Start by marking “Arctic-Nation (Blacksad, #2)” as Want to Read:
Arctic-Nation (Blacksad, #2)

Arctic-Nation (Blacksad #2)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  2,800 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
John Blacksad is a private detective who's seen much evil in the past, but never in his long life has he encountered a case as bizarre, as twisted, or as deadly as the one he accepts now. In a town where white supremacists have moved in and are seizing control, Blacksad is asked to find a kidnapped child and bring the kidnappers to justice.
Published September 1st 2005 by iBooks (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Arctic-Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arctic-Nation

Javier Muñoz
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Para mi mejora bastante respecto a la primera historia de Blacksad, una trama más compleja y original que introduce temas como los problemas raciales y que tiene varios giros interesantes.

El dibujo de Guarnido es fantástico, nos ofrece un nivel de detalle, un dominio del movimiento y la expresión de los personajes y un sentido de la estética excepcional.
Constanza
4.5

Much better story than the first volume!
Aildiin
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bandes-dessinees
Blacksad takes on racism, as good if not better than the first one
Karine Mon coin lecture
Original review in French, on my blog: http://moncoinlecture.over-blog.com/a...

J'ai préféré ce tome au premier. Le scénario est plus abouti et les images sont, encore une fois, magnifiques!
João Carlos

“Blacksad – Arctic - Nation”, segundo livro de banda desenhada de dois jovens autores espanhóis, Díaz Canales (n. 1972), argumentista e Guarnido (n. 1967), desenhador, numa publicação conjunta do jornal Público/Edições Asa, Volume 3 da “Colecção Grandes Autores de Banda Desenhada” editada em 2008 em Portugal, num volume que engloba dois álbuns - “Blacksad – Algures Entre as Sombras” e “Blacksad – Artic - Nation”.
No segundo volume “Arctic – Nation” o detective Blacksad, o gato preto, conhece o jo
David Schaafsma
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-crime, gn-european
This is the third in the Blacksad series I am reading, this one the second volume, though the order doesn't really seem to matter. Start anywhere. I liked the first one best, in part because the characters as animals approach was so well done, and it was so fresh for me; I liked the fourth volume less well. This one is sort of in between. It's a little too much story for 56 pages, I think, but as with all of these in this series, the storytelling and dialogue take second place anyway to the amaz ...more
Nightlizard
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. More than the first story. This one was more twisted and more detailed.
Raquel Dias da Silva
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Raquel by: my brother
Blacksad, com argumento de Juan Díaz Canales e desenho de Juanjo Guarnido, trata-se de uma série de banda desenhada espanhola (embora o target seja sobretudo o público francês), que acompanha John Blacksad, um detective privado.

Blacksad – Arctic Nation trata-se do volume 2 da série de banda desenhada dos espanhóis Canales e Guarnido e aborda a questão de violência inter-racial e da segregação racial existente num subúrbio ficcional da América, chamado The Line. Outras problemáticas referidas são
Michael Finocchiaro
This second installment of the Blacksad series was beautifully illustrated and a great followup to the epic first volume. A dark, brooding police story with fascinating characters, it is a fascinating universe that Canales has created here!
Malapata
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
La historia no es nada del otro mundo, jugando con los tópicos del género negro. Pero los dibujos son increíbles, tanto los escenarios como, sobre todo, los personajes.
Jimmakos Gavagias
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty interesting.i liked how characters were impersonated from animals
Alex Panagiotopoulos
Δεύτερη ανάγνωση μετά από σχεδόν 3 χρόνια του "Αρκτικού Έθνους"από την Ελληνική έκδοση αυτή τη φορά. Παραμένει, όπως και το "Ανάμεσα στις σκιές", εξαιρετικό σαν σύνολο. Το σενάριο είναι κάποια κλικ πιο δουλεμένο από το πρώτο και διαπραγματεύεται ευαίσθητο θέμα χωρίς να χαρίζεται ο Canales και στις δύο πλευρές, το σκίτσο είναι πραγματικά σε άλλο επίπεδο.
João  Jorge
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
“Arctic Nation” is a wonderful follow-up to Blacksad's first volume. The art is still superb, with amazing detail, beautiful color and just magnificent drawings. The characters design and facial expressions are particularly admirable. When it comes to art this volume is truly a masterpiece.
The way every character is an “animal” and how that combines with the the noir genre and the 1950's is still as refreshing an idea and as interesting as in the first volume.
But also like in the first volume,
Willem van den Oever
With the first ‘Blacksad’ comic, writer Díaz Canalez and artist Guarnido amazed the reader with a detective-story, populated with animals, which contained enough edge to lift it above any kind of Disney rip-off. It was a layered, mature story, brilliantly executed and drawn.

With the series second chapter, ‘Arctic Nation’ – a kidnap story with its roots placed firmly in a 1950’s America when racism ruled its society – Guarnido’s art is as excellent as his previous work. Having been an animator, t
Ercsi91
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A portrait of the cold, harsh and realist world as how it is.

Blacksad solves a family case with marvelous actions, and with a help of a journalist.

