Start by marking “A Captain and a Corset (Steam Guardians, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Captain and a Corset (Steam Guardians, #2)

A Captain and a Corset

(Steam Guardians #2)

There’s Trouble in the Skies…

For Sophia Stevenson, there’s no going back to the life she knew. She never asked for the powers that make her a precious commodity to the secret society of Illuminists—and their archenemies.

Captain Bion Donkova would give anything to possess the powers that have fallen in Sophia’s lap. If only the beautiful, infuriating woman could stay out of
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published June 4th 2013 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Captain and a Corset, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Captain and a Corset

Marlene
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Book Lovers Inc.

I liked A Captain and a Corset a whole lot better than the first book in the series, A Lady Can Never Be Too Curious. Admittedly, that’s a damn low bar to get over.

The characters in Captain were way more interesting than in Curious. Whatever we might think of all the Victorian rules regarding female behavior, having the heroine be a woman who believed in those rules and had been jerked out of her place against her will made Sophia Stevenson more interestin
Wendy
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm

I finished this more out of masochistic curiosity than anything else, I think. Considering the Illuminists are supposed to be forward thinking in terms of gender the heroes of both this and the previous book are very alpha, possessive men. Especially in this one, where Sophia didn't choose to enter the order, she was forced to because of circumstances in the first book. So, mocking her tendency toward Victorian society's priorities on how a woman should behave seems a little cruel. There is
Catherine
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The quote: "I promise you, Sophia, I consider you my prize and like any self-respecting private, I intend to keep you secure." - Bion Donkova

Sophia and Bion are an adorable couple, she is perfectly fiesty (as I expect from steampunk) and he is wonderfully rougish. I quite like the lore surrounding the steampunk, it's a bit different from what I've read before.
The supporting cast are individual, Decima and Lykos are charming. Jordan is perfectly unlikable.

I read this without reading A Lady Can N
Betsy
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wine has built an interesting steampunk world, and I'm sorry that the series doesn't seem to be continuing. This one had airships, pirates, Roma groups, a Russian prince, steam technology and more.
Mary
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Welp, did not like this one anymore than the first one!
Romancing the Book
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Allison
Book provided by NetGalley
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book.

Review: My first foray into Steampunk with A Captain and a Corset, and I think I’m hooked. I very much enjoyed Mary Wine’s look at life in a Steampunk world.

Sophia Stevenson was turned into a “Navigator” without even knowing what it was, or having heard of the Illuminists, when a Root Ball crystal exploded and gave her special vision. Now a Novice in the secret society, she is in training, and her trainer
Jaclyn
May 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
I really like steampunk romances, so I was really excited to give Mary Wine a try; unfortunately this one was not for me. The steampunk stuff was cool, but the romance had everything I dislike in romances and elements that you generally hear levied at romance as a genre.

A Captain and a Corset is the second in Wine’s Steam Guardian’s series. I should mention that I have not read the first in the series, so in some respects I felt a little lost. I think reading the first one would have impacted ho
Lorie
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Captain and a Corset takes place just after the end of A Lady Can Never Be Too Curious. Sophia Stevenson has been exposed to a Deep Earth Crystal Root Ball and has endowed her with the ability to see gates that will allow an airship to shortcut across the globe. This makes her a very valuable person to both the Illuminists and to the Helikeians. First she must be trained how to use her powers and is put in the hands of the very handsome though rough around the edges Bion Donkova. The attractio ...more
Katie_la_geek
Apr 14, 2013 rated it liked it
For this review and more visit my blog

I am a fan of the first book in The Steam Guardians series so I was really looking forward to reading A Captain and a Corset. For the most part I enjoyed it but in my opinion it was not on par with A Lady can Never be too Curious.

The writing was good I like Wine’s take on Steampunk for some readers who like the genre there will not be enough of the element featured here but it was just right for me as I sometimes find the genre a little overwhelming. I thou
Quiana
We’re introduced to Sophia Stevenson whose recent accident has left her with a unique ability. As a result of this ability, a secret order known as the Illuminists become interested in her. The Illuminists invite Sophia into their world and partner her with airship captain Bion Donkova. Bion is responsible for Sophia’s navigator training. From the start there’s an instant physical attraction, but other than their attraction, the two don’t get along. When Sophia is kidnapped by a member of the He ...more
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
A CAPTAIN AND A CORSET by Mary Wine is an interesting Steampunk. #2 in the "Steam Guardians",but can be read as a stand alone. See, "A Lady Can Never Be Too Curious". If you enjoy Steampunk, historical,futuristic,fast paced and passion packed,than you want to pick up "A Captain and a Corset". Follow, Sophia Stevenson and Captain Bion Donkova on a journey of not only discovery,mystery, flight,but also of love,forbidden passion, with a secret society of Illuminists and archenemies thrown in the mi ...more
Tracy Emro
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent follow up to A Lady Can Never Be a Too Curious.

I liked Sophia & Bion in the first book and enjoyed reading their story.

