Start by marking “Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)

Heart of Iron

(London Steampunk #2)

In Victorian London, if you’re not a blue blood of the Echelon then you’re nothing at all. The Great Houses rule the city with an iron fist, imposing their strict ‘blood taxes’ on the nation, and the Queen is merely a puppet on a string…

Lena Todd makes the perfect spy. Nobody suspects the flirtatious debutante could be a sympathizer for the humanist movement haunting Londo
Mass Market Paperback, 437 pages
Published May 7th 2013 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

Jill
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it

When Lena Todd left Whitechapel a year ago, she wanted her independence. And to put distance between herself and Will Carver, her brother-in-law's bodyguard. As an apprentice at Mandeville's Clockwork Emporium, Lena acts as a go-between and spy for the humanists. Her ability to enter into Echelon society, allows her to gather intelligence against the ruling blue bloods.

Will Carver, infected at five years of age by the loupe virus, caged and exhibited for the next ten years, owes his lif
Roobie
4 stars

Maybe you're right. Maybe I am lettin' others dictate how I see meself.
But for all your brave words, so do you.

Stacey is Sassy
There's so much going on...

Like the first book in this series, I found it a bit overwhelming trying to keep up. I think it was probably even worse listening instead of reading. Lots of different characters to meet or see again, world-building and trying to picture the scenes. Saying that, I really like the fast paced, heart pounding and exciting storyline. The characters are interesting, the world building riveting and the connection between all the characters is easy to "see".

It's a bit like a
Melanie A.
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
4 STARS!
Will was the most dangerous man he'd ever met, but his protective instincts overrode his violent ones. A wolf to his core.
YAY! This PNR steampunk world Bec McMaster has created is so addictive; I'm loving it!

The story continues with Honoria's sister, Lena, and Blade's right-hand man, Will, who've been dancing around each other for the last three years.

Will, who was infected with the loupe virus as a child and spent most of his life locked in a cage, is still struggling years later
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Bec McMaster has a unique way of luring readers in. The worldbuiling is phenomenal, the kind that is only limited by the boundaries of the imagination. McMaster continues to step over that line and creates a vastly unique and utterly vivid world that transports readers into another place. Blending together steampunk elements in a traditional historical setting is the soil in which McMaster uses to grow and bloom wonderful surprises for her readers.

Not a surprise is the brooding, mysterious Will
Bj
4 "Verwolfen" Stars for the story and narration!

This is my third dalliance with steampunk romance and I'm still loving the hybrid between a historical, paranormal and a science-fiction romance in an alternate version of the 19th Century British Victorian era. Steampunk romance combines many of my favorite romance sub-genres which keeps me thoroughly entertained with both the world building and the dynamic characters. Moreover, in Heart of Iron, we get a look at a new type of paranormal being, th
Dawn
++Spoilers++ (UPDATED REVIEW IN CAPS)

My one regret is not reading this in order. I plan to go back now and read the first. (YOUN DON'T NEED TO READ THE FIRST, AND IT IS NOT AS GOOD AS THIS ONE..I'D SAY SKIP #1)

This can be a stand alone, but I felt like I missed out on alot by reading this one first. (IT IS PERFECT AS A STAND ALONE. READING THE FIRST GIVES LITTLE MORE INSIGHT)

I am so impressed with this book that I plan on reading all of the books in this series regardless of triggers. T
Mara
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, steampunk
I side with those who didn't fall hard for this book. I have loved London Steampunk 1 (to the point of actually buying it also on paper). But this sequel has nothing of the original, except the world. Which I admit is great, and the reason the book still gets 3 stars.

The main couple are a bunch of teenegers.Lena seems a spoilt brat and has the intelligence of one too. Will, well, what about him. I liked him more than her. But given I disliked her for most of the book, there's not much to this st
-ya
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-stars
I enjoyed Bec McMaster’s debut novel Kiss of Steel. Set in the rookeries of London, the author built an interesting world that captured the feel of Victorian era. In Heart of Iron, the storyline is more about the geopolitical conflict, and humanist revolution. While both MCs are likable, I find the plot of Lena’s involvement in the conflict between humanists revolution and Echelon rather weak, and some of Lena's decisions seem a bit obtuse. Will is a classic tortured hero with broken ba
Ursula
Whew! What a ride! This lady can write- and she got me hooked.

