Start by marking “Gardening for the Birds: How to Create a Bird-Friendly Garden” as Want to Read:
Gardening for the Birds: How to Create a Bird-Friendly Garden

Gardening for the Birds: How to Create a Bird-Friendly Garden

You may already have a bird feeder in your yard, but you can attract a far wider range of species, and they will stay longer, if you create a bird-friendly landscape. Gardening for the Birds shows you how.

With the right native plants, arranged to mimic natural ecosystems, you will provide birds with food, water, shelter, and nesting places. Instead of just visiting your ga
Published July 2nd 2013 by Timber Press (first published June 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Gardening for the Birds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gardening for the Birds

Start your review of Gardening for the Birds: How to Create a Bird-Friendly Garden
Kelly Brenner
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Whenever I see another book about landscaping or gardening for the birds come out, I’m usually dubious. My shelves are full of generic guides on how to attract birds and unsurprisingly, they’re much the same. They usually focus heavily on bird feeders, bird baths and plants which are often labeled as native, yet are only really native to small portions of the country. It’s a very hard thing to write a book for the whole, giant, diverse continent and nearly every single one I have seen makes litt ...more
Dorothy
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening, nature
If you are interested in creating a habitat garden, a garden that fits seamlessly into your local environment and is welcoming to local wildlife, this is a book that can help you achieve your goal. George Adams' emphasis is upon attracting birds to the garden, but, in fact, his gardening method will also attract butterflies, bees, and other pollinators, small reptiles and amphibians, as well as avian visitors. It will be a place that is welcoming to them all and that is much more interesting for ...more
Leslie
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: birds, e-galley, gardening
A few years ago I began adding native wildflowers and shrubs to my garden in an effort to attract more birds and at the same time help the environment. It's still a work in process but now I have found a book that will help me finish my project. Gardening for the Birds is a wonderful resource that has everything one needs to know to create a bird friendly environment, all in one volume.

The book is divided into four sections:
• Planning for the food, water, shelter and nesting sites the birds nee
Hilary
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you live in the U.S. and have any interest in gardening or birds/butterflies, this will be an excellent resource for you. The aim of this book is, as the author says, "to give you the tools to set up a sustainable ecosystem in your own yard" by using native plants and an organic approach, whenever possible.

It's filled with great ideas and useful tips, interspersed with reference information, which range from laying out your garden to picking plants that give year-round interest, food and shel
Michael McCue
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very helpful book if you have a yard and want to make it into a little part of the natural world. The first section list plants that support birds and other wildlife. Native species and cultivated garden plants are both featured though the author favors using natives as much as possible. The second portion lists bird species and tells which plants each specie usually uses for nesting and food.

I was glad I found this on the shelf of local library. We just moved to a new home and want to make the
Debra Daniels-zeller
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature, gardening
Beautiful photos and lots of great tips for luring birds in your yard no matter where you live. I really appreciated specific plant suggestions for specific birds, as well as ideas for feeders. This book belongs on the shelf of every gardener. A great gardening resource.
Brandy
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nicely organized. Tells you which plants help attract which birds. I'm inspired! I'm looking forward to planning a backyard redesign. This book tells me how!
Lily C
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
A useful book. I particularly liked the lists of plants with indicates of use birds, insect, nectar, shelter, nesting and so-on. A good attempt to cover most of North America which is always difficult.
Sharon
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Beautiful photographs and provides a wealth of information for matching birds and plants.
Justin Bergman
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Overly broad. Good general bird advice but needs to be more region specific to be useful
Amber
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Very detailed information with plants grouped by region - which is very helpful. Beautiful pictures as well.
Patsy
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good reference book
Patti
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best back yard habitat books I've ever read. Timber Press is an outstanding resource collection. I am always impressed each and every time I've checked out a Timber Press book from my local library.
Kay Moore
May 23, 2014
Robert Lion
Feb 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Decaffeinated Corpse (Coffeehouse Mystery, #5)
  • The Tourist Attraction (Moose Springs, Alaska #1)
  • Live and Let Pie (A Bakeshop Mystery, #9)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde and Other Stories of the Supernatural
  • The Pint of No Return (A Sloan Krause Mystery, #2)
  • Tar Baby
  • Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
  • Mother Country
  • Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War
  • Trick or Deceit (Celebration Bay, #4)
  • Making Life Easy: A Simple Guide to a Divinely Inspired Life
  • Raised Row Gardening: Incredible Organic Produce with No Tilling and Minimal Weeding
  • The Chicken Chick's Guide to Backyard Chickens: Simple Steps for Healthy, Happy Hens
  • Clown in a Cornfield
  • The Family Garden Plan: Grow a Year's Worth of Sustainable and Healthy Food
  • The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure
  • The Fixed Stars