Start by marking “Hattie Big Sky” as Want to Read:
Hattie Big Sky

Hattie Big Sky

(Hattie #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  14,863 ratings  ·  1,965 reviews
Alone in the world, teen-aged Hattie is driven to prove up on her uncle's homesteading claim.
For years, sixteen-year-old Hattie's been shuttled between relatives. Tired of being Hattie Here-and-There, she courageously leaves Iowa to prove up on her late uncle's homestead claim near Vida, Montana. With a stubborn stick-to-itiveness, Hattie faces frost, drought and blizzards
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published April 10th 2007 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published September 26th 2006)

·  14,863 ratings  ·  1,965 reviews

JonathanT
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: his-fic
ACTUALLY THIS WAS A PLEASANT SURPRISE. Honestly I was afraid this was going to be SUPER GIRLY or SUPER ROMANCE-Y (or both). But… it really wasn’t? I mean it definitely would hold more of an appeal for girls, and it’s definitely not a new favorite, but the good news is that I only gagged once. *nods* (When the main character says something along the lines of “he’s so handsome, he can’t be evil.” And I feel like most girls would gag at that also. XD)

My favorite part about this was that it covers
Donalyn
My only regret? Why didn't I read this sooner? I can't wait to share Hattie with kids.
Beth
Hattie's character was an all-around joy to meet. Though her story ended differently than I thought it would, and, wow, are there some sad happenings in the story, overall it felt realistic. I appreciated that the author included the real-life inspiration for the story, and I will definitely track down the sequel (probably after I'm finished with this young adult class - the "genre" is wearing on me as a whole - give me a grown-up book, haha!).

If I have any gripe it's that there were a few time
Tatiana
The novel reads young (middle grade), but, still, it was a great pleasure to read this sweet, simple story of a 16-year old girl homesteading on Montana prairie during WWI. Hattie works hard, helps her friends, perseveres against many adversities.

Willa Cather for kids.
Mary
Apr 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Ages
Luann
Hattie is a sixteen-year-old girl who has been shuttled from relative to relative for most of her life after the death of her parents. When her uncle leaves her his homestead claim in Montana, she decides to make a go of it. Instead of being Hattie Here-and-There she wants to be Hattie Homesteader. In order to keep the place, she must prove the claim with enough fencing and farming to satisfy government specifications.

What a great story! I loved Hattie and her amazing spirit and determination. K
Jessica
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: award-winners
A well-researched look into claimstaking land. This is based on the author's grandmother's experience as a teenager, staking her own claim and farming the land by herself, and I can't even begin to say how impressed I am by all this. Also, I always thought of settling the west as being a pre-1900's thing, and this takes place at the end of the First World War. Fascinating read, with great characters.
Andrea Cox
4 stars

Montana always hooks me in. While I much prefer the western, mountainous side of the state, learning more about the eastern side filled with prairies and big sky is amazing too. Hattie features the eastern side of Montana, and the atmosphere definitely came alive for me. I felt like I was back in this beautiful land, right alongside the teen lead.

The emotion of this story had me laughing, weeping, irritated, and joyful. I love books that get all the feelings stirred up. The twists kept co
Lars Guthrie
Jul 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teenagers are perfect protagonists for historical novels. Two historical novels for adults that really impressed me recently, 'The Children's Book' and 'Wolf Hall,' feature adolescents as central characters.

The rite of passage from child to adult is universal. And as Hattie shows in Kirby Larson's touching story, young adults' ability to bridge the divide between world of the kids and the world of the grown-ups allows the reader to enter both.

The time is 1918, just after America's entry into t
Karen
I was doing the good reader thing, plugging along and enjoying the story. The setting of a Montana blizzard was quite appropriate at the time. The book had me going.

Then I did the naughty reader thing. My curiosity got the better of me, and I skipped and skimmed my way to the ending to find out what happened. Having done that, I lost interest in reading the rest of the book.

I do that sometimes.

I see this as a worthy book; themes of struggle against the elements, youth taking on responsibility, i
Cindy
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cindy by: Luann, Hollie
I don't remember who recommended this one to me, but thank you! I loved this story of Hattie Brooks, an orphan who has never had a real home of her own. She finds out that her uncle, whom she has never met, has left her his homestead in Montana in his will. If she can meet the requirements, the land is hers.

