Start by marking “A Thread Unbroken” as Want to Read:

A Thread Unbroken

Many believe that those who are destined to be together are connected by an invisible red thread. If that is so, the fates of Chai and Josi are weaved together and tied with a knot that cannot be broken.

Chai has been the self-appointed protector of her best friend, Josi, since their toddler days. Their lives are as far from extravagant as can be imagined — but they don’t
Published November 27th 2012 by Lake Union Publishing

Start your review of A Thread Unbroken
Rebecca
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
In China, two young women, Chai and Josi, are kidnapped and sold as child brides. This started out with a lot of promise, but the story soon felt flat for me, especially the ending, since it felt rushed and unrealistic to me. I hate to say but the girls were treated too well and it all felt too happy. I doubt that would really be the case in this instance.

Audiobook

Location: China
Sara
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: asia
Had an interesting premises. Two modern-day Chinese girls are kidnapped and sold to a fishing family who wants one of them for a bride for their son and the other is used as a servant. The father of one of the girls carries on a search for them.

Unfortunately, the pace of the book was slow and I just couldn't get into the characters at all. I felt no commitment to them or anxiousness over their situation. I was surprised to find that this is one of many books by Ms. Bratt. I thought it might be
Starla
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I recieved this book as a part of the Goodreads First Reads early reviewer program.

Wow! Just wow! I was pulled into this book right from the beginning. I couldn't put it down all day. This book put me on an emotional ride. A book about strength, and never giving up. A father who openly shows the love he has for his daughter on the journey to find her, where other fathers wouldn't even give it a second thought of when it came to their daughters; it would be one less mouth to feed. It's sad to
Diana
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
The beginning of the book had me tensed as the main characters' kidnapping unfolds. The rest of the book seems unrealistic but it is fiction after all.
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
It took several chapters for me to really get into this story. I found the writing to be very simple. It could easily be understood by a very young reader, but the subject matter is more mature in nature. The author appeared to have done a lot of research. I'm not a world traveler, so I can't speak to the accuracy of the Chinese culture reflected in the story, although most of it was fascinating. Other cultural differences left me feeling equal parts outraged and horrified. I found it sad that ...more
shannon  Stubbs
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed it

I really enjoyed this story. I read it with my 8 year old daughter. It opened up a conversation about going e with strangers, no matter how they look and act, could be dangerous. The story was about these two girls who were kidnapped to be child brides for families in a fishing village. The emotional journey of the two girls, and one of the fathers, had me wanting to wAnt to know what happens next. There were many parts in the story where I was in tears over sadness and
Heather
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
A well written book that explores the terrible realities of being poor in China. I admired Chai's resilience and determination in spite of her abduction and abuse. Her father's refusal to give up on her is admirable even when the officials are useless and everyone else thinks he's crazy to keep searching.
Gail Nelson
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very light quick read. Heartbreaking yet heartwarming. I'll read just about anything by Kay Bratt!!
অভ্র তিয়াশ
"If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow..."

"I have four sons. You were brought here to wed one of them."

"Baba always told me that people are connected to those who are supposed to be in their lives by an invisible red thread. We might be a little off track right now, but I promise we’ll find our way back to where we are meant to be.”

জোশি (Josi) আর চাই (chai) চীনের নিনমবিতত পরতিবেশী দুই পরিবারের বেডে ওঠা বছরের মেযে। জোশির করিপল লেগের জনয হাঁটতে
Donna J
A real problem in a REAL world..expressed unrealistically

‘A Thread Unbroken’ reveals a very important narrative. Human trafficking in China. Whether it is now or the past, it remains a problem that unfortunately still exists in China and many other countries today.

The author, Kay Bratt, wrote ‘Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters’ of which, I say is brilliant. Ms. Bratt also advocates for children as well. Which brings me to my next comment regarding
‘The Thread Unbroken’. It was so cliched.
Donita L. Keeley
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unknown world

Although fictional, this book will serve to educate readers about the prevalent human trafficking that takes place. The story, set in China, points out the many cultural aspects that fuel the practice of kidnapping and selling children for many different reasons. Unfortunately, while the reasons may differ around the world, the outcome is devastating to the families and to the victims. Hopefully this book will raise awareness of and solutions to a despicable practice.
Greeshma Karkera
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
The First half is good, the second half gets serious after they are kidnapped and the last half was the one that really irritated me and made me believe that somehow the author just wanted to finish this story. It was so rushed that i could hardly understand where this was all going. And so many cliches. This may be fiction but even a fiction becomes exhausting when cliches over shadow the story. I wish it was a tad bit realistic.
Nance Roepke
Wanted to like it but didn't

The concept of two teenage friends being taken from their families and hoping to find their way back home could have and should have been suspenseful and exciting but wasn't. Instead it was boring and dragged. I hate to quit on a book but gave be up a third of the way through. I would have liked to have learned the outcome but didn't want to waste any more of my life. So 2 points for concept.
Amanda
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good moving book but a bit too happy

*Mild spoilers ahead*
I enjoyed this book and listened to the narration over only a few days. My only complaint is that it was almost too happy. Everything works out perfectly in the end and no one is hurt. This just seems unreasonable for a book about child kidnapping, and children being sold to families for labor & wives. Otherwise it was really uplifting and great to have an older man who didn't believe in the gender norms of China.
Kathi Olsen
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Although this is fiction it is based on a problem in many countries. Stealing children for slave or sex (not in this book) trade. Stealing two girls for the intent of grooming one for a bride for the oldest son. The main character was fortunate enough that her father was progressive in teaching her that a female has worth even in China. The author ends the book with her experiences dealing with this subject. A worthwhile read and an opportunity to admire the characters.
Jackie Bouvier
I enjoyed the book, for an easy read, and topic awareness.
However, It does have a few typo or proofreading errors.

