Start by marking “The Yearling” as Want to Read:
The Yearling

Read Book

The Yearling

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  26,428 ratings  ·  1,147 reviews
No novel better epitomizes the love between a child and a pet than The Yearling. Young Jody adopts an orphaned fawn he calls Flag and makes it a part of his family and his best friend. But life in the Florida backwoods is harsh, and so, as his family fights off wolves, bears, and even alligators, and faces failure in their tenuous subsistence farming, Jody must finally par ...more
Paperback, 1st Aladdin Paperbacks edition, 513 pages
Published September 2001 by Aladdin (first published January 1st 1938)

To ask other readers questions about The Yearling, please sign up.
Ellie Pojarska I have not read the book, but my 10-year old just finished it and absolutely loved it. I think he said that there were a couple of moments that were a…moreI have not read the book, but my 10-year old just finished it and absolutely loved it. I think he said that there were a couple of moments that were a bit difficult emotionally, but he didn't seem deterred by them. He is a pretty sensitive boy, too. (less)

·  26,428 ratings  ·  1,147 reviews

Start your review of The Yearling
Diane Barnes
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reads, favorites
I have read this book twice before, once as a child, and again as a young adult. It was presented as the MOD choice on the group "On the Southern Literary Trail" by Tom, so I took the opportunity to start the New Year with a Pulitzer Prize winning novel that I already knew would be a wonderful read. I had forgotten just how great it really was.

The setting is Florida in the 1870's, before concrete and condos and retirees and tourists. Before Disney World and Universal and Gatorland. This was a Fl
Elevetha
I absolutely hated this book. I'm not even sure that "hate" describes how I feel.

This is based purely on how I felt reading it and not the writing quality, though that was really rather poor as well.

I suppose that most people were supposed to have this reaction:

description

and then natter on about how amazing this book is. How the "coming of age" story is so poignant and beautiful. How they wept and then fainted from the overwhelming feelings that they had for Jody. And, of course, how they recommended thi
Chrissie
First time around, I gave this Pulitzer winning classic first published in 1938 four stars. Now, second time around, I again think it is worth four stars. It’s gripping, and it’s moving. It is equally good for adults and children. It’s worthy of being classified as a classic—it speakers to readers generation after generation. It is a well told story with prose that shines.

It is about a fawn that becomes a yearling and about a child leaving childhood behind.

The story is set in the 1870s in the
Loretta
Finally! A Pulitzer Prize Winner that I actually enjoyed! Five big stars! A boy's coming of age story filled with great love! Very sad in parts but very spiritual and warm hearted as well. Highly recommended. 🤗 ...more
Erika
I started this classic novel with only a vague idea of what it was about. I knew the book was supposed to be sad and I knew “the yearling” was a deer. But that was it.
As it turns out, I was partly wrong about both things.
Yes, the novel is sad, extremely so, but its overriding feature is an almost ecstatic love of animals, especially wild ones. And yes, the yearling is a deer but more importantly, it’s also the story’s protagonist; a 12-year old boy caught right in that moment between an innoce
C. Janelle
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Every night for three weeks, my nine-year-old and I would snuggle together under a blanket, tea cups balanced on our laps. I would read aloud in what my spouse says was a pretty good Southern accent and she would read along silently over my shoulder.

After we'd finished the book and blown our noses and she'd talked a bit, I realized that she and I got different messages from the story. She loved it for the outdoors and the animals---both the cute baby animals raised by Fodder-Wing and Jody and t
Sara
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sara by: Southern Literary Trail
The Yearling is Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings’ Pulitzer prize winning novel about the coming of age of Jody Baxter, the son of a backwood farming family that is trying to eke a living from a bit of high land in the Florida scrub shortly after the Civil War. The story is about a boy’s love for a fawn, a man’s love for his son, and the difficult lessons life throws in the path of a boy who lives in a world where he must become a man in order to survive.

There are many wonderful characters apart from the
Martin
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you read a book and it is just words on a page, sometimes it becomes a story. And sometimes, when you're very lucky the book becomes so real you feel transported right into the pages. That was my experience here.

