Start by marking “Šauniojo kareivio Šveiko nuotykiai” as Want to Read:
Šauniojo kareivio Šveiko nuotykiai

Šauniojo kareivio Šveiko nuotykiai

(Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války #1-4)

„Meskite iš savo bibliotekų „Tarzaną džiunglėse“ ir kitą verstinį šlamštą. Raskite savy jėgų, kad gerų čekų autorių knygų yra“, - rašė J. Hašekas ant pirmojo „Šveiko“ leidimo 1921 m. Ši knyga nesupainiojama su jokia kita, išversta į 60 kalbų ir iki šio laiko prikausčius skaitančiąją visuomenę,

Šveikas – atlapaširdis kvėša, pasaulinis kvailys, visiškas idiotas, labai natūra
Published 2011 by Tyto alba (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about Šauniojo kareivio Šveiko nuotykiai, please sign up.
Eliška Josef Lada. He is best known as the illustrator of Jaroslav Hašek's World War I novel The Good Soldier Švejk, having won the Deutscher…moreJosef Lada. He is best known as the illustrator of Jaroslav Hašek's World War I novel The Good Soldier Švejk, having won the Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis in 1963.(less)
Zenny His age is not mentioned in the book. But we know he's already a veteran of previous war(s). Therefore, he's certainly not in his twenties.

Glenn Russell

"Nowadays it's fun being locked up," Švejk continued with relish. "There's no quartering, no Spanish boots. We've got bunks, a table, a bench. We're not all squashed together like sardines: we get soup; they give us bread and bring us a jug of water. We've got our latrines right under our snouts. You can see progress in everything."

Jaroslav Hašek was a born practical joker and mischief-maker. What better author to write a comic novel that's also a war novel than this renowned literary Czech hoaxer. As Milan Kundera
MJ Nicholls
The Czech antidote to Heller’s Catch-22 (a wonderful but overpraised anti-war satire), this anarchistic (and openly misogynistic) classic is bolder, bawdier, barmier and another B-bouncing word than Heller’s similar book thing. The premise here is that the balding and plump Švejk (or so he appears in the smile-raising illustrations) pretends to be an idiot to “dodge the draft,” but his motivations are deeper and his brain power plumper—he remembers his officer’s orders verbatim and is able to parrot the ...more
Jan-Maat
Probably the funniest book ever written about the first world war.

This isn't really a novel, more of a series of anecdotes linked together by a few characters and whose narrative drive grows weaker as the work progresses. It was written in instalments and I have never heard tell that there was an overall plan for the book.

Much of what happens and even bizarre stories like the editor who invented new animals to write about for a regular animal magazine are drawn from Hašek
Vit Babenco
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read The Good Soldier Švejk twice - once when I was still adolescent and second time when I was already an adult. I enjoyed it both times though quite differently.
I believe it is one of the first examples of postmodern novels full of delicious black humour.
I really don't know why those loonies get so angry when they're kept there. You can crawl naked on the floor, howl like a jackal, rage and bite. If anyone did this anywhere on the promenade people would be astonished, but there it's t/>
I
Evgeny
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Review updated on 4/1/2016.

A simple Czech person Svejk became a soldier in Austro-Hungarian Army in the beginning of World War I.
The Good Soldier Svejk
His way to become one was anything but straight: despite his wholehearted attempts to enlist the moment he heard about the war, he kept stumbling from one absurd situation into another ending up literally everywhere except for the Army. When he finally gets there, even more ridiculous situations keep happening to him thanks to the military life which defies common sense most of the time.

This
Tony
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-10-2015, wwi, czech
Humbly report, Sir, but I've been reading this book called The Good Soldier Švejk which I had not planned to read as part of my World War I project, but there you have it. It's a satire of the stupidity of war, of governments and armies and regulations, of class struggles. Of being a Czech, and nevertheless in the Austrian army. To deal with the absurdity of it all, you need an anti-hero. Which would be this guy:

Švejk.

One buffoonerous episode...

and another...

