Start by marking “Matilda's Cat” as Want to Read:
Matilda's Cat

Matilda's Cat

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  744 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
This delightful picture book with Emily Gravett’s signature twist ending sweetly depicts the relationship between a child and her beloved pet.

Matilda is desperate to figure out what her cat will enjoy. She tries everything she can think of: climbing trees, playing with wool, even tea parties and dress-up games, but as Matilda gets more and more creative in her entertainmen
Published August 1st 2012 by MacMillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Matilda's Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matilda's Cat

Kaethe
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
June 20, 2014

Matilda's cat doesn't like many things that Matilda would expect it to. But that's okay, because Matilda's cat like her.

The child and the cat are just fabulous. I especially love how Matilda recalls Max in his wolf suit. Brilliant.

Library copy

***

It's weird to me to look at previous dates read and see, for example, that I have only ever read this book in June and July. Why would that be?
babyhippoface
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Matilda's cat likes playing with wool. (Not really. He's afraid of that ball of fuzz.)
Matilda's cat likes boxes. (Not really. He's afraid of boxes, too.)
Matilda's cat likes riding bikes. (Not really. You guessed it.)

I'll tell you what Matilda's cat does like: Matilda. (Without the costumes and noises and rambunctious play, of course.)

Gravett gives this cat some great expressions (mostly of horror at Matilda's ideas of "fun") and its personality comes through loud and clear. Any little cat lover
Becky
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: Matilda's cat likes playing with wool, playing with wool, boxes, playing with wool, boxes and riding bikes!

Premise/plot: In this delightful picture book readers meet Matilda and her cat. Matilda, the heroine, is dressed as a cat. She is trying to play WITH her cat. She's brainstorming constantly. What should we do now? How can we have fun together? How about this? How about that? The truth is most of what Matilda tries to get her cat to do, most of what Matilda says her cat like
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
I'm an Emily Gravett fan, so, I loved this. I will admit that this isn't as much fun as Wolves which is my favorite book by her. This one is more silly, gentle and sweet-tempered. It's about a little girl and her cat and the activities she tries to get her cat to do. The cat in question looks a bit scruffy, like it might be an older cat. I can feel a bit of empathy for Matilda's cat as it reminds me very much of my own cats. My cats were already 9 years old when my daughter was born and they hav ...more
Heidi-Marie
I think I could make this work in a storytime. I might have to explain what a strikethrough is. For those who like pets, I think they would enjoy this.

9/14/16 & 9/15/16 Used as opener in toddler kitty theme. Not bad. I kind of had to explain what the cat was thinking or feeling and then had them imitate that. The first day did well with that, the second day not so much. Had them try striking through. Meh on both days. But both days liked the ending, so...success? Still trying to re-learn tod
L
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Such a sweet story with great detail in the illustrations. Matilda, dressed up as her cat, tries many different activities with her cat but none are to his liking. Nonetheless, the cat goes along because he likes... MATILDA. Adorably sweet, right? The detail in the drawings would make great reading discussion: little cats are strewn throughout many of the pictures. Also, on the "drawing" page, Matilda's pictures feature the earlier activities of her and cat.
Jenny
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Matilda, dressed as a cat, keeps trying to entice her cat to participate in activities. Matilda's cat likes playing with wool, boxes and riding bikes. Basically, her cat doesn't like any of the activities Matilda likes. The book is humorous and the illustrations are full of character and emotion and pair perfectly with the text...and in the end, the warm relationship between cat and owner is demonstrated.
Joanne G.
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Matilda adores her cat and tries to engage him in all sorts of activities. She can't figure out what her cat loves until she realizes her cat loves just being with her.

Adorable illustrations and an engaging story finish with Matilda snuggling in bed with her beloved feline. Cat lovers are sure to enjoy Matilda's antics.

(Note: I realize I'm reading children's books in a mad dash to reach my Goodreads' annual reading goal. Don't judge me! :D)
Katy
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
SO STINKING CUTE. Matilda goes through a diverse list of activities, none of which her cat likes. The ending makes this story so I won't spoil it.

