Start by marking “Paradox” as Want to Read:
Paradox

Paradox

The Maze Runner meets Hatchet in this sci-fi adventure with a surprise twist ending that no one will see coming.

Survive one world. Save another.

Ana wakes on a barren alien world. The instructions in her pocket tell her that she must survive a trek across Paradox in less than 28 hours.

Mission? Check.
Weapons? Check.
Memory? Missing. . . .

Meeting up with three oth
Published June 25th 2013 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Paradox, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Paradox
Frank
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this to review it prior to assigning it as a 7th grade novel. It turned out to be a great extended metaphor for the debilitating impact of trauma on society with a (somewhat simplified, but effective) solution for overcoming it: acceptance and embracing the lessons of those who had come to terms with their own.
Jessica
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Gosh this book was cool. So cool. I'm not a big fan of the cover, so I wasn't sure how the story was going to go. But when I read the inside flap, I decided to give it a try, and I'm so glad I did!

When Ana wakes up in a strange space craft on a strange planet, the only thing she knows is her name. Where is she? How did she get there? Is she alone? All Ana knows is that her watch is counting down to something and she has to follow the map before time runs out. On her way, she meets others from h
Shruthi
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ana finds herself alone in an unfamiliar planet with no memory and a letter that instructs her to follow a certain path to travel to a specific path. And because Ana is ridiculously trusting she obeys the letter and trusts/believes the various people she meets on the way. Now that I've just written that, I've realized Ana kind of sounds like Dorothy from the Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

Unfortunately this book was terribly dry and repetitive for the majority of the book. Finally around the 150th page
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Mandy C.
Cover Story: The Spice Must Flow
BFF Charm: Maybe
Swoonworthy Scale: 3
Talky Talk: Dystopia
Bonus Factor: Another Earth
Relationship Status: Nostalgic Fling

Read the full book report here.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Paradox is unique, intense and fast paced post apocalyptic adventure that takes us across the landscape of Paradox, where Ana and three other teens must survive in order to complete their mysterious mission. However they run into trouble in the form of one seriously huge and persist ant worm.

Paradox is written in 3rd person, which is a bit odd at first and I did initially have some trouble falling into the story but once it got started and the mystery becomes incredibly thick I couldn’t put it d
Liviania
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Have I mentioned how much I love that the new YA trend is standalone science fiction? It bears repeating. And I doubly couldn't resist PARADOX when the Rockstar Book Tours sign-up showed up in my email, because Shai-Hulud is on the cover and you do not mess around with sandworms.

PARADOX is lean and mean, clocking in at 240 pages. There were times when I could've used more, especially in the latter parts of the novel. But I liked that A. J. Paquette didn't add a lot of padding. What's left is the
Arek Migdesyan
B.
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
The arrangement of this world is obvious in hindsight but is at least somewhat interesting on first read. A very fast, almost light story, and didn't leave a huge impression despite its subject matter. Unlike many reviewers I had no problem with 3rd person, which I find more natural (and maybe more challenging for the writer, when a clear protagonist is present) than 1st person.

I should note that I probably would've given this book 4 stars in the past, and my rating criteria have changed.
Ann  Andrea
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ann-s-owned-book
Jerry
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it
So far it reminds me like the maze runner series and I loved that series,, What I also like is that this is not a trilogy or a several book series, cause all I read are series and it's nice to read just 1 book without waiting for the next.. When I am finished the book I will give my review bit so far so good
Ashley
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! Short and simple... Reminds me of The Maze Runner. Would def recommend if you like that series.
Kristina
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nikki
May 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi, ya
The short: Interesting idea. Bad writing.

The premise was intriguing enough to keep me reading to see how it all played out. Unfortunately, when I got to the end I was mostly disappointed. The author uses a lot of painfully bad tropes and has a weak vocabulary. Everything in the book is described in rambling childish ways. (Pretty much everything is "redish-brown" or "purple blue" rather than actual colors.) The characters are completely undeveloped. The main character, Ana, has no memories, and
Gina Schaarschmidt
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cms-acr-2019
Ana wakes up on a spaceship on a strange planet and has no idea who she is. Stuck to her shirt is a note that tells her she must reach a certain destination by a certain time and "survive." She meets a guy who is apparently in the same situation, and then two others on the way. The others seem to know a little bit more than Ana about what is going on, but they aren't spilling the beans. In the meantime, there is some urgency in making it to their destination, but a giant worm and periodic episod ...more
Michelle
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Upon waking with no memory and on another planet, Ana must rush against the clock to figure out why she was sent on this mission. Experience. Discover. Survive. That's pretty much all she has to go on, until she runs into 3 others on the planet. Running into snatches of what appear to be memories of another person and place, trying to out run a fearsome creature and trying to stay alive, Ana quickly begins to realize all is not as it seems. She needs to figure out how the memories she's finding ...more
Candace Wondrak
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a short read, but it. was. so. fun! I wasn't expecting much because I found it super cheap (and the cover is...bleh. So ugly), but guys, this is seriously a diamond in the rough. I don't think this little book got nearly the hype it deserved (or the cover, for that matter). It's part science fiction, part apocalyptic and there are twists in this book that I did not see coming. An impressive feat for a book that doesn't even make 300 pages.