The writer doesn’t capture realistic actions, emotions, or drama associated with this very serious issue, but I wasn’t looking for a heart wrenching book, so this fit the bill for me.

Yes, It has some short comings, but don’t let that deter you from reading it. If you want extreme realism, fill it in with your imagination.

debby lopez
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of hope

Within the first couple of chapters in this book I was already dreading the horrors the two main characters were going to go thru. I was pleasant!y surprised that although it brings into view the atrocities of human trafficking and also how girls and women are still often treated it was a story of strength, endurance, love and victory.
Jane Reid-Roberts
A thread Unbroken

Well written story of child trafficking in China. The author portrays characters who are strong and who make the best if their lives but never give up. Strong family ties between Chai her friend and Chai’s father made the book so meaningful, I was ”hooked immediately ”! The surprise ending was so emotional and shocking! I enjoy all of Kay Bratt’s books.
Ronda Caldwell
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chinese father's love for daughter

The trafficking of girls in China and other parts of the world is real! This story may be fiction but no less poignant. I did not know about the trade into slavery; had only heard of the prostitution side of the problem. This father's love did not allow him to Give up the search. Really liked the surprise ending.
justin
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Thread Unbroken

Although fictional, "A Thread Unbroken" provides insights on true child trafficking in a subtle way. A determined father's love to find his daughter and the skills he gave her to never give up and speak her mind. To break the Chinese myths and misconceptions. This book captures your interest from beginning to end.
Amanda Torres
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moving story!

Well developed characters, good plot line, and the story moved forward nicely. Enjoyed the strong female characters Chai and Josi, and the quiet strength of Tao. Story about hope and family, which sometimes isn't family by blood, but in who travels through life with you.
susan tallent
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent books!

The books by Kay Bragg have opened the world of China for me. I get tired of reading the same type book over and over. Her books are adventure, travel, love of family, abandonment by loved ones, triumph over adversity. And finally enduring love between husband and wife. Thank you!
Dawn M. Findley
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth your time and money!

I loved this book and enjoyed learning about the Chinese culture. I couldn't put this book down. The only critique i have is that the epilogue was too quick and easy. I would've liked to see the story drawn out a little more. But that's because I loved the story and the characters! I highly recommend.
Gail A.
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kay Bratt never disappoints. A Thread Unbroken is a powerful story of friendship and a father's love for his daughter. Best friends, Chai and Josi survive the unthinkable after their abduction. Their courage and strength overwhelmed me. Chai's father's determination to find them was powerful and unyielding. This is a book of hope, faith, love, friendship and bonds never broken. A must read.
stephanie toth
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tragic tale of human trafficking.

I truly loved the characters in this story. The human spirit is amazing. I pray that books like this will shed light on the horror of human trafficking.
Jan Crossen
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An exciting read that highlights the tragic realities of child abductions in China. It is also a fabulous story of parental love and the strong connection between a father and his daughter. I highly recommend this book and author!
Lynda
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartfelt

This book was another winner for Kay Bratt I started reading Kay Bratt with the Scavengers Daughters series i find myself looking for what's next the stories are very real and emotional i can't wait for the next read
Linda Gutierrez
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absorbing story line

I had previously enjoyed the series The Scavenger's Daughters, so I picked up this title about Chinese orphans and human trafficking. I love the authenticity and the voice is very genuinely reminiscent of the Chinese characters.
Donna Kernan
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful story

This book has a great story and it is sad to know how close to the truth it really is. It makes you stop and think how could this still be happening in the 21st century.
Chris Sheppard
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written.

This was a very good book. The author really keeps your interest and really gets into the characters. I just did not want to put this book down. Recommend this author.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Stay
  • The Road She Left Behind
  • Second Hand Heart
  • Where The Story Starts
  • Have You Seen Luis Velez?
  • Only One Life
  • Just After Midnight
  • The Mudlark Orphan
  • The Family Journal
  • Home for Wounded Hearts
  • Wildflower Christmas (The Wildflower House #3)
  • A Bittersweet Surprise (Starlight Cove #3)
  • Walter's Purple Heart
  • Funerals for Horses
Kay Bratt is the author of eleven full-length novels and two children’s books. Her writing became her solace and support while she navigated a tumultuous childhood, followed by a decade of abuse as an adult. After working her way through the hard years, Kay came out a survivor and a pursuer of peace—and finally found the courage to share her stories. A wise man once told her to “write what you ...more