Start by marking “Niño Wrestles the World” as Want to Read:
Niño Wrestles the World

Niño Wrestles the World

(Niño #1)

Señoras y Señores, put your hands together for the fantastic, spectacular, one of a kind . . . Niño!

Fwap! Slish! Bloop! Krunch! He takes down his competition in a single move!

No opponent is too big a challenge for the cunning skills of Niño—popsicle eater, toy lover, somersault expert, and world champion lucha libre competitor!

A Neal Porter Book
Published June 4th 2013 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Niño Wrestles the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Niño Wrestles the World

Betsy
If there is any topic on the lips and minds of librarians, teachers, and other gatekeepers it is the state of multicultural literature for kids today. Seems a week can't go by without a new study or proposal to deal with the need for more books about kids of color being published today. Recently I discovered that while books for kids containing Latino characters are rare in and of themselves, imported children's books from Mexico are downright impossible to find. Most of the Spanish language boo ...more
Alysia
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
What a funny and cute book. This is for a beginner bilingual reader. Great illustrations and clear and vivid colors. The book even gives a brief description about the history of Lucha Libre. This is a book of pure fun.
Tasha
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Everyone cheer for the incredible, the amazing Nino! He is challenged to fight by wild opponents like The Guanajuato Mummy who is taken down by a tickle attack. Next to challenge Nino is Olmec Head whose stony face is walloped by a Puzzle Muzzle move. He has tricky moves to use on each one, taking one down at a time using all sorts of toys. But finally, his real serious opponents arrive, Las Hermanitas! Nino is going to have to use all of his wrestling and mental skills to beat these two little ...more
Stacy Fetters
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
Was not as cute as I wanted it to be.
Didn't enjoy the story and the only thing that was great was the mix of languages.
Maren Banwell
Text to Self connection: Making a text to self connection means the reader recognizes or relates to something from the text on a personal level. It may be the she sees similar character traits to her own, or that he has had a very similar experience as a character. It’s important to be able to find connections to ourselves in reading because it helps engage us and understand ourselves better.
The text to self connections I made while reading Nino Wrestles the World was of my younger brother and m
Julie
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Niño Wrestles the World is an energetic book. Author Yuyi Morales successfully intertwines humor and play with elements of Latino culture. This book does not simply increase the visibility of Mexican wrestling (lucha libre) in American children's literature, but it also draws in Mexican cultural icons like "La Llorona." The brilliantly designed end papers illustrate the different icons, offer the pronunciation of their names in Spanish, and present some basic facts about them.

My book chronicle'
Joan
Morales did it again. She produced an amazing book on something most American kids won't know a thing about and made it understandable and fascinating. Oh yes, she also wrote a lovely little sibling book as well for an older kid trying to cope with two twin infant sisters. I happen to have heard of luchadores from a coworker just before the book won the ALA Bupre illustrator award. This is another picture book that comes with back matter and just happens to be the second one with back matter I'v ...more
Danielle
Nino is a lovable, relatable character whose imagination transforms him into a lucha libre wrestler. Though he battles some fearsome opponents like "La Momia de Guanajuato," his greatest competition are his younger twin sisters who at the end of the book awaken from their nap. Nino's imagination takes us readers into the world of lucha libre, or Mexican professional wrestling, from Nino's traditional mask and the fantastical backstories for each contender to Yuyi Morales' writing sounding like w ...more
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mc-latino
Wonderful book! Yuyi Morales has created a character named Nino who loves to imagine that he is a luchadores (wrestler). As we follow him along he undertakes petrifying opponents like La Momia de Guanajuato (zombie/mummy), El Extraterrestre (Extraterrestrial), and even his sisters! Yuyi Morales expertly & subtly weaves the Latino/a tradition of Lucha Libre (professional wrestling) with the traditional interests of an American childhood like legos and scooters. Her illustrations are colorful ...more
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mexican wrestling! Tighty whities! SO MUCH FUN! Nino wrestles the bad guys in his awesome wrestling mask but will he be able to beat the Las Hermanitas?

A fabulous choice for the preschool set, especially little boys that love imaginative play. The artwork and layouts are a lot of fun and the text makes liberal use of Spanish. (I really don't know any Spanish but the story still made total sense. I would definitely practice this before reading it to a group of kids but would read it to my own li
Kate
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: k-2nd grade
Love the art! Love the story, the humor, the creatures which Nino wrestles, the ending, the endpapers. Fun and funny. I also appreciate the note about lucha libre, of which I've heard but don't know much about it. Don't just share with kids who know about lucha libre. The imagination and actions of the boy battling monsters while stripped down to his underwear and wearing a mask are universal. And those who remember the old Batman TV show will enjoy the bloops, zoks, pachatas, zzzwap, cuchi-coos ...more
Liz Murray
So much fun! Niño jumps off the page as he fights opponents as a lucha libre wrestler. He fights opponents such as an Olmec head, la Llorona, an alien and a mummy, and to end he fights las hermanitas. A book young children would love to read on their own, in a group, and I imagine it would inspire hours of dramatic play.
Mississippi Library Commission
Jump feet first into the lucha libre wrestling imaginings of this pint sized hero of the bedroom, Niño. Kids will love this high-energy book by Yuyi Morales with its bright colors and fun and upbeat story. Highly recommended.
Dora
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: americas-award