Yes, the drawings are in the book and add to the anarchy fun.

People say this book has its roots in Don Quixote, but there's Shandian digressions, too, and, as a character, Švejk has plenty of Bartleby in him. But he's funnier, more complex, and wiser, much wiser, despite his protestations of idiocy. It's obviously credited as spawning Catch-22, and yes, it's an anti-war novel. But when a few almost-enlightened characters did a double-take, a facial tic of wonder if the imbecile might just be putting them on, I thought of Chauncey Gardiner too.

'Listen, Švejk, are you really God's prize oaf?'

'Humbly report, Sir,' Švejk answered solemnly, 'I am. Ever since I was little I have had bad luck like that.'

I was thinking of all these things, as I was almost done with the book, and the et ux and I decided to take a five-mile walk around a nearby lake. The path follows a roadway, one mile of which was under repair, a widening project, what they call it, which had been in progress for six months and was days from completion.

We walked as far as the section under repair. Years of parochial education have resulted in my following even the most pedantic of rules (and a good handful of the Ten Commandments, by the way), so I stopped us at the three big ROAD CLOSED signs. However, there is something about a freshly paved roadway, with brightly painted yellow and white lines. There was just some guardrail work being done. We asked some of the worker bees whether we could continue on and they couldn't think why not, and we couldn't think why not either, this being America and all. Can I have a little Woody Guthrie please!

As I went walking I saw a sign there
And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
But on the other side it didn't say nothing,
That side was made for you and me.

Thank you.

And it was indeed a beautiful ribbon of highway. I tipped my cap to the workers, who tipped their caps back at me. All was well.

At about the halfway point through the 'construction area', a white pick-up truck with a flashing yellow light on top came speeding up from behind us, screeching to a stop at our side. What he said was, 'This is a NO TRESPASSING area!' but I think what he meant was Sir, you have rubbed the bloom off my virginity.

To which the et ux offered, 'My husband said it was okay.'

The officious man in the white pick-up truck now knew which guilty party to glare at. So, I offered, 'This reminds me of the time the et ux and I were driving back from Illinois and where the highway goes in a big circle around Indianapolis the speed limit went from 75 miles per hour to 55 miles per hour, with not enough warning, if you know what I mean. So I got pulled over. The local gendarme walked up to the car, identifying himself and explaining why he was compelled to stop me, only to be interrupted by the et ux, who leaned over to say, 'I told him to slow down!' My hands on the wheel, I waited for her to continue with 'but he never listens when he's drinking' but the hand of God must have stopped her.'

'You're a smart-aleck,' said the white pick-up truck.

'Humbly report, that view has its supporters, but then there's those that vote for feeble-minded. But anyway, baszom az anyát, baszom az istenet, baszom a Kristus Máriát, baszom az astyádot, baszom a világot.'

'What's your name?'

'Švejk.'

'Shvayk?'

'No, Švejk. Just like it's spelled.'

'You're not Shvayk.' (this from the et ux.)

'Well, you can't walk here.'

I decide to be quiet and let him figure this out. The sign on his door says FOLINO CONSTRUCTION and not MCCANDLESS TOWNSHIP POLICE DEPARTMENT. We are one-half mile from where we came and one-half mile from where we are going. We do not have a helicopter. The most ardent profiler could not perceive the two old people that we are as terrorists, nor is this new roadway likely on any Top 100 Infrastructure Thingies We'd Like to Blow Up List in Jihad Monthly. So, here we were, waiting for the man Mr. Folino thought enough of to let him have a spinning yellow light on top of his truck to figure this out. As Švejk would say, he had a well-developed talent for observation when it's already too late and some unpleasantness has happened.

We were let off with a warning.

We walked through the construction zone, and about a mile more in silence. Then the et ux said, 'You're writing a review, aren't you Mr. Shvayk?'

'Why yes I am. And it's Švejk.'

'That book with the cartoon on the cover?'

'Somewhat famous drawings by Josef Lada, but yes.'

'What's it about?'

