Start by marking “The Christmas Crocodile” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Crocodile

The Christmas Crocodile

On Christmas Eve Alice Jayne finds a crocodile under the tree. The Christmas Crocodile doesn't mean to be bad, not really, but soon he is eating everything in the house, even the Christmas tree! "Send the beast to Africa," huffs Uncle Theodore. Aunt Figgy thinks he should be put in an orphanage. "Maybe the zoo?" suggests Father. But Alice Jayne wants to give him a home. Wi ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Crocodile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Crocodile

Charlie
I feel like a kid again after reading this book. AND sure glad I won this book thru Goodreads.com.
The illustrations and the story were just right for readers of all ages.
A nice book to have even though I had to read it on the ole computer.
Rebecca
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty hilarious. My son quoted it all the next day. It was fun to read as an adult, too!

It felt like they didn't know how to end it and just figured out a simple conclusion. But it didn't negatively impact the experience.
RachelAnne
Apr 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Alice Jayne found the Christmas Crocodile under the tree on Christmas Eve. “He wore a red bow around his neck. It was lovely. Except he ate it.” Each member of this Victorian family has a different idea about what to do with the crocodile—who didn’t mean to be bad, not really—who is making havoc of the house. In the end, it appears to have been a case of the wrong address—but something has been left behind! Try this for a crocodile storytime or an out-of-the ordinary Christmas storytime. Ages 4- ...more
Dolly
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous story about a most unfortuate Christmas present. The family is at times charmed by, frustrated with and attached to a Crocodile who is discovered under the Christmas tree. The story is lively and the illustrations are hilarious.

We really enjoyed reading this story together and we loved searching for the cute little dog that can be found on almost every page.

Helen
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great detailed illustrations and funny characters and humorous story with kind undertones

I read this to my son for bedtime, he loves For so we randomly selected from the Kindle Unlimited books. However, he fell asleep but (not because it was boring at all) I still kept reading it that's how much I actually liked it. Lol It was told in such a way that you were eager to find out what happened next. Each of the colorful, detailed and beautiful illustrations depicted the equally colorful characters
Roben
It's Christmas Eve! And what should Alice Jayne find under the tree but -- a crocodile!? Who really truly doesn't mean to eat everything in her path... but does - even the cookies left out for Santa! And how did she get there, anyway? Ah - but that's all part of the surprise! Quite delightful with a lovely introduction by Nancy Pearl explaining her "crush". Thank you for shining a light on this one!
Angela Lambkin
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! What an unusual Christmas story!

I liked this unusual story and the illustrations but the print size could have been a bit bigger making it easier on the reader's eyes, don't you think so too. But because I thought was quite unique this is why I chose to rate this as a five star ebook. Thus, I wish to recommend this for kids ages 4-8 and or in grades P-2nd. I received this ebook for free by using KU and in return, here's my honest review. Great job Bonny! By Sunny.
Emily
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a weird book that made me a bit frustrated, which is why I gave it 2 stars. It is about a family who finds a crocodile in their house and it eats all their Christmas gifts and other household stuff. They try and try to get rid of it and control it, but nothing works. It turns out that the crocodile was sent to the wrong place. This teaches responsibility in a weird way. Grades 3-5.
Nancy
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is of course absurd to have a crocodile in a home. The little girl keeps saying the crocodile doesn't mean to do bad things, just like a child might feel about the things she does. The story is funny, and the adult responses are silly. Cute book.
Lynn  Davidson
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A crocodile was delivered to Alice Jayne and her family for Christmas. He didn't mean to be bad, really ... but, oh my! was he hungry!
This is an adorable story; funny, witty, wonderfully and hilariously illustrated.
Kelley Perrigin
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too cute!

My 3 year old niece loved this book. When we finished we discussed what the crocodile would eat if if came to her house. Instead of hiding under the bed it was going to eat the bed and she would help him.
Jeani
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit of a riot! We belly laughed more than once reading this. Pretty cute. I could see this being adapted into a funny little skit for kids.
cory l. west
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genius storyline

We choice this for our night time book because it looked like a unique and interesting stories, and it was! Great story, very unique and wonderfully written.
Jenn
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this.
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's cute and I like it but who gives a storybook an unhappy ending?
Bonnie Grover
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a fun story for Christmas. We used it for sketchnoting and thinking strategies.
Clwseattle
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Very cute! A bit of a different Christmas story but great in its heartwarming absurdity! I loved the vintage style illustrations.
Kelly
A crocodile shows up one Christmas and starts eating the family out of house and home!
Christin Hackman
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents, teachers, children
Recommended to Christin by: It's one of the books at my work
The Christmas Crocodile is a children's picture book. I think the intended age group for this book would be age 3 to 7.

