Start by marking “Families of Two: Interviews with Happily Married Couples Without Children by Choice” as Want to Read:

Families of Two: Interviews with Happily Married Couples Without Children by Choice, takes us into the lives of the growing number of couples who are choosing not to have children, and dispels the myths commonly associated with this choice.
Paperback
Published November 20th 2000 by Xlibris Corporation (first published September 21st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Families of Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Families of Two

Jessi
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Heck, I liked this book even before I started reading it! One of my biggest pet peeves is when people ask a married couple, "When are you going to start a family?" Umm, the day they got married they became a family, dumbass. I'm glad to see that some other people understand this simple fact, too.
S
Oct 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who don't want children, people who aren't sure if they want chidlren
Great book filled with interviews with couples who are childless by choice. They answer questions like "What do you feel marriage means today?", "What would you tell people who aren't sure whether they want children?", and "how would you response to someone who told you that not having children is a selfish choice?".

Interesting mix of couples from young to old, urban to rural, in many different places. The author acknowledged that she had a hard time finding childless couples of other cultures
Katherine
Dec 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childfree
Laura Carroll interviewed 30 couples that were happily married for a minimum of 10 years and had made the decision not to have children. The book includes 15 of those couples interviewed. The couples respond to questions that reflect a variety of reasons that lead to couples choosing the childfree life. The interviewer did a nice job of arranging the book by couple including some stunning black and white photography of the couples by Krista Bartz. The book is relaxed and engaging...it has the to ...more
Lauren
Feb 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Four stars not because I learned anything from it, but because of what it can teach other people who might think the choice to not have children is somehow different or other or abnormal, and can't imagine how childfree folk manage to have meaningful, happy, fulfilled lives without the obligatory +2.3. This book is to childfreedom what "The Truth About Witchcraft Today" is to paganism in that when someone expresses an interest in knowing more about why you are the way you are, you can simply han ...more
Dawn
Mar 22, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book features interviews with couple who have chosen to not have children. The author interviewed dozens of couples, and asked them all mostly the same questions. Many of the respondents' answers were quite similar, so it was somewhat repetitive. It was an okay read, but a bit dated. I'd like to read a modern take on why more people today are choosing to remain childless.
Michelle
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting more interviews with people who struggled with the decision of whether or not to have children, but most of the individuals seemed to say that they'd never felt like having children... so it wasn't especially helpful for me...
Julie
Sep 24, 2012 added it
A quick read of interviews. If anything, I wish the interviews had encompassed older couples, beyond their 70s.
Stephanie
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
I liked reading everyone's answers to the same questions. About 20 pages of text were missing. The pictures were on the page and the page numbers but nothing else.
Hilary Benoit