Start by marking “Apocrypha” as Want to Read:
Apocrypha

Apocrypha

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  256 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The Apocrypha consists of the books that are found in the Greek version of the Jewish Bible--the Septuagint, the earliest complete version of the Bible we possess--but that were not included in the final, canonical version of the Hebrew Bible. For this reason, they were called “Apocrypha,” the hidden or secret books, and while they formed part of the original King James ve ...more
Published October 23rd 1989 by Vintage (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Apocrypha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apocrypha

Samantha
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The Apocrypha formed an integral part of the KJV Bible of 1611. But the Puritans discredited it and by 1629, it was no longer considered a part of the Bible. Most of the books have never been found in any Hebrew form at all. However they were in Greek as well as Latin earlier on. To me it's almost like a sequel to my favorite book. And even though it can't be called the inspired word of God, there is still much to learn from it! It's full of Biblical history, words of wisdom, and yes, even love ...more
SmarterLilac
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think I love this more than any other parts of the Bible I've read. This particular version is highly readable, obviously translated with great care.
Tom Schulte
This is a very readable, modern-feeling translation of the Apocrypha even today. Each work has a a preface summarizing the text and giving context. The work's introduction by Moses Hadas feels insightful on the inter-testament works as a whole as trying to make sense of the Chosen People understanding why they suffered so much. Generally, these works do much to set the scene and give exposition to the New Testament events.

Aside from purported history, there's a lot of sound wisdom here, as in S
Shelley Alongi
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I always need to read books like this more than once. It's kind of like the bible you can always reread it. Kind of like complicated literature, I think. Some of the material in these pre New Testament books is good, some of it is questionable. I'm interested eventually if seeing if some of these writings are reflected in the understanding of Messiah in the gospels since there is the four hundred year silence between accepted prophets and the gospels. It's always a subject up for investigating o ...more
Kathy England
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
These are the books that were in the Greek version of the Jewish Bible but not included in Protestant Bibles. I read them out of curiosity. It was interesting, but I doubt that I will ever read them again. There was history, fiction, advice, poetry, etc. I was glad to read about the origins of Hannukah.
Kelli
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: western-canon
The Apocrypha, has several stories that are still considered essential to western canon and cultural development even if they’re not officially recognized in several sects of Christianity or Judaism.

I actually enjoyed many of the passages more than some of the canonical biblical books. Several stories are more fable and wisdom driven, though you will still find the standard denigration of women and slaves. Overall, it may not be a necessary component of biblical texts to read unless you are part
Lisa (Harmonybites)
The Apocrypha consists of 14 "books" that were part of the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible together with Greek works on biblical themes. They were part of the canon for all Christians from the fifth century on, but fell into disrepute with Protestants because they weren't part of the original Hebrew scripture--yet they were part of the original King James Version of the Bible and was only dropped later. And they're still considered canonical by Catholics and Greek Orthodox. ...more
Dorian Driscoll
I've read through the Apocrypha a few times, though not this particular version, even though I've referenced several version for different reasons. Most of the reviews of this book seem to acknowledge (at least implicitly) that the exclusion of these books from the Protestant canon wasn't too big a deal, and that there isn't some "hidden" treasures to be gained which was purposely kept from readers.
Another thing to add to this is that the Apocrypha isn't hard to find. Any Harper Collins or Oxfor
Lisa
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Lisa by: Potter's School Classical Year Track 2
I read 1 Maccabees 1, 2, 8, and 13. This Apocryphal book chronicles the history of the Maccabean revolt, an event memorialized by the Jewish festival of Hanukkah. It reads much like a book of the Bible, although it is purely historical in nature.

I also read Bel and the Dragon which is an extension of the book of Daniel. In this story Daniel refuses to worship the god Bel who he claims is not real and does not eat the food given him every night by the priests. Daniel ends up proving that Bel is f
J. Alfred
Undoubtedly interesting, with varied sources of interest, just like the canonical Protestant Bible. There are some books that read sort of like clumsier versions of Job or Esther-- one might call it the pious-folk-tale genre (I like Tobit best of these). Then there are Ecclesiasticus and the Book of Wisdom which the editor assures us are important documents in the history of religious thought (I think there's real truth to the idea that Wisdom as seen in Proverbs kind of gets bigger and stronger ...more
Jamie
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Wanting to be well-read and see things from diverse perspectives, I made this a part of my daily devotional reading. At the time, the only thing I knew about the Apocrypha was that it was left out of most mainstream Protestant Bibles, but appeared in some Catholic versions of the Bible.