'It's a satire, with a seeming bumbling idiot for a protagonist who goes on one misadventure after another, but with the clear purpose, if you read it correctly, of not getting anywhere near the front lines during World War I and getting himself killed.'

'A satire?'

'Yes. A satire. Which is tricky because the people who are spoofed in a satire are pretty much guaranteed not to see the humor in it. It reminds me of the guy who would be making dinner and his wife would walk behind him making sure he closed all the drawers he opened so that crumbs wouldn't fall in. Or would stand there when he returned from taking the garbage out or walk out of the bathroom and just stare at his hands until he got the point that he should wash his hands. Or freeze in her tracks when she heard ice cubes drop into a glass fearing the end of the world or that maybe vodka would follow......'

'That's not funny.'

----- ----- ----- -----

Švejk was explaining: You see, it's not so hard to get in somewhere. Anyone can do that, but getting out again needs real military skill. When a chap gets in somewhere, he has to know about everything that's going on around him, so as not to find himself in a jam suddenly - what's called a catastrophe.

----- ----- ----- -----

Humbly report, Sir.

Beata
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book ages ago thanks to my Dad to whom I am eternally grateful. Probably one of the best novels of the 20th century on war.
Nigeyb
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jaroslav Hašek was an anarchist and anarchy runs through The Good Soldier Švejk like a stick of rock. It's anti-war, anti-establishment, anti-religion and, some say, even funnier than Catch-22. Apparently Joseph Heller based his hero Yossarian on Švejk. I read Catch-22 far too long ago to make a valid comparison. Oh, and Bertholt Brecht declared it the greatest book of the twentieth century. And, I can confirm, it really is quite something....

This Penguin Classics edition of The Good Soldier Švejk contains an informative introducti
Margitte
So many composers have translated stories into music. I was thinking that if this story could be translated into an operetta, or even a cabaret, it would become a medley of innocence, honesty, madness, brutality and a world happily going mad, while we, the audience, laugh ourselves to death, merrily tapping our feet to the rhythm of the orchestra.

I had the same feeling and reaction when I read Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Berniers. And then later on with 100-year-old Man Who Climbe
Anthony Buckley
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
The first time I read this book, as a teenager, I could not see the point. So I put it down without finishing it. Now I see it as one of the great books. The character of Svejk is straight out of folklore. He is the foolish man who somehow kills the giant, gets the princess and claims the gold. Except that here is no fairy tale, but a story of war and a story of bureaucrats and officialdom.

Specifically, we at first witness Svejk, a bumbling lower class oaf who has been recruited into the army, and w
Hadrian
I've been on a roll with my reading recently. Love having time off.

Anyways - it is often said that this novel was an inspiration for Catch-22. Like Catch-22, it is hilarious. Unfortunately, it tends to go on for a little too long, also like Catch-22.

The moralizing in the end does tend to break up the monotony. The book ends abruptly, but this is due to the author's unfortunate death. This also explains some 'unpolished' sections of the book.

