Start by marking “The Word Made Flesh” as Want to Read:
The Word Made Flesh

The Word Made Flesh

The secret is in the bone. Yet Kevin Catalano's debut collection, The Word Made Flesh, palpates a primal recognition that the revelation is also in its sinews: the short short stories that possess a universe of knowing, yet also exquisite frailty, working in rhythmic concert to elevate the flawed human form. A system of symbolism, a machine of metaphor, The Word Made Flesh ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Firthforth Books

To ask other readers questions about The Word Made Flesh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Word Made Flesh

Start your review of The Word Made Flesh
Marlena
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
My first thoughts after finishing the book were "raw and primal". Kevin truly has a way with words, the imagery is tremendous. I was able to picture each scene easily and with great detail.

I was very excited to read this as I read Where The Sun Shines Out about a year ago and loved it as well. I'm looking forward to reading more of his work.
Andrea
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I liked Kevin Catalano’s first novel, Where the Sun Shines Out, well enough to seek this book out and I finally managed to find a copy. Interesting little stories. Dark and foreboding.
Ben Spivey
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I reviewed this book for The Small Press Book Review: http://thesmallpressbookreview.blogsp... ...more
Al Kratz
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Was happy to find this baby on a pile of TBR I had been ignoring for too long. Like I might have had this even before his novel came out.

Catalano style is sharp and genuine. Poetic and primal. Folks that didn’t like what happened to the dog in his first novel may not want to read this one either. This isn’t the run of the mill flash that can sometimes form to the middle. There isn’t a single first person story in here (if I remember right) but that doesn’t stop it from having an intense and per
Melissa
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Catalano is an exquisite writer; he has a precise eye for detail. This collection of short stories and flash fiction is written like poetry with poignant lines and vivid imagery, and the repeating characters are painted honestly, further keeping the reader's attention. The stories involving Mark and the boy were by far the best. The mythical, biblical elements of this work bring the ethereal to the ground floor, reminding us to "pay attention to the bone. The secret's there."
Joe Starnes
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read this before it was published, which is why I said it "pulsates with complex, rich, and vividly drawn characters, their stories told in an evocative voice that surprises and thrills in a brew of noir and poetry and poignant scenes. These are short stories but long on talent. Read this book and put it on your shelf and hold space for more. It marks the debut of a supremely gifted writer."
Nancy
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Kevin's command of language and his sensory detail are compelling in this collection of short and very short stories. This last is oversimplification of the impact of this work. Seriously excellent writing here.
Clifford
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Don't let the length fool you. Often in concision there is density of meaning, and that's the case in this thin volume. I'll have more to say about it soon, but for now--recommended.
Theresa Way
Jan 13, 2020
Kevin Catalano
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Queen's Ferry Press
Apr 11, 2020
Meghan
Jan 10, 2013
Angela
rated it did not like it
Dec 16, 2014

• Tell Me Lies
  • Dolphin's First Day: The Story of a Bottlenose Dolphin
  • The Devil Made Me Do It
  • Steel Toes: A Novel
  • No One Cares About Crazy People: The Chaos and Heartbreak of Mental Health in America
  • Daughter of Moloka'i (Moloka'i, #2)
  • When She Returned
  • Stranger Than Kindness
  • Trouble Is What I Do
  • The Magician
  • Speak No Evil
  • Finding Tess: A Mother's Search for Answers in a Dopesick America
  • Hollywood: A Third Memoir
  • Forward Collection
Kevin Catalano's debut novel, Where the Sun Shines Out, was published by Skyhorse in October of 2017. His first book of short stories, Deleted Scenes and Other Bonus Features, comes out in April of 2020 from Stephen F. Austin University Press. Other work has appeared in places like PANK, storySouth, Booth, Gargoyle Magazine, Fanzine, and Aethlon: a Journal of Sport Literature. He got his MFA from ...more

News & Interviews