Start by marking “The Binman Chronicles. Neville Southall” as Want to Read:
The Binman Chronicles. Neville Southall

The Binman Chronicles. Neville Southall

Considered among the greatest goalkeepers of all time and one of English football's defining figures over a career that spanned more than two decades, Neville Southall tells his life story. Uncompromising, unorthodox and often unkempt, Southall's career followed an incredible trajectory: from football-mad binman to the greatest goalkeeper in the world.
Published August 1st 2012 by Decoubertin (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Binman Chronicles. Neville Southall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Binman Chronicles. Neville Southall

Brendan Crowley
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sport
I’ve always liked Neville Southall – the legendary Everton and Wales goalkeeper who played into his 40’s. By the time I was a football obsessive 8 year old, he was already in the later years of his Everton career and the team were a long way away from the League and FA Cup winning teams of the mid-80’s. Southall appeared to be a throwback to an earlier era as football became increasingly commercially driven.

The Binman Chronicles is a fairly standard ex-footballers autobiography. It f
Gav Johnson
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
He was My footballing hero.
Ron
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm sad to give this just two stars. Nev was one of my heroes and I still think he was possibly the best ever British goalkeeper. Then, when I heard he was now into teaching NEET youths, I felt I must read it.

Of course, many sports stars employ professional ghost writers to write their "autobiographies" but this clearly was not the case with Nev. I'm convinced every word was his own ... unfortunately. He paid little attention in school, he tells us, and was often sent out of class to
James Hartley
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
It aint Shakespeare but it is Big Nev and while its true that it leaves plenty out, if youve ever heard the man talk, its fairly true to who he is.

The best goalkeeper Ive ever seen play the game, at his peak, 84-87, Southall is rightly a hero to Evertonians and probably deserves to be called a living legend. Like goalies should be, hes a loner and isnt bothered about changing. He is who he is. I chuckled at his comment that hes one of those people who look dishevelled even in a suit. But hes al
Josh C.
Interesting, especially for the typical American latecomer to Everton support that I am, and probably better than the average 'footballer book'.

That said, the writing standard of North American athlete books is so much higher than that of their British counterparts (i.e. NA ghostwriters rewrite much harder), Brit books are often a tough slog if you've grown up on US/Canadian style. Footballer books also often come across as uninquisitive monologues vs. the American warts-and-all approach of the post-
Andrew Shipway
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
A well written book by probably the best goalkeeper in the world in the mid 80's. A professional footballer who was a teatotaller and shunned the rock and roll lifestyle so many professional footballers seem to crave.
Many thought he was eccentric and a bit of loner. But as you will learn all he ever wanted to do was play football to the best of his ability, all the other distractions meant nothing to him.
So refreshing to hear from a footballer who played for the love of the game, not
David Diamond
Great goalkeeper

Great keeper. Very blunt,honest,forthright and opinionated. There is only one southall. A breed apart not your ordinary footballer but definitely misunderstood
Blair Johnson
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Honest, compelling, genuinely interesting ... Best football book of the year (equal first with Mick Rathbone's 'Smell of Football') ... COYB
Maris Peizums