Jump to ratings and reviews

Psychedelics: The Uses and Implications of Hallucinogenic Drugs

This book is a broad and serious inquiry into this much-discussed topic. It will enlighten and surprise the uninitiated, as well as the frequent user. It includes first-hand reports of the nature of the experience; recent scientific theories; the use of psychedelics in primitive and non-western cultures; and the sociology of drugs in our own society. There are also sections on the potential creative uses of psychedelics, from the enhancement of religious experience to the treatment of alcoholics and the design of mental hospitals. The contributors include noted scientists, psychologists, sociologists , and religious leaders. All of the help to throw some light on a subject which, in spite of the interest it generates, has produced a great deal of mis-information. Government restrictions have in fact brought the progress of much-needed research almost ot a hald. Psychedelics is a plea for--and an invitation to--enlightenment.

520 pages, Mass Market Paperback

First published January 1, 1970

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews
Profile Image for Maureen.
726 reviews85 followers
August 11, 2008
College students in the late sixties and seventies were practically issued this book along with their student IDs. It is a reference work on psychedelic drugs. A number of authors contributed short articles, including Alan Watts' classic, "Psychedelics and Religious Experience." The bibliography is quite extensive. All in all, this tome is an even-handed overview of the research into psychedelics for its time.
Profile Image for Jenna Moore.
5 reviews
May 25, 2021
With the uprising psychedelic research regarding mental health illnesses, I read this book hoping to educate myself a little more around the substances.... it did much more than that! I was hooked as if I was reading a thriller, very interesting, I will definitely be reading again!
Profile Image for M. Ainomugisha.
152 reviews38 followers
October 7, 2019
Long & clearly designed for classroom study but an interesting read nonetheless.
Would recommend to those willing to take on the reader process on an individual level.
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.