Start by marking “Trouper” as Want to Read:
Trouper

Trouper

A moving story of a three-legged stray dog who finds a loving boy to call his own--illustrated by Caldecott Honor Book artist E.B. Lewis. Based on a true story.

Trouper ran with a mob of mutts who tripped over trash cans and pawed the cold streets for bones. They howled and cried and wished for a home. Until one day, the dogs are captured from off the streets and put in cag
Published October 29th 2013 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Trouper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trouper

Start your review of Trouper
Edward Sullivan
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If this book does not make you want to run out to a shelter and adopt a dog, I don't know what will.
Candace
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Trooper is a three legged dog who runs with a gang of mutts. One day they are lured into the back of a man's truck with a juicy steak. The dogs are taken to an animal shelter. There Trooper watches each of his friends get adopted, but not him.

This is a story inspired by the real Trooper. The illustrations are gorgeous and remind me of paintings. The text is written in small paragraphs or a lone sentence. This story is even more meaningful knowing this book was inspired by the author's own dog.
Brenda Kahn
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely story of animal adoption. Tugs at the heartstrings in all the right places and the watercolor paintings are just lovely.
Erin
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This reminds me of the day I got my Charlie. Sometimes pets do the choosing, not people.

I love that this is based on a real Trouper and that it is from his point-of-view. Makes the ending much more special.
June
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog or disability requests
A story from a dog's point of view, running with a pack of strays, getting caught by a dogcatcher, and finally adopted. The dog just happens to have 3 legs.
Kate
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I dare you not to cry.

But, there's a happy ending. Very powerful and moving. E. B. Lewis is the perfect illustrator for this subject.
Barbara
This picture book captures perfectly the longing many stray dogs experience for a home and someone to love. Trouper is part of a large dog pack of various sizes and breeds. They cause all sorts of messes as they search for food, and they endure cruelty from others. When a dogcatcher lures them into his truck, they end up at a shelter. All of them are adopted except three-legged Trouper who describes how his heart "was a cold, starless night" (unpaged) once his friends have left. Luckily for him, ...more
Beth
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
What I found so interesting about Trouper is that it didn't beat you over the head with the fact that he was a three-legged dog. In fact, it took a few minutes for me to process that he was missing a leg because the illustrations and text are not obvious. If you don't read the inside flap synopsis (which I admittedly did not at first), there's a lot of inferencing going on, especially when you get to the last page.
Tracie
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_books
Trouper, a three-legged dog, uses poetic language to describe his journey from the streets to a shelter to a forever-home. Vivid imagery and expressive watercolor illustrations bring Trouper's plight to life. This heartfelt and affecting tale, propelled by unexpected hope and an irresistible narrator, will resonate with dog-lovers of all ages.
Karen Arendt
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
A beautiful picture book about the emotional bonds of animals: first of the dogs bond to each other in a pack before being caught by animal control then to the owner who adopts Trouper. While Trouper is missing a keg that us not mentioned in the text but us shown throughout the illustrations.
Margie
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Based upon a true story, this book speaks to dog adoption and finding the right person for the right dog, even a dog with only three legs. The artwork is so detailed it almost looks photographic.\

My full review: http://librariansquest.blogspot.com/2...
Pamela Kramer
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful picture book for any readers, but especially anyone with a dog.

Read the whole review at: Trouper
Amy-Lynn
In this heart warming story, Trouper, the stray dog, tells his story. From running with a pack of mutts, being abused by bully boys, being taken to a shelter, and finally, being adopted by a loving boy, Trouper's story will have you visiting a shelter to adopt your own dog in need!
Rachel
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
A lovely story of friendship based on a true story and with realistic illustrations.
Jesse
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This one got me. I cried! Every kid (and adult!) who reads this is going to want to adopt a pet from the local shelter pronto!
Peg
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A gentle, sweet tale with beautiful illustrations that follows a rescue dog from his time running with the pack to his settling in with his new family.
Jodie
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, dogs
Based on a true rescue story, Trouper is the story of a dog who finds his forever home. It is sweet and sad, but has a happy ending. Dog lovers will enjoy this story.
KimBear
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Trouper, a three-legged dog, remembers his life as a stray, before he was adopted."

Such a sweet, sweet story.
Mary
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful kids story about dog rescue.
Christine
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A touching and powerful book.
Beverly
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-general
A very touching, heart-warming story, with lovely watercolors which complement the story beautifully.
Cymiki
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ever since we adopted our "trouper" similar stories tug at my heartstrings. Lovely story and even more beautiful illustrations by E. B. Lewis.
Katie Darrin
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are lovely and I really liked how the story was told from the dog's perspective. My eyes welled up as they always do when I read these based-on-true-stories about dogs!
Leah
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is so sweet! I love a good dog adoption story. :) (If I had lots of money, I would buy a big chunk of land and save all the pups I could!!)
Amanda Osborne
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
gorgeous art, with a story that tugs at the heart of anyone who has adopted the dog that no one wanted.
Klaudia Janek
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libres
We meet Trouper, a black lab, who runs with a pack of dogs in a run down part of a city. It’s a hard life and things get worse when animal control lures the hungry dogs into the van. The dogs are taken to an animal shelter and separated into cages. At his lowest point, it seems as though Trouper is not going to be adopted. The story takes a heart warming turn as Trouper finds a little boy to love him. Trouper has a warm bed, food and a caring owner who runs with him.
This book makes you want to
Laura Mueller
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Laura Mueller
April 18, 2015
EDL53500 Library Materials for Children and Youth

Title: Trouper

Author: Meg Kearney

Plot: This story begins with a dog running loose with a bunch of other mutts, looking for food and being treated poorly by neighborhood kids. Then, the dog is lured into a van by a man holding a steak. The dog was rescued and taken into a shelter. He starts feeling sad when all the other animals are being adopted except for him. Then, a boy comes in and likes him right away. He is finally
Nick
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Target Audience: K-3

Summary:
Trouper is a book about a dog that is missing one leg. He travels with a group of mutts and has no home of his own. As Trouper travels, he sees how mean people can be. Children threw rocks at him and called him names. Eventually the mutts are all captured and put into an adoption home. All of his friends are adopted except for Trouper. Will Trouper find a boy who loves him, even with one leg? Or will Trouper live out the rest of his days stuck in his cage?

Activity:
Carol Royce Owen
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was a bit disappointed to read the review of this book listed here on Good Reads, because I think the beauty of this book, is the revelation of Trouper's difficulty. It is a beautiful story, and when I first heard it, I was amazed that I did not "catch on" until the very end.

Although based on a true rescue story, Trouper is told in first person, by the dog. We learn that Trouper ran with a mob of mutts until one day when a dogcatcher catches them all. One by one, Trouper watches as all of his
Holly Mueller
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked this up from the library because I saw it recommended by Lester Laminack on a FB thread about requesting ideas for picture books to teach point of view. Sweet story about a dog who is adopted. It isn't until the last page that I realized he was a 3-legged dog. I loved how that was fully revealed. E.B. Lewis's illustrations are, of course, beautiful and emotional.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Freedom on the Menu: The Greensboro Sit-Ins
  • We Don't Eat Our Classmates
  • Freedom Summer
  • Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • This Is Not My Hat
  • The Bad Seed (The Bad Seed, #1)
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • Bizzy Mizz Lizzie
  • Hello Goodbye Dog
  • The Dot
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • First Blood (D.I. Kim Stone #0.5)
  • Hats Off to Mr. Pockles!
  • Owl Moon
  • The Hallo-Weiner
  • Tales from a Not-So-Popular Party Girl (Dork Diaries, #2)
  • When Sadness Is at Your Door