The trouble is that she has only 10 months to do it, and most of it by herself. The requirements are pretty tough, but Hattie figures with a good year, she just might have a place to call hom
Rebekah Morris
I'm not sure how to review this book. I enjoyed parts of it, got mad and ranted over other parts, cried at some, smiled at others, and cringed at some things.

What I liked:
I liked Hattie. She was trying to find who she was and where she belonged. I liked her friends in Montana, except for one person's misuse of the Lord's name. The descriptions, the setting, the time period all made me eager to read the book. There was some talk about prayer, attending church, and "God moves in mysterious ways,"
Noninuna
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-fiction
4.5 🌟

Hattie Brooks is an orphan, living with her uncle and annoying aunt when she received a letter saying that her maternal uncle leaved his inheritance which includes a house and some 300 acres land in Montana to her. She decided to go so she packed up and got on the train. Here is where her adventure begun.

I really, really like Hattie. She got some wit and very funny. I learned this a few pages in and instantly like her. She's just 16 years old but the way she thinks is so matured for her ag

Carol
Year Published: 2006
Awards: Newbery Honor Award, ALA-ALSC Notable Children's Book, ALA-YALSA Best Book for Young Adults, NCSS-CBC Notable Social Studies trade book for young people, Book Sense 76 Pick, Barnes & Noble Teen Discover Selection, Borders Original Voices for Young Adults Selection, Booklist Editor's Choice, School Library Journal Best Book of the Year
Age Level: 12-adult

This book is the story of Hattie Brooks, who is a young 16 year old orphan from Iowa. Throughout her life she has
Kathie
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hattie Brooks inherits her uncle's Montana claim in 1917. As a sixteen-year-old orphan, the chance to have a place of her own proved to be the driving force behind her determination to prove the claim. Moving from Iowa to Montana, Hattie encounters plenty of obstacles during her first year in this World War I novel.

Written in first person, Hattie Inez Brooks has called herself "Hattie Here And There" since her parents died. Passed around from one relative to the next, she jumps at the chance to
Books are TARDIS
Sometimes, the simple things in life are also the most beautiful. I feel like this certainly holds true for this book.

This historical fiction about a young girl's ventures in homestead farming in 1890's Montana reads mostly like a well written and delightful middle-grade fiction. I really liked Hattie's voice in the book. It is an earnest and hardworking person's voice, with an undercurrent of spunk. There are a lot of interesting side characters and wonderful friendships to be had in this story
Eva
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
Actual rating: 3.5

A supremely interesting look at life in Montana during WWI.
Jessica
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson and I am glad that I did. The conflict that Hattie faces to prove up her homestead is believable. The troubles she encounters and the obstacles she has to find a way to overcome find their way to make the novel out to be very convincing. The setting enabled the book to be all the more intriguing, but was not overdone with all the unnecessary usual boring details. The sky is described often, and at first the title troubled me until I learned that ...more
Carolyn Haley
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although categorized as a Young Adult novel, I read this coming-of-age story in my 50s and found it terrific. The main character, Hattie (who refers to herself as Hattie Here-and-There), is 16 years old in the early 1900s but forced into an adult mentality by the circumstances of her life. Like many fictional protagonists, she is orphaned early and passed around among family members, coming to rest with a domineering aunt and marshmallow uncle who keep a roof over her head while trying to browbe ...more
Becky
First sentence:

December 19, 1917
Arlington, Iowa

Dear Charlie,
Miss Simpson starts every day with a reminder to pray for you--and all the other boys who enlisted. Well, I say we should pray for the Kaiser--he's going to need those prayers once he meets you!

Premise/plot: Hattie Brooks, our heroine, has recently inherited her uncle's claim in Montana. She'll have a little under a year to finish proving her claim. It will require much of her--mentally, physically, emotionally. She's just sixteen--
Anne Osterlund
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hattie has never had a real home. She’s been here and there ever since her parents’ deaths during her early childhood. Then a letter arrives from Hattie’s uncle, who upon his death bed left his entire claim in Montana to Hattie. If she wishes, she has one year to complete the improvements on the claim and make it solvent before proving up on the land.