This was a great read: exciting story, fascinating world created and intriguing characters. If you like steam punk or fantasy with a solid romance thrown in, then you will enjoy this.
I have not read a lot of steam punk because the whole machine thing has never really interested me overmuch, but I have read a lot of fantasy and sci-fi so thought I would give this one a whirl after a couple of GR friends talked about this series.

It is
alicat ♡➹♡
Wow, this book was great! Will and Lena were decent in the last book but the were both immature - I was really pleased to see this book was set three years later.

Lena was a great heroine, out to do whatever she can to help not only herself but her family and others in her restricted circumstances. She's had a huge crush on Will since she met him and hid her feelings behind silly flirtations. She lives with her half-brother (the relationship is a secret to society) and has become a spy for the hu
Lonna | FLYLēF
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-challenge
FLYLeF Book Reviews

Original Post: Heart of Iron (London Steampunk 2) at FLYLeF (www.flylef.com)

TANTALIZINGLY SEXY WITH a degree of danger, Heart of Iron (London Steampunk 2), by Bec McMaster, skillfully blends steampunk and paranormal romance into a captivating and entertaining adventure.

Helena Todd – or Lena – appears to be a flirtatious debutante mingling in London’s dangerous blue blood elite world – the Echelon. Nobody suspects her of being a sympathizer for the humanist organization determined to destroy th
Fathima
Will kissed her lips lightly, chasing away the questioning tone. “You know I love you,” he said. Her body quivered against his, but he pressed a finger to her lips, stalling her. “I would die for you,” he told her. “I’d kill for you. I faced down mechanical squid, rampagin’ humanists, and lessons in etiquette for you. I danced at a ball for you.”

Bec McMaster does it again !!!

photo i_love_steampunk_by_catherinetterings-d51wuio_zps3bbfbeb8.jpg

Heart Of Iron is a perfect mix of action , romance and steampunk !!! I love the London Bec has created in this series
Jennymort ♔ Dark Lordette
buddy read with my babe

can't wait to get this one from the library!
 Simply Sam ツ
Well, she did it again guys. Ms. McMaster just keeps adding to the fun of her London Steampunk series. This story follows Lena and Will's "wrong side of the track" love story. You're introduced to them in Book 1, as Lena is the sister to the female protag and Will is the right-hand-manboy of the male lead. This story takes place 3 years after the first book, plenty of time for that initial interaction and attraction to simmer and brew.

Will is a gruff and surly verwulfen (view spoiler)
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Lena Todd knows she is prey in a den of predators, something that becomes more apparent the longer she moves through the Echelon's world as a debutante; however, she is also a perfect spy, what Blueblood would expect the supposedly empty headed and flirtatious Lena of working for the Humanists? But it soon it becomes hard to see who is friend and who is foe, and the only time she ever feels safe is when she is around Will Carver a Verwulfen who she has had a tendre for since first laying eyes on ...more
NiteReader
Why oh why???
I loved Blade and Honoria's story and had such high hopes for this novel. But this one was filled with too much world building and background story that Lena and Will almost became part of the scenery. Now I'm on the fence about the next book, I guess I'll wait and see the reviews.
Juliette Cross
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous addition to the London Steampunk series. Truly love this world. I plan to savor each book as I work my way through it.

Recommended to readers of the dark, gritty, and super sexy paranormal.
Monique
5 golden stars

I can't believe that Heart of Iron was actually even better than the first book. (And I loooved Kiss of Steel) I'm very much enjoying this series, like in a way that I would gladly live in that Victorian Steampunk London. Preferably with a verwulfen for my protection of course.

Will and Lena were a lovely couple. I was half in love with Will in the first book already. He was fiercely protective of the people he considered his family, and it was sad to see how he struggled with feeli
Susan (susayq ~)
I love Sundays. Want to know why? Cause I occasionally spend them lying in bed all day reading, not cooking or being disturbed by the kiddos. Today was one of those Sundays. And I am beyond glad it was cause I might have had to kill someone if they tried to disturb me while I was reading this book!

