Start by marking “Hot Fudge Hero” as Want to Read:
Hot Fudge Hero

Hot Fudge Hero

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  29 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Bertie learns through trial and error that making friends, playing the saxophone, and getting a strike at the bowling alley take hard work, patience, and time.
Published April 15th 1997 by Redfeather Book from Henry Holt (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Hot Fudge Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Fudge Hero

Luisa Knight
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, i-can-read
This is one of those buried, unknowns that I happened to stumble upon - and it's now a favorite! It has three incredibly likable stories. There aren't many pictures, but what it lacks on that front, it makes up for in the witty plots. Particularly the first, where Bertie's ball goes into the neighbor's yard and he decides to read "How to Make Friends in Five Easy Steps" to try to get it back. Cute and funny!

Reading Level: 1st - 3rd grades

Cleanliness: The word "Darn!" is used. There is a story wi
Courtney Weber
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction: This is such a cute transitional book. I love how in the first story Bertie comes up with ideas on how to get Mr. Muckleberg and his mean dog to like him. He even reads books on friendship. I think we could all learn from Bertie, and I'd love to get an ice cream sundae in the end as well haha!

Read Aloud: This would be a good read aloud for first through third grade. I think that they would really appreciate this book and find it funny. It is 80 pages long and you would most li
Melissa Mcavoy
There is lots of humor and accomplishment is this three chapter early reader. Bertie retrieves his ball from mean old man Muckleberg, learns to play the saxiphone and achieves a life long dream of bowling a strike. After each success he also enjoys a hot fudge sundae. A fine, goal oriented early reader that encourages children to overcome impediments. Colloquial language, repetition, and some fanciful episodes frame the stories which showcase friendship and determination.
Alyce Dougan
Apr 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: transitional
Who doesnt love Bertie? I found this book fun for students. Inside there are three entertaining stories for children. I practiced reading it with a group of 2nd and third graders and they seemed to enjoy it.
Steph
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute enough but I don't think anyone will remember it. But a lovely reading level for first and second graders!
Brandi
Simple short stories great for transitional readers about a young boy who will do most anything for a hot fudge sundae--make friends, learn saxophone, and bowl a strike.
courtney
Sep 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
o yeah. i read this. im so cool.
Dec 05, 2015
Pinky
rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2014
Morgan
rated it did not like it
Jul 27, 2017
Jenn Owlett
Feb 16, 2016
Abdi
Mar 30, 2016
I have been writing picture books and easy-to-read chapter books for the last twenty years. My first YA, The Best and Hardest Thing, a novel in verse, will be coming out in May 2010.

I am a former elementary school teacher, school librarian and reference librarian in a public library. I now write full-time and do author visits to schools.

My husband and I have four grown sons. We live in Phillipsbu
More about Pat Brisson...