Start by marking “What Our Eyes Have Witnessed” as Want to Read:
What Our Eyes Have Witnessed

What Our Eyes Have Witnessed

(The Zombie Bible #2)

Imperial Rome is a city on the brink, her citizens divided by class, religion — and zombies who feast upon the living.

The patricians cling to the old faith, hoping to appease their ancestors by lavishing food upon the tombs of the dead, even as the poor starve in the streets. They blame the zombie outbreak on the Christians, certain they have angered the ancestors into unl
Published August 14th 2012 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about What Our Eyes Have Witnessed, please sign up.
Stant I am sorry to be so late to answer your question! Yes. Yes, any of the volumes can be read first.

Devlin Scott
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zombie Bible: What Our Eyes Have Witnessed
by Stant Litore (Review)

This second volume of the Zombie Bible takes the events (loosely) of the Martyrium Polycarpi in the second century AD and weaves a possible story around the recorded event. You can use Google, I know you've learned how.

Mr. Litore finishes his Acknowledgments with a single line, “And to all of you, my readers, - it is you who make these stories breathe.” I have to be honest…I feel as if this story has ‘breathed’ into me. I was mesm
Lily at Bookluvrs Haven
I very enthusiastically picked up this second installment already expecting great things. And once again, Mr. Litore failed to disappoint. His writing is superb. His imagery is engaging. Once again, I was punched in the gut, but most definitely in the soul, with the depth of his story telling.

Whereas in the first book I relished in the zombie deliciousness of gory images and death, and faintly attuning into the surprisingly profound story of its main character, I was fully prepared for it in th
S.G.
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I was this close to done with the zombie thing. I loved World War Z but by this season of Walking Dead I was kind of praying someone would cut the head off the zombie trend. No need! Litore has opened a beautiful new path on the flesh-gobbling zombie trail.

Beautiful writing makes all the difference. Litore keeps the horror alive in his descriptions of the ravenous shuffling dead - gruesome imagery and palm-sweaty tension had me jumping at any rattle on my windows. But it's the huma
Michael
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in a Rome a generation or two after Nero, the book follows the parallel stories of a Roman official struggling to cope with the rising of the restless dead, and the leader of an underground Christian (never referred to by that name) sect trying to deal with the dead according to his own faith, while also trying to protect his flock from the persecution of said official.

As with the first volume in the Zombie Bible series, "What Our Eyes Have Witnessed" treats both the religious themes and th
Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)
The Good
If I was going to write a one word review, it would be WOW. Just like the previous book, I was speechless when I finished What Our Eyes Have Witnessed. Litore once again surrounds us in a world so realistic, so horrific that you want to shield your eyes from the words that so effortlessly paint a picture of hope, despair, and hunger.

Father Polycarp has seen the withered souls of the walking dead in their sightless eyes. He knows what causes the dead to rise and devour without thought. I
Clifford Luebben
An Intriguing Experience

The author is definitely a skilled wordsmith and clearly researched the times of 2nd century Rome enough to give a descriptive world and to effectively get into the heads of his characters. The biggest problem with the book might be that he spent too much time in the heads of his characters; although, it is also in those spaces he gives us some quotable golden nuggets of wisdom.
My biggest beef with the historical bit is probably in some of the ways he describes the churc
Noelle Brighton
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exquisite writing and a compelling story. I was unable to put down this gritty, sometimes difficult to read, piece as I just had to know the fate of the characters and their story. This author has such an eloquent writing style and his desire to share this story shines through throughout the book. Evidence of a great amount of research is found throughout. Highly recommend.
David
Feb 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cask-wine
6CD Talking book borrowed for car travel and to try something different. Didn't work for me but played all 6 CDs to the end.
Ron Giesecke
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The second in the Zombie Bible series managed to leave the chronological biblical spectrum entirely, and take us to ancient Rome.

Caius, the head of the Roman Praetorian guard, is charged with the religious as well as the logistical protection of Rome. Thus far, the walking dead are but a distant, albeit audible afterthought, confined to ravishing the destitute lower classes in the outskirts–known as the insula.

