Start by marking “The Heather Hills of Stonewycke (Stonewycke, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Heather Hills of Stonewycke (Stonewycke, #1)

The Heather Hills of Stonewycke

(Stonewycke Trilogy #1)

Hardcover, Large Print, 520 pages
Published October 1st 2002 by Thorndike Press (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Heather Hills of Stonewycke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heather Hills of Stonewycke

Start your review of The Heather Hills of Stonewycke (Stonewycke, #1)
Jerry
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
A sweeping historical romance/drama that features great writing, an incredible story, and plenty of heart-tugging moments. Can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy!
Gayle
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the first Michael Phillips book I ever read and I fell in love with his writing then and there. He writes in the style of Scottish theologian George MacDonald and I hunger for that wisdom combined with storytelling. I am a huge Michael Phillips fan and found that Lawana Blackwell has the same style of writing.
Blabby Gabi
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Carol
I have been trying to read authors from Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland and England. This book was recommended to me by Alice (thank you Alice!) I truly loved reading this book (in only 14 hours). We are planning a trip to the UK, and especially Scotland, since my husband is a golfer. I am now waiting for the next two books.
Lora
Feb 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
I probably shouldn't give stars to a book I couldn't finish, but since the star is singular, maybe that slips it under the radar. The fact is, I got the book from the library and read the back and was alarmed to see it described as having been written by a committee. Well, I tried it, I surely tried, and seven chapters in I gave up. The book appears to be old enough to be clean, but dang, it feels as if they tossed the words into the air and any that fell into any semblance of a sentence made ...more
Karen
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet coming of age story set in Scotland. The main character, Maggie, is a young, sheltered girl who lives in the country in the Stonewycke manor. Maggie's father is a distant, uncaring parent and is only interested in Maggie as a bargaining chip to sell the right to marry her to the highest bidder. Will Maggie be strong enough to stand up to her father and choose her own husband for love instead of money? It was certainly fun reading to see what would happen. I will definitely be ...more
Loraine
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was good enough that I am looking forward to reading the sequel. It has romance, mystery (a little) and historical fiction. The plot moved along well and was interesting. It wasn't your typical romance plot, so that was refreshing. It's obviously going to continue the story, it was left very unfinished.
Amanda
I liked the premise... read loads of books like this when I was younger. I guess I felt the romance was a bit contrived... didn't buy their love and affection for each other. It just seems to have happened suddenly. We're told that their friendship grows into true, strong love, but we don't get to experience that with them. Not sure if I would bother reading the next in the series.
Kari
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This was like a Scottish Downton Abbey with a bit of a Christian twist. I liked it!
Jennifer Green brommet
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved this series too!
Lavins001
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
The little, thin story the book had, ended two thirds into the book. The rest was just....fillers.
Christine Roberts
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Follow the legacy and tragedies of the Duncan family, heirs to the estate of Stonewycke in Scotland. When Lady Margaret Duncan is betrayed by her father, she vows never to forgive him. At 17, she is a dashing, beautiful young woman who, unbeknownst to her, is a part of her father's plan for expansion of the estate. But when Lady Maggie does not go along with her father's plans their beautiful world of Stonewycke is in danger of crashing down around them. Follow Maggie and her family on a ...more
Ebookwormy1
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
In a difficult season and desiring an easy read, I decided to pick up this title that I thoroughly enjoyed in my childhood. For three decades this book has been with me, but unlike Anne of Green Gables, Little Women and the many series of Bodie Thoene, which I regularly cycle through, I haven't read these in years. The time of reckoning had arrived. Did I still enjoy it enough to preserve it's place on the shelf? Or had it's time passed with my youth? I think you can probably tell by the star ...more
Jeni Enjaian
I read this book many years ago as either a middle schooler or underclassman in high school. I adored the book and entire series then. This remembered adoration helped me make the decision to skip these books when reading through my collection four years ago. I read many books by both of these authors since then and gradually became aware of the glaringly obvious shortcomings of their authorship. These shortcomings infected every book I read by them. I had no hope that these books would survive ...more
Lyndalou
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Seventeen-year-old Maggie Duncan is torn between her obligations as a dutiful daughter and her hatred of her father’s cruel pursuit of money and power. But on the boundary between childhood and womanhood, Maggie discovers it is not her father who stands in the way of her happiness -- it is her own tightly held bitterness. Drawn to a man quietly struggling to overcome his past, Maggie must learn to let go of hatred and embrace divine love and forgiveness. In The Heather Hills of Stonewycke two ...more
TiffanyLamp
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
I tried to read this. I really did. Then, "romance" sets in, followed by all the really strange scenarios played out and I found myself saying to myself, "This is far too heavy for the likes of me."

