Start by marking “The Savage Blue (The Vicious Deep #2)” as Want to Read:
The Savage Blue (The Vicious Deep #2)

The Savage Blue

(The Vicious Deep #2)

A storm is coming...

The ocean is a vicious place. Deeper and darker than Tristan could have imagined. Beneath its calm blue surface, an ancient battle is churning —and no one is safe.

In the quest for the Sea Throne, Tristan has already watched one good friend die. Now he must lead the rest on a dangerous voyage in search of the trident that will make him king. But while Tr
Published May 7th 2013 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about The Savage Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Savage Blue

Marie
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome sequel... But can't compare to the first.

There were aspects I really liked, liked and as with all books didn't like.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole Kurt thing but I loved getting to know Brendan and Marty. Gwen.... I never saw that coming but I liked it I think. I mean I was beginning to like her even more than Layla and that wouldn't have wroed because Tristan would never give his heart to anyone other than her.

Can't wait for book 3!
Zoraida
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This book brings a song to my mermish heart.
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
This is going to be short and sweet because this book did not impress me. I really enjoyed The Vicious Deep. I was on pins when it ended-- I couldn't believe that scene was the end of the first book. So naturally, I was anxious to read The Savage Blue and find out what happened next.

Unfortunately, this book dragged on for-ev-er. I looked at my status updates and saw it took me a month to read this book. An entire month! That is unheard of. I am a book-a-day kind of gal. That right there speaks
Kayla
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Um... I couldn't honestly care at this point
Carmen
Nov 05, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
...betrayal? That doesn't sound good.
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

♥ Find my reviews here: Literary Meanderings

- - -

*This review may contain spoilers for The Vicious Deep (book 1)!*

The Savage Blue picks up right where we left off in The Vicious Deep.

Tristan and his diverse troupe of supporters & friends are still in the midst of the Sea King championship. Tristan holds one piece of the trident and is on the hunt for the oracles who hold the other two.

But time is not on their side.
“It's happening,” [...] “Now that the trident is broken, the king's seal is
Carrie Ardoin
Well, the first book in this series, The Vicious Deep, left things with a cliffhanger so I was definitely ready to see what came next for Tristan after he found out the truth about what he was. Unfortunately, the second book in the series didn't live up to what I hoped it would be.

This book starts off right after, and I mean RIGHT AFTER the events of book one. It had been several months since I'd read The Vicious Deep, and I didn't have time to reread it before starting Savage Blue. But if you c
Megalion
I'm afraid I've done Ms. Córdova a great disservice. I didn't get the reviews written anytime soon after I finished this trilogy.

Many months later, I can't cite any specifics from the story but here's what I can say.

I've found that merpeople stories are a rarity. And not always good ones either. Which is probably why they're not as prevalent as other sub genres in YA urban fantasy.

This trilogy is rock solid. Great character development and a well developed story that is paced well over the th
Anne
You know what I like about these books?
Tristan doesn't sound like a girl. I mean, he's not one of those over-the-top alpha guys, but he's not all touchy-feely.

I thought the plot in this one was better than the first book for some reason, but I honestly can't remember what happened in the first book, either. Sooo. Yeah, I just liked it better...I guess.

Check it out if you're looking for something with mermaids.
ke-sha
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
3.5

I have mixed feelings sort of. On one hand I loved it and on the other I have a few problems with it. but Over all its still an awesome read & I cant wait for the next book :D
Emma-Lauren
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Need third book NOW!!!!!!
usagi ☆ミ
3.5/5 stars.

Oh, "Savage Blue". While I love your basic story, I do feel like you could have been so much more. I definitely can't wait to read book #3, if just for the showdown with Nieve, but I do feel you could have had so much more happen with this installment. But if you're a fan of Tristan and co., I think you'll enjoy "Savage Blue" regardless of my nitpicks. If you're looking for some vicious mermaid action this year with some old friends, definitely check out "The Savage Blue".

My biggest
Chapter by Chapter
I adored The Vicious Deep by author Zoraida Cordova. It was such a fun read and at the time I had been reading a ton of mermaid-focused novels, out of them all The Vicious Deep was one of the most memorable. Mainly because the main character Tristan had been laugh out loud hilarious and the scene when he first discovers his merman tail has been stuck on my mind for quite some time (it’s one of my favorite comedic scenes ever guys). Getting to read The Savage Blue was awesome for so many reasons, ...more
Liviania
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last year was the year of the mermaid books, and THE VICIOUS DEEP was my favorite. THE SAVAGE BLUE lives up to its predecessor and then some. Tristan is one of several contestants for the throne of the Sea King. He's in the lead, with one of three pieces of the trident, but that's far from enough to win the crown.

However, Tristan's fellow competitors aren't his main antagonists. In fact, they tend to be pretty alright guys. Tristan, by the end of THE SAVAGE BLUE, still strikes me as the best cho
ke-sha
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5
Carly
4.5

description
...that's what I imagine Tristan like against all the forces. He's the tiny clown fish (can't remember his name).

