Start by marking “Keturah and Lord Death” as Want to Read:

Booklist's Top 10 Youth Romances, 2007

White Pine nominee, 2008

"I
Published 2006 by Red Deer Press

To ask other readers questions about Keturah and Lord Death, please sign up.
Darina The origin of Lord Death is not a plot hole because his origin does not influence the plot at all. He is not the grim reaper, he is Death itself. I…moreThe origin of Lord Death is not a plot hole because his origin does not influence the plot at all. He is not the grim reaper, he is Death itself. I think his origin is much better left unexplained. Where does death originate? Where does life? None of this matters to the story anyway, the only thing that matters to the plot is that he exists.(less)

Emily May
“There is no hell, John Temsland. Each man, when he dies, sees the landscape of his own soul.”

This book kind of stomped all over my heart. Not because of the love story, which I don't consider a spoiler because anyone with a brain will see it coming from the beginning (Or the cover. Or the description.). But because of the beautiful, magical simplicity of the writing and the world and the characters. I love stories like this, that capture the timeless magic of fairy tales and make you feel lik
Tatiana
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fairy tales similar to "Plain Kate"
Recommended to Tatiana by: Jillian -always aspiring-
Update 6/5/2017 Interesting, I feel exactly the same now as I did 6 years ago...

I have been such a Debbie Downer lately, moaning so much about lack of good books, that I completely forgot how much I enjoyed Keturah and Lord Death.

You know how some authors can infuse magic in their works using simple, everyday words? Their stories always have that fairy tale air about them. Robin McKinley is great at it, Laini Taylor, Erin Bow, Juliet Marillier. And so is Martine Leavitt.

Keturah and Lord Death is
Maggie Stiefvater
I am having one of those lucky runs of book reading where I keep pulling very Maggie books off the shelves. Of course, this book had come highly recommended to me as a Maggie-book, but . . . well, it's just not the sort of summary that begs you to pull it off the shelf. It's the historical, aspect, I think -- I invariably end up enjoying a lot of historicals over the course of the year, but I always think, before I start them, that they'll be more work.

Well.

The plot of this slender novel is sim
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Medieval peasant Keturah, a beautiful 16 year old girl known for her story-telling abilities, sees a lovely hart in the forest and decides to follow it for a while (because medieval peasants had lots of time to wander after stray harts) and ends up hopelessly lost. After three days of wandering in the forest, she meets Death in person when he comes to take her.

description
Not this guy.

Lord Death is kind of hot, but ice-cold at the same time.
description

So Keturah bargains with Lord Death, trying to get another chance
Amanda
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I can't even tell you how much I loved this book...made even more special because it will forever be the book that I read the day my mom died. And I think that was "meant to be". The way death (not the person) is treated in the book is so reverential and gave me a great perspective...like this passage:

"Tell me what it is like to die."
He dismounted from his horse, looking at me strangely the whole while, "You experience something similar every day, " he said softly. "It is as familiar to you as
Navessa

It’s a sad day when you think someone isn’t good enough for Death. What’s that condemn them to? Surely not endless life, that seems like more of a reward. Purgatory then? I suppose if I believed in it that would apply here but wait a minute, don’t you have to be dead to go to purgatory? Drat. I'm back where I started.

At the beginning of this book I thought Keturah was a brave, selfless, humble and honest young woman.

By the end I thought she was a cowardly, selfish, dishonest and dim witted chil
Anne
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that teetered between Wow! This is awesome!, and What the hell is this?. In the end, I think that size really does matter, because I believe the length of the book was it's saving grace. There were some things in it that probably would have really annoyed me if the book had been much longer, but the author managed to keep it short and sweet at around 200 pages.
I would recommend Keturah and Lord Death to anyone who likes a nice blend of fairytale and fantasy.
SR
Jun 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to SR by: mistful - the only time she's led me astray
Sophie
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful ♥ ...more
Bonnie
Gah! This book was wonderful, and would be an automatic add to my favorites, except for 2 things. I know. Me and my 2 picky things, but they're big issues. Maybe eventually this will go in my favorites, but for now those 2 things are bugging me too much.

Keturah follows a beautiful deer into the woods one day, and after a long chase, discovers that she is lost and cannot find her way back. On the verge of dying, Lord Death comes to take her, but, Keturah, renowned in her small town for her storyt
Irene Sim
It's been a while since I've enjoyed a book only for the prose and not the plot. I don't remember exactly how this book found its way into my TBR list, but I'm glad I gave it a chance.