I thought Sophia really come into her own in this book. She stopped feeling sorry for herself, stepped out of her comfort zone and became Bion's equal. I was impressed!

And Bion, what can I say? Mary Wine really knows how to make you fall in love with her heroes!! He is smart, sexy, strong and loyal to his duty. And it doesn't hurt that he knows how to keep a girl
Nicole Laverdure
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Steampunk romance! 4 stars
I just finished reading A Captain and a Corset by Mary Wine.
This is her second book in her Steam Guardians series. I love
Steampunk romances and loved her first book "A Lady can never be too curious".
So I was excited to read this one, but I have to say that I prefered her first novel.
You either like or dislike Steampunk romances! I loved the world she created, it was different!
If you are a fan of Mary Wine, then it's a book worth giving a try! Steampunk readers will lik
Anna
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I'm not sure why, but I stopped looking for steampunk titles a while back. I assume I read a bad one, but I can't recall. This has renewed my faith in the steampunk romance. The characters were incredible and fun and well-developed. The plot was not driven sheerly by the romance. I zipped right through it in a day. This one's for anyone who enjoyed Steamed by Katie MacAlister or pretty much any well-written steampunk.
Riley
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captain and a Corset is a non-stop adventure filled with intrigue, romance, and all sorts of bad guys, heroes and, of course, heroines. I liked this even better than A Lady Can Never Be Too Curious, the first book in this series. The characters were more interesting and we learn more of the Illuminists and the Helikeians. There is more steampunk 'tech' and an new evil enemy is introduced. I'll be looking forward to the next Steam Guardians book!
Christine
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like the battle of wits between the Illuminist and the Helikeians. I also like the fact that illuminist females are on equal footing with their male counterparts though they may not always think so. I felt the book was well written as I envisioned the characters in this story. This is the second book in the series or trilogy, not sure which, and I like it enough to purchase the first book.
Anne
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2014-bir
This was just "ok." I liked the first book better. There was a lot of time where nothing was really happening, so I was skimming through to find the action. Then the set up for book 3, took a bit of a chunk. All in all, it was partly enjoyable, partly just ok.
Tina
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Paranormal steampunk regency historical fantasy. Take your pick, there are elements of each genre within this book. But the characters are likable, the plot interesting, and the overall feel of the story works although I would've preferred more steampunk and less fantasy.
Kristi
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
The second book in this series is much better than the first. I still gave it three stars, but probably would have given it 3.5 if I could have.

The heroine in this story sometimes rescues the hero, and she is bold and brave. She doesn't
Mark And Lorenda
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
A disappointing second in the series, I did not find the dynamics between the hero and heroine the least bit compelling.
Karmen
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Note to publisher: cover artwork LAME!

Story was cute trainer & trainee, steam punk milieu. But too predictable.
Alana
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
even better than the first!! a lot more action and a more concise story. can't wait for the next story. please tell me there is a next one?!
Wendy
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one much more that the first in the series! It has a great "cliff hanger" ending that makes you anxious for the next in the series as well.
Becky
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own
This was a fun book to read. I recently got into the steampunk genre and this is a great one. I liked the characters and a strong female lead. Look forward to more of her books.
Amanda
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it
But, but, but, what happens to Decima??
Elizabeth
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!!!!

I love these books! I can not seem to read them fast enough! Such an amazing series I look forward to the next book!!!
Clarke
3.2 Stars. Public Library 1/4/15. If you liked this first book you'll like this one. It keeps to the same theme.

I skimmed to the end but maybe I'll really read this later....
Ab
The story should be standalone. Yet, since the background goes back to the book 1, the author made some unfortunate choices with writing.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Apr 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Do not pick up this book if you believe your are getting a Steampunk romance. Story is already in progress at the first chapter and is very boring.
Christy English
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I will definitely be reading more steam punk... and more Mary Wine! She's so much fun:)

• The Moonstone and Miss Jones (Paranormal Investigator, #2)
  • Breath of Iron (Clockwork Agents, #3)
  • Gilded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #2)
  • Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles, #4)
  • The Clockwork Wolf (Disenchanted & Co., #2)
  • His Clockwork Canary (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #2)
  • The Curious Case Of The Clockwork Menace (London Steampunk, #3.5)
  • Gilded Lily (Steam and Seduction, #3)
  • The Damnation Affair (Bannon & Clare, #1.5)
  • How Beauty Loved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight, #3)
  • The Devious Dr. Jekyll (Electric Empire, #2)
  • A Study in Ashes (The Baskerville Affair, #3)
  • Skies of Fire (The Ether Chronicles, #1)
  • Gilded Hearts (The Shadow Guild, #1)
Mary Wine has written over twenty novels that take her readers from the pages of history to the far reaches of space. Recent winner of a 2008 EPPIE Award for erotic western romance, her book LET ME LOVE YOU was quoted “Not to be missed…” by Lora Leigh, New York Times best-selling author.

When she’s not abusing a laptop, she spends time with her sewing machines…all of them! Making historical garment

Steam Guardians (2 books)
  • A Lady Can Never Be Too Curious (Steam Guardians, #1)