Start by marking “Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)

Heart of Iron

(London Steampunk #2)

In Victorian London, if you’re not a blue blood of the Echelon then you’re nothing at all. The Great Houses rule the city with an iron fist, imposing their strict ‘blood taxes’ on the nation, and the Queen is merely a puppet on a string…

Lena Todd makes the perfect spy. Nobody suspects the flirtatious debutante could be a sympathizer for the humanist movement haunting Londo
Mass Market Paperback, 437 pages
Published May 7th 2013 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Iron, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
Jill
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it

When Lena Todd left Whitechapel a year ago, she wanted her independence. And to put distance between herself and Will Carver, her brother-in-law's bodyguard. As an apprentice at Mandeville's Clockwork Emporium, Lena acts as a go-between and spy for the humanists. Her ability to enter into Echelon society, allows her to gather intelligence against the ruling blue bloods.

Will Carver, infected at five years of age by the loupe virus, caged and exhibited for the next ten years, owes his lif
Lana Reads
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was good. I paused in the middle, because it dragged somewhat, but I'm glad I came back after a while.

For whatever reason, my affection for Werewulfen is greater than for vampires, and I loved almost everything about this book: the characters, their chemistry and the story behind all of it... The change and the character growth Lena went through were well done, even if Will and his back and forth made me roll my eyes for a bit there.

All in all, a lovely addition to the series, I'm already in
Birjis
I like werewolves more than vampires, their ability to shapeshift to leave it's human body and become animal with an animal soul, their imtimate connection with their soul mate, also their physical appearence, the arch of their eyebrows and claws, all of these make me swoon and imagine myself a werewolf mate. Here verwulfen doesn't shapeshift but they have huge physique. A well-written plot of Will and Lena, another two unlikely pairs set in a phenomenal worldbuilding taking us in a wonderful im ...more
Saint Monique
5 golden stars

I can't believe that Heart of Iron was actually even better than the first book. (And I loooved Kiss of Steel) I'm very much enjoying this series, like in a way that I would gladly live in that Victorian Steampunk London. Preferably with a verwulfen for my protection of course.

Will and Lena were a lovely couple. I was half in love with Will in the first book already. He was fiercely protective of the people he considered his family, and it was sad to see how he struggled with feeli
Roobie
⭐️4 stars⭐️

Maybe you're right. Maybe I am lettin' others dictate how I see meself.
But for all your brave words, so do you.

Stacey is Sassy
There's so much going on...

Like the first book in this series, I found it a bit overwhelming trying to keep up. I think it was probably even worse listening instead of reading. Lots of different characters to meet or see again, world-building and trying to picture the scenes. Saying that, I really like the fast paced, heart pounding and exciting storyline. The characters are interesting, the world building riveting and the connection between all the characters is easy to "see".

It's a bit like a
Melanie A.
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
4 STARS!
Will was the most dangerous man he'd ever met, but his protective instincts overrode his violent ones. A wolf to his core.
YAY! This PNR steampunk world Bec McMaster has created is so addictive; I'm loving it!

The story continues with Honoria's sister, Lena, and Blade's right-hand man, Will, who've been dancing around each other for the last three years.

Will, who was infected with the loupe virus as a child and spent most of his life locked in a cage, is still struggling yea
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Bec McMaster has a unique way of luring readers in. The worldbuiling is phenomenal, the kind that is only limited by the boundaries of the imagination. McMaster continues to step over that line and creates a vastly unique and utterly vivid world that transports readers into another place. Blending together steampunk elements in a traditional historical setting is the soil in which McMaster uses to grow and bloom wonderful surprises for her readers.

Not a surprise is the brooding, mysterious Will
Bj
4 "Verwolfen" Stars for the story and narration!

This is my third dalliance with steampunk romance and I'm still loving the hybrid between a historical, paranormal and a science-fiction romance in an alternate version of the 19th Century British Victorian era. Steampunk romance combines many of my favorite romance sub-genres which keeps me thoroughly entertained with both the world building and the dynamic characters. Moreover, in Heart of Iron, we get a look at a new type of paranormal being, th
Dawn
++Spoilers++ (UPDATED REVIEW IN CAPS)

My one regret is not reading this in order. I plan to go back now and read the first. (YOUN DON'T NEED TO READ THE FIRST, AND IT IS NOT AS GOOD AS THIS ONE..I'D SAY SKIP #1)

This can be a stand alone, but I felt like I missed out on alot by reading this one first. (IT IS PERFECT AS A STAND ALONE. READING THE FIRST GIVES LITTLE MORE INSIGHT)

I am so impressed with this book that I plan on reading all of the books in this series regardless of triggers. T
Mara
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk, pnr
I side with those who didn't fall hard for this book. I have loved London Steampunk 1 (to the point of actually buying it also on paper). But this sequel has nothing of the original, except the world. Which I admit is great, and the reason the book still gets 3 stars.

