Start by marking “Teaching Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom: Strategies and Techniques Every Teacher Can Use to Meet the Academic Needs of the Gifted and Talented” as Want to Read:

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  153 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
First published in 1992 and called the orange Bible by teachers, this revised and updated edition includes new chapters on the characteristics of gifted students and parenting gifted kids, expansion of strategies explained in the first edition, and new forms for teachers' use.
Published November 1st 2000 by Free Spirit Publishing (first published September 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom

Debbie
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers
Recommended to Debbie by: Gretchen Wolfe
Sadly, the students who will make the least progress during the school year are our gifted students. With all the energy that teachers spend trying to help our low-achieving students pass the ever more stressful mandated state tests, our high-achieving students can get left behind.

Winebrenner's wonderful resource can help teachers manage the wide range of ability levels in our classrooms, without spending every waking moment designing different lessons.

This should be in every teacher's classroo
Grace
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
One teacher calls it the 'orange bible'. School districts like it because it hold out the promise that they can provide 'a free and appropriate' education without spending one extra cent. This book is not the answer. You cannot expect a teacher with 34 students in the classroom to perform this miracle without extensive support.
Megan
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
This book has some great ideas for working with gifted students that are included in the regular education classroom. I've used some menu ideas that have worked well. Definitely a good resource to pull off the shelf when you need something a little more challenging.
jmjester
A friend recommended that I read this book, and I'm glad that I did. It has some interesting ideas, like the Most Difficult Question, which I plan on using.
Meggityb
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource
Lesley Lane
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent resource.
Michael Leerssen
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Susan has pulled together an amazing set of resources for working with the gifted child. My only drawback is that is almost too full. It become wordy and a haphazard at times. Mainly it is an editing issue. Some strategies deserved more time, but the author has tried to really pack a lot into one book. Conducted a book study on the text and general feedback was good. The resources she provides are what most took away. Few books come with as many applicable strategies and resources.

Definitely be
Joan
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A wonderful resource for teachers. Clear research and philosophy, but at a minimum. A plethora of examples and usable ideas to choose from. This read will significantly alter the way I address the wide range of needs and abilities and interests in my classroom. And best of all, it seems very straightforward and quite manageable... and that's empowering.
Danette
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
As a new teacher, I am always looking for ways to differentiate and challenge the gifted kids while still offering support to the kids who are struggling and making sure my class is on track for our state standards.

This book offered some strategies to make sure my gifted children are being challenged and that require less supervision from me. I will definately use some of these strategies.
Jen
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the resource on gifted students I go back to most often- it's filled with useful rubrics; graphic organizers and ideas.
Jodi
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great balance of philosophy and reason for differentiated curriculum, student profiles and useful strategies that will be easy to implement in the classroom.
Steve Z
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great resource to differentiate for any student in the classroom, but valuable ideas to meet the need of the Gifted learner.
Budd Turner
Mandatory reading in an implied mandatory Professional Development class to make our school more attractive.
Brooke Riley
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Excellent resource
Jen
Aug 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: GT teachers
Shelves: professional
One of the best teaching books I've read! So many ready to go ideas for a differentiated classroom. I will definitely be implementing some of her strategies this school year.
Marissa Morrison
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This should be required reading for every teacher. I really wish I'd been familiar with these methods at the start of my teaching career.
Jan 12, 2015
Jan 19, 2009
Cheron
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
great book to for the regular teacher with suggestions and examples for teaching gifted kids
Keri B
Audra Rowell
Amber
May 17, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Differentiating Instruction in the Regular Classroom: How to Reach and Teach All Learners, Grades 3-12
  • How to Differentiate Instruction in Mixed-Ability Classrooms
  • When Gifted Kids Don't Have All the Answers: How to Meet Their Social and Emotional Needs
  • Words, Words, Words: Teaching Vocabulary in Grades 4-12
  • Craft Lessons
  • Nonfiction Matters: Reading, Writing, and Research in Grades 3-8
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Genius Denied: How to Stop Wasting Our Brightest Young Minds

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99