When these barriers are breached in horrifying fashion, certain revelations begin to c
Kari J.
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’m not sure I’ve ever read a book like this one before. I’ve read zombie stories (who hasn’t?) and I’ve read Christian horror novels (Frank Peretti and the like), but I’ve never read both together at the same time.
Ok, I must also admit – I’m really not a huge fan of zombies. For me, the whole zombie apocalypse is over. Seriously. And I haven’t even read any of Jonathan Maberry’s books either.

It’s just over.

Until I read WHAT OUR EYES HAVE WITNESSED by Stant Litore.

Now, don’t get me wrong. Stant’
Robert Kroese
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me say first that Stant Litore is a friend of mine, and that I received a free copy of What Our Eyes Have Witnessed in exchange for writing an honest review.

WOEHW (which should be pronounced Wow! In my opinion) is the first entry in the Zombie Bible series. The title The Zombie Bible is sort of a double-edged sword: on one hand, it’s very descriptive: this is a series featuring Biblical characters fighting zombies. And yet, that title has a sort of jokey, ironic feel to it, as if we could ex
Justin
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
What Our Eyes Have Witnessed is the second novel in author Stant Litore's "Zombie Bible" series, which is more or less what it sounds like - zombie stories with Biblical themes. The first installment (Death Has Come Up into Our Windows (The Zombie Bible)) was set in Old Testament times, while What Our Eyes Have Witnessed takes place in Rome in the earliest days of Christianity.

The book focuses on three main characters - a Christian leader named Polycarp with a unique power to affect the living d
James Jr.
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Father Polycarp has a Gift. He can bring peace and rest to the restless dead.

I just completed my second helping of Stant Litore’s incredible series “The Zombie Bible.” I didn’t immediately fall in love with What Our Eyes Have Witnessed as I did with Death Has Come Up into Our Windows…at least not at first. I’m just not a fan of second century Rome. But let me tell you something: whether you like Rome or not, Litore’s masterful hand will drop you directly in the middle of the Eternal City and gui
gone-plaid
Nov 16, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like I wasted my time with this book, and have no idea what those good reviews were talking about.

I had low expectations for this book just because of the topic, but I was pretty disappointed by the quality of writing, and the narrative.

You can tell that the writer got this idea from knowing someone else who is probably obsessed with ancient Rome, and they got together and said, "Hey, what if zombies were in Rome?" and then wrote this book. Sprinkle a few historical words in there to make
Janet
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book more than I did, but it's the weakest of the three Zombie Bible books I've read so far.

The problem was the frequent use of flashbacks, which interrupted the story's sense of urgency without providing any payoffs of genuine surprise or illumination. The plot would get to a crisis point, then jump back in time to provide more information. But with the exception of the meeting of Polycarp and Regina, the events all took place within a few days. The flashbacks felt like a
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
I enjoyed this read. Even knowing how it was going to end for the most part I still found myself drawn to the atmosphere and style of language.

It was difficult to read about people blaming the zombie plague on certain religious groups, knowing that this happens so much still. None of the characters in these books really take any responsibility for the predicament they're in except those that are fortunate to have a direct link with "God". I put that in quotation marks as I'm agnostic myself. Ho
J.H. Sked
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here's the thing I've found about the two books in this series so far: although they involve zombies, and the awful horror of having the living dead walk through your life and your town, the subtext is a lot deeper.

In this instalment, Stant Litore examines what happens when a rigid man cleaves to what he considers to be his honour, even while his actions cause destruction and heartbreak. He looks at what happens when a truly honourable man comes up against the belief system of the world he lives
Adam
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had been wanting to read one of Stant Litore's books for some time, and so I naturally gravitated to the one set in ancient Rome.

I'm so glad that I did! This was a very thought-provoking read about the want and hunger in all of us. For me, however, it was more about the test of the characters' faith. The author has done a good deal of research, it seems, into early Christianity. It was very interesting to read a book about one of the early church fathers, St. Polycarp in this instance.

