Start by marking “Robot, Go Bot!: A Comic Reader” as Want to Read:
Robot, Go Bot!: A Comic Reader

Robot, Go Bot!: A Comic Reader

Boldly going where Step into Reading has never gone before: comic readers are told almost entirely in action-packed dialogue! Simple, graphic paneled layouts introduce emergent readers to the joy of comics. This Step 1 comic reader tells the story of a girl and a robot whose friendship is tested when one of them gets a bit bossy. Step 1 stories have big type and easy wo ...more
Published June 25th 2013 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Robot, Go Bot!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robot, Go Bot!

Mary Ann
Aug 22, 2013 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing
Robot, Go Bot! put a smile on my face, and I think it will do the same for our kindergartners and first graders. Kids will connect to the tale - I mean, who wouldn't want a robot they could order around to do their chores and play with them? Especially if you built that robot yourself!

They'll love the bright illustrations which focus the action on the little girl's joy, bossiness and frustration. Wook Jin Jung has a background in animation and graphic design, and you can clearly tell the influen
Jessie
Great for teaching kids to use context clues!
Pam
Dec 02, 2016 Pam rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-picture
Do you know how much I absolutely detested "Dick and Jane" books? I thought they were awful even when I was 6 yrs old. This book reminds me of those, the repetition, the boring story. Yes it has nice bright colored illustrations, yes it is about a robot, but I just felt that it underestimates children. Boring...
Danielle Jentz
Feb 27, 2017 Danielle Jentz rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Robot, Go Bot! tells the story of a young girl, and her robot friend. This friendship is put to the test as the girl becomes more and more demanding. After the robot runs away, the young girl learns and grows to realize she needs to be a better friend to have the robot as a friend too. This book is a very very easy read that students just learning to read could handle. There are a lot of rhymes in the book that helps with the reading and sound awareness in early stages. The images provide good c ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
From boxes of parts, a little girl builds a robot. She and the robot do lots of things together - go, row, sew, and glow. When she asks the weary robot to mow the lawn, and then to pull her in her wagon , though, he runs out of steam and runs away. It is only when she learns to be more fair that the robot returns to the little girl wanting to be friends.

Robot, Go Bot! is a Level 1 easy reader in a new series of comic readers published by Random House’s imprint, Step Into Reading. I was excited t
Tasha
Apr 17, 2013 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
In this most simple of graphic novels, a little girl builds a robot and when she presses the big red button, it comes to life. The robot happily plays with bubbles with her, plays ball and floats in a boat. But then, the little girl gets more demanding and has the robot sewing, being a horsie, planting a garden, and mowing the yard. Finally, the robot has had enough and leaves. While the girl searches for him, she realizes that she has to be a good friend in order to have a good friend.

Rau has
Amy Jewell
Apr 13, 2015 Amy Jewell rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
1.) The pictures are the main component for this book. There is one panel per page, so the pictures are nice and big, making the story easy to follow. Few words are used and the words/phrases used rhyme to tell the story of a girl that creates a robot to play with.

2.) This graphic novel is described as a "ready to read" level 1. It is for beginning readers-the words in the story repeat and also rhyme. This book would be good in a book bundle with the theme or robots or with the theme of rhyming
Jessica Henry
This is a really good first step book for parents and students. The front page gives an explanation on how the book is made up, giving all the terms like panel, gutter, speech balloon and caption. The book shows how the girl builds robot and then puts him to work. I would have liked to seen more story on the eventual role reversal when the girl finally understands how unfair she has been.

"Robot, Go Bot!" would work well for advanced Preschool to Kindergarten readers. The simple story line an
Beth
Apr 15, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This K-2 introductory graphic novel uses simplistic rhyme and brightly colored graphics that allow for social expansion for all ages. With only one to two graphic boxes per page, this is a great book to introduce the concept of graphic novels to young developing readers.