Action packed illustrations! Similar to a graphic novel, it definitely captures the action and suspense behind a match and the imagination of a boy. Great read for all ages!
Rebecca Honeycutt
Gloriously vibrant and wonderfully frenetic illustrations, language and culture exploration without heavy-handedness, AND an appealing kid protagonist? So much win in one book!
Cynthia
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Vivid, bright, and fluid. The playful imaginations of a boy who fancies himself the greatest wrestler of the world! Morales brings us a rich journey of a book with this Pura Belpré winner.
Gina
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
BEST NEW CHILDREN'S CHARACTER EVAR! The illustrations are vibrant and colorful. I love Niño!
Shannon
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Brilliant stuff. Perfect baby shower book, especially for a second or third child.
Betsy
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
Cute book, I have to admit that I wasn't really enjoying it too much until I got to the end. As soon as the little sisters got involved, I was a convert. The language is a bit complicated despite being sparsely worded, a reading level M which puts it right in the middle of 3rd grade.
This is definitely a book for parents to read to younger children, by the time a child can read this themselves it will not be as appealing as it is at a younger age.

I especially liked the extra information about w
Annie Han
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has a beautifully illustrated cover that can draw students in. It introduces another language to children. It contains a story about a boy who wrestles imaginary monsters – this introduces play, fun, and imagination.

Niño Wrestles the World is a Pura Belpré award winner. It can be used in a classroom with English Language Learners. It introduces another language to students – using context clues, they are able to understand what the word means. Using the illustrations helps the student
Emily Jackson
May 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really don't understand the point of this story and was not really interesting to read.
Mia Valdez Quellhorst
Illustrations are beautiful but the overall story arc leaves something to be desired. I wanted more.
Samantha Boyle
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a multicultural picture book that won a Pura Belpre Award. I rated Nino Wrestles the World with five stars because it teaches children a valuable lesson about getting along with others instead of fighting. It also has some very fun illustrations that are very catchy to the eye and kids would love them. This book reminds me of my little brother and I. Sometimes we do not always get along. If he starts being annoying or whinny, I get really tired of him. In this book, Nino fights with his ...more
Brooke Snyder
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diversity
Summary: Nino “wrestles the world” is exactly what Nino did (in make believe). No one and nothing could defeat him- he was the most powerful and defeated all and was not afraid of anything. He was having so much fun in his defeats but then his two sisters woke from their nap. They started to wrestle Nino- Nino thought if you can’t beat them, join them! This is a quirky book!

Personal Response/Critical Response: I like this book because it’s funny and imaginative. Children will love the play aspec
Araceli
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Text to text: This text was so so cute! As usual I am terrible at finding a book that I find similar to this one, I would have to say it reminds me in the colors and feel of the Mexican themed books I read as a child such as The Three Pigs (Los Tres Cerdos). What it REALLY reminded me of was the TV show Mucha Lucha! that I watched when I was a kid, where these kids went to a school for aspiring Luchadors.

Text to Self: In reference to myself, I fell in love with this book it was just so cute and
Danielle
This comic style picture book follows Nino through is fantastical afternoon battling terrifying rivals by fighting them Lucha Libre style. Lucha Libra is a theatrical style of wrestling which is popular throughout Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries. Nino is a small child who imagines he is fighting opponents such as La Llorona, a famous Mexican ghost who takes children to make them her own. El Extraterrestre, a space explorer who likes to bite and perhaps the most threatening opponent o ...more
Leslie
In the popular tradition of the “theatrical, action-packed style of professional wrestling” of Lucha Libre, Yuyi Morales pits Nino against some gnarly cultural bogey-men. Love the appearance La Llorona, how she comes on scene and is defeated. Every competitor’s bio (including pronunciations) decorate the end pages, even Las Hermanitas who prove to be Nino’s most challenging of competitors.

Morales enacts a fantastic production in colors, graphics, energy and imaginative play. An absolute must for
Margaux
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to have multicultural books in their collection, 2-5 year-olds
I know people have mixed feelings about Niño, but I have to say, I'm a fan. Not only are the illustrations done in a traditional whimsical style (I could totally see them on a mural somewhere in Ecuador) but the plot is about a culture that is counter to the white American norm. It's so refreshing to see a book about the Latin American experience in the mainstream in the U.S.

Anyways, "Niño" is the protagonist's luchador name. He battles traditional "out-of-this-world" competitors like "La Lloro
Molly (Conan the Librarian) Crumbley
Now entering the ring…it’s Niño, luchador extraordinaire! Facing off against a host of monstrous foes, Niño has to use his wrestling skills to reign victorious. One after the other, he dispatches figures from Mexican folklore: the mummy of Guanajuato, Olmec Head, La Llorona, an alien, and El Chamuco.

Just around the corner, though, is the toughest match of all: a fight against his little sisters, Las Hermanitas! Will Niño’s winning streak come to an end?

Niño Wrestles the World is absolutely hilar

• My Abuelita
  • Xander's Panda Party
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • Knock Knock: My Dad's Dream for Me
  • What Can You Do with a Rebozo?
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • My Colors, My World
Yuyi Morales is the illustrator of Kathleen Krull’s Harvesting Hope: The Story of Cesar Chavez, whose accolades include a Pura Belpré Award and a Christopher Medal, as well as the Pura Belpré Award-winning Los Gatos Black on Halloween by Marisa Montes. Born and raised in Mexico, she now lives in northern California.

Niño (2 books)