Start by marking “Gardening in Miniature: Create Your Own Tiny Living World” as Want to Read:
Gardening in Miniature:  Create Your Own Tiny Living World

Gardening in Miniature: Create Your Own Tiny Living World

Get ready to journey into the huge world of growing small!

The next garden trend combines the joy of gardening with the magic of miniatures. Gardening in Miniature is a complete guide to creating lush, living, small-scale gardens. It has everything you need to pick up this new hobby, including scaled down garden designs, techniques for creating tiny hardscapes, miniature ga
Published June 25th 2013 by Timber Press (first published June 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Gardening in Miniature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gardening in Miniature

Yodamom
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening, banzai
This beautiful guide to growing and tending small gardens should be on every 'bonsai' type gardeners shelf. The photographs are amazing and could double as a coffee table book. There is advice ranging from which type of container to use, which plants to add and to how many hour you plan to devote to it. These are all very important points to consider. Scaling is written about in detail and something that is not mentioned in many books. There is a detailed list of plants that will work in differe ...more
Wendi
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
Excellent book about miniature gardening. The focus here is not on "fairy gardening" whimsy, but on pure miniature gardens, the type that can fool you in photographs into thinking they are full size. Photos show gorgeous, inspirational examples of this type of design. There is a reference section that discusses the type of plants to use, and what conditions they grow best in. Both indoor and outdoor (in-ground and container) gardens are featured. Since the Kindle version is currently $3.99, ther ...more
Denise
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a review copy of this book on Net Galley.

I've been looking to get into miniature gardening ever since a saw a few pictures of them on Pinterest, and this book totally scratches my inspirational pictures itch, as well as giving a good overview of how to make your little gardens and keep them happy and healthy.

The book includes how-tos for making little accessories like tiny climbing trellises and fences, as well as how-tos for an entire miniature garden design, if you don't feel up to
Bekka
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley.com and Timber Press for allowing me early access to this book.

Very, very fun! Full of great information for the complete novice in miniature gardening. Calvo gives detailed information on materials and plants, including how to water and how much sunshine various types require. She also gives detailed information for both outdoor and indoor creations. I'm all inspired to see if I can create some of these projects in my own home.
Sheila Bigelow
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm completely hooked! I made a Hobbit hole garden earlier this spring, but this has me thinking I need to make a larger one....Loved the photos and all the plant lists, great for the beginner as well as the experienced gardener!
Eve beinguniquebooks
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has come to me at the right time for sure.

I have grown up with crafty fingers and a carpenter dad so always have seen tools and tricks used to make something from nothing.

However, last year I started to get really into what a horticulturalist does after finding a beautiful garden open locally. My mum also has a friend with a unique garden, full of gnomes and even a miniature garden.

Which brings me back to this rather amazing book.
Not only does it tell us about all you need in terms of
Lynndell
Thanks to NetGalley and Timber Press for the opportunity to read and review Gardening in Miniature: Create Your Own Tiny Living World by Janit Calvo! New, imaginative and creative ideas for fairy and tiny gardens. This book covers supplies needed for a miniature garden workshop and basic materials and tools required for most projects. The projects cover holidays, special occasions, world travel, storybook ideas and more! For the beginning miniature gardening and for the novice, the detailed inst ...more
Barbara
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an inspirational book to create a small miniature fairy garden with real plants! I have made several fairy gardens with silk flowers, but this book inspired me to created a live fairy garden using miniature plants and accessories.
Hapzydeco
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Leaping on to the current trend in gardening, Janit Calro has produced a charming book on the topic. Plus nice illustrations for the mini gardener.
Carolyn Page
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great little guide to making miniature gardens. It has a lot of ideas to make furntiture and plant in a scenic fashion, as well as an index of plants that look "miniature" and stay that way.
Karen Thacker
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
a great book if you want to expand your gardening into a fun, new area.
Leyla Johnson
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is absolutely no reason that anyone can't have a garden. This book has an amazing array of miniature gardens that can be constructed in pots or a small patch of dirt. The instructions are very easy to follow with all safety, equipment and plants covered. They take awhile to complete but, like me you can become hooked on this.
A wonderful activity for children as well as adults, I believe a wonderful meeting of minds between a child and a grandparent - I can just see it. I really love this
Ariadna73
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hands-on-books
Virtually anyone can be a creator. That is the takeaway of this wonderful and gorgeous little book.

Cover: description

Garden with statue: description

Tall Pines: description

Reading place: description

Debbie Teashon
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
Miniature gardens, fairy gardens, railroad gardens – they are all about small space gardening to the point that even if you only have an outdoor balcony you can grow a tiny garden scene. Plant it, decorate it, and add characters to it, it’s all to scale of course, no matter what size garden you have! Janit Calvo takes you through the steps of creating your own tiny living world in this charming book.

Every page is packed full of wonderful photographs and ideas, you could really get lost in this a
Stephanie Rose
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gardening in Miniature is a brilliant read for gardeners that want to try their hand at miniature gardening. To be clear, this is a book about miniature gardening not fairy gardening. It shows you how to cultivate miniature plants in natural settings, building structures like patios, pots, and benches to make these gardens look true-to-life. It is more magical without fairies that I could have imagined.

