Start by marking “Psychobabble: Exploding the myths of the self-help generation” as Want to Read:
Psychobabble: Exploding the myths of the self-help generation

Psychobabble: Exploding the myths of the self-help generation

Exposing the self-help myths that make us all more miserable. This is what your psychologist would really tell you–if he thought you could handle it!

This is the kick up the backside the self-help genre needs: an intelligent, provocative and thought-provoking expose of the modern myths that we’re told make us happier, but in reality screw us up.

Clinical psychologist, Dr Ste
Published September 20th 2012 by Pearson Education India (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Psychobabble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psychobabble

Start your review of Psychobabble: Exploding the myths of the self-help generation
Smerdyakov
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Points out that lots of ideas about how to live optimally are mostly opinions.. but the author often fills out the gaps with his own opinions instead of 'hard science' (which might just not exist for most things in life).
Sarrah ANJ
"ربما استطاع علم النفس تقديم 'اقتراحات' بشأن ما ينجح مع بعض الناس 'لبعض الوقت'، ولكنك أنت الخبير الوحيد بكيفية أن تكون على طبيعتك. "
23 خرافة -كما يسميها د. ستيفن برايرز- راجت وأصبح الناس يرددونها ويغلفونها بالعلمية، ولكنها في واقع الأمر تحجب عن الناس حقائق مهمة وتغفل عن أمور جوهرية، وتوجه تركيز الناس توجيها أحاديا يجعلهم يؤمنون بأن مثل هذه النصائح النفسية هي بوصلة الحياة المثالية .. فينشغلون بهذه البوصلة المزعومة وينسون أن يبصروا الطريق أمامهم أو يمتحنوا البوصلة الفطرية في داخلهم !
Faisal Nasser
تذكير ليس تقييم 🚫
" ‏‎من اروع كتب الحديث النفسي
انصح اللي يفكر كثير ويخاف من الاسترسال في الحديث مع اشخاص او في مجلس يقرأه مفيد جداً "
Noer
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This book contains one clinical psychologist's perspective on 23 pervasive self-help sayings. For those who easily get hypnotized by the big promises the self-help genre makes, as I was, this book gives a more sobering approach to what we can really do to improve our lives. Through some scientific evidence, but mostly opinions, Briers makes compelling cases that show another side that I hadn't thought of myself.

For the cases of some of these 'myths', such as MYTH 13 (You'd better get yourself s
Jessica Salazar
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Offered new self-help after debunking the old - I wasn't sure whether to just blindly take this advice or see it as just as flawed as the old stuff - but it was a fascinating insight into how complicated our minds really are, and how ridiculously over-simplified the self-help industry has become. It helped me in a lot of ways I didn't expect: forge your own way, make mistakes, don't dwell on failures too much and good can become bad in excess. But obviously that's oversimplified...
Kenny King
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ironically, a book dismissing the myths of the self help industry that is probably the only self help book you need.
Phuc
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
#MYTH 7: WE NEED TO TALK

This one troubles me. And I'm not going to find out my answer any time soon, so let's wait and see.

#MYTH 11: YOUR INNER CHILD NEEDS A HUG

It seems to me that this inner child thing is actually a way to say that you need to modify unhelpful beliefs that you acquired during your early years of life, or deal with unresolved problems from those years, which still affect your life today. It's just a different way to say solve your problems!

#MYTH 13: YOU'D BETTER GET YOURSELF SO
Nicholas Acosta
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I understood a lot of this book and what it offers. While there is not a lot of scientific evidence to support Brier's claims, at least there is enough, at least in my opinion, scientific evidence being used and not the word of a big shot "self-help guru" who expects us to take his/her word for it. This book shows us that in life there are no shortcuts, not everything is sunshine and rainbows (perky is annoying as f*** anyway), and that even as a work in progress, you are where you need to be re ...more
Chris Harris
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've believed for a long time that the self-help industry, like its close relative the business improvement industry, is largely ineffective and at worst, parasitic. It's refreshing and ironic to discover a self-help book that agrees with this view. But putting confirmation bias aside for a moment, there's a lot of reasoned argument in here for viewing all those "you can be a better person!" accounts with a jaundiced eye. It's an entertaining read, although the cultural references to such things ...more
Raluca
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Very enjoyable read. I was already familiar with most of the counter arguments, but it was good to get a reminder.

I would recommend this to so many people... But I bet few will change their minds, because the allure of self-help, with its easy and straight forward solutions, offers a hard to give up on comfort.

Too bad life is not easy or straight forward.
Konstantin Yegupov
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The premise of book is shooting down various ideas and teaching in applied psychology. Well, criticising is a cheap entertainment, but at least this book is reasonably scientific. Don't expect to find answers here though, it's all about multiplying your questions.
Jane
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Dr Stephen Briers is a British clinical psychologist who has taken a good long hard look at the self help industry and blown it apart. His argument is that the various self help philosophies are making us anxious. Anxious that how we are now is just not good enough, that we should be striving for perfection, that if we just visualise things hard enough we can all be rich and famous and that we all have needs that 'need' to be met by our partners. Not only are these self help myths making us anxi ...more
Julio Loo
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
The self-help industry is a big business. This industry is exploitive, it usually overpromise and under deliver. The author does a good job debunking the myths of this industry.

