Start by marking “I Hear America Cooking: The Cooks, Regions and Recipes of American Regional Cuisine” as Want to Read:

One of our most revered food writers presents the rich history and lore of American food, as experienced in her travels to six distinct regions of the country. In each of these regions, readers find communal rites and tribal dishes appropriate to the ecology--each with its own distinctive flavor, smell and feel.
Paperback
Published June 1st 1997 by Penguin Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about I Hear America Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Hear America Cooking

Start your review of I Hear America Cooking: The Cooks, Regions and Recipes of American Regional Cuisine
Debbie Pearson cox
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
You must be a kind of history junkie to really get into the meat of this book. Betty tells the history of food from different regions in the country and how the foods available in those regions helped the recipes develop as well. There are some really great recipes throughout the book from each region. I will absolutely try some of them. She has kept true to the recipes with slight alterations for items that are obtainable today. I really enjoyed this book.
Diana
I think this is a wonderful cookbook for meals when you have plenty of time to cook or are cooking for company. There are some great regional recipes in here. That being said, there are multiple things that I would never cook, chitterlings anyone? I would definitely make the green chile enchiladas and the etoufee again.
Marian
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great historical background on all types of American regional styles, vintage photos of each immigrant group making their stuff. Plus recipes for many items people just buy now instead of producing at home, sausages, pickles, cottage cheese, grits ( how to make hominy and grind them yourself etc.
Fishface
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
A fun and informative historical read, but less than practical as a cookbook because so many of the recipes require items not known in today's kitchens. What, for instance, is a water parsnip?
Veglunchbox
Apr 27, 2018
Vicki-Marie
Jan 27, 2014

• Tallgrass
Betty Harper Fussell is an award-winning American writer and is the author of eleven books, ranging from biography to cookbooks, food history and memoir. Over the last 50 years, her essays on food, travel and the arts have appeared in scholarly journals, popular magazines and newspapers as varied as The New York Times, The New Yorker, The Los Angeles Times, Saveur, Vogue, Food & Wine, ...more