I enjoyed learning how to make a stone patio, built just like the large backyard version, as
Astrid Yrigollen
Sometimes called "Fairy Gardens",these are tiny scenes that people make among their plants and in their planters and pots.Think "bonsai" with small props like chairs, dogs,rivers etc.(Which actual "serious"Japanese bonsai cultivators refrane from) This book shows many examples of the type of scenes you can create and then helps you build them. Just like in my BJD hobby, scale is really important. This book is great if you do not have a garden since you can create these little displays in a pot o ...more
Ita
Nice intro for someone just starting to fairy garden. This book contains nice pictures for inspiration on good quality paper.

I liked her emphasis on scale. So many fairy gardens have people as tall as the houses and it just looks wrong.

I was also struck by her chapter "Does it Belong?" YES!! Ask that question!! So many gardeners put way too much crap in their fairy gardens. Just because you have 10 really cute miniature things does not mean you should put them all in one garden! Less is more. R
Kendra
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hobbyists, gardners, people who enjoy indoor gardens
Recommended to Kendra by: Plow & Hearth Catalog
Shelves: owned, ebook
This is a pretty nice, though somewhat basic introduction to miniature living gardens. Janit gives a general overview of containers, plants,accessories and scale. She didn't go as in depth as I had hoped, but on the other hand she didn't overwhelm me with information. As a rank beginner, I found her writing style to be clear, engaging, and inspiring. She uses clear English without a lot of industry jargon, but doesn't talk down at the newbie. Overall, I really enjoyed this book, and (using one o ...more
Ethan
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I kind of cheated with this book because I only read the portions that were applicable to the workshop I'm giving and either skimmed or skipped the rest.

Overall, great book with lots of helpful tips on every aspect of miniature gardening. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants an introduction to miniature gardening.

As a gardener who has several years of experience under his belt, I enjoyed this book more for the few helpful tips I found and the inspiration from looking at a
Kristen
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves, gardening
This is a grat introduction to miniature gardening. We learn the difference between a miniature garden and a bonsai tree, how to choose plants and supplies, and the different sizes that are typically chosen with a miniature garden. The best part about this book is the photography. Even if you never plan to grow a miniature garden, you can enjoy the pictures here. I recommend this book for adults and teens. It would be a good resource for starting a miniature gardening club in your neighborhood.
Carrie
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, gardening
I think making a miniature garden would be a fun project. Whimsical is probably a better word. I liked how the author included a lot of the conceptual and reference info as well as a whole chapter that walks you through making a couple of different things step by step. There are also some great photos of creative projects. Fun book to flip through.

I borrowed this from the library, but if I decide to make one, I would definitely buy the book for reference.
Naomi
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardens
A terrific read for those interested in beginning to garden in miniature - that is, gardening a storyscape. While all gardens have a story to tell, the need to exhibit scale in miniature gardens leads to a more directed storytelling, including fairies or dinosaurs, fantasy or historical period, and recreations of places one has visited. Recommended plant list included, along with many, many tips for appropriate care of plants.
Helen
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very much enjoyed this book. Lots of good ideas on how to put together your own miniature garden and construction details very informative. Although I have now put together three or four gardens I am still practicing and waiting for the better weather to work full tilt on some of the ideas.
Tara
Jul 06, 2014 rated it liked it
This book gives a broad overview of the subject and provides some valuable tips. I would have liked it more if there had been more information on specific plants, especially the ones mentioned. Plant pictures and grow information would have made this book more valuable to me.
KLD
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The best book on miniature gardening that I have found, so far. Excellent resource and directions.
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it

If I had more time/money/space for another project or hobby, I'd be in very deep trouble with this book. It looks like so much fun! (Read: So much fun for an old-lady-nerd!)
Kaye Dewar
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Create a place of serenity or whimsy all in a ten inch pot! This book told me about gardening mistakes I made last summer and wont make again!
Dave
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book and loads of information for indoor and outdoor miniature gardens.
Rachel Meyers
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved the photography and the ideas, but would have preferred more "how to".
Michele
May 17, 2015
  • Fairy Gardening: Creating Your Own Magical Miniature Garden
  • The Unexpected Houseplant: 220 Extraordinary Choices for Every Spot in Your Home
  • Succulents Simplified: Growing, Designing, and Crafting with 100 Easy-Care Varieties
  • Tiny World Terrariums: A Step-by-Step Guide to Easily Contained Life
  • Wise Craft: Turning Thrift Store Finds, Fabric Scraps, and Natural Objects Into Stuff You Love
  • Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life: The Plants and Places That Inspired the Classic Children's Tales
  • Paper to Petal: 75 Whimsical Paper Flowers to Craft by Hand
  • BiblioCraft: The Modern Crafter's Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects
  • Lace One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects Celebrating the Possibilities of Lace
  • The Flower Recipe Book
  • The Organic Artist: Make Your Own Paint, Paper, Pigments, Prints and More from Nature
  • Apartment Gardening: Plants, Projects, and Recipes for Growing Food in Your Urban Home
  • Don't Throw It, Grow It!: 68 Windowsill Plants From Kitchen Scraps
  • The Plant Recipe Book: 100 Living Arrangements for Any Home in Any Season
  • Easy Growing: Organic Herbs and Edible Flowers from Small Spaces
  • Braids, Buns, and Twists!: Step-by-Step Tutorials for 82 Fabulous Hairstyles
  • Ansel Adams in Color
  • Sunflower Houses: Inspiration From the Garden--A Book for Children and Their Grown-Ups