If you a
Terry
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
GREAT writer but

What a REALLY awful story! Ancient Rome destroyed by zombies?! You gotta be kidding me! I only read it to see what the author's writing was like, wondering if it would be worth the money to buy the Ansible stories. I believe his writing is terrific, even if the subject material is trendy garbage. It does sell and there's no sense in starving (yes, huge pun intended).

The author is a young man and like my son, is mesmerized by the on-going but fading zombie fad. I will buy his exis
Niknik
I got this book for free for signing up for something thru Amazon. I'm not a fan of zombie stories but this one caught my eye because of it taking place in ancient Rome.
The first day, I read half the book already.
This is actually the second in a series of three books but they work as stand alone stories. The premise is that the "plagues" of historic periods were actually episodes of zombie infections run amok. In this tale, it is the Christians that bring the "Apostles Gift" to Rome which offers
Amanda McCrina
Disappointing. Quite well-written on a technical level, but very little character development over the course of the story; at the end, none of the characters have grown or changed in any way. I wanted more resolution, especially of Caius' story. Also, I found the relocation of Polycarp from Smyrna to Rome to be unnecessary (why not just invent an analogous character?), and Polycarp's relationship with Regina to be a bit odd (father-daughterly, except with a weird sort of sexual tension going on ...more
Dj
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Better than I anticipated-not your stereotypical "zombie" book. It does look like it will be based on some semblance of history and science, and it will be a series of books. That being said, I would recommend reading this first book. You will either like it enough to continue, or be bored and never read the rest of the series. I enjoyed it enough to get the 2nd book, for whatever that may be worth as a review.
Vicki
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The good reads listing says this is the 2nd book! I have really been confused about order on these, but it didn't really seem to matter much when reading the individual stories... and I actually read this one 2nd!

The main characters of this story are relatable, yet tragic. Fascinating. Funny too how a twist of facts can give a whole different spin on history. Something to think about.
Alice Stuart
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book.

Love love loved it.

It's a fun little romp through ancient Rome, which is now overrun with zombies.

This book balances character development and historical detail with zombie gore. It is perhaps the best zombie novel I've ever read.

If you like zombies, and you like well written books, you'll love this book. Highly recommended.
James
More biblical zombie goodness. This one focuses on the Roman persecution of Christians and the martyrdom of Polycarp. The writing is outstanding. Worth reading, even if you're suffering from zombie fatigue.
Steve Wiggins
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An innovative addition to zombie literature that manages to be respectful of religion as well. Further comments may be found on my blog: Sects and Violence in the Ancient World.
Vincent Piro
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second in the series by Stant Litore. The first was a masterpiece of social criticism. It's part of Amazon's Kindle singles e-book collectin.
Loch Harlan
Oct 26, 2012
Chris
Nov 11, 2014
Juliet
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Free Books, .99, ...: Giveaway - The Zombie Bible Book 1 & 2 3 83 Oct 19, 2012 04:38AM

• Deadlocked (Deadlocked, #2)
  • The Mutilation Machination
  • Extinction Red Line (The Extinction Cycle #0.5)
  • Zombies vs The Living Dead (Surviving The Evacuation #0.5)
  • True Choices (True, #3)
  • Real Good Wolf (Dirty Monsters, #1)
  • Hunting Season: A Love Story
  • Claimed by Her Web Master (Web Master, #3)
  • Don't Eat Cat
  • Mountain of the Dead
  • A Bedtime Story (A Bedtime Story Trilogy, #1)
  • Convergence (A Shrouded World, #3)
  • Faithless: Tales of Transgression
  • Coils
  • Rotter World
Stant Litore is the author of Ansible, The Running of the Tyrannosaurs, The Zombie Bible, and Dante’s Heart. Besides science fiction and fantasy, he has written the writers’ toolkits Write Worlds Your Readers Won’t Forget and Write Characters Your Readers Won’t Forget, as well as Lives of Unstoppable Hope and Lives of Unforgetting, and has been featured in Jeff Vandermeer’s Wonderbook: An Illustra ...more

The Zombie Bible (5 books)
  • Death Has Come Up Into Our Windows
  • No Lasting Burial
  • Strangers in the Land
  • I Will Hold My Death Close (The Zombie Bible)