Despite these flaws
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Mine is a 1943 edition of this by Penguin Books. The pages are brittle so I wasn't able to dog-ear, but all the pages are intact. Sewn-up and not merely glued, only four pages were detached. As the war was ongoing then, its back cover advertises "Penguin Specials" with titles like: "Modern Battle," "American vs. Germans," "How Russia Prepared," "How the Jap Army Fights," "New Soldier's Handbook," "Aircraft Recognition," "New Ways of War," etc. Another recommended title is "Guerrilla Warfare" wit ...more
Auguste
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A vastly amusing, compulsive read, Hašek's masterpiece is, moreover, a brutal satire of humanity's foulest self-inflicted plagues - war, organized religion and a savagely oppressive State - that retains too this day its power to shock and disturb. As for Josef Švejk, perhaps no other Everyman or antihero was ever so endearing. An unforgettable book and one of the few classics (Rabelais also comes to mind) that can be consumed with such greedy, giddy delight.
Bruce
Nov 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of a simple soldier of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in World War I. Throughout the first few chapters, Svejk seems like a harmless and naïve simpleton, the story reminding me of Candide, Voltaire’s version, however, coming more obviously out of an Enlightenment milieu, whereas Hasek’s version seems more like folk literature. How creatively Hasek develops this determines whether interest in the story can be maintained or whether the narrative becomes unimaginative and tedious. In fact, t ...more
Stark
Aug 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read this because I knew that Svejk was the forbear of one of the ur-texts of sad-eyed high school existentialists, namely, Catch-22. Joseph Heller said he could never have written his surreal epic without having read this WWI picaresque by Hasek. I thought I was going to love it, obviously. While perusing Svejk was interesting in a historical sense, unfortunately I ended up not finding it as enjoyable as I had hoped. Despite the many lavish descriptions of how to fight bureaucracy w ...more
Pavel
If you followed TV News too much and just need something anti-militaristic and hilarious at the same time - you've found the right book! Worthlessness and cruelty of a regime (literally - Austro-Hungarian one) towards its own people, fraud, corruption and queen of them all - the WAR. Year 1914. Josef Svejk, a dog seller, drafted into army to fight on a meaningless war, somehow knows a way around those things - he feigns idiocy. And it works! Especially when we get to see who is real idiots there ...more
Wendy
My initial reaction to this book after reading the first few chapters is that it reminded me of Catch-22. Sure enough, after some research, I found out that Heller credits Hasek's work as one of his key influences. If you appreciate the biting satire, base humor, and no-holds-barred castigation of bureaucratic organizations in Catch-22, you love it in Svejk as well. Sveyk, the (seemingly) good-natured and dopey Dudley-Do-Right of the Czech contingent in the Austria-Hungarian army during WWI is a ...more
Wreade1872
The satirical tale of a czech soldier, part of the austro-hungarian army during WWI. A lot of the humour of this story still holds up well. It would have been nice to know that the book is unfinished, however although you'd like more closure the story still stands up well as it is.
Svejk is very much like Baldric from Black Adder or Homer Simpson, but your never entirely sure how stupid he is. Oh he's certainly not the brightest but behind that suspiciously honest face is a pretty devious mind,
Justin Evans
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A very amusing book, with rather diminishing rewards; there are only so many times you can make the joke about how the soldier ate the officer's food before it starts to get boring, and I more or less stopped paying attention to those jokes at the end of part two--which meant part three was more tedious than entertaining. Hasek didn't finish it, and that's probably a good thing. I fear the 1000 page monster which is still recycling jokes by page 989. It's also good because the point of the book ...more
Nicola
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001-books, humor, g1000
Well thank goodness that's over!

It's not that it was bad, it was that it was so overly long and repetitive that the mild humour became overshadowed by the 'oh here we go again' as the anti hero launched into one of his innumerable tales about dog only knows what until my eyes glazed over, my brain melted out my ears and I thought of about 10 other books that I could be reading right now instead of this.

The seemingly brainless Svejk who was called up to 'do his duty' in WWI spent all of his tim
Casper
Jun 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, eastern-europe
It took me more than two years to finish this book. Had managed to get until half-way upon buying it, but couldn't get myself to continue. Basically, it's just more and more of the same. On the other hand, that "same" is also pretty damn good. And so, after two years of hesitation I decided to give its second half another chance and liked it. This novel has brilliant satiric comedy, crazy pictures and the highest amount of anecdotes I've ever come across. It's definitely flawed in some parts, wi ...more
Leslie
3.5*
This WW1 classic Czech novel reminded me of Catch-22 or M.A.S.H. -- black humor about the way armies work. I much prefered this older translation to that of Sadlon's new one I started off with in Book 1 and also enjoyed Lada's illustrations this book had.
Claire
You do not find them much better! A delightful book, full of humour and with a great anti hero as MC.
The clever ways our good soldier tries to escape battle (and at the same time he convinces everyone he cannot wait to go to the war) are really entertaining. The social criticism is effective as it is brought in a humourous way.
Reading this novel, I found it sometimes hard to realize it had been written almost a century ago.
From BBC Radio 4 - Classical Serial:
Dramatisation by Christopher Reason of the satirical Czech novel by Jaroslav Hasek that charts the exploits of a WWI soldier.