These are books that, because they are written later, are not officially recognized as a part of the Biblical cannon. But they are still a valuable read. Aside from The Wisdom of Solomon, most of the books are act
Debra
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book in 2006 while doing some biblical research. I pulled it off the shelf this year to read in its entirety. My favorite book within the apocryphal text is The Wisdom of Sirach. It reads much like the Book of Proverbs.
Legion
Jun 10, 2007 is currently reading it
So far, not bad, reminds me I've got to put the Koran on the to read shelf, but I know myself and it's going to be quite some time. There isn't much info here other than the translation. From the intro, the guy seems to be a relatively unbiased "believer". Coming from a pretty much non-believer, I'd take that as a "compliment", the unbiased part I mean.

Before you read this, read the Bible. I'm saying that as a person who is not pushing the religious side. I took a class that was called Bible as
Marts  (Thinker)
Jan 08, 2008 rated it liked it
I've actually read the New English version of this book, or maybe I should say set of books. Most of these stories more or less tie into many Old Testament stories, eg,"The Rest of the Chapters of the Book of Esther" , but for varying reasons were omitted from the standard King James. In some cases I see why this omission took place, however, some passages are quite inspirational and good advice for everyday life, for example, "The Wisdom of Jesus the Son of Sirach, or Ecclesiasticus".
Jill
Jan 03, 2010 added it
Shelves: religious-canon
I got this as a gift from my brother my freshman year in high school. I was surprised to find a lot of genealogical sections in it. I really enjoyed some of the stories in here. Favorites of mine included two subsections of Daniel - "Bel and the Dragon" and "Susannah and the Elders," and the book of Judith, which is rather reminiscent of the story of Jael and Sisera (an OT favorite of mine)
Kathleen
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Definitely need the Holy Ghost to guide while reading this to glean the truth out of it......
Vrinda Pendred
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
I enjoyed the Book of Wisdom. I didn't feel a lot of the other books added much to the standard Bible, though.
Deanna
Certainly some interesting reading....
Guy David
Jan 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
I read about all of this that I could stand for the present. I do not think that I am in the right frame of mind to admire any of the beauty that may be hidden here.
Virgowriter (Brad Windhauser)
See what I have to say about The Apocrypha at www.bibleprojectblog.com
Tim
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Awful Bible stories. The puritans for once got something right.
Don Gubler
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Good history and religion. Certainly some is inspired if not prophetic.
Douglas Wilson
May 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, history
Excellent. Also read in November of 1980.
Mike
Jun 10, 2012 added it
Interesting collection of proto and/or pseudo-Biblical readings. Valuable lessons. Completion (perhaps) of many Biblical stories. Macabees, and the book of Tobit (my fav) are included.
Michel
Cathy
Nov 30, 2012
Doering Carolyn
Jan 03, 2014
  • The Inspirational Study Bible: Life Lessons from the Inspired Word of God -New King James Version
  • George Muller: Man of Faith and Miracles
  • Gitagovinda of Jayadeva: Love Song of the Dark Lord
  • My Heart's Cry
  • Paradise Restored: A Biblical Theology of Dominion
  • The Puritan Hope
  • How to Pray
  • What the Bible is All About Bible Handbook
  • Ten Commandments of Working in a Hostile Environment
  • The Power of Praying?: A 3-In-1 Collection *The Power of a Praying? Wife *The Power of a Praying? Parent *The Power of a Praying? Woman
  • Jewish New Testament Commentary: A Companion Volume to the Jewish New Testament
  • Footprints Of A Pilgrim
  • Sexism and God Talk: Toward a Feminist Theology
  • What I Wish My Christian Friends Knew about Judaism
  • The Bible Answer Book
  • Primeval Saints: Studies in the Patriarchs of Genesis
  • البحث عن يسوع : قراءة جديدة في الأناجيل
  • How To Be Born Again
Edgar Johnson Goodspeed (1871–1962) was an American liberal theologian and scholar of Greek and the New Testament. He taught for many years at the University of Chicago, whose collection of New Testament manuscripts he enriched by his searches. The University's collection is now named in his honor.
More about Edgar J. Goodspeed