I really enjoyed this book, and I think th
Rohan Munagekar
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was a nice story. It was pretty packed with action and for me, it was totally a page turner. I read around 110 pages each day, which is why I was able to finish it in two days. It contains a lot of twists, turns, and surprises that the reader would least expect. I remember receiving this book as a gift in 3rd grade from my school, and I just got to it as a freshman in high school. I highly recommend this book for anyone looking for a fun story. It is not difficult to understand or read ...more
Dragoonfliy
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Short but good and interesting scifi book about a girl with amnesia waking up on an alien planet. Really enjoyed the directions the plot took, was definitely darker than expected. The bonus at the back only made the story more poignant. Only minor issue I had was that there really didn't feel like a proper relationship between two of the characters. It was sort of just given to us as is. But it was so short it's really a minor quibble.
Sesana
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Interesting idea, mediocre execution. The most interesting parts of the story (Ana's parents, climbing the mountain, etc.) are brushed over or even ignored altogether, and the writing is pretty repetitive. Though it might have seemed less so if the plot were more developed. This almost feels like an abridged version, honestly.
James Montgomery
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Wasn't a big fan of the choice to use third-person present tense in the writing. The book didn't really begin telling a story until about page 150. Everything before that was character introductions and observations. I couldn't have handled it if it were a longer novel.
Mariabella
May 29, 2017 rated it it was ok

The timeline at the end of the book was skewed, does not scientifically work.
Donna Armstrong
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
I think this book had a good concept but didn't really fulfill its full potential. Good book to read but I wanted more background, more detail and more everything.
Shannon Fay
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

4 stars for a highly original premise, -0.5 stars for confusion and questions left unanswered.

Real review to come soon. Hopefully.
Gillie
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Space exploration lovers
Shelves: science-fiction
Great, but really sad at the end.😭
Mandy
Short and fun read that made me nostalgic for the dystopia heyday.

Check out my full review at Forever Young Adult.
Ben Stoddard
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting book that kept me guessing as I read through it. It was a short read and entertaining to boot, well worth the few hours I spent investing in it.
Q
Aug 12, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: randomhouse, ebook
DNF at 25%. Turns out I'm not interested in a main character who has no memories (and consequently, in my opinion, no real motivation). It might work for other people though.
Harpreet Khaira
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much! I only wish there was a sequel.
Mrs.Morgan
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come!
Aeicha
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
A.J. Paquette's Paradox is an out of this world post-apocalyptic adventure that features an intriguing premise, a strong, capable heroine, and cool sci-fi elements.

Paradox begins with Ana waking aboard a spaceship with no memory of who she is or where she is. Ana soon discovers that she is on a desolate planet called Paradox and has clear instructions to observe and survive. This planet is home to a terrifying and huge worm like creature, as well as strange streams of light that give Ana a glimp
« previous 1 3 next »

• Loki's Wolves (The Blackwell Pages, #1)
  • Rules for Vanishing
  • Everlost (Skinjacker, #1)
  • Shadow Weaver (Shadow Weaver, #1)
  • Air & Earth (Circle of Magic, #3-4)
  • Terrier (Beka Cooper, #1)
  • The Circle Opens Set 1-4
  • The Abhorsen Trilogy Box Set (Abhorsen, #1-3)
  • Water & Fire (Circle of Magic #1-2)
  •  Safekeeping
  • The Uglies Trilogy (Uglies, #1-3)
  • Steel Crow Saga
  • Comet Rising (Shadow Weaver, #2)
  • Tangled Planet
  • Thor's Serpents (The Blackwell Pages #3)
  • Odin's Ravens (The Blackwell Pages, #2)
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • The Innocence Treatment
A. J. PAQUETTE lives in Massachusetts with her family, where she is also a literary agent. Nowhere Girl is her first novel.

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...