So at only sixteen-years-of-age, Hattie heads to the big sky country. In Montana, she battles one very hungry wolf, thousands of feet barbed wire f
Catherine
I was disappointed in this book - a Newberry Honor book because of all of the errors it contained. I am surprised that those who award the Newberry prize didn't find and correct these errors.

While the story is good,(not in my opinion Newberry good) the writing is not good. Hattie's uncle's last name is Wright, not Brooks, yet twice in the story she calls him Brooks - even having his trunk engraved with CB. He was her mother's brother, so he wouldn't have the same name.

The overalls Hattie wears
Kris
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A refreshingly different "prairie" book. Unlike most stories I've seen, this homesteading book takes place in Montana, during WWI, and involves only one 16 year old girl trying to live independently. That in itself makes this book unique, as opposed to the children's Little House books or adult prairie romances.

The pacing felt a bit slow, but I still enjoyed seeing Mattie's wins and losses. The writing can be both cheesy or poignant at various times, so you just have to take it all together. I w
Shelby
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars!
I don't really get into history stories, but this book was amazing. I have learned some things that I did not already kew before. It a great story about the time during wars that happened in America and what the people went trew. The writing is so good that I could really imaged everything. It was really interesting how and where the people had to move. I am so glad that I picked up this book. I am excited to get into the next book in the series.
Kim
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking forward to reading the sequel!
Alex Sanchez
I loved the strong, courageous, and vulnerable protagonist, as well as the realistic, complex resolution.
Aria
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this! Wasn't best thing I've ever read, but it was well written and enjoyable.
Tara Chevrestt
The year is 1917, World War 1 is in full force over in France, and in Arlington, Iowa, Hatti Here-and-There is about to become Hattie Big Sky.

Hattie is an orphan who has been shuttled from home to home, family member to family member only to find herself under her uptight aunt's care at the age of 16. When a letter from a long lost and recently deceased uncle arrives telling Hattie that she is now the owner of a homestead in Vida, Montana, Hattie jumps at the chance to get out from her aunt's c
QNPoohBear

This is a wonderful novel about a young woman's determination to do something that not many women did at that time. It's a coming-of-age story that resembles the later Little House books, but set against the backdrop of WWI. The incredible detailed descriptions of Montana combine with the first person narrative make me feel like I am Hattie, working hard and trying to make a home for myself. I can feel everything Hattie is feeling and experience her joys and sorrows tight along with her. The cha
Cassy
My book club has forced me to pick up a lot of books that I've never heard of (and of course, some that I have.) Hattie Big Sky was one that hadn't even crossed my radar before my book club. Which is too bad, because it's a great book.

First off, I like that it's done during WWI. With the Holocaust, WWII pretty much gets all the attention, but no one remembers what a big deal the first World War was. It was called The Great War, and a lot of our men went off to die. Hattie Big Sky brings to light
Isn't this one of the best books? 26 114 Aug 25, 2016 03:25AM
The Young Adult H...: Hattie Big Sky - March Group Read 8 16 Mar 24, 2016 05:19PM

• Penny from Heaven
  • The Voice That Challenged a Nation: Marian Anderson and the Struggle for Equal Rights
  • Show Way
  • Whittington
  • Sugaring Time
  • Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night
  • Black Duck
  • The Misadventures of Maude March (Maude March Misadventures #1)
  • A True and Faithful Narrative
Kirby Larson went from history-phobe to history fanatic while writing the 2007 Newbery Honor Book, HATTIE BIG SKY. Her passion for historical fiction is reflected in titles such as THE FENCES BETWEEN US, THE FRIENDSHIP DOLL, as well as the sequel to HATTIE BIG SKY, HATTIE EVER AFTER, and her two latest titles, DUKE--which was nominated for 5 state Young Reader Choice awards as well as being a fina ...more

Hattie (2 books)
  • Hattie Ever After (Hattie, #2)
“Hon, when someone's a true friend, there's no need to miss 'em." She patted her chest. "'Cause they're always right here.” 25 likes
“I will have to rely on that painful teacher, experience.” 20 likes