I loved Jody and Penny's relationship, how overwhelming Penny's love is for his son, how much he wants for Jody to learn and grow. And how he watches Jody enjoying life.

The Forresters were entertaining and heartbreaking at the same time. There is much to learn from the characte
Tom Mathews
The Yearling is a fine coming-of-age novel that I have somehow managed to avoid reading until know. Fortunately, thanks to the fine folks at the On the Southern Literary Trail Goodreads group, I finally had the opportunity to read and discuss it with others who appreciate it.

Uninformed readers such as I will automatically assume that the yearling in question is the fawn prominently displayed on the cover but that is not really correct. It soon becomes apparent that the fawn is but a minor chara
``Laurie Henderson
At least young Jody was having a wonderful and happy childhood until the last chapter...
Debbie Zapata
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020printbooks
Oct 23, noon-fifteen ~~ Review asap. Must think just a bit first.

Oct 23, 9pm ~~ My GR friend Werner and I traded comments recently about Reader's Digest Condensed Books. While neither of us would read anything in such a format these days, we both remembered certain books we had enjoyed in our younger days (for me before I understood what the term 'condensed' meant!). His book was Edna Ferber's Giant, and mine was this one, The Yearling.

Of course that exchange made me realize just how much time h
Lesle
The Yearling in 1938 brought Rawling's the Pulitzer Prize and worldwide recognition as a great talent., she wrote about what she knew, poor life but close to nature. I believe it is well written, but some of the dialect I had to reread to understand.

Penny Baxter chose to leave behind the city to live on an isolated island with his family. Along with that, comes the daily struggle of surviving. Penny has the will to keep getting back up once knocked down by all the incidences that take place on
Rob Warner
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A Civil War-era coming of age novel that's a spiritual cousin to Where the Red Fern Grows, but with a broader story and a deeper dive into life's challenges. Reading this book reminds you how deeply people understood the consequences of choice, as sloth translated brutally into starvation. Indeed, the need to work for one's supper every day, planning for both the moment and the future, contrasts starkly with our present-day welfare state that, for some, rewards indolence.

One other thing that jum
Book Concierge
Rawlings’s 1938 Pulitzer-winning novel focuses on the boy Jody, his parents Ora and Penny Baxter, their neighbors the Forresters, and their hard-scrabble lives in central Florida in about 1870.

I first heard of this classic of children’s literature when I was about 10 years old, but I never read it. I hadn’t even seen the movie. I had only a vague notion about the plot – a boy and his pet deer, “the yearling” of the title. I’m so glad that I finally read it.

Rawlings tells the tale from Jody’s p
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
I was not expecting to enjoy this book as I did. Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings simply was not an author I had a remote interest in. I went to the library and happened to see some books for sale for a dime. There was one containing the letters of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings and Max Perkins. I had no idea who Max Perkins was and I did not care for Rawlings.

But there is something about a thick hardcover selling for a dime that I find irresistible. So I bought it and eventually read it.

I am glad I did, be
Christian Engler
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In past reviews, people have speculated that if The Yearling were to have been published in today's times, would it still have been awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Literature. For me, I would have to say that that would be a resounding yes. I say so because the novel captures, with vivid simplicity, a bygone American era via the stark usage of the literaty resources available to Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings at the time, quite simply, the values, environment and language which surrounded her. Being th ...more
Donna
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic
This is a young adult Pulitzer Prize winner. I loved this book. I know readers seem to have a love hate relationship with this one, but I loved it. I loved the setting, the language, the characters, the life and the way the relationships were depicted.

Survival is such a strong theme in this book. It has it's tentacles in everything....decisions, choices, relationships and thoughts. I like that the characters were put in situations where they had to make the hard choices even when it was the las
Sue K H
Oct 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a nice wholesome story with an emotional ending. It was too slowly paced for my taste but it's a good YA book. ...more
Peggy
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I wish I could give The Yearling 10 🌟s

The Yearling reads like a fairytale, at the same time contains true life lessons! I love to lose myself in amazing characters, places and times so captivating and exciting. You’ll need tissues to catch your tears from laughter and to catch your streaming tears of sadness.

