Start by marking “The Very Best of the Common Man” as Want to Read:
The Very Best of the Common Man

The Very Best of the Common Man

The Very Best Of The Common Man is a tribute to one of India's best-loved cartoonists, R. K. Laxman. It presents a collection of some of Laxman's cartoons based on The Common Man, a character that appeared in Laxman's daily cartoon strip (titled You Said It) for the Times of India publication.

The Common Man, an average man representing the hopes and fears of the masses in
Published May 1st 2012 by Penguin India

To ask other readers questions about The Very Best of the Common Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Best of the Common Man

Start your review of The Very Best of the Common Man
Sr3yas
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I never had the privilege of reading the daily political cartoons of the excellent R K Laxman when I was a kid, simply because my family never subscribed to Times of India newspaper which published Laxman's cartoons, and that delayed my introduction to his Common Man. I still remember my first Common man: A simple penciled cartoon of a family staring blankly at an empty wall, with the caption running along the lines "The television is in the repair shop, and the family just don't know what else ...more
Ashok Krishna
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Politics!

Said to be the second oldest profession in the world, bearing a close resemblance to the first, politics has always been subjected to searing scrutiny and bitter ridicule. Especially in a highly populated country like India, politicians have been offering a lot of free ‘entertainment’ to the public, next only to cinema and cricket. Stupid statements, senseless actions, scams, and scandals – you ask for it and the Indian politicians only feel obliged to deliver it for your ‘pleasure’.

Car
Ian Laird
Minor edits 18 October 2020.

Offhand I can think of few brothers as extraordinarily successful in their fields, and certainly as widely admired, as RK Narayan and his younger sibling RK Laxman.

Perhaps the Attenboroughs come close, David and Richard. Or in earlier times, Lawrence and Gerald Durrell.

The beloved Indian author, RK Narayan, had many of his works illustrated by his cartoonist brother, RK Laxman, to great effect, witness the Indian Thought edition of RKN's memoir My Days.

This 2012 Peng
Apratim Mukherjee
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book in Delhi airport to kill time and completed it in one hour. This is a selection of great works of noted political cartoonists(politoonists) Late R.K.Laxman.I must confess I am a fan of his work and his cartoons were the first thing I read in the Times of India.
Coming back to the book,its left leaning but is awesome .The main targets are politicians,bureaucracy and education system and are relevant even today.Its a book for all readers.
Since,I don't think I have it in me to
Dharshani
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For those who have missed the best capture of political atrocities on the daily, this is simply the best. All of the cartoons are timeless and can be related till date.
Darshana Unnikrishnan
this was my first read of a cartoonist's book. it was a wonderful experience. the cartoons were so specific and natural that it strikes a chord with the reader. the cartoons were based on the common problems we face living in a developing country like India. this was beautifully captured with the image of the common man in the background of every drawing. ...more
Rajat TWIT
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The best cartoonist of our country, best of his work and then this comes, the very best of the best cartoonist. How can one rate it less than the best of the rating!
Pure humor, amazing creativity and wonderful satire! Need one have to say more?
Karthik
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting book of the best cartoons by R.K.Laxman for the everyday newspaper. They make fun of various things that happens in politics, the economy, etc and at the same time make you think about what is wrong with them.
Rakanjana Sen
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
its laxman. its cartoon. it cannot be anything else but pure art n humor!a collectible
Ankur Vohra
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The evergreen classic Laxman. The beauty of his work is that he can bring out the complexities and the satire in our everyday life so vividly by use of a single picture. A great artist and a political commentator- His work from even 50 years back is still relevant & fresh in today's India. Loved it. ...more
Deepak Sethi
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dates on which the cartoons were originally Published, if provided would have made reading experience much better.
Ganesh Sanal
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, india, funny
A very quick read that can be read end to end over a cup of coffee. Still, that short time was enough for the common man to teach me a lot more about India than some history books ever could.
Anuj
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hand-picked creations of R.K. Laxman
Ravi
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very Creative. still relevant .. and very funny.
Pallavi
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Very funny collection of RK Laxman's cartoon .. ...more
Sanjana Dey
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best illustrative books I have ever come across.
Saubhik Sarkar
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What's fun is that the strips are very much relatable to today's scenario. ...more
Debanjan Nandy
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all R.K Laxman fan.
Ramesh kumar
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a masterpiece from a master cartoonist,R K Laxman. These.These cartoons make you cry, laugh and above all,see the irony of common man's life.The villains as projected by Laxman are rising costs,inflation,poor managerial practices,poverty,long pending political issues,unscrupulous politicians and above all, most important, wrong priorities assigned in life by persons, politicians and everyone.
Published by Penguins in 2012,it has been hailed by TIME magazine "..What's common about th
Nadeem Akhtar
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it

This books is collection of all the common man cartoons :) it reminds you of each of those mornings when you use to turn the pages to find a corner by RK Lakshman .. And which use to bring a smile on those faces with a cartoons of suffering common man ... Its a collection .. And must to have one
Sagnick
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
the humorous collection of cartoon sketches featuring the ever present 'common man' and focusing on the great many problems and situations faced by the average Indian and most of which are highly relevant even today.. a good read.. ...more
Vamsee Krishna
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book for its humorously subtle observations in a common man's life. One could relate to almost every aspect in the book. Its also a reminder of how politics,religion and society have changed so little since they were observed by the great cartoonist!!! ...more
Vaishnavi
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, owned-books
Mind blowing. And just as applicable today as it was a decade or more back. R K Laxman was a genius. And I am a nobody to have any sorts of rights to review it or comment on it. Hence I wont even try.
Ashish Kumar
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent caricatures! Loved this book :)
Videet Acharya
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Very Best of R K Laxman. Awesome book nice humour. Political satire at its best.
Aseem
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Can summarize in one word..timeless!!
Karthik Pasupathy
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant cartoons! excellent lines with a dose of subtle political humor!
Rakesh Kamal
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
All political cartoons still very much relevant! lovely portrayal of the mute common man.
Tridib Ghosh
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really the best of the best by Mr. Laxman.
Suriya Gayathri
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of timeless cartoons, mainly based on Indian political scenarios and events.

• The Blue Umbrella
  • Zen Pencils: Cartoon Quotes from Inspirational Folks
  • Raavan: Enemy of Aryavarta (Ram Chandra #3)
  • The house next door
  • Marriages Are Made In Kitchen
  • When You Can Why Not?: Insightful Short Stories
  • Time Crawlers
  • Midnights with the Mystic: A Little Guide to Freedom and Bliss
  • Indra Nooyi - A Biography
  • The Text
  • I've never been (Un)happier: (Penguin Petit)
  • The Day I Stopped Drinking Milk
  • Ikigai: Los secretos de Japón para una vida larga y feliz
  • India's Struggle for Independence
  • Sauvastika: The Struggle of Shantiputra
  • Myth = Mithya: A Handbook of Hindu Mythology
  • The India Way: Strategies for an Uncertain World
  • Marigold - Textbook in English for Class - 4 - 424
'''Rasipuram Krishnaswamy Iyer Laxman''' (born October 23 1924, Mysore, India) is an Indian cartoonist, illustrator and humorist. He is widely regarded as India's greatest-ever cartoonist and is best known for his creation ''The Common Man".

R. K. Laxman was awarded the prestigious Padma Bhushan by the Government of India. He has won many awards for his cartoons, including Asia's top journalism awa