Start by marking “Warning: Do Not Open This Book!” as Want to Read:
Warning: Do Not Open This Book!

Warning: Do Not Open This Book!

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,271 Ratings  ·  239 Reviews
CAUTION! This book contains monkeys, toucans, and a whole lot of silliness. You really shouldn't be opening this book.

I'm serious.

Just put it back on the shelf.

Right...now.

You're still reading this?

Well, don't say I didn't warn you...

It looks like a book, it feels like a book, and it even smells like a book. But watch out...madness and mayhem lie within! Debut author Adam
Published August 27th 2013 by Simon Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about Warning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warning

Adam
Jan 24, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: picture-books
Since this is my book, I don't feel right giving it a rating. Also, I don't think there are enough stars. Instead of a traditional review I'm going to use this space to try to tell you a bit more about my book.

Warning: Do Not Open This Book starts off with a bit of this:

Warning! You are going the wrong way!

And it is followed with a quick one of these:

Stop! Do not go any further!

But, then there is one of these...

Oh, no! It's a monkey!

And, one of those, leads to all of this:

They're loose. Monkeys everywhere.

It becomes quite a bit of a mess there for a while. But, not to fear, because there is a plan. A good pl

KC
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beware. You really shouldn't open this book!!!
The Library Lady
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
I were a hipster librarian or parent who hadn't read a zillion picture books I would give this a higher rating. But though the art is very striking, this concept has been done a zillion times before--and by people with far zanier imaginations.
pati
Sep 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
They warned me and I did not listen! When will I learn!!???
Amy
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it
The pictures in this book are lively and upbeat. Not a fan of the ending, which was essentially a trap for the animals involved. It's meant to be funny, (view spoiler)
Jessica
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This turned Gabe from a whiny sullen tired kid into a giggling cuddle machine. Going to try it at storytime this week and see how the kids like it.
Colby Sharp
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best way for me to describe this book is that it is kind of like The Monster at the End of This Book on steriods.
Go
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun kids book with audience participation. My 2 year old son loved it. Even my 11 year old son thought it was entertaining. He laughed from the start after opening the cover of the book. It’s reverse psychology—“Do not open this book!” of course that’s exactly what you do—open the book. Since we did not heed the warning we were greeted with signs like “Come on…seriously?” and next to a skull another one read “Here is the last guy who read this book.” It was as if we ignored caution tape and ent ...more
Kendra
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I frankly adore this book: a postmodern, playful affair that begins by begging kids not to open the book because they'll let "the monkeys" out....

Four stars only because THE MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS BOOK did it first, and that book has my whole heart. But this is a fantastic, playful romp. Would recommend to kids of any age.
katsok
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One reason I became a teacher was that I read The Monster at the End of This Book to a class of first graders when I was a second grader. It was a powerful moment with a book that I love. This book brings that feeling back. It's fun, silly, and brilliant. Can't wait to read it to my students.
Cheryl
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Cute but redundant. Seriously, go back to The Monster at the End of this Book. The author's review is better than the book, actually.
AMY
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-2
Sierra Gonzales
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Warning: Do Not Open This Book! is a clever addition written by Adam Lehrhaupt. This story is about a secretly plan composed by the reader to catch the monkeys, toucans and alligator after proceeding forward in the book and never yielding to the warnings.

The book in refreshingly original because:
~ it breaks the fourth wall. The invisible narrator of the story leads you along while demanding the author to interact with the story; the book is completely based around whether the not the audience
Heidi-Marie
Very cute. It begs to be done in storytime. And what a PERFECT lead in to "Five Little Monkeys Swingin' in a Tree."

10/23/13 This was the book that gave me an idea to do a Hello, Audience! storytime (since I love those kinds of books and figured I had enough to do as a theme). The kids loved this. It's a little shorter than I expected and I think that was my fault that it fell a little flat near the end. But the very end was great and they loved shutting their make-believe books. I think this cou
Cruth
Author: Adam Lehrhaupt
Illustrator: Matthew Forsythe
First Published: 2013

I don't know. It's one of those books that's purely entertainment. Lots of colour and movement, a simple story and certainly engaging. Readers are enticed to participate and embrace the humour and novelty.

It works.

But, you know, I like Bland's The Wrong Book better.