Jody -n- Flag shall remain in my hear always!! ❤️
Mary Slowik
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Mary by: a librarian
A classic I had never been assigned to read or really had recommended, this 1938 novel was suggested to me by a librarian and I read it chapter by chapter over a number of weeks.

Taking place on "Baxter's Island" in post-Civil War Florida, this follows the bond formed between a boy, Jody Baxter, and a fawn he rescues from the wild and attempts to domesticate. I found it surprisingly touching, with some beautiful passages depicting the ineffable link we may feel between ourselves and nature, espec
Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ...
The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings won the Pulitzer Prize in 1939. She told a story for children that is highly enjoyable for adults. Rawlings told stories about the poor people of her time. They were people whom she understood. They are close to nature, hunters and fishers, living off the land. The dialect is true to the time and place and sometimes hard for this modern day woman from the west to understand. So, I bought the audiobook and listened while I read and it was such a beautiful ...more
Gaye
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gaye by: Classic Chick Book Group
What language. It was dense and thick and like poetry. The story, The Yearling, is of a young boy named Jody and his life in the hardscrabble backwoods of northern Florida in the late 1800's. Jody and his parents live a solitary life and one where frivolous things don't belong. Yet all Jody wants is something that belongs just to him; a pet. When his father is struck by a rattlesnake in the deep woods, a doe is shot and killed for her healing organs, leaving behind a tiny fawn. This fawn now bec ...more
Christopher
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Judy
Childhood memories:
I've avoided reading this book for decades. I watched the movie once when I was quite young and was horrified. Bambi was sad, but this was devastating.

Recently, an older friend gave me her first-edition copy of the book, knowing that I'd value it, but not realizing the depth of my feelings about the story. She, however, convinced me that I should give it a try since I enjoyed Rawling's Cross Creek.

2019 review
From 0 stars to 5 stars. Obviously, my thinking has changed over the
Cee
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Looking at the book cover, I thought I was going to read about a child and his pet deer. Well, there is a child and there is a deer but their relationship is only secondary to that of the boy and his father. I think that this is foremost a story about a father and his son and the valuable life lessons that he gives his child through one memorable year. Taking care of a deer is just one of those life lessons.

The boy Jody lives with his parents in the Florida brush in a time when children were ex
Kathleen L. L.
Jul 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Jenn Garrett
Aug 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I had never read this classic, despite the fact that it is set just south of here, I have seen the original manuscript at UF archives, and been to Rawlings house where whe wrote it. It was slow, but there is some nice vivid imagery of rural Florida. The story is centered around a boy, maybe ten years old, and his expireinces growing up as an early settler in Florida. I was shocked by Rawlings descriptions of some of the female characters, but understood after finishing the book whay she wrote th ...more
Gelo
Jul 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
I HATE THIS BOOK PERIOD! PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS! YOU WILL MISS HALF OF YOUR LIFE OR EVEN MORE! hahahaha
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this book because I was required to, and any joy I may have gotten out of it was destroyed before I even started.
Luisa Knight
I am not one for animal stories ... but this was so well told and more about a father and son's beautiful relationship than a pet. Lush descriptions, superb character development and hints of Gene Stratton-Porter-ness make this a captivating read.

Cleanliness:

Profanity
Mild Obscenities & Substitutions - 25 Incidents: blasted, tarnation, h*ll (place), c*ck (rooster), h*ll, dad-ratted, boogers’ll, boogerish, d*mn
Religious Profanities - 21 Incidents: Oh dear goodness, Gawd, by God, bless Heaven, mer

• The Late George Apley
  • A Bell for Adano
  • Now in November
  • In This Our Life
  • Old Yeller
  • Honey in the Horn
  • Lamb in His Bosom
  • Dragon's Teeth (World's End Lanny Budd, #3)
  • The Store
  • Advise and Consent (Advise and Consent, #1)
  • Tales of the South Pacific
  • The Enchanted Places
  • The Reivers
  • The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters
See top shelves…
Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings was an American author who lived in rural Florida and wrote novels with rural themes and settings. Her best known work, The Yearling, about a boy who adopts an orphaned fawn, won a Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1939 and was later made into a movie of the same title, The Yearling. The book was written long before the concept of young-adult fiction, but is now commonly inclu ...more