Start by marking “Sophie's Squash” as Want to Read:
Sophie's Squash

Sophie's Squash

(Sophie's Squash)

On a trip to the farmers' market with her parents, Sophie chooses a squash, but instead of letting her mom cook it, she names it Bernice. From then on, Sophie brings Bernice everywhere, despite her parents' gentle warnings that Bernice will begin to rot. As winter nears, Sophie does start to notice changes.... What's a girl to do when the squash she loves is in trouble?
Published August 6th 2013 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Sophie's Squash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sophie's Squash

Start your review of Sophie's Squash
Melki
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Probably the best book ever written about friendship between a girl and a butternut squash.

description

I read it to Wilson, and he LOVED it!
description
See?
Marie
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, children-s, fall, squash
This is a beautiful children’s book about a little girl, Sophie, who chooses a squash from a farmer’s market. This squash is the perfect size to hold, to bounce on her knee, to put a face on with marker, to fall in love with. The squash begins to become freckled and less bouncy, and in an effort to heal her squash, Sophie buries it in dirt. After the snow melts, a squash plant grows and eventually Sophie has two new squash to love. The humor is subtle and enjoyable. This book is thoroughly uniqu ...more
Slytano
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is what happens when you take Wilson the volleyball from the film Cast Away and combine it with Where the Red Fern Grows.
Tim
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hey...does this star rating thing go beyond 5? It should sometimes. Like for Sohpie and her squash Bernice.

I love this! You will too. One day when Sophie and her parents go to the Farmer's market, Sophie finds a squash that is the perfect size to cuddle and hold. Her parents had been thinking to have it for dinner...but Sophie drew a face on Bernice and introduced her to Mom...Mom ordered a pizza. But having a squash baby has its hazards. I can't tell you how Sophie navigates them because that i
Chance Lee
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
This cute story of a girl who befriends a squash and just cannot let it go reminds me of the time I got really attached to a tiny loaf of bread and wanted to keep it forever.

I was 22.
Kate
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very cute children’s book about a little girl named Sophie who picks up a butternut squash at a farmer’s market and decides to create it as her own best friend / child.
Heidi-Marie
How adorable! I may have clicked with this more than another book because I used to love to do this with the groceries my mom would bring home and I would help put away. Granted, my parents would never have put up with it for as long as Sophie's did. Not even for a few minutes. So I only did it as I took the groceries down to the pantry. (And usually it was not produce that could go bad.) I love the progression of the story. And while I guessed the ending, it was still adorable and I loved it.

Th
Liz
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sophie and Bernice are best friends. Bernice goes with Sophie everywhere - to the farmer's market, to story time at the library, they even practice somersaults in the garden together. There's just one problem...Bernice is a squash. Sophie's parents tell her that squash don't last forever - eventually they'll squishy and gross. Sophie will have none of it; she believes that Bernice will always be her best pal. When Bernice starts to show signs of aging, Sophie comes up with the perfect solution!

T
Barbara
Carol
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Young children are notorious for latching on to random playthings or even having invisible friends. Their imaginations giving life to almost anything they encounter. Sophie is no exception. She decides that a squash purchased for dinner would make a better companion for herself. She gives it a face and a name, Bernice. Bernice goes everywhere with Sophie despite her parents concerns for the inevitable squishy, rotten fate of all produce. Eventually Bernice starts showing signs of her age leading ...more
Kate
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved this book when I first read it last year, but wondered how children would react to it. You know how there are those picture books that appeal much more to adults than to kids? I worried this was one of those. I got my chance to find out today during my weekly library program for kids in grades 3 through 5. Sophie's Squash is a North Carolina Children's Book Award nominee and in honor of Read Across America Day, I did my program on the nominated books, and kids voted at the end.

I chose th
Dolly
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet tale of a girl's affinity for a squash. She prefers the squash to a baby doll or other toy and carries it everywhere. I love that she even brings it to storytime at the library. The ending is very cute and our girls extrapolated that to a future of countless baby squashes.

The narrative is entertaining and fun to read aloud and the illustrations are terrific. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Tara
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is absolutely delightful. Whimsical, funny, and ultimately meaningful, it would be at home on any shelf. Hooray for Sophie and Bernice!
Nancy Kotkin
A little girl develops a dedicated attachment to a squash. Her parents try to gently steer her to a pet, toy, or another friend, but the girl is determined to remain loyal to her squash. When the inevitable happens and Bernice starts to rot, the little girl plants her in the ground. Themes of gardening, life cycle, and friendship are covered with humor and heart.
Kelly Kneisler
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cvtc-child-lit
Great book I read a few years ago for story time. Illustrations are cute and colorful. Cutest pig tails since Pippy Longstocking! Great book for story time in fall or spring. Maybe bring in a real squash to put in the middle of the table!
Chuck Knudsen
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute story about a girl and her newly adopted vegetable friend.
Viviane Elbee
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a funny and charming story about a little girl's pet squash.
My kids both enjoyed it.
Emily
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
TALENTED, BRILLIANT, INCREDIBLE, AMAZING, SHOWSTOPPING, SPECTACULAR ETC
Maddie Cole
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Toooooooo sweet! A lovely story about a girl and her best friend!
Cathy Mealey
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Big, bright orange pumpkins are definitely the vegetable celebrities on Halloween. I’d like to nominate the humble butternut to take center stage during Thanksgiving, a time for celebrating the harvest with family and friends. And there’s no better book to promote butternut devotion than the sweet, seasonal friendship story of Sophie’s Squash.

