Start by marking “The Devil's Apocrypha: There Are Two Sides to Every Story.” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Apocrypha: There Are Two Sides to Every Story.

The Devil's Apocrypha: There Are Two Sides to Every Story.

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  216 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
We all know that the victors of battle write the history. But what if that history is wrong? What if it is very, very wrong... We all know the tale of Satan's fall from grace. Of his defeat at the hands of the Lord God. But what really happened? A new manuscript has been uncovered. Written by a priest visited by the devil himself. A priest who then left the church to find ...more
Published November 13th 2002 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Apocrypha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Apocrypha

S.M. Johnson
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well. I am somewhat fascinated.

The beginning is slow. The style is a bit similar to when Anne Rice gets into writing about history - which means better paced than your dry old history book, but... still, not the fastest read.

But at loc 1253 starts the Devil's commandments, and they are perfectly wonderful.

I've always considered myself an atheist, but perhaps I have been wrong about that.

Couple of my favorite examples from the Philosophies:

"The path of life must be thine own, let not others cho
Palindrome Mordnilap
May 12, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dreadful-books
It is very seldom that I am unable to finish a book out of sheer tedium. Even if a book promises little after the first few chapters and continues to show no evidence of improving some further chapters later, I am inclined to persevere. I know that writing a book is no easy task, and once committed, I feel I owe the writer the common courtesy of finishing what they spent months, if not years, crafting.

I say this, because John A. De Vito's "The Devil's Apocrypha" is one of those rare exceptions:
Adam
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I ended up getting this because it seemed rather intriguing. I really enjoyed "To Reign in Hell" by Steven Brust and I thought maybe this would be on similar lines. I was sort of confused at first when I was reading through this book, mainly in terms of if this was fantasy or if the author actually thought all of this was real? Personally, I think its fantasy, but I don't know about it because he goes through lengths to actually include pictures of these ancient and lost manuscripts. So maybe he ...more
Phillip
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is truly an excellent book.
The other side of the story.
The true story about the Devil who spoke to a monk
and the monk went crazy.
The bible was totally wrong and although they
say its fiction you may change your mind after reading this book.
This book is what I would call forbidden knowledge. I truly enjoyed reading this book and will reread this every now and then, few books will grip you and make an impact on you like this book.
And I read this book sometime back and cannot stop thinking abo
Jeff Wilson
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I couldn’t finish the book, as the style it is written in was to biblical in nature and reading it became a chore
Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: weird
WARNING: If you are easily offended by anything which throws less than a positive light on Heaven or the Church, do not under any circumstances pick up this book. You'll really hate this one and label it as blasphemy.

Luckily, I don't have any trouble with this type of fiction, and I don't believe that this was meant to be anything but fiction. Looking over the Internet, however, I was surprised that there were people who totally believed in what was said between the covers. Ah well, to each his
Kunal
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
A book that starts off with a great premise doesn't necessarily have to end well. The premise: this is the Bible told from the Devil's point of view. Through his apostle and the Three Mad Prophets, he decides to tell His version of how things went down after God created the world - starting right from Adam and Even till Armageddon. No doubt that makes for a great story, and for effect De Vito writes the book in a biblical English language. But therein lies the problem. Intelligence is not define ...more
Angie
Oct 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, wishlist
This book was self-published, and quickly became an Amazon.com international bestseller. Further proof that writing a great story is more important than who you know.

This is very familiar story that's given longer roots and turned on it's head. It asks the familiar question "What if everything we think we know is false?". It's classic role reversal, but on a grander scale.

What if Satan were the true savior, and God the villain?

Where this story goes terribly right is that it doesn't just drop you
Jesse Winslow
Aug 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Concept: Biblical stories told from the perspective of the Fallen ones.

Delivery: If it didn't have the stupid beginning/premise (a secret manuscript discovered in his grandpa's house) or the half King James-half modern writing style I'd enjoyed this book much more.