The main couple are a bunch of teenegers.Lena seems a spoilt brat and has the intelligence of one too. Will, well, what about him. I liked him more than her. But given I disliked her for most of the book, there's not much to this st
Caz
B+/4.5 stars Read for the May prompt "Backlist Glom" (author with more than one book in your TBR) in the 2019 TBR.

Bec McMaster has created a detailed and original world for her London Steampunk series, a steam-powered but recognisable version of Victorian London that is populated by humans, mechanoids and blue bloods and ruled over by the Echelon.  When I reviewed the first book, Kiss of Steel, I gave a brief outline of the London Steampunk world, so I won’t repeat that here; I’ll assume
Ursula
Whew! What a ride! This lady can write- and she got me hooked.

This was a great read: exciting story, fascinating world created and intriguing characters. If you like steam punk or fantasy with a solid romance thrown in, then you will enjoy this.
I have not read a lot of steam punk because the whole machine thing has never really interested me overmuch, but I have read a lot of fantasy and sci-fi so thought I would give this one a whirl after a couple of GR friends talked about this series.

It is
-ya
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-stars
I enjoyed Bec McMaster’s debut novel Kiss of Steel. Set in the rookeries of London, the author built an interesting world that captured the feel of Victorian era. In Heart of Iron, the storyline is more about the geopolitical conflict, and humanist revolution. While both MCs are likable, I find the plot of Lena’s involvement in the conflict between humanists revolution and Echelon rather weak, and some of Lena's decisions seem a bit obtuse. Will is a classic tortured hero with broken ba
alicat ♡➹♡
Wow, this book was great! Will and Lena were decent in the last book but the were both immature - I was really pleased to see this book was set three years later.

Lena was a great heroine, out to do whatever she can to help not only herself but her family and others in her restricted circumstances. She's had a huge crush on Will since she met him and hid her feelings behind silly flirtations. She lives with her half-brother (the relationship is a secret to society) and has become a spy for the hu
Lonna | FLYLēF
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-challenge
FLYLeF Book Reviews

Original Post: Heart of Iron (London Steampunk 2) at FLYLēF (www.flylef.com)

TANTALIZINGLY SEXY WITH a degree of danger, Heart of Iron (London Steampunk 2), by Bec McMaster, skillfully blends steampunk and paranormal romance into a captivating and entertaining adventure.

Helena Todd – or Lena – appears to be a flirtatious debutante mingling in London’s dangerous blue blood elite world – the Echelon. Nobody suspects her of being a sympathizer for the humanist organization determined to destroy
Fathima
Will kissed her lips lightly, chasing away the questioning tone. “You know I love you,” he said. Her body quivered against his, but he pressed a finger to her lips, stalling her. “I would die for you,” he told her. “I’d kill for you. I faced down mechanical squid, rampagin’ humanists, and lessons in etiquette for you. I danced at a ball for you.”

Bec McMaster does it again !!!

photo i_love_steampunk_by_catherinetterings-d51wuio_zps3bbfbeb8.jpg

Heart Of Iron is a perfect mix of action , romance and steampunk !!! I love the London Bec has created in this se
Dark Sith Lordette Jennymort ♔
buddy read with my babe

can't wait to get this one from the library!
 Simply Sam ツ
Well, she did it again guys. Ms. McMaster just keeps adding to the fun of her London Steampunk series. This story follows Lena and Will's "wrong side of the track" love story. You're introduced to them in Book 1, as Lena is the sister to the female protag and Will is the right-hand-manboy of the male lead. This story takes place 3 years after the first book, plenty of time for that initial interaction and attraction to simmer and brew.