The little girl builds the robot out of spare parts and then they engage in all sorts of activities where the robot essentially takes on the role of the little girl's slave from the moment the little girl says the words "Go Bot!
Rosa Cline
Oct 28, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This says it's a level 1 book, but in reality it's not even a level 1 book (compared to other level 1 books I've read) It's VERY VERY basic. The entire book is made up of words like robot, go, Bot, bubble, throw, row, ho, sew, glow, so if you are working on the 'ow' sound with your child this would be a great self esteem builder for them. Two to three words per page. It's not much of a storybook (which that is what I expected and why my rating is so low) but the illustrations show how you should ...more
Carol
A clever and adorable little girl builds a robot out of scraps she finds laying around. Bot willingly does whatever the girl asks him to do at first. When she won't stop being bossy he runs away and hides. Realizing her mistake she looks for Bot until she finds him. Then she lets him have some fun for a change.
This is the first in a great new series by Step Into Reading - A Comic Reader. The picture are big, bold and colorful, sure to catch the eye of the earliest readers. The text is simple an
Megan
Nov 06, 2014 Megan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
This book is rated a level one, but I do not know if I should even have that ranking. It is very basic having simple text that rhymes and repeats. This book follows a little girl and her robot, she begins with giving him simple commands and he eventually leaves because he feels used and is tired of being bossed around. When he little girl finds him she apologizes by pushing him on a swing.
This book would be good if trying to teach students the "ow" sound because of its repetition throughout.
The
Elizabeth S
The basic story arc was good enough, that a girl bosses her robot around until the robot doesn't want to play any more, with the girl learning to act better. However, the book is billed as an Early Reader book, but since every single word (evidently) must rhyme with "bot", it gets a little confusing. A lot of the story needed to be inferred from the pictures, such as the robot's increasing dissatisfaction with being bossed around all the time. My preschooler didn't really get it.
F.
Feb 20, 2016 F. rated it it was ok
Guided Reading Level / Fountas and Pinnell Level E. There is very little text per page. Usually at most 4 words - usually 1-2 words. It essentially shows variations of the Long (O) sound in print (e.g. sew, go, glow, whoa, home) which could be useful practice. The pictures are cute but the story didn't capture my daughter's interest.
Erin
With very limited vocabulary made up of a series of rhyming commands, a little girls bosses her new robot until it gets tired of doing all the work. Then the little girl regrets her high-handedness and makes it up to Bot in a very sweet ending. I loved the pictures, and thought they created many opportunities to talk about the characters and what they are feeling.

Very easy reader (1)
Samantha
An easy reader written in comic book format. The book opens with a note from Jennifer and Matthew Holm to parents about comics and how to use them with children.

The story is about a girl who builds a robot and in rhyming text gives him a ton of chores to do. When the robot revolts, it's time to learn to be a better friend. PreK-2.
Destinee Sutton
Apr 03, 2014 Destinee Sutton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, readers
Go, Bot. Throw, Bot. Get in the boat and row, Bot! This has the feel of a classic, even though I'm not wild about the illustrations. A little girl gives simple rhyming commands to a robot until it feels ill-used and abandons the girl. She finds him and makes up for her dictatorial leanings by pushing Bot on the swing. A great early reader.
Diane
A great book for inferring and also for visual clues, as the illustrations tell a great deal of the story. A little girl builds a robot and then treats him deplorably until finally Robot has had enough!
Sara Grochowski
Jul 13, 2013 Sara Grochowski rated it it was amazing
Loved the illustrations and message behind this one. The comic format was great too, especially for readers who feel more comfortable with illustrations or those that envy their older siblings' graphic novels!
Dennis Liverani
The pictures remind me of a cartoon, cool colors and few words. A child will definitely use his or her imagination with this story, especially today with all the technology. The pictures go with the story and will help children understand the content much easier.
Briony
Jul 03, 2013 Briony rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this easy reader. The illustrations are nice and vibrant, and the comic book layout is very appealing. The storyline is very simple, allowing young readers to easily grasp the meaning of friendship.
NYC Reads 365
"A girl builds a robot friend to play with. The story is told through colorful digital illustration and speech bubbles with simple, rhyming words. A "Step into Reading First Comic" that introduces emergent readers to the joy of reading comics."
stillme
Feb 20, 2014 stillme rated it liked it
Shelves: alsc-notables
A good early reader with lots of picture clues for intonation. Despite being way below her reading level, Charlotte enjoyed reading this one to me.
ALA ALSC Notable 2014
Debrarian
Dec 15, 2013 Debrarian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-fic, reader
A solid reader. Digital pics were not really to my taste, but supported the homonymical text well. Read for Mock Geisel, 2014.
Brindi Michele
great beginning reader
Libby
Jul 11, 2014 Libby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A girl orders her robot around until it refuses to do any more work.
Bambi
Nov 17, 2014 Bambi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Great, early reader
RC
Robot, Go Bot is a sweet story of a little girl and a robot who play catch, imagine they are pirates and much more! Find out what happens when robot can't go anymore.
Matthew Hunter
ALSC Recommended Graphic Novel Reading List, K-2. A cute, cautionary tale about bossiness. Nothing overly notable here.
Erin