura's more... both of them were a strong, determined, stubborn-ed characters who were perfect for each o
Anita Bianchi
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Potete trovare tutte le mie recensioni su http://bianchianita1971.blogspot.it/

Sono convinta che se questo romanzo avesse avuto qualche pagina in più e qualche anno in meno sarebbe stato eccezionale, ma anche così si difende bene! Teniamo conto che questo libro risale alla fine degli anni 80; i protagonisti rispecchiano pienamente la vitalità, l'intraprendenza e la pazzia di quegli anni. Laura non è la solita bella e oca: ha un aspetto piuttosto comune, un'intelligenza acuta e non si lascia intim
Jessica
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: category-romance
I wish I'd realized that Anne Stuart wrote this, I'd have started an AS glom years ago! This book been on my "if I ever send in a HaBO request" list forever. I vividly remember reading it in high school -- my failed attempts to like Poison (death by tuberose) and my disdain for Laura Ashley are entirely due to this book. (Not so memorable: the false rape accusation ploy, but in the '80s that trope was like breathing air.)

Really enjoyed the leads, and the secondary romance, and the family interac
Lord Rose
I picked this up at my UBS, and my sister's immediate reaction upon seeing it was, "Oh my God, that's the ugliest cover I have ever seen." I then went on to tell her that the hero was a "ruthless Russian tycoon with [a] heart of borscht," and then she was just confused. (Borscht is kind of a family joke, so please just ignore me.)

I definitely enjoyed the book, though, the cover notwithstanding.

I found the end somewhat unsatisfying, and wish there had been a bit more after their reunion.
Chris
Loving every banter of Michael "The Whirlwind" Dubrovnik and Laura Winston.It always left me smiling. I love the rain scene, the pale pink couch clashing with Laura's red micromini skirt, her 4 inch stiletto, her 5'1.5" height (sistah!), Mischa's name, Zach, Susan, and FRANK!!! (*swoon*).

There's nothing I hate about this. This was a sweet tuck-me-in romantic comedy and I never thought Stuart can do mild cheesy shrewd love affair. With that, I became a melted kisses.
LJ
GALSS HOUSE - Okay
Stuart, Anne - part of Men at Work series

Billionaire corporate raider Michael Dubrovnik has never lost a negotiation--until he meets Laura de Kelsey Winston, owner of Glass House. Now he's in a struggle for property--and his heart.

Trump-type billionaire and a model agency owner fight over a building. It was only okay.
Lua
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Why I'm giving it 5 stars? Not because it's perfect or the best story I've ever read. But this book has been written a quarter of a century ago and it hardly shows its age. Had it been longer and a little more developed, it would have been wonderful.
Is there any other writer that can make my heart flutter over a holding-hand scene? I don’t know, so far she’s the only one.
Amy
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. This book has romance, intrigue, and great storyline. I was quite disappointed when the book reached an end. I was hoping there would be a sequel to it. Anyways, onward to the next Anne Stuart book!
D.K. Lawsan
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anne Stuart never fails to deliver

At this point I'm quite sure I've read all of her book and proudly so! This was better than fifty shades with Anne's dark wit and edge of danger.
Tanisha
Loved it.
Had it all. Great charactes- Strong willful heroine, rugged clever hero.
Great side characters.
Great plot.
Loved it- I know i wrote it twice :)
Adwina Ralston Cumberbatch
termasuk baguuuuus untuk ukuran Harlequin..
si hero licik banget. bahkan pas endingnya
si cewe dikibulin buat tandatangan surat nikah..
Xixixixixixixixi
Nanette
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-kindle
it wa cute. very non-anna stuart like. a normal, decent guy! liked both characters very much. snappy dialogue. good plot.
Nawo
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i wanted to rate it 5 stars in the middle of the book...
Doublea25
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was angsty, heart-in-your-throat good. I love Laura, and I loved that I wasn't sure about Michael till the end.
Kathy Anne
This one by Stuart was just OK to me,the reason is that I don`t care for the h fighting the male executive story ...more
Diane "Candy" Thompson
Jun 19, 2008
Dina
Sep 09, 2013
Farrukh Ahsan
Nov 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Anne Stuart Fans: Glass Houses Rereleased on Kindle! 9 9 Aug 18, 2015 09:25PM
  • Ash and Mary-Lynnette: Those Who Favor Fire (Night World, Extras)
  • Mistress to the Tycoon
  • Blame It On Cupid
  • Just One Taste (Recipe for Love #3)
  • The Incurable Matchmaker
  • Heart on Fire
  • Can't Get Enough
  • Hester Waring's Marriage
  • The Desert Virgin (Knight Brothers, #1)
  • Reckless Conduct
  • Wizard
  • The Seductive One (Marcelli, #3)
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • Never Marry a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #3)
  • With This Fling
  • Third Time's a Charm (Holland Springs, #3)
  • First Dance (The Bridesmaid Chronicles, #3)
  • Innocent in the Ivory Tower
Anne Stuart is a grandmaster of the genre, winner of Romance Writers of America's prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, survivor of more than thirty-five years in the romance business, and still just keeps getting better.

Her first novel was Barrett's Hill, a gothic romance published by Ballantine in 1974 when Anne had just turned 25. Since then she's written more gothics, regencies, romantic sus
More about Anne Stuart...