Start by marking “Victoria Line, Central Line” as Want to Read:
Victoria Line, Central Line

Victoria Line, Central Line

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  3,740 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
Millions of people travel on London's tube every day, yet we usually give our fellow passengers only a cursory glance. But each one of these nameless passengers has their own story to tell.

At Notting Hill, the mysterious secretary, harbouring her secrets, travels to work; at Highburyand Islington, Adam has a sudden change of heart; and at Holborn, a disastrous reunion is a
Published April 1st 1993 by Arrow (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Victoria Line, Central Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victoria Line, Central Line

Janice Shellenberger
By far my least favorite Binchy book. Don't get me wrong: Each short story is brilliant. My complaint? Liked the characters way too much to say goodbye to them so quickly.
Beth
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maeve Binchy is a master at creating believable and sympathetic characters that readers can readily identify with. This early collection of short stories/character profiles is a good study for any writer trying to develop more realistic 3D characters and is a delight for any reader.
Obsidian
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Maeve Binchy. I honestly really did cry when I head that she had passed away. I have been reading her novels and short stories for so many years I was just used to her books. No matter what she was always an automatic buy for me. I have not had a chance to read all of her books so decided to go back and read the ones I have not up until now.

I really did enjoy London Transports. I do think that she was a very fine teller of short stories and wish that more authors out there would do short
Kirstin O'Connor
I am unsure of how I felt about these short stories l. I like the idea but feel that many of them missed the mark for me.
Kari
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing is as good as ever with Maeve Binchy (I am a huge fan), but the 3 stars is because I found the themes repetitious and heavy. The majority of the stories have something to do with one person taking great advantage of another (or a person allowing someone to do this to them) or about people being greatly obtuse to their own motives and intents, such as a young women allowing herself to be okay with the crumbs of a life her married boyfriend throws her, or of a feckless boyfriend moochi ...more
Tortla
I only read "Marble Arch," but there wasn't really an option to review a single short story so I guess I have to settle for the compilation it's from.

The story was decent: well-realized characters and a straightforward narrative which gradually fleshed out their lives (with pointed sympathy toward the protagonist). Her martyrdom was a bit annoying, though. I presumed that it was some sort of feminist critique of working women as being trapped rather than liberated by the supposed freedom to love
Graceann
Sep 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays
Maeve Binchy is great at relationships - how people interact with one another, whether they've been together for a day or many years, is something she writes about with great flair. I admired the concept of Victoria Line/Central Line, and the first story about a woman stuck on the Tube and dreading the meeting that is to come when she is "freed," fed into my expectation that the stories would dwell on the people we see on public transport, and our secret wonderings about them. This wasn't always ...more
Melissa
Sep 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ummm...did you know I was an anglophile? :) Do I need say more?

This book is a collection of short stories by this gal, Maeve Binchy, who I believe is from Dublin. So all the characters use phrases like ‘rubbish’ and ‘bloody.’ And they call the television the ‘telly’. What is this bloody rubbish on the telly?? :)

It’s such a good book! There’s about 17 little snippets from the lives of different English women at particular moments. It’s like a Sex and the City where the women refer to their boyfri
Theresa Leone Davidson
This is a book of 22 short stories by Maeve Binchy. I love Binchy's novels, and while there were a couple of short stories here that I was less than thrilled with, overall, it was quite a good collection. Stories like Seven Sisters, concerning a married couple about to embark on a wife-swapping odyssey, were not only very funny but heartwarming. Others, like Finsbury Park, about a woman who physically escapes poverty but psychologically cannot get over its devastating consequences, were really g ...more
Shannon
Jan 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-stuff
Joanna
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A lot of depressing and frustrating characters, not the usual Mauve Binchy I expected. Almost stopped mid-way but slogged through. Glad I finished it but only giving it two stars for that reason. Also, a couple of the stories were from another collection, so repeats for me.
Andrew
Oct 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
They weren't short stories: they just felt unfinished.
3 stories in, I gave up!
Marina Morais
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
This is a great compilation of powerful female characters trying to stay true to themselves against the world's wishes (and by "world" I mean society, of course).

Basically, we have a succession of London stations, each serving as title for a different short story, with different characters. Sometimes the tube and the surroundings of that particular station have an active participation in the story, whereas some other times it's just there. It's not the strongest point of the narrative, though. I
Dilshat
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Сборник очень страшных рассказов про женщин. Нет, насилия и резни бензопилой по-техасски там нет, а зато все время узнаешь свои собственные паттерны мышления и отношений с друзьями, родными, партнерами, коллегами, и видишь, какие же они извращенные. Феминистический мастрид.
BETH BUSS
this took forever to read. not a light, fluffy Binchy. this was damned depressing at times. a truly hard slog.

I didn't hate it - but it was work.

I like the format, almost like an old-school serial. I read sections on my commutes - had to put it aside a few times to lighten the mood.
Eileen
May 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories that I've started at least twice before, always putting it aside after only 1-2 stories.........& this third time was NOT the charm. Maybe I just don't like short stories?? These (the first 2 in the book) were boring, non-involving, shallow, unappealing.
Thea Smith
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels-romance
Loved this book, every chapters characters could have been made into a full length story in their own right. Not read short stories for ages and didn't realise that was, what I was getting when I started this, but really enjoyed it.
Sue
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories of people in various parts of London. A whole lot of drama and very little satisfaction. While I have enjoyed her novels, perhaps because of the length and opportunity for resolution, these just present the drama or crisis and then move on to the next tale.
Natalie
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you looking for a short story collection that is well written, has you curious for more about each of the characters, and is true to life? Maeve Binchy is in her element with these. Glorious!
Vy Nguyen
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great inspiring short stories . So much truth in them . I really enjoyed .
Frances
I know that this was her early work. It was hard to relate to some of the stories.
Jane Gregg
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very clever. A mistress of the minute detail.
Melissa Mcintyre
I love her writing style. Her stories draw you in and you can relate to her characters. A great read.
Cheryl
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Various quick short stories, some of which I skipped
Heather
A great book of her short stories... I miss this author!
Emily
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
quiet heartbreaks and warmths and no less true for being quiet
Janyce
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
liked some stories, but ot others
Karen
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another hard-to-put-down short story compilation about human nature from the ever insightful, and always wise and witty, Ms. Binchy.
Athleen Baker
Each chapter is a different short story, and I'm not fond of short stories.
Jenny (rapid tortoise)
When I was young I was into short stories. All of them were written by men, Chekhov being my first love. I didn't know at the time that I'd be one day fascinated by stories that would be much closer to my life experience, my dreams, my sorrows and joys - written by a female.
Hire the efficient Packers and Movers in Jaipur 1 1 Jan 18, 2018 10:02AM
  • This Will Be Difficult to Explain: And Other Stories
  • Men in the Making
  • The Tavern on Maple Street
  • Calamity and Other Stories
  • One Candlelit Christmas (The MacLerie Clan #4.5) (Wellingfords #2.5)
  • The Gilded Cage
  • Irish Girls Are Back in Town
  • Verkeerde vrienden
  • Sword and Sorceress V
  • The Young Wan (Agnes Browne, #0.5)
  • Promises, Promises
  • Masha
Maeve Binchy was born on 28 May 1940 in Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland, the eldest child of four. Her parents were very positive and provided her with a happy childhood. Although she described herself as an overweight child, her parents' attitude gave her the confidence to accept herself for who she was.

She studied at University College Dublin and was a teacher for a while. She also loved travelin
More about Maeve Binchy

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This