We've all hear some stories about cancer patients who, by visualizing imploding malignant cells, find themselves tumor-free. However, according to studies, psychotherapy and meditation don't affect the disease progression or survival rates. Studies show that a patient's chances of recovery are completely unaffected by th
Alhakkii
أحتارُ في تقييم الكتاب لبعض الرتابة في أسلوبه ، لكنه في النهاية كتاب جريء يعدد ألمع العناوين التي تتناولها كتب تنمية الذات و يدحضها و يبيّن زيفها.. و هذا ما أسعدني حقاً و جعلني أعيد التأمل في كل مصيدة وقعنا فيها سواءً في كتب أو دورات أو حتى معلومات متداولة حول الذات و أسرارها و أساليب تنميتها و العلاقة مع الآخر.

الفكرة الأوضح التي وصلتني من خلال هذه المقالات هي أنَّ كتب الذات تُضخّم الآمال و تزين المستقبل و تزركشه أمام هذا الطالب و المحتاج إلى إرشاد و مساعدة .. و النتيجة ما هي ؟ الواقع أصعب و ال
Anna-Klara Aronsson
Snabbläst inför eventuellt bokprat. Jag har läst den tidigare. Briers tar en massa populärpsykologiska sanningar och motbevisar dom. Jag är inte särskilt bra på källlkritik så jag vet inte om han har rätt, men boken ger mycket att fundera på. Liksom Sven Brinkmans bok Stå Fast är detta en anti självhjälpsböcker, som dock trillar dit och blir just det. Problemet med Briers är kanske att han tar bort en massa illusioner, eller kanske är det bra. Men jag som läsare lämnas i sticket, vad ska jag gör ...more
Jalees Org
اجتمع نادي أعماق على مناقشة كتاب " ثرثرة نفسية" "نسف خرافات جيل المساعدة الذاتيه "
الكتاب يتطرق للشعارات والمقولات التي تغرسها وتروجها أدبيات وورش ومؤلفات مساعدة الذات
ويعطي للقارئ وقفة للتفكير ومراجعة ما يملى عليه
وأن بعضها يسبب لنا المزيد من الضغوط والأعباء بعكس ما يتهيأ لنا
وأن الحقائق الراسخة في مجال مساعدة الذات لا تقوم على دراسات وركائز علمية
الكتاب أثار نقاشا مثيرا بين أعضاء النادي وكانت لهن بعض الملاحظات على اجزاء من الكتاب وبالتناقش تبينت وجهات النظر بشكل أكبر ...
Jimmy Jonecrantz
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A provoking and reassuring read at the same time. Far from perfect, I'm not even sure the point he is trying to make in some chapters actually gets through. Still, it is an interesting book to get back to when someone promise you shortcuts to understanding yourself or others.
A T H E E R
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب جميل يطرح بعضًا من مقتطفات الكتب المساعدة التي توهم البشر بسهولة حصولهم على كل شيء حيث يكتب الكاتب رأيه الشخصي بعد كل فقرة مؤكدًا على أننا بشر ولا ينبغي أن نسلّم لكل ما يُقال وأن نقتنع أن حياتنا ليس بالضرورة أن تكون مثالية ولن تكون كذلك لكي نعيش حياة سعيدة.
Shu Kai
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really an Eye-opener and makes you think. AWESOMEEEEEEE
But not really like fun unless u like psychology la.
But if you like psych you will love this book!!!!
Alkhawlah
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب ينظر لتطوير الذات من زاوية جديدة، يميل للواقعية ويبتعد عن المثالية، أنصح بقراءته...
Karolina
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Very liberating
Ida
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Entertaining and quick read. It hardly "explodes" anything, and some of the chapters are slightly contradicting. I enjoyed the chapter on the "know yourself" myth.
Aabha sharma
rated it did not like it
Oct 15, 2015
Apr 08, 2015
Rahim
Aug 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• How to Live: A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at An Answer
  • How to Be a Stoic: Using Ancient Philosophy to Live a Modern Life
  • The Crusades Through Arab Eyes
  • La liste de mes envies
  • سكينة الروح : صفاء العيش في حُلوِ الأيامِ ومُرِّهَا
  • Ten Myths about Israel
  • The Art of Always Being Right
  • رجل المستحيل: المجموعة الكاملة - الجزء الأول
  • Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • 40 أربعون
  • Unnatural Causes: The Life and Many Deaths of Britain's Top Forensic Pathologists
  • Happycratie - Comment l'industrie du bonheur a pris le contrôle de nos vies