Start by marking “Warning: Do Not Open This Book!” as Want to Read:
Warning: Do Not Open This Book!

Warning: Do Not Open This Book!

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  721 ratings  ·  173 reviews
CAUTION! This book contains monkeys, toucans, and a whole lot of silliness. You really shouldn't be opening this book.

I'm serious.

Just put it back on the shelf.

Right...now.

You're still reading this?

Well, don't say I didn't warn you...

It looks like a book, it feels like a book, and it even smells like a book. But watch out...madness and mayhem lie within! Debut author Adam
Published August 27th 2013 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about Warning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warning

Adam
Mar 05, 2013 Adam added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: picture-books
Since this is my book, I don't feel right giving it a rating. Also, I don't think there are enough stars. Instead of a traditional review I'm going to use this space to try to tell you a bit more about my book.

Warning: Do Not Open This Book starts off with a bit of this:

Warning! You are going the wrong way!

And it is followed with a quick one of these:

Stop! Do not go any further!

But, then there is one of these...

Oh, no! It's a monkey!

And, one of those, leads to all of this:

They're loose. Monkeys everywhere.

It becomes quite a bit of a mess there for a while. But, not to fear, because there is a plan. A good pl

Jessica
This turned Gabe from a whiny sullen tired kid into a giggling cuddle machine. Going to try it at storytime this week and see how the kids like it.
Colby Sharp
The best way for me to describe this book is that it is kind of like The Monster at the End of This Book on steriods.
Go
Fun kids book with audience participation. My 2 year old son loved it. Even my 11 year old son thought it was entertaining. He laughed from the start after opening the cover of the book. It’s reverse psychology—“Do not open this book!” of course that’s exactly what you do—open the book. Since we did not heed the warning we were greeted with signs like “Come on…seriously?” and next to a skull another one read “Here is the last guy who read this book.” It was as if we ignored caution tape and ent ...more
katsok
One reason I became a teacher was that I read The Monster at the End of This Book to a class of first graders when I was a second grader. It was a powerful moment with a book that I love. This book brings that feeling back. It's fun, silly, and brilliant. Can't wait to read it to my students.
The Library Lady
I were a hipster librarian or parent who hadn't read a zillion picture books I would give this a higher rating. But though the art is very striking, this concept has been done a zillion times before--and by people with far zanier imaginations.
pati
They warned me and I did not listen! When will I learn!!???
Sierra Gonzales
Warning: Do Not Open This Book! is a clever addition written by Adam Lehrhaupt. This story is about a secretly plan composed by the reader to catch the monkeys, toucans and alligator after proceeding forward in the book and never yielding to the warnings.

The book in refreshingly original because:
~ it breaks the fourth wall. The invisible narrator of the story leads you along while demanding the author to interact with the story; the book is completely based around whether the not the audience
Jordan
Fans of Monkey Truck, this book is for you. Only it's significantly less weird.

Buy this title from Powell's Books.
Hmalowski
Monkeys, toucans, alligators and a trap - it's load of interactive silliness. Reminds me so much of Monster at the End of this Book.
PEI Public Library Service
Warning, Do Not Open This Book! by Adam Lehrhaupt with illustrations by Matthew Forsythe is a hilarious narrative about the readers accidentally letting monkeys, toucans and alligators loose (what a catastrophe!) and then hatching a plan to trap these creatures in the book! Despite all the warnings (Seriously, put this book back!) all readers find it irresistible to keep turning the pages to see what happens next.

If you’re looking for a fun, engaging and interactive children’s book then this is
Ziwei Cheng
This book is very interesting. At the front page it full of the warning sighs. On the first several pages, different monkeys are climbing on the same place. What is more, a lot of monkeys are painted lying in the trees in some other pages of the book. Later the toucans joined the monkey groups. They made a lot of noises and alligator showed up. So, they had to set up a tract to catch it.

This is an interesting book for children. The whole book is colorful using the white color as the background
Kelly
Warning: Do Not Open This Book!, narrated by Adam Lehrhaupt and illustrated by Matthew Forsythe, is a nominee for the 2015-16 South Carolina Picture Book Award.

Warning: Do Not Open This Book! is a great interactive picture book perfect for fans of Mo Willems' We Are in a Book! and B.J. Novak's The Book With No Pictures. It invites the reader to really be a part of the story and figure out a way to keep messy monkeys, noisy toucans, and scary alligators from tearing the book to pieces. The soluti
Florian
Reverse psychology at its finest is an excellent tool in children's literature. Who doesn't love breaking the rules? When paired with monkeys, toucans, and a bossy narrator, its a recipe for fun reading.

The richly toned illustrations of monkeys monkeying about add to the hilarity. This would surely be a story time hit.
Ashley Green
Lehrhaupt, A. (2013). Warning: do not open this book! New York: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.

ALSC 2014 Notable Children's Books

Choice

This book is what picture books were made to be - the illustrations tell the story, and the cover is right - Lehrhaupt does the "narration." The element of danger and the repeated warning signs will draw the interest of kids right away, and add a suspense that is not often found in a picture book. They also beg for interaction, which makes reading t
Romelle
A great start, but the end left me unsatisfied. It's as if it ended too quickly for me. It reminded me a lot of The Monster at the End of This Book by Jon Stone, which I love so maybe my expectations were set high. Nevertheless, it's still a fun book. Young readers will get a chuckle out of it.
Megan
Adam Lehrhaupt creates a hilarious book that keeps he reader constantly wanting to know what is next! he urges the reader over and over not to turn the page or they will be sorry. The farther the reader goes, the more craziness they unleash. Monkeys, toucans and all other sorts of silly happenings go down as you continue to ignore his cautionary words.