As I've mentioned before, the world Bec McMaster created is amazing! It's a little dark and a lot dangerous. You never know who's truly a villain or a good guy. Now, don't misunderstand, cause there a
Dina
Will Carver is my newest book boyfriend... ;)
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted at The Book Nympho

icon AUDIOBOOK  Icon Steampunk  icon howlinggood

I highly recommend that you read the novella, TARNISHED KNIGHT before reading HEART OF IRON since there is a few chapters about Will and Lena at the end. The chapters read as a long prologue for HEART OF IRON and gives you a little insight into why Lena and Will left the Warren.

I love the heavy steampunk elements we get with HEART OF IRON. I'm still pretty new to the genre and the fantastical elements in the historical setting is like a character all its
Beth
In a world where the vampires are the ruling class (Blood Elite), life can be precarious. But being a spy for the humanist group is absolutely lethal if you make a wrong move, Lena Todd is a young debutante sitting on that razors edge. Lena is looking for her place in the world because the one place she wanted to be, with Will Carver, she felt she was rejected.

To say Will Carver’s life has been difficult would be an understatement. Turned by the Loupe virus at the age of 10, he was forced into s
Aoi
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Heart of Iron comes out as another winner for the series.. The fast paced & ridiculously addictive world Bec McMaster has created, is taken to the next level with even more world-building and complex characters readers could root for.

The year is 1879, and changes are afoot in the once- rarified world of the Echelon. Not only has Blade, the King of the Rookeries been knighted into their fold, but also his second-in-command the Beast has been roped in to secure the co-operation of the verwulf
Melanie
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
4-4.5 stars

Bec McMaster is the Steampunk QUEEN!
Amanda
This book was reviewed for:

Lets Get Romantical
Where the Night Kind Roam

I love love love this series. I cannot thank Annie ( http://www.underthecoversbookblog.com/ ) for suggesting this series to me. This book is the best of the series so far. I am in love with Will and want him for my very own! I read this book several weeks ago and for about a week after I finished it, I walked around with a Heart of Iron hangover! I couldn’t start any other books because this one was still on the brain.

This
Lindsay
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars rounded down since I liked Kiss of Steel a teensy bit better than this one I think.

For starters, this is a great read. In terms of being swept up in the action of a book and not wanting to put it down, this is a 5 star book. Much as I remember with Kiss of Steel, this gritty, dark, and steampunk-y world is well-crafted and full of suspense and emotion. McMaster is great at writing descriptive passages that are yet also easy to follow. Despite the paranormal and fantasy elements rampant
K.
21/3/2017
On reread, I'm dropping this to 3.25 stars. I still like the world, I still like a lot of the characters. But on reread, the relationship between Will and Lena seems a lot more...possessive than it did the first time I read it. There's also some fairly dubious consent at times - he's repeatedly saying "I can't" because if they have sex, she'll become a verwulfen too (because cum will infect you. Uh. Okay) and she's pushing him anyway, and he's all "NO, REALLY, I CAN'T" and she's all "Bu
Melindeeloo
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The romance in Heart of Iron really worked for me and I liked the coarse and 'growly' Will - who tries so hard to fight his instincts and be noble with Lena.

I was initially less thrilled with Lena playing spy, but since that thread actually carries forward to take the series into a new part of the world in the next book, I was okay with it by the end of the story - even though Lena was sort of naive in working for a cause, without knowing what exactly she was working toward (especially since, ev
  • Shadowdance (Darkest London, #4)
  • Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
  • Wicked as She Wants (Blud, #2)
  • The Miss Education of Dr. Exeter (Paranormal Investigator, #3)
  • Her Sky Cowboy (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1)
  • Corroded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #3)
  • Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles, #4)
  • Touch of Steel (Clockwork Agents, #2)
Bec McMaster is the award-winning author of the London Steampunk series. A member of RWA, she writes sexy, dark paranormals, and adventurous steampunk romances, and grew up with her nose in a book. Following a life-long love affair with fantasy, she discovered romance novels as a 16 year-old, and hasn't looked back.

In 2012, Sourcebooks released her debut novel, Kiss of Steel, the first in the Lon

London Steampunk (5 books)
  • Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
  • My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3)
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • Of Silk and Steam (London Steampunk, #5)
“You've destroyed my guardian's carriage, knocked my footmen unconscious, and...hurt a man I consider a friend. Now you assume I should have some goodwill toward you remaining.” 0 likes
“I'm giving you my son and my neice. You bring then back to me or I'll mount your head on a spike, you understand?

Perfectly.”