Liked very much the idea of a partner.

Just like in old school detective stories.

And still in love with these beautiful art works.
Fredrik Strömberg
The second volume and this is stil really, really good entertainment. The script is clear and easy to follow without being self-evident. Recreating the racial tensions in the US of the 1950s with anthropomorphic characters that are divided into white and black works on several levels. For me, reading this now, sadly resonates much more with my own country and my own time, than the first time I read this book. Now. we've got a major Swedish party which has based its ideals on nationalism and fasc ...more
Subroto
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Feel under immense pleasure to say I love it but can't - cos I did not.

I know I know how can i ?

I know this is a multiple award winning book .....but i gotta be honest to myself.

The book did not move me or excite me the way i had expected it to be.

It was neither a great noir nor a great story played cleverly by executing human elements / traits via animal faces / identities.

For me this was not as good as they all said it would be.

Maybe some other time when i return to it like one does to a
carl caesar
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No puedo más que maravillarme de este tomo. Me parece realmente fantástico, con un tono de novela negra genial, la ambientación en el crack del 29 le da una estética impresionante que casa a la perfección con el impresionante dibujo, que es sencillamente espectacular.

La historia esta basada en el racismo y la venganza, un concepto bastante usado en general, pero que le permite dar unas cuantas vueltas de tuerca al argumento, que nos deja con un final que... Bueno, mejor que lo veáis vosotros mis
Книжни Криле
Преди камара години от Студио Арт Лайн издадоха „Блексед 1: Някъде сред сенките”, който определено е един от най-красивите, най-стойностните и най-непреходни комикси, които някога са виждали печат у нас. Нещо повече, Блексед е един от най-добрите и епични комикси изобщо, в световната комикс история. Не преувеличавам ни най-малко. Прочетете ревюто на "Книжни Криле:

Vale
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sono in piena assuefazione da Blacksad. Non riesco a smettere di leggerlo e rileggerlo, help! L'ho scoperto per caso e me ne sono innamorata. E' un fumetto originale e poetico che regala atmosfere alla Raymond Chandler e disegni con tagli e punti di vista assolutamente dinamici. Ottimo.
Elisabeth Marrón
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Segundo tomo de Blacksad. Mejor que el primero.
Me está encantando este personaje, lástima que ya tenga dos gatos en mi casa, que si no adoptaba a otro negro solo para llamarlo como el protagonista.
Husti
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tebeos, española
Una guión sencillo pero sólido y un dibujo más que excelente, como en el primer álbum, quizá mejor ¿Qué más se puede pedir? Se lee y se relee con muchísimo gusto.
Sofia
Jan 12, 2017 added it
Shelves: 2017, comics-wip

A dose of noir from Mr Blacksad is welcome any time.........
Sara
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A more intricate and thematic plot, with nods to Devil in a Blue Dress. Art and story work together thematically on a higher level than the first book. The art is so striking!
Мирослава
Вълнуваща и заплетена история, симпатични герои и впечатляващи рисунки.
cris
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5. El argumento es mucho más interesante y complejo que en el primer volumen, mientras que el dibujo sigue siendo excepcional. Un cómic fantástico.
Thomas Haaland
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The second Blacksad-book is even better than the first - the art is again absolutely stunning, but the story is even more gripping than last time. The hatred of the white supremacists and the terror they create are so vividly portrayed, and I adore how well the medium is able to convey such expressions, through complex facial expressions or just the right framing, in a way that non-graphical novels can't. The only thing holding back the last star is that it's so short - I took my sweet time soak ...more
Jan vanTilburg
A magnificent book!
Story, graphics, layout, cadres of the pictures, perspectives; all contribute to the narrative and the atmosphere of the action.
I liked it better than the first book in the series

A story about racism.
Blacksad is asked to find a missing girl of color. His quest brings him into the shady world of Artic Nation, a racist movement (reministent to the KKK) who has taken over the city. The police are condoning them for its own questionable reasons...
Blacksad is helped by a side kick
  • Les Quantités négligeables (Le combat ordinaire, #2)
  • Le Secret du janissaire (De Cape et de Crocs, #1)
  • Wake: Gearing Up (Sillage, #3)
  • Le Labyrinthe d'Émeraude (Long John Silver, #3)
  • Arrugas
  • Peter Pan #4 : Mains rouges
  • Idées noires : L'intégrale
  • Le roi de la bagarre (Donjon Zénith, #2)
  • Le Pays Qâ (Thorgal, #10)
  • La Marque du Diable (Le Scorpion, #1)
  • El almanaque de mi padre
  • Là où va l'indien (XIII, #2)
  • Je sais que tu viendras... (Sambre, #2)
Juan Díaz Canales is a Spanish comics artist and an animated film director, known as the co-creator of Blacksad.
More about Juan Díaz Canales

Blacksad (5 books)
  • Blacksad (Blacksad, #1)
  • Âme rouge (Blacksad, #3)
  • L'Enfer, le silence (Blacksad, #4)
  • Amarillo (Blacksad, #5)

Fiction Deals

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things