The illustrations in this book are just as funny as the story line. I believe that this book would be a hit for all ages and is simple but silly e
Caryn Caldwell
Do you have the courage to disobey the warnings at the beginning of this book and read it anyway? And if you do, just what will happen? A hilarious catastrophe, that's what! Those who have long loved The Monster at the End of this Book may find some similarities here, but it's still a lot of fun, and its use of reverse psychology, its silly humor, and its sense of impending calamity will likely hold readers' attention. It works well for a read-aloud and would be particularly good for a lesson on ...more
Rachel
A warning to all, do not open this book, and if the cover doesn't make this clear, the signs inside the cover should. But for all those who do move forward bravely, here is what to expect. Monkeys. The author speaks to you, pleads with you, and tries his best to stop you from reading. Yet if after all this, you still turn the page, what do you see but a single monkey. Mayhem ensues! More and more creatures rush in. So the author has you, who freed them, participate in recapturing them with a tra ...more
Storytime isn’t always about hugs and cuddles. Sometimes it’s about giggles, laughter and just plain silliness! Even though we are warned time and again not to keep reading this book, we just can’t help ourselves.

My boys absolutely loved this book. They were laughing out loud and anxiously waited to see what was going to happen on the next page, which included monkeys, toucans and even alligators! Great fun for story time for kids and a lot of fun for adults to read.
Margaret Welwood
When Tina was little, we used to play tea party. I would warn her sternly not to spill the imaginary tea, and her little hand would shake with excitement as she did just that, then bore my scathing scolding.

Now, with a nine-year-old’s love of irony, she OPENED Warning! Do Not Open This Book! With nerves of steel and uncontainable curiosity, we dared to defy author Adam Lehrhaupt—and turned every page!

Your child will, too.
Cruth
Author: Adam Lehrhaupt
Illustrator: Matthew Forsythe
First Published: 2013

I don't know. It's one of those books that's purely entertainment. Lots of colour and movement, a simple story and certainly engaging. Readers are enticed to participate and embrace the humour and novelty.

It works.

But, you know, I like Bland's The Wrong Book better.

Do Not Open This Book! by Adam Lehrhaupt (from Amazon)

Do Not Open This Book! by Adam Lehrhaupt (from iTunes)

(ISBN 9781442435834)

-CR-
Joanne Zienty
This picture book is a Mo Willems/Lane Smith wannabe ala the We are in a Book and It’s a book metafiction. But it’s just not as funny, clever or subversive as either. Maybe it’s the drab illustrations of monkeys and toucans (how can you draw a dull toucan?) and alligators, maybe it’s the lack of wit. But this one just left me… wishing I’d followed the instructions on the cover.
Kathleen Behrendt
This book begs for audience participation. The warnings that begin on the cover continue on the inside and the first several pages. Bad things start to happen as more pages are turned, until an alligator appears. Will "The Plan" work? Close the book and see!

Recommend this to readers in second grade and younger. Teacher looking for participation books will appreciate this title.
Erin
This book is very much like There's a Monster at the End of This Book with Grover in it, except this one has monkeys, toucans, and an alligator. To stop them making a mess, you must capture them in the book.

In reading it to myself, it sounds okay. I'm not sure how it would actually play out in a storytime, though. It wouldn't hurt to try it out in a preschool storytime.
Mallory Dunn
This is a book of temptation. The title automatically invites you in as most people, especially children are tempted to do things they are told not to do. By turning the page of the book, you become closer and closer to letting the monkeys out. IF you continue, you actually do release them, you have to find a way to get them all back together (with the help of a banana).
This book was pretty funny. I would recommend this book to all ages with a little guilt. Simply because this book gives you a g
Angelica
I love interactive books like this. The narrator is warning us not to open the book or the monkeys will escape. Then we turn the page and the narrator scolds us for turning the page. The book keeps on in the same way and we let out the monkeys and they go wild and are doing silly things. Now there are toucans loose. Then the narrator asks us to stop moving forward until we are approached by an alligator and then we trap the alligator and close the book.

Great for 1st or 2nd graders
Bronwyn
I read my son the title of this book and the first thing he said was, "I'm going to open it!"

Kids. It's like they come with a manual after all. Son (6yo) has read it any number of times since. It's very simple in terms of language, but a real page-turner. My 3yo is also enthralled - she thinks it's hilarious.
Paula
Creative entertainment. Interactive. You won't walk away with from this book with a social skill or a deeper meaning about life. That's OK. It's unique and offers some subtle humor missing from a lot of other children's picture books. Read it out loud with expression to children and simply ENJOY it.
Brigida
I didn't listen and I opened the book. I know I shouldn't have but I did and I saw utter chaos with monkeys, toucans, and an alligator, oh my! Seeing as I did not listen to begin with, I simply followed the author's instructions to stop all the madness. Was I successful? Read to find out! I dare you!

Intended Grade Level: Kindergarten - 2nd grade
  • Ribbit!
  • Crankenstein
  • Battle Bunny
  • The Watermelon Seed
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • The Black Rabbit
Adam Lehrhaupt is the award-winning picture book author of Warning: Do Not Open This Book!, as well as the upcoming Please: Open This Book! (Fall, 2015), This is a Good Story (Spring, 2016), Chicken in Space (A six book series starting summer, 2016), I Will Not Eat You (2017), Idea Jar (2017), and I Don't Draw (2017). He has traveled to six continents, performed on Broadway, and lived on a communa ...more
More about Adam Lehrhaupt...
Please, Open This Book! Idea Jar Chicken in Space This is a Good Story I Will Not Eat You