Start by marking “Linus the Vegetarian T. rex” as Want to Read:
Linus the Vegetarian T. rex

Linus the Vegetarian T. rex

Meet Linus—a Tyrannosaurus rex who is very brave, very tough, and very…vegetarian?

Ruth Ann Mackenzie knows everything about dinosaurs. She knows their names. She knows when they lived. And she certainly knows what they ate. So when she meets Linus, a towering, toothy T. rex who prefers picking vegetables to preying on his herbivorous neighbors, she’s not sure what to think
Published July 9th 2013 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Linus the Vegetarian T. rex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Linus the Vegetarian T. rex

Catherine
Sep 21, 2013 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2013
The beginning of the book was great -- setting up a smart, science-loving, female protagonist -- but then everything went a little wonky.

The "Cretaceous Surprises exhibit" was confusing. Was it a trip back through time? A re-creation? And the existence of a vegetarian T-Rex wasn't given any explanation.

The author profile on the back jacket flap explains that "Robert Neubecker was inspired to write this story after reading about Falcarius utahensis, a dinosaur whose ancestors evolved from being
Kelsey
Jul 24, 2013 Kelsey rated it it was ok
I like the build up of Ruth Ann's love of the museum and the story is rather an enjoyable read. However, they didn't quite explain why the T. Rex was misunderstood as a meat eater instead of a vegetarian, especially with those sharp, pointy teeth. More observant dinosaur experts might be asking a lot of questions with this one.
Erin Nizolak
Sep 12, 2016 Erin Nizolak rated it it was amazing
Give Linus a mid-Western accent. You won't regret it.
Peter
Jan 29, 2017 Peter rated it liked it
3.0

Gender Diversity: Female protagonist; dinosaurs of various genders
Ethnic Diversity: Not applicable
Challenging Language: Dinosaur names and era (e.g., Triassic, Jurassic), arugula
Themes to Discuss: positive qualities of imagination and fantasy, defying expectations, carnivorous animals

Linus is right on the verge of being the sort of frivolously cute book I wouldn’t give a second read based simply on its text and plot, but it has two positive themes that seem to resonate with that toddler – plu
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Ruth Ann liked going to the Museum of Natural History. Mostly because she loved natural history, and the museum naturally had quite a bit of history to explore. But her favorite part was the dinosaur exhibit. She knew just about everything there was to know about dinosaurs. So when she discovered a new exhibit, she was very excited. When she walked in a Large Tyrannosaurus Rex greeted her with a “Hello, I’m Linus!” But Ruth Ann knew everything about dinosaurs, so she knew that a T. Rex was a mea ...more
Barbara
Ruth Ann MacKenzie loves dinosaurs and knows just about everything you could want to know about them. But on a trip to the Museum of Natural History, she meets Linus, a Tyrannosaurus Rex, who prefers veggies to meat. I liked the fact that Ruth Ann loves science and how the author uses verbs such as "attacked" (unpaged), "cornered" (unpaged), and "pounced" (unpaged), leading readers to expect a violent assault on his next meal, which turns out to be some sort of plant, not an animal. When Ruth An ...more
Brittany Kraft
Ruth Ann is a young girl who loves history and visiting the Museum of Natural History. She knew about all of the exhibits, but the exhibit she knew the most about were the dinosaurs! A new exhibit had opened up called the Cretaceous Surprises exhibit, and she was looking forward to something new. Ruth Ann is shocked to find herself face to face to a Tyrannosaurus Rex named Linus. He asks her to lunch and Ruth Ann tags along, and is surprised to see him eating nothing but vegetables. What kind of ...more
Vonia
Jul 14, 2014 Vonia rated it really liked it
The illustrations are adorable, the young female heroine is a great example for young lovers in science, Linus is quite lovable, & best of all, this is an educational story for even adults... For how many of you knew there was a vegetarian dinosaur? Based on explorer and/or archaeologist Kirkland from The Utah Geological Society's discoveries, researchers have uncovered evidence that Falcarius Utahenis, in the theropod family of dinosaurs, evolved from a carnivore to a vegetarian (and/or her ...more
Meadow
Feb 03, 2015 Meadow rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Well, I had to read it because I kind of made fun of it every time I saw the title. I would always say (and it was funny to me every time) Linus the Vegetarian T. rex...the shortest story ever. Because, really, that t. rex isn't going to last long. But I read it, suspending reality, as one should read a children's book, and I thought it was cute. I like that the author makes this an adventure inside a museum, which promotes the awesomeness of museums. And trying to get kids to eat veggies is jus ...more
D.peabody
Sep 12, 2013 D.peabody rated it really liked it
Ruth Ann Mackenzie is a member of the Museum of Natural History, she knows alot about Dinosaurs so she does not expect to be surprised when she goes to see the new Cretaceous Surprises Exhibition. But then she meets Linus the Vegetarian T.Rex. She is very surprised and a little perplexed as well. T.Rexs are supposed to be fierce predators aren't they? When they encounter velociraptors Linus proves he can be all that and still be himself too.