“Bernice was just the right size to love,” reads the blurb on the back cover. Chosen at the farmer’s market and destined for the dinner table, Sophie decid
Tasha
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
When Sophie and her family go to the farmer’s market, Sophie helps pick out a lovely squash. However, it is not a squash that she wants to eat! Instead she names it Bernice and takes it everywhere with her. Her parents offer to cook Bernice so that she won’t rot, but Sophie is scandalized. Soon though, Bernice is starting to show her age with “freckles” on her skin. So Sophie heads back to the farmer’s market to ask how to help Bernice not rot. The farmer suggests, “Fresh air. Good, clean dirt. ...more
Chana Stiefel
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One day, I sat down on the couch and my three-year-old daughter started to scream: “You’re sitting on Toricelli!” I jumped up. Toricelli was one of her myriad invisible friends and I almost squashed him. In “Sophie’s Squash” (Schwartz & Wade Books, 2013), a debut picture book by Pat Zietlow Miller, Sophie also has an imaginary playmate, only hers is a real vegetable. In this sweet story about love and friendship, Miller hits all the right notes: A loveable main character, patient and well-meanin ...more
Betsy
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lovely, just lovely. As always, it's best to evaluate picture books with their intended audience (note that not all picture books are for young children, but when they ARE, you should find some young children to help you evaluate whether the book "works" or not).

But I digress. Sophie's Squash totally works with kids. My veggie-loving heart loves that the little girl makes a butternut squash her new friend. And the way the author/illustrator provides for Bernice's ultimate demise is sweet but not
Holly Mueller
Awww...I'm glad I didn't miss this one. Sophie is a sensitive, vibrant little girl (the illustrations capture her essence perfectly) who decides to make a squash (yes, a squash) her best friend. Her patient parents try to help her give Bernice the squash up because it's rotting, but Sophie won't hear of it. She does, however, ask a farmer how to keep a squash healthy, so she makes Bernice a little bed under the soil. Winter comes and buries her in snow, so Sophie befriends a fish for awhile. Spr ...more
Natalie Lorenzi
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
With school starting rather soon-ish, my first thought was to recommend Sophie’s Squash to teachers, librarians and parents as a charming book for autumn. But I hesitate to limit this gem to the “books for fall” shelf. Inspired by Pat’s own squash-loving daughter, Sonia, this lovely story is really about friendship, and is a joy for all seasons.

My full review and interview with the author on how teachers and librarians can use Sophie's Squash in the classroom is here: http://bibliolinks.wordpres
Dolores
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sophie's parents buy a squash at the farmer's market for supper, but Sophie has other plans. The squash is just the right size for hugging and bouncing on her knee, so she appropriates it for her companion. "Well, we did hope she's love vegetables" Sopie's good-natured mom says. But squash are not forever, and eventually nature takes its course. The way Sophie deals with this sad event is priceless--as is the eventual outcome. For every kid who's ever ditched the present to play with the box, th ...more
Morgan
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I really liked this quirky little story (based on the author's daughter) about a girl who decides a squash from the farmer's market is the perfect doll/companion/friend. Maybe it's because I also liked to make dolls out of completely random/weird objects when I was little (potatoes, pillows, gingerbread)...that is, of course, until I would become convinced the doll(s) were possessed and eventually give them away to another poor soul so I would be spared any "Chuckie"-esque episodes of terror. As ...more
Mike
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I will start out by saying I truly hate squash (and each of its related orange squishy vegetables)---I always have and I always will. Please don't try and change my mind. With that said I really liked this story. Plus I think having a squash as a friend is much better than having squash to eat. The story is loving and tender, but just the right dash of humor to keep it from becoming sickeningly cute.

This would be a great book for preschools that are looking for a collection of books on Fall or v
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is great for any time of year. The illustrations are a nice shade for the book. They drag you into the story because you can see how much Sophie cares for Bernice (the squash). :)

The story line is cute, and the ending is just wonderful! I felt bad when Bernice started to get a bit rotten, but it all worked out. ;) I love the message of the book, that you can really love and care for anything and it will grow. My whole family enjoyed this story. :)
*NOTE* I won a copy of this b
Romelle
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A delightful story about a little girl named Sophie who takes a friend, Bernice, wherever she goes. But Bernice happens to be a squash, which makes this story even more endearing. What I love about this book is that Sophie doesn't care what others think about her squash and defends it like her very own baby/friend. Sophie's positiveness is infectious. In addition, I love that a subtle lesson about the cycle of life is intertwined into the story. Sophie's Squash is a great read! Loved it!

• Too Many Pumpkins
  • Can I Play Too? (Elephant & Piggie, #12)
  • There's a Bear on My Chair
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • Saturday
  • When Grandma Gives You a Lemon Tree
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • I Broke My Trunk! (Elephant & Piggie, #14)
  • Whoever You Are
  • Leaf Man
  • The Scarecrow
Pat Zietlow Miller knew she wanted to be a writer ever since her seventh-grade English teacher read her paper about square-dancing skirts out loud in class and said: “This is the first time anything a student has written has given me chills.” (Thanks, Mrs. Mueller! You rock!)

Pat started out as a newspaper reporter and wrote about everything from dartball and deer-hunting to diets and decoupage. Th

Sophie's Squash (2 books)
  • Sophie's Squash Go to School