Consensus: Two things I really liked about this book. #1 the whole concept of creation, what God is, what the angels and demons are, and how the Genesis stories played out made more sense than the actual Bible stories. #2 The chapter
Paul Fisette
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was ok

Points for self publishing. Sadly, it does show. This book is in need of a good editor and a proofreader. The story drifts, it lacks focus, and oftentimes I was left wondering whether I was reading a story or a manuscript on someones personal religious beliefs. Clearly De Vito wrote this book with a particular theology in mind, but at some point he needed to choose whether this was going to be a fictional read or a theological treatise, trying to combine both makes each aspect fall flat.
Zac
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've always been interested in different perspectives to stories (e.g., what was the bad guy doing while the good guys were two steps behind, etc.). I liked "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire for that reason.

The book is described as the documentation of a manuscript dictated to the author's great-grand uncle by Satan himself... Lucifer's explanation of the Bible myth. Nevermind that, the story described presents some interesting, and often, more sensible explanations to events and actions accounted fo
Tracey
Feb 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
A well-written book--I have the utmost admiration for writers who can pack a punch in a relatively short, but very tight narrative. It's almost a "Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead" take on traditional Christian fairy tales (save the alternate point of view is a major character--Satan). No matter your beliefs, you have to appreciate the innovative and refreshing twist that DeVito takes. Bonus points that he's self-published.
Sergio
The Devil's Apocrypha is a well written book, however I found that I was not thrilled by it. The author John De Vito did a fine job of simulating the speech and text of the bible, and the narrative was well done, but even with the combination of sci-fi and historical fiction, the ending fell flat for me.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the whole thing, nor am I sure if I would recommend it to anyone. At best I would say that I am ambivalent about the whole book.
Judas Iscariot
Feb 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
An interesting take on Christianity, focusing in on the beginnings of Satan and God. If taken as another tale for Christian mythology, then one might find it quite interesting. I especially enjoyed the reasoning of Satan, but I felt that the beginning and middle were far more interesting than the end.
Crystal Caldwell
Very creative and well written. It is written from another perspective of well known bible stories, so it can be a bit dull at times. But overall it was a good story by a guy who really did his homework on history and biblical stories.
It's definitely not for everyone, but to those not easily offended it is a quick book worthy of a read.
Bryce
Nov 05, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
De Vito makes very little attempt at actual story telling here, focusing instead on his anti-religious agenda. I say this as an atheist myself, but evangelical atheists are just as obnoxious as their religious counterparts.
Susanne Iles
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: occult
"The battle between good and evil began long ago."

This book is a chilling read. It's the tale of the world's creation and the Apocalypse told from the viewpoint of Satan. This book will cause you to question many of your once firmly held beliefs.
Tony Tran
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction-novels
took 4 years of stopping and starting but boy.... it was a trip. even though this book has takes on Christianity that people will frown upon, there is some good philosophies on the bearer of light. comes up very Zen / new age-ish
Brian Laliberte
Oct 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booksiveread
Though a work of fiction this was an interesting take on the greatest story ever told. It was also an inspiration for Spycraft.
April
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was hard to find, but it was definately worth it.
Ellie
May 23, 2007 rated it liked it
Not bad for a self-published book, but the typos and bad grammar started getting to me after a while.
stan
May 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
Awesome story telling the Bible from another perspective, one of the best fiction stories I have ever read.
Juliet
Feb 10, 2011 is currently reading it
Shelves: gave-up
So far, badly written but intersting..I'll keep reading...
Priscilla Del Gesso
May 09, 2012
Cynthia
Jan 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Deals with Demons (Angels & Demons, #1)
  • The Seraph Seal
  • The War in Heaven: The Chronicle of Abaddon the Destroyer
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • Demon's Fall
  • Tears of the Furies (The Menagerie, #2)
  • Lucifer's Flood
  • The Prophecy (The Watchers Chronicles, #1)
  • Infernal Angel (City Infernal, #2)
  • Lady Lazarus (Lady Lazarus Trilogy, #1)
  • and Falling, Fly (Harrowing #1)
  • Concrete Savior (Dark Redemption, #2)
  • Angel
  • A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits
  • My Avenging Angel (Angels and Demons #1)
  • Warrior Angel
  • From the Ashes of Angels: The Forbidden Legacy of a Fallen Race
  • Vellum (The Book of All Hours, #1)