Start by marking “Cerebro” as Want to Read:
Cerebro

Cerebro

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  6,660 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
Both of them suspected that something was wrong--terribly wrong--in the great medical research center where they worked. Both of them wondered why a beautiful young woman had died on the operating table and her brain secretly removed. Both of them found it impossible to explain the rash of female patients exhibiting bizarre mental breakdowns and shocking behavior. Both of ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1981)

Ryan Lieske
Ridiculous and fun. I wish all of Cook's novels were this whacked out and macabre. It's no "Coma", but it has the same outlandish thrills as "Mindbend" and "Shock", which is fine by me. I don't expect great literature from Dr. Cook; hell, I don't even expect great storytelling. But "Brain" has just the right amount of B-movie silliness to keep the pages turning. And, since the book was released in the early 80s, a lot of it is hilariously outdated (which, obviously, adds to the fun).
Melina
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story starts with a girl Kathereine Collins going to a GYN clinic where she undergoes treatment for some Gynac ailments. She has starts having seizures where she smells a repulsive but familiar odor and then loses consciousness. As the book goes on it tells about other young women around the same age with the exact same symptoms. The story's main character is Dr. Martin Phillips, a doctor in neurophysiology at a New York City hospital. He is working on a self-diagnostic x-ray machine along ...more
Saara
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends of (medical) thrillers
Let me begin by stating that I did enjoy this book significantly. I for some reason had a preconceived notion that the story would be much trashier than it turned out to be, which might have influenced my opinion in a positive way; I was pleasantly surprised, ergo inclined toward a kinder review. My grievances are, in the end, minor ones, even though they did affect my reading experiences negatively.

Brain takes place over three days in the life of Dr. Martin Philips, a radiologist who has fared
Jeremy
Aug 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brain was entertaining, intelligent and completely ridiculous in equal measures. I admit I enjoyed it, despite never buying the premise for a single moment. Cook has a talent and it's for telling a good yarn that keeps the pace going. It's not so much that he's believable or a good writer (although I've read worse working in the thriller genre). Also, I think I understand TeeVee shows like House a little better having read this.
Gerard
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A shocking medical thriller!
Amal_zameli
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
L'année 2018 s'annonce bien ! Le livre "vertiges" de Robin Cook m'a tenu vraiment à cœur et les événements atroces que le chercheur Martin Phillips a vécus m'ont concerné particulièrement, puisque j'ai étudié les sciences expérimentales et je vise une carrière de chercheur en biologie. Ce livre témoigne la transformation du progrès scientifique en une arme redoutable qui menace la vie humaine, dévoilant le visage terrifiant que la recherche scientifique (incontrôlée par les morales) pourrait avo ...more
Ежко Таралежко
Неочаквано за мен много слаб роман на Робин Кук. Може би не е имал вдъхновение. Може би е бил на слаби наркотици. Може би се е олял в стремежите си да създаде елегия против аморалните способи във фармацевтиката и медицината, и вечното си оплюване на системата за здравеопазване в САЩ (а какво ли би казал за нашата?). Не знам. Романът е скучен, муден, липсва му заряд и всичко което се случва, се случва в около двадесет страници към края на книгата - останалото са нравоучителни философии и необясни ...more
Vandan Revanur
A novel that is well paced , talks about the incredible powers the brain harnesses. A peek into the futuristic synergy of the biological brain and the computers. An impending biologically cybernetic future. Does definitely involve a lot of Medical terms and literature. Definitely requires a medical dictionary or Google at disposal. The end is quite predictable. A satisfactory read.
Debbie Bradford
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may have been outrageous as some people have suggested but the prologue in the end bothered me. It certainly makes one think and wonder about human experimentation and exploitation. Truly was a good read with the afterthoughts compelling.
Sherri Losee
May 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stilted narrative, sterotypical characters . . . Stick with medicine, Dr. Cook.
Wendy Gamble
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely enjoyable. Real-life technology now approaches the results in the novel, but it’s possible that mutilated bodies would be cheaper than expensive cameras, lasers, programming and such.
The characters in Brain were very appealing. I don’t mean I’d personally want to meet all of them, but Mannerhiem added a lot of drama, Phillips was a wonderfully imperfect hero. I can’t help but wonder, though, if the more people read about a divorce making people happy the more it will happen. I’m not s
Chaitalee Ghosalkar
Some books are so bad that they don't deserve the time one takes to write their reviews. Brain easily falls into this category.

Several young women show atypical Pap smear results, only to experience seizures that eventually cause death/disappearance. On a parallel path, Martin Philips, the protagonist who is the Assistant director of Neuroradiology is developing an X-Ray reader that eliminates the need of humans to read them. While this is interesting, the execution fails badly.

In an attempt to
Vanessa Benavides
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Genial.... he de decir que para mi es un 4.5, al final le hizo falta un poco mas... pero aun así, me pareció un excelente libro, corto y fácil de leer.
La problemática ética en el ambiente medico científico que enmascara el libro es interesante si se investiga realmente toda la evolución que ha tenido la ciencia medica a costa de varios experimentos en los cuales han sido sacrificados no solo animales si no seres humanos.
Monica
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I had saved this book from my days of high school reading and finally returned to it. It was still decent almost 20 years later.

