Start by marking “Peace” as Want to Read:
Peace

Peace

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  294 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Aristophanes' Peace was performed at the City Dionysia in Athens in 421 B.C. as a decade-long war with Sparta seemed finally to be drawing to an end, and is one of only eleven extant plays by the greatest Old Comic poet. Olson's edition of the play, which replaces Platnauer's of 1969, is based on a complete new collation of the manuscripts, many of which have never been ad ...more
hardback, 408 pages
Published February 25th 1999 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peace

Bruce
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aristophanes staged this Old Comedy in Athens in 421 BCE when the Peloponnesian War was still dragging on and the Athenian citizens were exhausted and war-weary. Their leader Creon, the butt of much of Aristophanes’ satire in his previous works, had just died. The play anticipated and celebrated the peace which seemed to be just over the horizon, but it also emphasized the societal splits and ambivalences on the parts of the state who had vested interests in keeping the conflict going.

Trygaeus,
Hend
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Trygaeus, a middle-aged Athenian, miraculously brings about a peaceful end to the Peloponnesian War,thereby earning the gratitude of farmers
He celebrates his triumph by marrying Harvest, a companion of Festival and Peace.....
Nathaniel Michael
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was hilarious. I didn't expect "breaking the fourth wall" to be such an old humor technique. Aristophanes used it quite well. I was also impressed with the opening. He managed to create interest in the story and questions in the mind of the reader by focusing on peripheral concerns rather than the main steps of the plot and even the main statements Aristophanes was making. Peace just became one of my new favorite plays and I haven't even seen it performed.
J.M.
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: drama, greek, satire
So weird. So crude. Full of scatological humor, and Aristophanes ripping on Euripides, making fun of the gods, raising up wine and sex and other such fun as antidotes or alternatives to war. I can respect the pacifist angle, and there were some funny lines, but this one mostly just seemed silly.

So concludes December of Drama, week 1: the Greeks! Watch this space.
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: greek-drama
The Peace is about a man called Trygaeus who ends a war by talking to the gods, who bring out Peace; upon ending the war, the gods reward him by letting him marry Harvest, who will bring prosperity to farmers such as himself. The plot is really just that simple.

Now, a lot of other elements make this play really good instead of just a typical play. Firstly, a lot of Aristophanes' bitterness towards politics always seem to shine through, no matter what the play is about. This play is no exception
Edward Cheer
It's been a while since I've read some Aristophanes, and god... what a play to read after such a hiatus.

Peace tell the story of a lowly master, Trygaeus, as he ascends to heaven on a massive beetle and gets Hermes to help him free Peace, to unknown consequences.

Beyond the slightly decent commentary on peace versus war and the importance of both in a nation, the play's story just meanders everywhere without any drive for me to hang onto in order to stay invested. That, and the characters are just
Perry Whitford
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's incredible that as recently as 1960 the comedian Peter Cook could cause a stir by publicly ridiculing the British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan as he sat in the audience of the Beyond the Fringe show when you consider what Aristophanes, fully two thousand years beforehand, used to do to the great and good of Athenian society in his astonishingly caustic and pointed plays.