Will is a gruff and surly verwulfen (view spoiler)
NiteReader
Why oh why???
I loved Blade and Honoria's story and had such high hopes for this novel. But this one was filled with too much world building and background story that Lena and Will almost became part of the scenery. Now I'm on the fence about the next book, I guess I'll wait and see the reviews.
Juliette Cross
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous addition to the London Steampunk series. Truly love this world. I plan to savor each book as I work my way through it.

Recommended to readers of the dark, gritty, and super sexy paranormal.
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Lena Todd knows she is prey in a den of predators, something that becomes more apparent the longer she moves through the Echelon's world as a debutante; however, she is also a perfect spy, what Blueblood would expect the supposedly empty headed and flirtatious Lena of working for the Humanists? But it soon it becomes hard to see who is friend and who is foe, and the only time she ever feels safe is when she is around Will Carver a Verwulfen who she has had a tendre for since first laying eyes on ...more
Susan (susayq ~)
I love Sundays. Want to know why? Cause I occasionally spend them lying in bed all day reading, not cooking or being disturbed by the kiddos. Today was one of those Sundays. And I am beyond glad it was cause I might have had to kill someone if they tried to disturb me while I was reading this book!

As I've mentioned before, the world Bec McMaster created is amazing! It's a little dark and a lot dangerous. You never know who's truly a villain or a good guy. Now, don't misunderstand, cause there a
Dina
Will Carver is my newest book boyfriend... ;)
Jude: The Epic Reader
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
ReadingRush: Read a book you meant to read last year
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted at The Book Nympho

icon AUDIOBOOK  Icon Steampunk  icon howlinggood

I highly recommend that you read the novella, TARNISHED KNIGHT before reading HEART OF IRON since there is a few chapters about Will and Lena at the end. The chapters read as a long prologue for HEART OF IRON and gives you a little insight into why Lena and Will left the Warren.

I love the heavy steampunk elements we get with HEART OF IRON. I'm still pretty new to the genre and the fantastical elements in the historical setting is like a character all its
Beth
In a world where the vampires are the ruling class (Blood Elite), life can be precarious. But being a spy for the humanist group is absolutely lethal if you make a wrong move, Lena Todd is a young debutante sitting on that razors edge. Lena is looking for her place in the world because the one place she wanted to be, with Will Carver, she felt she was rejected.

To say Will Carver’s life has been difficult would be an understatement. Turned by the Loupe virus at the age of 10, he was forced into s
Melanie
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
4-4.5 stars

Bec McMaster is the Steampunk QUEEN!
Annie ⚜️
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
So, although I’m not a big fan of the whole sexy vampire and werewolf thing, I’m enjoying this series. It’s pretty sexy and I love the steampunk world.

• Shadowdance (Darkest London, #4)
  • A Dark Heart (The Elders and Welders Chronicles #2)
  • Winterblaze (Darkest London, #3)
  • The Kraken King  (Iron Seas, #4)
  • The Golden Spider (Elemental Steampunk Chronicles, #1)
  • Moonglow (Darkest London, #2)
  • The Silver Skull (Elemental Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
  • The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1)
  • Riveted (Iron Seas, #3)
  • A Trace of Copper (Elemental Steampunk Tales, #1)
  • Thief of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #3)
  • Firelight (Darkest London, #1)
  • Evernight (Darkest London, #5)
  • Entwined (Darkest London, #3.5)
  • Heart of Steel (Iron Seas, #2)
  • Soulbound (Darkest London, #6)
  • Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
  • Forevermore (Darkest London, #7)
Kidnapped by a dread pirate when she was a child, USA Today Bestselling Author Bec McMaster was raised on myth and legend, and offered her younger siblings to the goblin king many a time. Unfortunately, he did not accept.

Now she writes epic fantasy romance with a dark and sexy twist, which is almost as much fun. She has a secret weakness for villainous heroes, wicked fae princes and dangerous vamp

London Steampunk (5 books)
  • Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
  • My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3)
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • Of Silk and Steam (London Steampunk, #5)

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...
“You've destroyed my guardian's carriage, knocked my footmen unconscious, and...hurt a man I consider a friend. Now you assume I should have some goodwill toward you remaining.” 0 likes
“You know I love you,” he said. Her body quivered against his, but he pressed a finger to her lips, stalling her. “I would die for you,” he told her. “I’d kill for you. I faced down mechanical squid, rampagin’ humanists, and lessons in etiquette for you. I danced at a ball for you.” 0 likes