Excellent storytelling, an imaginative cast of characters, a magical time-frame that borders classic fairy tales. The writing has the quality of making the make belief into reality, the plot flows in a way that you can't stop to question them based on common sense. It is full of remarkable quotes, too many to put o
Angie
Jun 18, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retellings, ya, fantasy
This one has been getting lots of good press and was a National Book Award Finalist for 2006. Keturah and Lord Death is a sort of Scheherezade meets Beauty and the Beast meets the Persephone myth, in which a young woman is forced to spin a new tale each night to keep her captor from killing her. In this version, her captor is, in fact, Death himself (hence the Persephone connection), and he actually lets her go on the condition that she will return the following night with the end of the tale. S ...more
Linda
A Fairy Tale

"Keturah, tell us a story, one of your tales of faerie or magic."

Yes, Keturah, do, but I would have a tale of love."

"A story, yes, but a hunting tale, please, one of daring and death."

"One to comfort your heart on a gloomy day."

And so it was. Keturah told her tale of following a great stag into the forest and she became lost. Without food or water for three days, she slowly started to die and who should she meet on the third day? Lord Death.

Except she refused to go to The Great Beyo
Liz
"Undying," the eldest girl corrected. "And eternal.”

Keturah, a young girl, gets lost in the deep forest after following a legendary hart. Soon, she feels that Death is near and when he finally appears Keturah asks him for another chance. She desperately wants to live, so she captures the Lord Death with her story and promises to tell the end of it when they meet the next time. And the Death gives her one day. One day to find the true love and stay alive.
But the search for the true love is n
Drew
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I find it difficult to express just how much I liked this book—and even trickier to explain what it's about.

This is a very beautiful, very simple story.

When Keturah is lured into the woods by a hart, she finds herself lost and unable to find her way back to her medieval village, Tide-by-Rood. Just as things are beginning to look grim, Death appears—only he is in the shape of a man named Lord Death and Keturah has been able to see him all her life.

Keturah weaves an intriguing tale for Death, but
Miriam
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy
This story starts with a young woman following a mysterious hart into the woods, where she becomes lost for days. On the verge of death, she sees Lord Death and bargains for an extra day of life to find her true love. Also, she learns from Lord Death that the plague is coming and wants to warn people so they can stop it. I guess I was supposed to be rooting for her as she accomplishes various not very interesting feats, saves the village, gets her friends married off, and reaches the conclusion ...more
Sonya
"Readers will be carried away on the wind of Leavitt’s words, and few will be able to guess how she finally ends her story.” And yes, I was indeed carried away .

Keturah is beautiful and a great storyteller. One day, she got lost in the forest and met Lord Death. She bargained with Lord Death by telling him a story, a love story of a girl who hadn’t found her true love, yet without the ending. She promised to give the ending only if Lord Death kept her alive for another day. Lord Death was intr
Giovanna
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read
“And so he did his endless work,' I continued quietly, 'without feeling, without pity, without rest, for to open his heart to these would be to open his heart to his loneliness and longing and that was beyond bearing.”

Read this one with Claudia (kind of, sort of, but still) :3

This was incredibly cute and heartwarming.
Keturah and Lord Death is a fairytale. You know, when your mom, or your dad, used to tuck you in at night and read you something to make you fall asleep? Keturah and Lord Death cou
Althea Ann
I chose to read this book after 'Rebekah' because in that story, Keturah is Abraham's concubine after he is widowed. But the Keturah in this book has no connection to the Biblical figure at all.

This book is a Gothic Folktale, relating in a very pure, fairytale style a story of a girl who follows an enchanted hart into the forest and meets with Lord Death. '1001 Nights'-style, she holds off the handsome and regal Death by telling him a story and withholding the ending, eliciting promises from him
Rebekah
Sep 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i'm going to have to reread this because I thought i lOVED it????
Jessica
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lyrical, deceptively simple tale about a girl who barters with Death for her life and the lives of her loved ones. There are shades of Scherazade here, as Keturah catches Death's attention by beginning to spin a tale of true love that she will not finish unless he lets her go. I love this sort of fantasy, where elaborate world-building has been put aside in favor of beautiful writing and layered characters.
Blair
I really enjoyed reading this book.
If you think about it this book was very creepy and weird,but surprisingly also a very beautiful story.
(view spoiler)
Summer
A very heartwarming tale with writing reminiscent of your favorite fairy tales. Keturah and Lord Death managed to steal a few tears from me despite its relatively unconventional structure and spellbind me with the way love and death were handled. The characters, aside from Death, were unremarkable--but the atmosphere and tone set by the sophisticated prose made up for them.

