Start by marking “Shark Kiss, Octopus Hug” as Want to Read:
Shark Kiss, Octopus Hug

Shark Kiss, Octopus Hug

Shark Kiss, Octopus Hug is a sweet and funny picture book about friendship—under the sea!

Charlie the shark and Olivia Octopus were the best friends the ocean had ever seen. All Charlie wanted was a hug. Olivia desperately wished for a kiss. This is the story of how they both found what they were looking for.
Published June 3rd 2014 by Balzer + Bray (first published June 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Shark Kiss, Octopus Hug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shark Kiss, Octopus Hug

pati
The cover was so promising. The story is cute but I just couldn't get into the whole thing.
Anthony
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Charlie the shark wants a hug, and Olivia the Octopus wants a kiss, but everything thing they try to accomplish their requests are rejected by the beach goers, and leads to disappointment, but through it all they both finally get their fondest wishes.
Gabriella
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was cute and I really enjoyed the illustrations.
Ashley
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Funny and so precious.
Caryn Caldwell
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Best friends Charlie and Olivia want hugs and kisses from all those friendly people playing on the beach. Only problem? Olivia is an octopus and Charlie is a shark. No matter what antics they try, they can't get any takers. If they just look closely, though, they'll see that the perfect opportunity has been there all along. Charlie and Olivia's crazy attempts to get humans' attentions are quite amusing, and the illustrations are cute. All in all a fun story that may inspire a few hugs and kisses ...more
Brianna
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, reviewed
A shark and a octopus as best friends, one just wants a hug and one just wants a kiss. The story is a little bit silly, and a little bit sweet in the outcome. It was very fun seeing the different ways that Charlie and Olivia decided to get their hug and kiss. This book shows that sometimes people just want a little affection, just a hug or two, and maybe a little kiss, to cheer up their day. The illustrations were adorable and detailed and definitely eye-catching. I especially enjoyed the faces ...more
Christine Grant
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
August 2017
Shark desperately wants a kiss and Octopus wants a hug. No matter how hard they try or how creative they are, they cannot get someone to give them either. Great illustrations. Popular with toddlers and preschoolers.

May 2018--Fish Story Time
I still enjoy this story about the need for hugs and kisses, but I am downgrading this book to a 4 as the story isn't quite formed enough to deserve a 5.
Alice
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
2 Stars, it has been awhile since I have given such a lack luster review.

The first picture is great! Probably the only one I have seen where you show the ocean with ocean creatures and people on the beach. It was really fun to see that. But beyond that....it was just weird.

The pictures are fun but the story is bizarre . I guess the moral of the story is maybe what you are looking for was right there all along??
Alicia Evans
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another book we read for our Splash storytime. This book was fun because we got to talk about why the parents didn't want their children to be near a shark and an octopus. And then we got to talk about why that was sad. We challenged some perceptions here, and that's always a fun time.

For: readers wanting a cute book on either a shark or an octopus; readers wanting books about affection and friendship.

Possible red flag: loneliness; prejudice.
Miss Sarah
Aug 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ocean, shark, octopus, kisses, hugs
I really loved the humor in this book but it took a lot for the kids in storytime to get it. They did but I think an older crowd is easier to get the humor about a octopus who just wants a hug and an shark who just wants a kiss. They do some silly and funny things before they figure out the solution is right in front of them.
Robin Raines-Bond
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Charlie, the shark and Olivia, the octopus try SO HARD to get those lovable people on the beach to give them a hug and kiss, but the people are respond in the opposite way. Funny antics and expressive faces.
Deidrah Reeves
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet story about two friends that just need some affection.
Great for Shark story time.
Kimberly
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book is trying way too hard to be adorable.
Slee Brown
This is a great beat friend book or Valentines Day gift.
Rachel
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
A good message, but the progression to get there takes a long time.
Melanie
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
yeah, it's sappy, and predictable, but ultimately, i thought it was adorable. they are just trying SO HARD. and i love the illustrations. my inner little girl was delighted.
Whitney
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! So cute! About a shark and an octopus who want hugs and kisses and the lengths they go through to get some! Adorable illustrations.
Miss Melissa
May 17, 2018
Michelle
Apr 06, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lynn Rowe Reed is a prolific author/illustrator with twenty-five children’s books to her credit, thirteen of which she has both written and illustrated. Her books have been published by many New York publishers, including Random House, Disney, Farrar Straus Giroux, HarperCollins, Amazon/Two Lions, and Holiday House. Reed’s work, spanning nearly three decades, includes the illustrations for the hug ...more