Matilda's cat costume, reminiscent of Max from Wild Things, is adorable and showcases their close friendship. The cat's reactions to Matilda's activities are funny, perfectly illustrated, and typical of a cat. A perfect read aloud but it requires the audience's attention.
Beth
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Emily Gravett is becoming one of my favorite picture book author/illustrators. Her work is so witty and fun. While I hugely favor dogs over cats, this book made me smile as Matilda's cat reminded me a great deal of my skittish pug Guenter. :)
Edward Sullivan
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Another wonderful, playful story perfect for younger children from Emily Gravett, this one about a little girl and her cat.
Michelle Gray
I am pretty sure this is how my cat feels about me. He may not like all the things I want to do, but he does love me and he loves snuggling at bedtime. :)
Thabata
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
To melt any cat lover no matter what age, this book is a delicious treat! The illustrations are the cutest thing ever and the color palette such a beauty! It is a small book to bring a smile to the reader right from the get go, for the cover is the very representation of the whole book. Lovely, lovely, lovely.
Henna
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great book expressing the relationship between a child and it's pet. Matilda tries anything and everything to entertain her cat her cat doesn't seem to impressed. Will Matilda figure out how to impress her cat?
Kris Dersch
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidslit, picture-book
How does Emily Gravett do it? There's really not much to this delightful little book...Matilda's cat doesn't *really* like anything Matilda does but she loves Matilda...and yet there is just so much sweetness and delightfulness here. Beauty in the simplicity.
Amy Lafleur
Matilda's cat "likes"... the activities that Matilda likes to try to play with her. Illustrations and story are funny in this adorable book.
Jenna Mills
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
Quite sweet
Chris
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was really cute and very cat like.
Jo Oehrlein
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Matilda dresses up as her cat and tries to play with her cat. Unfortunately, the cat is weirded out about the whole thing. Matilda's cat just wants to be with Matilda.
Kelly
Matilda's cat loves to do all kinds of things...or does he?
Halida
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Matilda's Cat is simple, unpretentious, and amusing. Both the text and the illustration is too adorable. This is easily one of my favorite feel good children's books.
Ruth Ann
Matilda and her cat are trying to find out what they have in common. Yikes! Matilda has a lot of ideas.

Sparse text and cute illustrations. Be sure to watch the cat's expressions.
Byron Bibliotherapy
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great fun with illustrations that subvert the text.
Mehsi
This was a super adorable book about a girl and her cat.

It was really cute to see Matilda do all kinds of things while her cat either shook in fear, wasn't interested or just walked away or did other stuff, but in the end there is one thing that the cat loved to do and that just had me go awwwwwwwwww. I didn't really expect a good ending with the cat not wanting to do anything. And yes, I know cats, they do whatever the heck they want and whenever the heck they want, but I had hoped that this k
Tasha
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Matilda thinks her cat loves to do a lot of things. But really, it’s Matilda who loves playing with wool, climbing in boxes, and riding bikes. All of those things scare her cat. It’s Matilda who loves tea parties, hats, and swords. She loves drawing pictures, climbing trees and reading bedtime stories. And she does it all dressed in her cat costume. At the end of the book, Matilda has crossed off all of the things she likes because her cat doesn’t like them and made a huge list of everything her ...more
Penny Cline
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I came across this one when looking for something else and just had to order a copy. It may have been the pointy ears on Matilda's onesie that did it - so reminiscent of Max's in Where the Wild Things Are, or perhaps it was the deceptively simple sweetness of Matilda's face and the complicity between the child and her unusual looking cat.

I often buy a book simply for the cover, but was delighted to discover that the pages between the front and back of this one were not only utterly enchanting b
Barbara
Although Matilda clearly loves her cat, the things she thinks the feline will enjoy doing are not to the cat's liking. The cat does not like playing with wool, fighting with foes or even climbing trees, all activities that Matilda enjoys. But there is one thing that this cat loves--Matilda! Anyone who has spent much time with a cat will relate to this splendidly imaginative book. The author's simple text and illustrations, created with oil-based pencil, watercolor, and colored pencils, show the ...more
Vivek Tejuja
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was introduced to Emily Gravett’s books by a dear friend and since then I have not stopped reading them. I know I am not a child, but who said children’s books are meant just for children? Picture books are in fact I think meant more for adults who want to escape the drudgery of daily living and hide in a book or a couple of books that make them smile and grin at the end of it all.

Children’s books are therapeutic at best and that is why I love them so much. “Matilda’s Cat” by Emily Gravett is
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pets, picture-book, cats
Matilda is sure her cat likes many things. Like playing with wool; however, clever readers will be able to guess that Matilda’s interpretations of what her cat likes isn’t quite accurate. Upon turning the page Matilda discovers what the readers already guessed…that perhaps Matilda’s cat doesn’t like “playing with wool.” Instead Matilda tells us another thing that her cat likes. And so on until we discover the one thing that Matilda’s cat really does enjoy.

This is quite a fun little book that wil
Hannah
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Matilda, who appears throughout the book dressed in a stripy cat costume, spends all day trying to find something her cat likes to do. The text is repetitive, listing the things that Matilda’s cat ‘likes’ to do, and therefore simple and easy for children to be able to repeat.
The amusing images convey an additional story to the text, revealing that in fact Matilda’s dislikes all of the typical cat-like activities, playing with wool, climbing trees and hiding in boxes. The expressive illustrations
  • How to Hide a Lion
  • Friends
  • Mister Bud Wears the Cone
  • Is There a Dog in This Book?
  • Here Comes the Easter Cat
  • Peggy
  • Oliver
  • Cat Nap
  • Oh No, George!
Emily Gravett is twice winner of the prestigious Kate Greenaway Medal and the Nestlé Children's Book Prize Bronze Award for WOLVES and LITTLE MOUSE'S BIG BOOK OF FEARS. An author/illustrator of unique talent and tremendous skill, she has a host of critically acclaimed books to her name, including BLUE CHAMELEON, WOLF WON'T BITE! and AGAIN! Emily lives in Brighton with her partner and their daughte ...more
More about Emily Gravett