The characters were engaging and overall likeable. I was foreshadowing in my brain what was going to happen through the book and I was only a little off. The relationship between the male and female in this book was a bit of a stretch but it was cute.

I look forward to reading more from Robin Cook.
Jenny Kay
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book in spite of myself.

It started rough, and I was really worried about where it was all going with the whole gynecological element, given the b-movie flavour of this story, but yeah; I kept coming back to it, despite everything. It's definitely a product of its time, occasionally laughably so, and the David Cronenberg-level of body horror was . . . gothic in its total gross-outedness, but somehow it was a compelling read, especially with the endnotes.
Market
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Příběh je velmi zajímavý, ale místy je obtížné se knihou prokousat. Autor používá hodně odborných spojení, což chápu, že ke knížce z nemocničního prostředí patří. Závěr mě dostal do kolen a čekala jsem opravdu všechno, kromě toho, jak kniha doopravdy skončila. Mozek rozhodně nebyl poslední knížkou, kterou se chystám od Cooka přečíst.
Jodi
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Medical Thriller Fans
Enjoyable read about a diabolical medical scheme! I didn't expect the "bad guy" to be who it ended up being in the book! Not my favorite by Robin Cook and so I only gave it three stars but still a decent read.
Harish
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A horrific reality...
Allison Ann
Dated and sexist, but a good story.
Kristin
Needed an escapist book and have liked Robin Cook in the past. This wasn't the worst book but a bit disappointing....but I did want to keep going to see how it ended.
barry d giroux
Not the best Cook-but still enjoyable. Some of the conspiracy points were a little unbelievable
Medha
Jun 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I still have no idea what the plot was about.. If someone has read this book, please enlighten me.
Michele
I would have preferred more suspense and action. The idea, or plot, for what the doctors and FBI was trying to do wasn't clear enough until the end of story.
আহসানুল হক শোভন
রবিন কুকের আরও একটি মেডিকযাল থরিলার। গলপের নায়ক মারটিন ফিলিপস একজন ডাকতার। অপারেশন টেবিলে মারা যাওয়া একজন অলপ বয়সী তরুনীর খুলির ভেতর থেকে মসতিষক গায়েব হয়ে যাওয়া নিয়ে বইটির কাহিনী গড়ে ওঠে। পুরো বইটি জুড়ে অসংখয মেডিকযাল টারমস, ঔষধপতরের নাম আর ডাকতারি কথাবারতা পড়ে আমার যা মনে হয়েছে, তা হলো- এই বইটি শুধুমাতর ডাকতার আর মেডিকযাল সটুডেনটদেরই পড়া উচিৎ। সরবসাধারণের বোধগময ভাষায় বইটি লেখা হয়নি!

রবিন কুকের এই বইটিও অনুবাদ করেছেন পরিনস আশরাফ। এটার অনুবাদ কোমার চাইতেও ভয়াবহ। ভাষার দূরবোধযতার কারণে আমি পাতার প
Elusive
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
In ‘Brain’, an ambitious doctor Martin Phillips gradually realizes that something sinister is happening at the hospital while he’s working on a project with a friend. Several girls visit the gynaecology clinic and begin experiencing the same symptoms shortly after, leading to unexplained disappearances.

I don’t usually actively search for books featuring heavy medical content but the storyline for ‘Brain’ was way too irresistible for me to pass up the opportunity to read it. Suffice to say, I wa
D.K. Cherian
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too often we have come across news articles where humans have been exploited knowingly or unknowingly, in the name of scientific research. Robin Cook tackles this very issue in his novel, Brain.
A series of mysteriously deaths have occurred amongst young females and the only common factor seems to be that they have all had atypical pap smear results. Through chance, a radiologist stumbles upon one of the victims through her X-Ray, with the problem in the brain being highlighted by a new computer
João Lobato
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lloyd
Oct 31, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1970s, robin-cook
Robin Cook returns to the medical thriller format in his fourth outing, "Brain".

When Dr. Martin Phillips notices some strange goings-on around the New York hospital he works in, he begins to look into it. When researching a young lady who died unexpectedly during surgery, he discovers that her brain has been removed. And that's only scratching the surface...

While I enoyed this book for periods of thrilling action sequences, strange discoveries, and the conspiracy element that emerges in the plot
octacore
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cartea merita citita din mai multe puncte de vedere. Inafara scenariului senzational (anticipat), cartea are meritul de a descrie anumite proceduri medicale cu lux de amanunte, vazute din perspectiva pacientului si a senzatiilor acestuia, fapt care este cutremurator. Exceptand partea de inceput a cartii in care cititorului i se prezinta o multime de personaje, dintre care unele apar doar meteoric, in scurt timp, actiunea prinde fluiditate si cartea devine o lectura antrenanta. Lucrurile marunte ...more
Brainfire - An Amazing Brain Boosting supplement 1 2 Jul 06, 2015 10:31PM
  • Critical Judgment
  • Brain Child
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar #1)
  • Cold Plague
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine, biotechnology, and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who created the medical-thriller genre by combining medical writing with the thri
More about Robin Cook

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Bachelor Girl
  • The Wednesday Sisters
    $11.99 $1.99
“Medical school had been a time for imaginary diseases and Martin had contracted almost all of them.” 33 likes
“Nothing great in the world has been accomplished without passion,’ ” 4 likes