Start by marking “This Spectred Isle: A Journey through Haunted England” as Want to Read:
This Spectred Isle: A Journey through Haunted England

This Spectred Isle: A Journey through Haunted England

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The walls of Clifford's Tower bleed. Thomas, Earl of Lancaster stalks Dunstanburgh Castle carrying the mangled head which Edward II's bungling executioner took eleven strokes to sever. The Rollright Stones possess a strange force that can fling you to the ground and confuse the mind. The brooding towers of Reculver echo with the cries of a baby sacrificed by the Romans. Wh ...more
Published December 1st 2005 by Historic England Press (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about This Spectred Isle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Spectred Isle

Catherine Mason
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought it was a good idea to read this in the weeks coming up to hallowe'en. I read it at night in bed. It really creeped me out. Both the text and the photos were scary, especially the photos where it was possible to make out dubious shapes and unpleasant light effects. The foreword and the text were silly and credulous sometimes, but if you can get over that, it makes a fun, spooky read. You will also learn some history and myth concerning England.
D.
Aug 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book of black and white photos of haunted or historical sites in the British Isles, with accompanying text about the legends or history of each. The photos are amazing. The book is basically an updated version of a book I was obsessed with as a kid, The Haunted Realm. I used to check it out from the library every autumn. I was heartbroken when I tried to buy it years later and it was out of print...and thrilled to buy this instead!
J-me
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ookie-spooky, i-own
Anything by Marsden is amazing! He is a photographer not a writter although he is more than capable as a writter. The photographs are atmospheric and beautiful. These are the books I hunt and collect so if you come across any I dont have let me know.
Deanne
Read this with interest, but I was a little dissappointed that neither Leicestershire or Nottinghamshire was mentioned.
Jules
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A quality book written by Mr Marsden, fantastic infrared photography! Creepy...
Abby
Oct 28, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an enjoyable mix of striking photography and short histories of the many haunted places in England. A fun browsing book.
Ilze