Definitely a great sequel to The Vicious Deep. It took me awhile to get into the book, and not because it was slow the action is practically non-stop, but once I did I couldn’t set it down!

Tristan’s has a lot to go through in this book. With a sea dragon, crazy mermaid princesses, demanding and loony oracles (though I suppose I’d be a bit nuts too having to see the future in every
Rachel
I adore Tristan. I love the way Cordova writes out his thoughts. They are truly beautiful words. They are deep and dark and twisting, but also light and funny at the same time. It's great. I really, really like the imagery that goes into this. I can practically see those evil, freaky, mermaid oracles-slash-witches. Shelly's awesome. Nieve is really scary.
(minor) (view spoiler)
Step Into Fiction
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jessica
I said it in my review of The Vicious Deep and I will say it again, this is probably one of the best books I've read that's written by a female author but told from a male's POV. He sounds like any teenage boy I work with and it's just amazing how real he sounds. It's hard to come across books told from a boy's POV but written by a woman and it seem so real. So hats off to you, Zoraida!

That being said, I loved The Savage Blue. The friendships that were formed in The Vicious Deep formed to become
Tamara
I feel like there's something missing between the first book and this one, a missing link from point A to point B--particularly when it comes to Tristan and Layla. (view spoiler)

Tristan is more likable in this book, probably because he's living up to his reputation concerning girls. He's forced to grow up and accept responsibilities in this co
K
The writing in these books can be beautiful, but unfortunately it's obscured by the poor progression of action, i.e. it's not quite clear who is doing what where at all times. The book feels a bit like a first draft, and while I appreciate how quickly the plot moved, a lot of action got lost between chapters. The big problem of this book isn't that it dragged, as is usually the problem with middle books, but that too many things happened. Still, I enjoy Tristan as a main character, and Córdova w ...more
Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick)
asdfjk;l. Like it's predecessor, The Savage Blue is my favorite summer blockbuster in book form. Tristan's Tony Stark wit, Thor-like mythos, Steve Rogers-esque heroism is a winning formula. I love this book to death, and cannot WAIT until the next one.

Full review at merbooksblog.blogspot.com to come.
Ricky
And so continueth the adventures of Tristan the Merman! More action, more mayhem, more wacky humor...and some seriously twisted stuff right at the end. Man, the feels...
Dallas Jones
Apr 13, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE THAT COVER!!!
Kristi
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series! Review to come!
Ashley Chen
Mar 01, 2012 marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Grabby Hands
GIVE MEEEEEE, OR YOU SHALL DIE

Okay, have to put this on hold since I realized I have many blog tour books I have to review first... T______T wait for me guys!
Victoria
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book couldn't put it down can't wait till the third book plus Layla and tristin are so cute together
Rebecca
This series started out with some promise even though I didn't find Tristan to be that likeable of a character at first. However, this second book was a struggle to get through and I most likely won't read the third, unless it's to skim through quickly to get the gist of the story.

The Savage Blue was in dire need of editing. Whole chapters and chunks could have been cut out of the book to make the storyline faster paced. There were just bizarre things thrown in (some random card game?) and over
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
A tighter narrative than the first book in the trilogy. This book immerses the reader once again in magical Coney Island, where vampires and demigods come to the aid of a half-human merman on his quest for the pieces of the ocean's scepter.

It was fast-paced and possibly over-seasoned with characters, though each new face had just enough of a voice to keep them from flatness. I'll be interested to see how the trilogy concludes!
}~>O MERBOOKS: T...: The Savage Blue 11 35 Apr 28, 2013 10:51PM
  • The Twice Lost (Lost Voices, #3)
  • Deep Betrayal (Lies Beneath, #2)
  • Tempest Revealed (Tempest, #3)
  • Dark Water (Siren, #3)
  • Dangerous Depths (The Sea Monster Memoirs #2)
  • Tidal Whispers
  • Fury's Fire (Siren's Storm, #2)
  • Descent (Son of a Mermaid, #1)
  • Surface
  • The Rose Throne (The Rose Throne, #1)
  • Just for Fins (Fins, #3)
  • May (Daughters of the Sea, #2)
  • The Moon and the Tide (Marina's Tales, #2)
  • Stormswept (Ingo, #5)
  • Evergreen (Mer Tales, #2)
  • Intuition (Transcendence, #2)
  • Luminaire (Florence Waverley, #2)
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
Zoraida Córdova is the author of urban fantasies The Vicious Deep trilogy and the Brooklyn Brujas series. Her short fiction has appeared in the New York Times bestselling anthology, Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View, and the feminist witch anthology, Toil & Trouble. Labyrinth Lost, won an International Latino Book award, was named a Best Book of 2016 by Paste Magazine. Zoraida is current ...more

The Vicious Deep (3 books)
  • The Vicious Deep (The Vicious Deep #1)
  • The Vast and Brutal Sea (The Vicious Deep #3)
“May the seas bend to your journey.” 5 likes
“He's nothing but a pile of sand. Everything he ever was. Everything he would ever be is blowing away in the wind. Poof, just like that.” 0 likes