On Christmas Eve, Alice Jayne finds the Christmas crocodile underneath the tree. “He wore a red bow around his neck. It was lovely. Except he ate it.” Each member of the family has a different idea about what to do with the crocodile, including sending it to Africa. The Christmas crocodile didn't mean to be bad, not really. He unleashes havoc on the house, eating all the presen
Mary Keen
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I heard a very enthusiastic interview on our local NPR station before XMas. I put it on hold and it finally came.
Altho', it's a children's book, i enjoyed it --especially the wonderfully-detailed old-fashioned illustrations by David SMall, including a coal pile by the furnace in the cellar.
Clever story too, especially the ending and the final hook.
Andrew Farley
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story, great illustrations, and wacky characters.

The story overall won't become a Christmas classic, but that doesn't mean it isn't extremely enjoyable. Each member of the family is silly in some way, except Alice Jayne. She is the only normal one, and we can identify with her because sometimes we all feel like the only sane one around. Especially at Christmas. As with many Christmas or Holiday stories, things go wrong, things get worse, and then everything is better "YAAAAY!" So what will
LeeAnn
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winning a copy was my first opportunity to read The Christmas Crocodile--thank you, Nancy Pearl, for bringing this classic back. This is one of Bonny's earlier picture books that has been out of print until this Kindle version was released. Not to worry, though, it has all the trademark "Beckerisms": wry humor, a clever repeating phrase, memorable characters, and an ordinary, everyday problem disguised in extraordinary circumstances. Plus it has David Small's deliciously detailed illustrations t ...more
babyhippoface
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Christmas Crocodile didn't mean to be bad, not really. Not when he ate some presents, not when he stole the Christmas roast, not when he ate through the back room door, or when he swallowed the talcum powder, feather boa, and perfume. Not even when he nibbled Aunt Figgy's toe. He was just hungry. And it was Christmas Eve, after all.

I love David Small's illustrations. They make anything more appealing. Period. Here, the Christmas croc seems like a little kid looking at you with big eyes, eage
Liliana
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Christmas Crocodile, by Bonnie Decker, is a story about a crocodile that arrives on Christmas Eve and creates a lot of mischief for the family. While everyone looks forward to get rid of the beast Alice Jayne, the daughter, felt that they should keep him. The family eventually sympathizes with the crocodile that night on Christmas Eve, but shockingly wake up to a room full of destruction and chaos. It is a really cute, fun, and silly story that all kids will love.
The Christmas Crocodile is a
Andre
Jun 24, 2014 added it
The story Christmas crocodile was a funny folk tale. On Christmas Eve a little girl named Alice jayne was opening gifts. While she was opening gifts she saw a crocodile under the tree. The crocodile was terrorizing the house and decerations. Alice parents was very unpleased. Alice wanted to keep the crocodile and give hi a home. So she kept him down stairs. It can to an extinct that her dad wanted the crocodile gone. So the next day the people from the zoo came and took the crocodile. Alice was ...more
Jatana
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from Goodreads and I'm so glad I did win it.

What would you do if you found a Crocodile under your Christmas tree....laugh out loud and enjoy reading about it. I enjoyed the pictures and laughed at each family member idea on what to do with the destructive crocodile. I have to say that my nephew and any new little member of our family will receive this book from me at Christmas. Great job Bonny Becker!
Kelly Jimenez
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
In this book it talk about how the Christmas crocodile ate everything in it path. The crocodile didn't mean to be bad, but Alice Jayen would always protect him from her family. Also it talks about how Alice's family would try to sent him away because the crocodile ate everything. They even sent him to the basement, but he ate through the door. The crocodile didn't mean to be bad but he was just hungry. At the end of the book they found a letter that said " Hope you like crocodiles".
Luann
Mar 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Silly Christmas fun with a zany cast of characters and some of David Small's usual great touches. I especially liked the expressions on the crocodile's face. He's like a lovable, mischievous puppy who just happens to chew his way through doors and eat all the Christmas presents and even the tree (a blue spruce!). It says the story was based on the author's experience with a Christmas dachshund puppy when she was young.
Kathryn
I really enjoyed some aspects of this book (the setting and era, the humorous cast of characters, the sensitivity ultimately shown by the family) but some I did not like so much--the ending made me a bit sad and uncomfortable (view spoiler)
Judy
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This is a very cute story about a crocodile found under the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve. He gets into a lot of trouble eating things he shouldn't be eating but he really doesn't want to be bad. He's just very hungry. The illustrations are beautifully done and children of all ages will enjoy this fun and amusing tale. I received the ebook for free through Goodreads First Reads.
  • Christmas in the Barn
  • Turkey Claus
  • The Animals' Santa
  • Monster Needs a Christmas Tree
  • The Money We'll Save
Bonny Becker is the author of a number of award-winning picture books and middle-grade novels. She lives in Seattle.