I was torn between 3.5 and 4 stars, but now I realize that this short, simple story was utterly unique in ways that I am no
Holly
Apr 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this YA fantasy novel set in early Middle Ages England all in one day. Quite easily, in fact. Like a lot of literature aimed at teens, it's a feather-light read, and it goes even quicker because I guarantee that you've read this all before. The story is riddled with cliches. A Faustian bargain made by an otherwise good character. Someone has to find true love on a deadline or they'll die. Buying time from the executioner by telling a story with no ending. Been there, done that. Utterly pr ...more
Heather
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has been recommended to me over and over, so I finally read it! I definitely enjoyed it, and felt like I was reading an old fashioned fairy tale.
enqi ✨🍒 (high lady of the night court)
This book was delicious.

Keturah and Lord Death is a sort of Scheherazade meets Beauty and the Beast meets Persephone myth, retold in a joyously delicious and riveting way. I absolutely loved this book.

When Keturah is lured into the woods by a hart, she ends up hopelessly lost and finds herself unable to return to her medieval village, Tide-by-Rood. Her strength diminishes until, finally, she realizes that death is near. Little does she know that he is a young, handsome lord, melancholy and s
Mary-Beth
When I picked this up I expected it to be fluff and I wasn't mistaken. If you're looking for some fluff then don't be scared away by my review. This book was decent for what it was, an odd combination of some fairy tale archetypes. It was a bit of a mixture of the storyteller from The 1001 Nights and those fairy tales where Death is present as a character.

The biggest problem I had with the story was its realism. But the way the thing was written, it was clear you weren't supposed to expect any r
Krystle
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romance novels always get the tough end of the stick in the business and are usually dismissed in the hierarchy of literature. The critiques constantly point out the abundantly flowery language, severe adherence to plot conventions, and stock characters. Well, let me tell you this book uses the tropes of the romance genre to absolute perfection.

One of the most prevalent formulas used in romance books is the idea of the pure, virtuous female who tames the dark, devil-like male character and refor
Enna Isilee
A great fairy-tale like story about finding true love and the hidden side of Death. Simple, but nearly made me cry at the end. Definitely reccomend it.

Click here for a more detailed review
Rebecca ♥ Warner, Kishan, Magnus ♥
This review can also be found on my blog: A Match Made in Heaven

his was such a unique story. I loved it. It read like a fairy tale, or folklore or myth. Keturah was such an unusual girl. She had never been in love, but she wanted to love with all that she was. It seemed to be her life's ambition to find her soul mate and fall madly in love. But there was no one that piqued her interest. She gave everyone a fair chance. She was very forward about it. She spoke to every man in her town to see if s
Recommend books about heroine who falls in love with Death? 1 4 Apr 14, 2018 06:52PM
How did this book affect you? 1 7 Dec 19, 2017 06:57PM
  • The Hollow Kingdom (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #1)
  • Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1)
  • The Truth-Teller's Tale (Safe-Keepers, #2)
  • A Curse Dark as Gold
  • An Earthly Knight
  • Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
  • The Raging Quiet
  • Black Pearls: A Faerie Strand
  • Water Song: A Retelling of The Frog Prince
  • The Perilous Gard
  • The Seer and the Sword (Healer and Seer, #1)
  • Shadows on the Moon (The Moonlit Lands, #1)
  • East
  • Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)
  • Toads and Diamonds
  • Lips Touch: Three Times
  • Bella at Midnight
  • The Princess and the Hound (The Hound Saga, #1)
Martine Leavitt has published ten novels for young adults, most recently Calvin, which won the Governor General’s Award of Canada. My Book of Life by Angel was a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize and winner of the Canadian Library Association Young Adult Book of the Year. Other titles by Leavitt include Keturah and Lord Death, a finalist for the National Book Award, Tom Finder, winner ...more
More about Martine Leavitt

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Axe and the Throne (Bounds of Redemption, #1)
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Tell me what it is like to die," I answered.
He dismounted from his horse, looking at me strangely the whole while. "You experience something similar every day," he said softly. "It is as familiar to you as bread and butter."
"Yes," I said. "It is like every night when I fall asleep."
"No. It is like every morning when you wake up.”
190 likes