Start by marking “Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)

Dead Water

(A Loon Lake Mystery #3)

While out kayaking, Paul Osborne discovers the grisly remains of a woman -- whose shoulders bear mysterious bite marks. And just as Lew begins her investigation, another body turns up . . . The second victim was a successful businesswoman from Kansas City, and the evidence indicates she was in Loon Lake for a rendevous with an ex-lover -- a con man who had tried to get his

Published June 1st 2001 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Dead Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Water

Start your review of Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
Dec 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes to read a mystery while at their cabin.
The third book in the Loon Lake Fishing Mystery Series.

This book was a little more predictable than the first two books - but it introduced more characters and I got a sense that Victoria Houston was building a little background for further adventures (aka - books) so it's understandable. This one again features Chief of Police Lew Ferris, retired dentist Paul Osbourne and his fishing friend and good neighbor Ray. It also introduces Gina - an investigative reporter - who I can see adding a lot
Kathy
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
My library had this paperback on offer in a bunch of selected summer reads, so I checked it out. Yes, it qualifies if you are interested in fishing. Very Midwestern, something I am quite familiar with having grown up in those environs...just not the north woods of Wisconsin. There are some great descriptions of the waters, the boats, the fishermen who get to enjoy those catch and release experiences and talk about them. This book was a quick read, has some primary character development that sets ...more
Renee
Poignant entry in the series. Another enjoyable visit to Loon Lake.

Kindle Unlimited, read & listen.
Eileen Lynx
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reads like a beautiful travelogue with a fun mystery attached.
IslandRiverScribe
For once, our main protagonist does not discover the body in this third entry of the Loon Lake series. However, he is just around the bend in the creek when he hears the screams of the woman who has discovered the body. As a part-time deputy for the Loon Lake police department, Paul Osborne secures the scene then rows his kayak back to phone it in.

The situation he relates to Lew Ferris is a grisly one: a young woman is half-nude and tangled upside down in a hedge, having apparently been tossed
Joan
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good book in an interesting series. It surprises me that I enjoy books that are so heavy on fishing, but the Loon Lake series always has an interesting plot and are an entertaining departure from the usual cozy mystery.

In this book, Ray has a teenager dropped on him that he is told is his son.

Gina is a journalist who came north to find the man she is convinced has killed her friend. She falls fast and hard for the area, and possibly for Ray. She purchases a run down cottage on Loon Lake
Norma
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Dead Water is a fun easy read. I figured out the murderer early on, but the path to solving the murder kept me reading. Born and raised in the northwoods of Wisconsin, Victoria Houston has the ability to weave colorful real life scenarios into a murder plot. The fictional Loon Lake is the perfect setting and you can almost feel the fishing pole in your hands. Dead Water is one of many in the Loon Lake murder mysteries and I will be reading more.
Baglady
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: wplc-holdings
more complex but less believable than the other 2 from the series which I recently read, peopled by interesting supplemental characters; after 3 the plots are blending. These will be good easy-read breaks every now and then, but not engaging enough for me to want to know what happens next to the main characters. In a way, just like the real communities around northern lakes - great for relaxing and sitting around watching the dragonflies on the lake, no tension or overwhelming drama.
Helen
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another excellent read from a good author, although I may have to downgrade it to 3 1/2 stars as I worked out who the villain was fairly early in the story. The back story was good as were the newly introduced characters.
Marie (UK)
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was Ok but nothing exceptional. An easy read with a believable plot and characters
Annie
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most excellent 5 star read! still loving the series and the people of Loon Lake
Gerri R.
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best in the series so far. Getting to like the characters a whole lot!
Kurtis Macdonnell
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loon-lake
Third in the series, much better flow than the second. She was able to fill in background info without word for word repetition from the previous book.
Kathie
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great mystery. Love the characters in this series. And it is fun to read about places I know well.
Linda Van Erem
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it hope she writes more
Chuck
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Another good Northwoods mystery, on to #4
Jodi
Mar 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third in the Chief Lewellyn Ferris series set in fictional Loon Lake, Wisconsin near Rhinelander. Lew loves to fly fish and has developed a relationship with retired dentist Doc Osborne who she often deputizes along with Ray Pradt (a hunting and fishing guide, grave digger and neighbor to Doc Osborne who wears a large stuffed trout on his hat) to help on cases. In this case, the bodies of two women are found within hours of each other, seemingly not connected in that one is a local a ...more
Julie
Another great Loon Lake mystery. Dr. Paul Osborne--retired dentist--is out kayaking and runs into a woman paddling out with her son who tells him she saw some horrific remains. He investigates then goes to find Lew--the police chief. Pretty soon after, another body is found who turns out to be of a woman who was searching for a con man she had been engaged to.

