Start by marking “Patti Cake and Her New Doll” as Want to Read:
Patti Cake and Her New Doll

Patti Cake and Her New Doll

2.97  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Girls will adore two-time Newbery Honoree Pat Reilly Giff's sweet, funny picture book adventure about a spirited little girl, her irrepressible dog, and her new doll!

Patti Cake has a new doll.
Her name is On Sale.
She's afraid of the dark--just like Patti Cake.
Patti Cake also has a dog named Tootsie--
who makes a big mess out of everything!
Tootsie gets On-Sale all smudgy with
Published January 7th 2014 by Orchard Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Patti Cake and Her New Doll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patti Cake and Her New Doll

Alice
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Hum... what to say about this book...I don't know. I start with what I didn't like. It says she went to MR Herman's Everything store where she finds a doll in a box with smudges etc. So, are we talking Thrift Store. I love Thrift stores, they are awesome, but, and Everything Store to ME is a BiG BOX Store.

The awkwardness of using Greatly Dark. Not even sure if that is a description of a dark room. Really Dark? Greatly Dark? Someone call my High School English Teacher... because I don't know-- i
Whole And
A little girl gets a new doll to celebrate her new room. She names her doll 'on sale' since this is what the sign said (fell in love with the author instantly with this bit of humour). Follow On sale around as the pets smudge her and lick her and so on. A sweet story to enjoy a gentle girl and her new doll.
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Patti Cake is facing two new life challenges: a new room and a new big bed. When she goes to bed the first night, it seems “greatly dark” and lonely with one else in bed, not even her dog Tootsie. The next morning her babysitter takes her to a store where she decides to get an “on-sale “ doll that she names On-Sale. During the day she and her doll have many experiences together with Tootsie and her cat. That night Patti Cake of course discovers that the night is not so “greatly dark” any more wi ...more
Barbara
While she's glad to have her own, Patti Cake is a little bit nervous about sleeping by herself in the big bed. After she finds a doll in a thrift store, she cleans it up. But her rambunctious dog, Tootsie, causes all sorts of problems throughout the day and doesn't let up until it's time for bed. The illustrations, created with watercolor paint and colored pencil, are appealing and colorful, and show the affection Tootsie as for Patti Cake. While I liked this book, in some respects it felt as th ...more
Amy B.
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Patti Cake moves to a new house with a bedroom that’s “greatly dark.” Her babysitter takes her to pick out a new-room present, and Patti Cake chooses a doll named On-Sale (two names, just like her) who’s a little smudgy (just like her). Un-smudging On-Sale turns into a small disaster, and celebrating her new room with a pink cake turns into an even bigger one.
A cute story with a satisfactory ending. Marvelous illustrations—especially the expressions and antics of Tootsie, the disaster-causing do
Janet
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Patti Cake a real girly girl has a new room decorated in pink and lavender, but it is "greatly dark" in that room. Bella, the babysitter, buys a gift for Patti Cake in celebration of the new room and it is a doll which Patti Cake names On Sale. A disaster arises when On Sale needs a belly button and one is applied with nail polish. This is a fun girly girly book.
Brenda Kahn
May 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not a favorite. A bit too twee for my taste. Plus it didn't make sense to have this babysitter dealing with all Patti Cake's madness for days. I mean, where were the parents? Why a babysitter and not a parent?
Naomi Blackburn
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Meh, did nothing for me! I thought it was all over the place. Plus, the doll's name is "On Sale", huh? What?? I found the illustrations to be boring as well. I have seen other reviewers talk state the book's message is about facing fears, but I wasn't really impressed with how it was done.
Robin Raines-Bond
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Patti Cake gets a new gigantic bed, but her room feels dark and lonely. Her babysitter gets her a cute new doll that Patti names On-Sale, because she was. Tootsie seems to like On-Sale as much as Patti and that is where the adventures begin. Cute story and pictures.
Jen
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: pb
jump starter for talking about being afraid of the dark, etc. weird language choices. features babysitter instead of parent, which could be good for kids who have nannies, but then let's call her a nanny instead!
Trish
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: je, 2014
This book is about a girl who gets a new room and a new big bed. Then she gets a new doll. She names on On Sale because she is on sale. Then it goes on about the girl and doll bonding.
Alexandra
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book really is "ok" and several parts of it ("On Sale") are really good. But the story is pretty bland... The parts that were supposed to be exciting weren't. Sweet story, though.
PWRL
Apr 16, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
E
Michelle
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the dolls name! Cute book!
Sue Mosher
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the doll's name -- On-Sale. :-)
Robin
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
illustrations: soft colors, cute drawings
J. Jefferson
Feb 16, 2017
~*mandy*~
May 09, 2017
Jade Trinket
rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2014
Mar 18, 2015
Kiana
Jul 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
PATRICIA REILLY GIFF is the author of many beloved books for children, including the Kids of the Polk Street School books, the Friends and Amigos books, and the Polka Dot Private Eye books. Several of her novels for older readers have been chosen as ALA-ALSC Notable Books and ALA-YALSA Best Books for Young Adults. They include The Gift of the Pirate Queen; All the Way Home; Water Street; Nory Ryan ...more
More about Patricia Reilly Giff...