Do Not Open This Book! by Adam Lehrhaupt (from Amazon)

Do Not Open This Book! by Adam Lehrhaupt (from iTunes)

(ISBN 9781442435834)

-CR-
Allen
Sep 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reading-350
This is a book that basically tells the reader not to turn to the next page because of some peril that might befall them. There are monkeys, toucans, and an alligator. There is a cool little "trap" at the end of the book to rescue the reader.

I thought this book was going to be so much better than it was. It seemed to have such a great idea, but it fell short of my expectations. I didn't care much for the illustrations either as they seemed to be all over the place and "modernistic" in nature. (I
Tom Atkinson
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great example of the proper use of the medium. The story begins on the front page and extends over the end pages all the way to the blurb which holds different meaning depending on whether you read it prior to the story or afterwards. The artwork is big bold and fun which combines well with the text. It really plays with what a reader can expect from the text and how the author interacts with the reader.
Florian
Reverse psychology at its finest is an excellent tool in children's literature. Who doesn't love breaking the rules? When paired with monkeys, toucans, and a bossy narrator, its a recipe for fun reading.

The richly toned illustrations of monkeys monkeying about add to the hilarity. This would surely be a story time hit.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
My son Sam LOVES this book and I know my second graders will feel the same way....if I can sneak the book out of the house this week to share it with them. It reminds me of "We Are In a Book" and "The Monster at the End of this Book!" Just pure fun and great illustrations!
Jordan
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fans of Monkey Truck, this book is for you. Only it's significantly less weird.

Buy this title from Powell's Books.
Romelle
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it
A great start, but the end left me unsatisfied. It's as if it ended too quickly for me. It reminded me a lot of The Monster at the End of This Book by Jon Stone, which I love so maybe my expectations were set high. Nevertheless, it's still a fun book. Young readers will get a chuckle out of it.
Hmalowski
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Monkeys, toucans, alligators and a trap - it's load of interactive silliness. Reminds me so much of Monster at the End of this Book.
Marisa Taddei
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book Title: Warning: Do Not Open This Book!
Author: Adam Lehrhaupt
Illustrator: Matthew Forsythe
Genre: Non-traditional (post-modern) picture book
Theme(s): animals, signs
Opening line/sentence: Maybe you should put this book back. You don’t want to let the monkeys out.

Brief Book Summary: This non-traditional picture book actively involves readers in the story, warning them to NOT open this book. Once they do, readers are warned again to close the book. As you continue to read, the narrator talks to
Kelsey
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Age: Preschool-1st grade
Animals: Monkeys

The ending was great but the rest wasn't quite as quirky as I thought it would be.
Lauren
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
I think that Adam Lehrhaupt did a wonderful job creating a story that kids of all ages would love. I think this book would be best for those in elementary school and that if a teacher read it aloud, all the students would find it funny and be intrigued. The images all add to the overall storyline and really make the book come alive. I would use this book in a classroom to have a fun read aloud that doesn't necessarily have to have a lesson attached to it. I enjoyed reading this book and know tha ...more
Sadia Mansoor
Aug 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
I seriously don't understand what was this book about? Didn't get the story line, nor the suspense the writer was trying to create! I think it's better to listen to the warning (the book's title), i.e. "DO NOT OPEN THIS BOOK"!! It's a waste of time! -_-

1 star for a confusing book!
Connie T.
I liked the idea but it sort of felt flat.
Viviane Elbee
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fun twist on the "beware of this book" sorts of stories.

I liked the art and the artistic monkeys.

My favorite part was the ending.

Kids also enjoyed it and wanted a re-read.
Egallagher2016gmail.Com
Similar to a monster at the end of this book
Angela
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun to read. Love Adam Lehrhaupt's sense of humor in this book and in I Will Not Eat You. Wild and funny illustrations
  • 123 versus ABC
  • Open Very Carefully: A Book with Bite
  • The Story of Fish and Snail
  • Tea Party Rules
  • Ah Ha!
  • Crankee Doodle
  • Carnivores
  • Count the Monkeys
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • The Snatchabook
  • Crankenstein
  • The Black Rabbit
  • Brief Thief
  • Sophie's Squash
Adam Lehrhaupt is the award-winning author of Warning: Do Not Open This Book!, Please: Open This Book!, Chicken in Space (A six book series: Book 2 Chicken in School lands June 20, 2017), I Will Not Eat You and the upcoming I Don't Draw, I Color (March 21, 2016), Wordplay (July 2017), Idea Jar (Fall 2017), and This is a Good Story (Spring, 2018). He has traveled to six continents, performed on Bro ...more
More about Adam Lehrhaupt...