When he seems to celebrate the death of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Svejk is arrested and so starts his progress through the ranks of the Austro-Hungarian army.
Shan
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: czech-fiction, humor
This book is hilarious. I love Svejk. I wish I could have his attitude to life. There's a Svejk restaurant in Prague that's got images of Svejk on napkins, menus, etc. Stumbled across it one night when we were freezing cold and didn't have any more Czech money and the place we were going to eat didn't take credit cards. It was the only place around that was open and warm. Truly a Svejk moment.
Luke
"A monarchy as idiotic as this ought not to exist at all."

And so the eponymous Josef Svejk summarizes this book in one sentence. This book is, above all, a parody of the Habsburg Empire during World War I--especially in regards to its bureaucracy and its nationalities policy. Scholars have been perplexed for years over whether Svejk really is an idiot, or if he fakes it with absolute success. Although the story is centered on Svejk himself, we readers--between all of the "Sir, I humb
Hermien
Amusing and brilliantly narrated by David Horowitz.
Andrew Walter
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vanek asked with interest: "How long do you think the war will go on, Svejk?" "Fifteen years," answered Svejk. "That's obvious because once there was a Thirty Years War and now we're twice as clever as they were before, so it follows that thirty divided by two is fifteen"

This is an unusually succinct quote from our good natured Good Soldier Svejk , who is normally given to interminable rambling anecdotes to illustrate his point (or sometimes seemingly just to pass the time), and it neatly sums
Cam
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like historical fiction written by contemporaries about recent events, like "All's Quiet on the Western Front," and that depict events from a new perspective - try out this hidden classic. If you don't often hear the German side of WWI in U.S. history classes, you also hear even less about the other losers like Austria-Hungary. This novel gives a great glimpse behind the scenes as the twilight years of the Hapsburgs unfold in this "first" of the Great Wars across Europe and the rest of th ...more
Corto
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m writing this review after finishing Book Two of “The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk in the World War”.

In this review, I’m going to include my thoughts on the differing Cecil Parrot and Zenny Sadlon translations, as I feel which translation you read will give you a different experience with the titular character, and the story in general. In short, the Sadlon translation gives the reader a novel with extraordinarily more depth and layers than the Parrot translation.<
Reading 1001: The Good Soldier Švejk 1 4 Sep 08, 2019 12:23PM
Banned Book Society: The Good Soldier Švejk, Spoilers Allowed (March 17- May 17) 1 8 Mar 10, 2017 12:08AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please change cover 7 38 Dec 29, 2016 02:31PM

• The Man Without Qualities: Vol. 2
  • Fear: A Novel of World War I
  • Waiting for the Dark, Waiting for the Light
  • Death of a Hero
Jaroslav Hašek was a Czech humorist, satirist, writer and anarchist best known for his novel The Good Soldier Švejk (Czech: Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války), an unfinished collection of farcical incidents about a soldier in World War I and a satire on the ineptitude of authority figures, which has been translated into sixty languages. He also wrote some 1,500 short stories. He was a journa ...more

Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války (4 books)
  • Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války, 1. díl – V zázemí (Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války #1)
  • The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War, Book Two
  • Doživljaji dobrog vojnika Švejka u prvom svetskom ratu (knjiga 3)
  • Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války, 4. díl – Pokračování slavného výprasku
“When Švejk subsequently described life in the lunatic asylum, he did so in exceptionally eulogistic terms: 'I really don't know why those loonies get so angry when they're kept there. You can crawl naked on the floor, howl like a jackal, rage and bite. If anyone did this anywhere on the promenade people would be astonished, but there it's the most common or garden thing to do. There's a freedom there which not even Socialists have ever dreamed of.” 28 likes
“After debauches and orgies there always follows the moral hangover.” 27 likes