Start by marking “Star Blanket” as Want to Read:
Star Blanket

Star Blanket

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  16 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
When Laura goes to bed each night, she loves to hear the story of the Star Blanket. The story begins on the day Dad's baby sister was baptized when he was a little boy, and the family drove in the old green DeSoto down to Saint James Church. Afterwards, when presents were being opened, Laura's dad realized there weren't any for him. But Gram quietly handed him a special pa ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by Boyds Mills Press

To ask other readers questions about Star Blanket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Blanket

Patricia McLaughlin
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Heart-warming story about the fabric of family and the fine stitch work required of enduring relationships
White House Public Library
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a sweet story that shows how important family truly is. I really liked how each star on the blanket represented Laura's father's family members. The blanket is a creative alternative to patchwork quilts made out of clothing from different family members. It also teaches children that even though a younger sibling may come into the picture, you are still loved just as much as you were before becoming a big brother/sister. This is a wonderful story to add to any bedtime routine when saying ...more
Kelsey
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: family, k-2nd
Age: K - 1st grade

There are always stories behind everyday objects, especially those that hold a special value. If Laura's good enough getting to bed, her father will tell her the story of the star blanket that he once held dear to him. This picture book intends to celebrate family history and storytelling but falls short. The story feels too important to the author, getting lost in mundane details and plot movement.
Jennie
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Chrystal
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-children
I thought this was a beautiful book with family history and tradition.
Shelly
Apr 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute book with importance of family and tradition
Adrienne
Mar 15, 2012
Terra
Feb 22, 2017
Emily Fisher
rated it did not like it
May 29, 2014
Sep 15, 2017
Kalvina
is currently reading it
Mar 22, 2018
I have been writing picture books and easy-to-read chapter books for the last twenty years. My first YA, The Best and Hardest Thing, a novel in verse, will be coming out in May 2010.

I am a former elementary school teacher, school librarian and reference librarian in a public library. I now write full-time and do author visits to schools.

My husband and I have four grown sons. We live in Phillipsbu