Everytime I want a relaxing and enjoyable mystery, I read one of these. I know that the mystery will be good, but also that the small town
Elizabeth
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Janell
Jul 20, 2014 rated it liked it
The premise for this mystery was definitely intriguing, however, the murderer was glaringly obvious really early on. Made the main characters seem a little dense for taking so long to pick up on the clues, and since they're portrayed as being very intelligent, that made it feel a little unbelievable. I really enjoy this series, however. The mysteries are interesting but are light enough to avoid that gruesome thriller genre. Plus, the main characters are quite appealing. And no cooking or needle ...more
Jared Tebon
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
a book about mystery, murder and a little bit of fly fishing. the book is about a retired dentist who ends up helping the sheriff of loon lake (who he has a secret crush on). because he came across a murder and then as they start to investigate there is another murder both have strange bite marks on their shoulder. there is also a man named ray pradt who helps in finding the man who murdered the two women. i think its a good book and would maybe request it to a friend.
Roxann
Jun 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was another book in the series from Victoria Houston. I wish I had been able to acquire the books in the order they were written. But when you hunt for bargains you take whichever one comes up. This was an interesting book. The author has the character Ray Pradt appear to be maturing, well slightly. I liked the way the author wove everything together at the end.
Arielle Gordon
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I swear, I cannot get enough of this series! The characters are just so real to me. I can totally picture living down the road from Doc and Ray ~ I would love to fish all the time & solve murders like they do! ...more
Lorlee
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Not available at the library so had to buy it.

Ray has a maybe son. 2 women are shot. Killer is the guy at the wildlife ranch who is into stock fraud.

Doc is geting more enamored of Lew
Bryan
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The 3rd book in the Loon Lake Mystery Series. More predictable than the first two books. Really enjoy the characters in this series. This book adds Gina an investigative reporter. A wonderful small town mystery.

Mike Murray
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it
2016 Book #60/35: Much like book #2, there is a lot of repetition of things written in the first book. That being said, it's still a fun read. The cast is no, Holmes and Watson, but entertaining nonetheless.
Karen
Sep 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read for the genre. I like a good mystery once in awhile. I particularly enjoyed this one because it took place in Wisconsin where my daughter lives.
Shanna
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Small town murder mystery, who done it type. Good quick read.
Jeffrey Johnson
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
As good as the first one, and much better than the second. Glad to have Dr. Osbourne & Ray back in good form! ...more
Rebecca
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Takes place "up north" a must read for any Wisconsinite!

• The Greatest Success in the World
  • Adventures in Prayer
  • Tailspinner (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mountain Mystery #6)
  • Murder on the SS Rosa (Ginger Gold Mysteries #0.5)
  • Gators and Garters (Miss Fortune Mystery #18)
  • Murder at Hartigan House (Ginger Gold Mysteries #1)
  • The Stranger Inside
  • Almost Midnight (Mike Bowditch, #10)
  • False Cast (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mountain Mystery #5)
  • Bitch Creek (Stoney Calhoun #1)
  • Dead Drift (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mystery #4)
  • Blood Knot (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mystery #3)
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • Take the Bait (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mystery #1)
  • Canyon Sacrifice (National Park Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Head (Dakota Mystery Series Book 8)
  • Hid from Our Eyes (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #9)
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL, DEAD LOUDMOUTH, DEAD SPIDER, DEAD FIREFLY the 18th in the series, will be published in JUNE 2018 in hardcover, trade paperback and ...more

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
  • Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)