Start by marking “KnitLit (too): Stories from Sheep to Shawl . . . and More Writing About Knitting” as Want to Read:

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  214 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Knitters are a breed unto themselves. They speak their own language, and they harbor a passion for their craft that takes a strong hold, blocking out troubles and worry, whenever they pick up the needles. But knitters are not exclusionary—all are welcome into the warm circle once you appreciate the beauty of hand-spun and dyed yarn, the sense of focus that comes with start ...more
Published May 5th 2010 by Three Rivers Press (first published February 24th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about KnitLit (too), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about KnitLit (too)

Clare O'Beara
I don't knit, but I enjoyed reading this book by and about knitters. The pieces are all short and follow on straight after one another, so that the reader can find it hard to stop reading as they don't finish at the bottom of a page very often.

Common themes are being taught to knit as a child by a loved relative or friend; being unable to knit until adulthood; men who knit casually; knitting and giving away garments; making friendships through knitting. The enjoyment of vibrant colours and soft
Sep 07, 2007 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Featuring another rich array of contributors, KnitLit Too includes folksinger Christine Lavin and writers Perri Klass, Lesléa Newman, and Suzanne Strempek Shea. Featured as well are stories by a third-grader who picks up the needles for the first time, a mother waiting to wrap her soon-to-be-adopted child in the blanket she made for him, a sister upstaged by her Merchant Marine brother who happens to be a natural knitter, a man who is forced to admit to the new woman in his life that, yes, he kn ...more
May 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: knitting
The Stephanie Pearl McPhee story that kicks off this collection about trying to knit while ice skating was absolutely hilarious, but the rest of this book fell flat for me. I appreciate the idea of putting together personal memories about knitting and how it affected the authors' lives...but for the most part they didn't seem to have a point, and even those that were genuinely touching got lost among the cloying overwrought ones.
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was an enjoyable read, a book I'd take with me while I ate my meals in solitude in Crossroads. There were several 9/11 stories which I skimmed over, since I don't care for 9/11 much.
Sue K
Oct 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafty
Nice, light stories that I read while enjoying my evening bath
Jan 15, 2009 rated it liked it
This book made me want to knit constantly.
Jun 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Knitters
Funny, touching, and enlightening. People knit (or not) for a lot of reasons - relaxation, creativity, or tradition. This book explores a lot of the feelings people have about the process.
Aug 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Cute and relatable.
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Warm, thoughtful, interesting stories about knitting and knitting people.
Oct 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute. Light-hearted read. A collection of stories is something I don't usually read, but it was quite good, and about knitting - bonus! LOL!
Sep 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I enjoyed this but not as much as the first one.
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Bummed - it wasn't for me but don't let this puny review discourage you.
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed these essays on knitting from a wide variety of authors, knitters, spinners, etc. Some stories make me laugh, others bring a tear to the eye.
Jo (Bloomin'Chick)
Feb 22, 2008 rated it did not like it
found this at the library on 2/21 ~ looks interesting!
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another great mesh of heartwarming stories from other knitters.
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Again...Wolf found just the right stories to compile in this 2nd book in the series. Enjoy it with a cup of tea!
rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2008
Jun 21, 2013
Sep 19, 2014
Judy Brechtel
rated it did not like it
Aug 13, 2013
  • Knit. Sock. Love.
  • The Opinionated Knitter
  • At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Zen and the Art of Knitting: Exploring the Links Between Knitting, Spirituality, and Creativity
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • The Knitter's Life List: To Do, To Know, To Explore, To Make
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points  Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Custom Knits: Unleash Your Inner Designer with Top-Down and Improvisational Techniques
  • Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls
  • The Knitting Goddess: Finding the Heart and Soul of Knitting Through Instruction
  • No Idle Hands: The Social History of American Knitting