If you're a hopeless romantic and regularly read any romance novel you can get your hands on, this is the book for you! If you are looking for depth, something more than "let's get married and run away together, guy", please pass.
Lori
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I enjoyed both the writing style and characters in this book. I was looking for a light read where I wasn't required to figure out loose connections and subtle leads. This was perfect! It was a predictable Christian historical fiction romance. So, if you are looking for a book with a surprise ending look elsewhere.
Leah
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Pleasant enough, though not what I thought it would be. For some reason I had thought that it was set in the 1950s or later. No matter, it was enjoyable, if a bit preachy here and there. I would listen to more if the library had them, but I don't think it does. I might read them eventually, but it's not a priority.
Danielle
Aug 06, 2008 rated it liked it
This was another light read, something easy to listen to while doing other things. As it turns out, this is book 1 of 3 and the NetLibrary doesn't have the other 2 so I'll be wondering how it ends up for awhile I guess. I'm not too concerned about it because I'm not all that interested in the characters, save the herione, and I'll venture a guess that she ends up all right in the end ;-)
Shelli
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was okay. It went a little slow for me. I wish we could have see a little bit more of how Maggie's and Ians relationship developed into love, but it was a clean interesting story. It goes to show how important a father/daughter relationship is. I will wait awhile before I continue the story.
Lia
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Picked this up for a quarter at a used book sale and didn't really research past the tagline. It was alright, I typically dislike Christian romance books. The opening few chapters describing Stonewyke and the countryside were promising but the plot quickly devolved into simple, predictable soul searching. No plans on continuing with the trilogy.
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: high school and up
Shelves: 2012
I found this book outside a classroom in a book give away box. Understandably it was there. The writing is dated and formulaic. I think this series is out of print, and I don't plan on searching for the other two books. It does have the Gothic elements of creepy castle, evil father, and unsolved murder, but the story didn't keep me up at night.
Kirsten
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: most everyone
Shelves: enjoyed
Great first book to this series, very clean. I listened to the recorded books version with Davina Porter at the reader. I love her readings and that is how I found this series. I also love stories set in Scotland, they always win me over.
Phyllis C
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Young lovers find each other after each growing up in wealthy landowner families. Difficult family relationships create difficulties but they decide to marry anyway, planning to leave Scotland for America.
Fiona
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
It's at least 25years since I last read this book, which I loved as a teenager, and I did enjoy coming back to it once again. No, it will never be a classic, but it is a well crafted story that keeps you enthralled throughout, and is just a lovely way to pass an afternoon.
Wilani Wahl
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I loved the Scottish Barogue. I could feel as if I was transported to Scotland and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.
Robi
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I loved the story and the characters. It's the first of a trilogy which I thoroughly enjoyed!
Kw
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this and will read the sequels, as our amazing church library has them all! Love anything set in Scotland.
Jul 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Really enjoyed this and plan to read the other ones in this series!
Michelle
1860s Scottish setting is great--characters are very real--GREAT
Stonewycke Lovers♥: The Heather Hills of Stonewycke 16 13 Jul 20, 2013 02:40PM

• Heart of the Lonely Exile (Emerald Ballad #2)
  • The Wicked Redhead (The Wicked City #2)
  • Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2)
  • The Other Windsor Girl: A Novel of Princess Margaret, Royal Rebel
  • The Shunning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1)
  • The Girls with No Names
  • Timothy of the Cay (The Cay, #2)
  • Elsie Dinsmore (The Original Elsie Classics #1)
  • The Key to Zion (Zion Chronicles #5)
  • Land of a Thousand Dreams (Emerald Ballad #3)
  • A Daughter of Zion (Zion Chronicles #2)
  • A Part of the Sky
  • Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant, #5)
  • Dear James
  • The Return to Zion (Zion Chronicles #3)
  • Warsaw Requiem (Zion Covenant, #6)
  • War of the Moonrhymes (Singreale Chronicles #3)
  • A Light in Zion (Zion Chronicles #4)
Librarian Note: there is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database.

Michael Phillips has been writing in the Christian marketplace for 30 years. All told, he has written, co-written, and edited some 110 books. Phillips and his wife live in the U.S., and make their second home in Scotland.

Stonewycke Trilogy (3 books)
  • Flight from Stonewycke (Stonewycke, #2)
  • The Lady of Stonewycke (Stonewycke, #3)