Start by marking “The Death Artist” as Want to Read:
The Death Artist

The Death Artist

Collected for the first time in paperback are 12 of Etchison's finest tales of horror and suspense. The winner of multiple World Fantasy and British Fantasy awards, Etchison shows what lurks behind the veil of familiarity.

The dog park --
The last reel --
When they gave us memory --
On call --
Deadtime story --
Call home --
No one you know --
A wind from the south --
The scar --
The
Published February 1st 2002 by Leisure Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Death Artist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death Artist

Jonathan Janz
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I almost gave this collection a four-star review, but I decided to award it five. You know why?

It disturbed me.

Etchison doesn't write tales with tidy twist endings. That's not how he rolls. A short story can be all sorts of things, and though I love stories with knockout, shocking climaxes and chilling denouements (see Ray Bradbury's "The Small Assassin" for a fine example of what I'm talking about), I also appreciate tales that get under my skin and refuse to leave me alone. And while all the
Kevin Lucia
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Etchison's work never fails to make me think, and his examination of "mundane" horrors is razor sharp. There are a few times, however, when I tell myself: "Loved that story. Don't know why and I'm not sure what happened, though..."
Charles Dee Mitchell
Oct 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Etchison’s stories are better the more abstract he lets them be. Tales of hapless protagonists slipping into their grim, unavoidable fates easily come off as storylines for 1960’s episodic TV – The Twilight Zone, Thriller, Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Etchison has a few of those, but at his best he uses his precise Los Angeles geography to place the reader in the uncomfortable position of watching something horrible and unhinged take place, something as baffling to the reader as it is to Etchison’ ...more
Jay
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Dennis Etchison is great at setting a mood. Some of the stories in here were awesome (like, stay-up-later-than-I-wanted-to awesome), some had a twist that I saw coming, and a couple I just didn't quite get (perhaps because I stayed up too late reading them). I really like reading this guy's books and will continue to try to track them down (they're a little hard to find).
Alan
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
I've read short fiction before by Etchison and liked it well enough, but this collection was sorely disappointing. Almost every showed promise and even dangled you along anticipating what horrors would unfold. However, it seems that Etchison either ran out of steam so just ended most of the stories ambiguously and with no resolution, or failed to realize he was wasn't imparting on the page what he had in mind for what happened.
Duane
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There aren't any better than Etchison out there. There are few that are as good, for me, at delivering that creeping chill, the one built up out of suggestion and misdirection, out of glimpse and sketchy foreshadowing. The thing with a Dennis Etchison apparatchik, though, it can survive the light. His demons caper in the spotlight. They're not shy.
As in his earlier collection The Dark Country, Etchison weaves his tales with the barest hint of a common thread, more an allegation than an actuality
Jonathan Oliver
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Etchison's collection demonstrates why he is one the most distinctive and incisive horror writers around. A blend of LA noir and supernatural horror that is essential reading for any short fiction fan.
Wanda Corrales
Scott
Apr 11, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
aka Jack Martin.

Dennis Etchison's short stories have appeared in numerous magazines and anthologies since 1961, and in his collections The Dark Country, Red Dreams, The Blood Kiss and The Death Artist. He is also an editor (Cutting Edge, MetaHorror, Masters of Darkness, The Museum of Horrors), novelist (Darkside, California Gothic, Double Edge), screenwriter and the winner of five British Fantasy