This is a cool story about somebody who dares to be dif
Mar 07, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
Linus likes tomatoes, broccoli, arugula, and lots of other veggies. As for the other dinosaurs he's supposed to be hunting, well, they all like him a lot because he is so nice to them. Bold illustrations that are full of action. Cute story from a Utah author/illustrator. Though the book talks about the main character's surprise at finding this unusual dinosaur, and the museum being full of surprises, for me there weren't a lot of surprises in the story because the title already kind of says it a ...more
Marfita
Jul 18, 2014 Marfita rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Our friends aren't what we expect, but sometimes they're just what we need. Ruth Ann meets a T. Rex at the museum who doesn't threaten or eat other dinosaurs, and after a while this gets on her nerves. But Linus subscribes to my favorite moral: We don't eat our friends.
I really enjoyed the illustrations, which were lively, colorful, and fun. I wonder about about the message - but maybe it's just that Vegetarians Aren't Wussies.
Melissa Rochelle
I liked the start -- a smart girl who loves the Natural History Museum and especially the dinosaur exhibit displays we vast knowledge of all things Dino. But then she goes to a new exhibit at the museum and...meets a dinosaur? A vegetarian T. rex? That didn't make sense to me.

If the author was inspired by a dinosaur whose ancestors evolved from meat eaters to vegetarians -- that's awesome -- but stick with that dinosaur. I guess Linus the Vegetarian Falcarius utahensis isn't as catchy...
Kerrikoala
Nov 11, 2014 Kerrikoala rated it really liked it
Adorable. I liked that Linus could still be a big, scary dinosaur, even though he's a vegetarian. I kind of wondered what the other T. rexes (?) thought about him, and I also found "velociraptors" to be a difficult word to say, but this was still really cute. (The triceratops family was especially cute.)
Amanda
Aug 08, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
If ONLY we could go down this road for real and T-Rexes could really be vegetarians (though fierce when need be), popular and friendly vegetarians. Excellent action words, colorful and emotive pictures, funny and subtly informative text: all made for a brilliant book that took an overworked genre and made something new. This Children's Library Assistant says "Thank you!"
Margo Tanenbaum
Aug 13, 2014 Margo Tanenbaum rated it really liked it
Dinosaurs are always popular with kids, and in this fun new picture book, Ruth Ann MacKenzie meets an unusual T-Rex at the Museum of Natural History. She thinks she knows everything there is to know about dinosaurs, until she meets the gentle LInus, a gigantic T-Rex who's not only alive, he's a vegetarian! The silly humor should appeal to dinosaur lovers and the 4-7 year old set.
Peacegal
May 18, 2013 Peacegal rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully illustrated, joyful picture book about a young dinosaur lover and her encounter with an unusually friendly T. Rex. The illustrations are laugh-out-loud funny and will have youngsters giggling.

LINUS is a lively, affirming reading choice for vegetarian children, yet it is also gentle and mainstream enough for their omnivorous counterparts.
Stephanie
Feb 29, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd314
I thought this book was great. The girl had judged Linus for what he was and was surprised after getting to know him. This happens often in real life and time and teaches children that our first impressions aren't always correct.
Christine
Nov 11, 2013 Christine rated it liked it
Ruth Ann MacKenzie may think that she knows everything about dinosaurs, but a vegetarian T. Rex named Linus shows her that we can all be surprised! Inspired from the true story of a dinosaur that evolved from being a meat eater to a vegetarian!
Pamela
Though the character is surprised by what we learn from the title (and therefore not surprising to us at all), this book does have some unexpected delights. It isn't spectacular, but enjoyable enough. Author lives in Utah.
Sharon Lawler
The younger set will love this fantasy about a very popular T. Rex, who happens to be a vegetarian. Illustrations created with "India ink on Arches watercolor paper and colored on a Macintosh computer with fingerprints and collage."
Shelli
Jul 20, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Kids love reading stories about dinosaurs, making this one a sure hit with elementary age students. Linus is unlike any T. Rex you have heard of before and this quirky story will make for a fun read aloud or frequently checked out book from any school or classroom library.
Kati Polodna
Apr 27, 2016 Kati Polodna rated it really liked it
Such a friendly T. Rex!
Christine Gaskins
Apr 07, 2014 Christine Gaskins rated it liked it
Recommends it for: any young dino fan, vegetarian or not
A cute book for any young dinosaur fan, whether they are vegetarians or carnist.
Bibliofiendlm
Jul 22, 2013 Bibliofiendlm rated it it was amazing
So cute! An it has excellent vocabulary works!
Courtney
Sep 16, 2014 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A fun read with some of the cutest pictures of little triceratops around. A good read for young dinosaur lovers. Not very factual :)
Trey
Jan 24, 2017 Trey rated it it was amazing
Creative way to show that it's okay to be a vegetarian.
Aug 18, 2013 Jennifer rated it did not like it
I know, I know. It's fiction. But this is how we create misconceptions in young scientists. Didn't love.
Paula
Aug 20, 2013 Paula rated it liked it
Ruth Ann MacKenzie, who loves natural history, eagerly enters a new museum exhibit called Cretaceous Surprises where she meets a most unusual Tyrannosaurus rex.
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2014