In Peace, as elsewhere, his main target is the autocratic Cleon, who he insults mercilessly throughout here, first obli
Peter J.
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Not quite as good as other works from Aristophanes. It seems he foolishly pushes the value of a peace built upon carousing and letchery over the often important causes that drive wars. This is similar to the stupid pacifist arguments commonly encountered today. "Why fight when there is so much physical pleasure to be had." This view is childish. We all love pleasure, but sometimes innocent people need to be defended from the excessive, self-centered pleasures of others.
Mohamed El-Mahallawy
لا شك أن الكوميديا التي تستطيع إنتزاع البسمة منك يجب ان تكون متفاعلة مع زمنك ، صعب جداً ان تُشاهد الآن فيلم كوميدي قديم كنت تضحك عليه وقتها ، ثم تستمر في الضحك الآن ، الإنسان يتغير بمفاهيمه وعقليته ويؤثر عليه الزمن الذي يعيشه ، يُقال إنها مسرحية كوميدية ولكني لم أضحك ، وربما لم أبتسم :)) ولكنها ذات قيمة مغلفة ...
يظهر مضمونها في النهاية بان السلام "حلم" مستحيل التحقيق ، إهانة للجيوش والكرامة الخاصة بالبلاد
هذا طبعاً غير إهانة الإغريقيين المستمرة لآلهاتهم كعادتهم ، ولكنها لذيذة .
Dmk
Jan 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm quite a fan of Aristophanes, but this one is just a big failure. Begining seems promising, fly on the big beetle to meet gods.... but some promises aren't fulfilled, such as this one.
Soon after nice begining, this play becomes just a mess created out of loosely connected scenes that lacks humour and are filled with wierd allusions and references so their often unreadable.
Sebastián
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
De las mejores de Aristófanes. El aspecto que la Paz esté encerrada, que Polemos ocasione disputas, que Hermes participe hacen ya de la obra una maravilla. El aspecto estructural del texto está bien ensamblado y las menciones políticas atinadas. El héroe es cómico como tal y su propósito se adhiere al beneficio colectivo.
Mandy.
Nov 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
No me he enterado de nada.

Las múltiples referencias de Aristófanes a la situación política de ese momento, las burlas hacia otros dramaturgos y los juegos de palabras (que pierden un poco el significado tras los siglos y las diversas traducciones), creo que quedan bastante obsoletas en el presente siglo. En mi opinión, la tragedia griega ha evolucionado bastante mejor que la comedia.
VANY
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clássicos, gregos
epá este gajo só escreve sobre merda, literalmente.
Caleb Smith
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cool. Full nudity in staging directions. Sex. Flying dung beetles. I'm still in awe of this and all the other Greek dramas.
Neens Bea
Nov 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 2016
Thank goodness the free e-book is annotated! A lot of the comedy is lost in time and translation - and due to my ignorance. (Note to self: must learn more about Ancient Greece.)
Courtney
Aristophanes
The Complete Plays of Aristophanes

In compilation only.
Irene
rated it did not like it
Jun 22, 2014
Lloyd Hughes
Nov 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Andromache
  • Eumenides (Ορέστεια, #3)
  • Legends of Charlemagne
  • Daring Spectacle: Adventures in Deviant Journalism
  • The Gentle Grafter
  • Women of Trachis
  • The Dyskolos
  • The Satyricon and The Apocolocyntosis
  • The Rebel's Silhouette: Selected Poems
Aristophanes (Greek: Αριστοφάνης; c. 446 BCE – c. 386 BCE) was a playwright of ancient Athens.

About 11 of his works are known in full, and they are the only plays of the "Old Comedy" style to have survived. They are The Acharnians, The Birds, The Clouds, The Ecclesiazusae, The Frogs, The Knights, Peace, Plutus (Wealth), The Thesmophoriazusae, and The Wasps. These plays have been translated into m
More about Aristophanes...

“If it is necessary for us to do anything [in view of peace], direct us and architect.

πρὸς τάδ’ ἡμῖν, εἴ τι χρὴ δρᾶν, φράζε κἀρχιτεκτόνει.”
0 likes
“HERMES Meseems I can sniff a man. (HE PERCEIVES TRYGAEUS ASTRIDE HIS BEETLE.) Why, what plague is this? TRYGAEUS A horse-beetle. HERMES Oh! impudent, shameless rascal! oh! scoundrel! triple scoundrel! the greatest scoundrel in the world! how did you come here? Oh! scoundrel of all scoundrels! your name? Reply. TRYGAEUS Triple scoundrel. HERMES Your country? TRYGAEUS Triple scoundrel. HERMES Your father? TRYGAEUS My father? Triple scoundrel. HERMES By the Earth, you shall die, unless you tell me your name. TRYGAEUS I am Trygaeus of the Athmonian deme, a good vine-dresser, little addicted to quibbling and not at all an informer. HERMES Why do you come? TRYGAEUS I come to bring you this meat. HERMES Ah! my good friend, did you have a good journey? TRYGAEUS Glutton, be off! I no longer seem a triple scoundrel to you. Come, call Zeus. HERMES” 0 likes