Start by marking “The Encylopedia of Immaturity” as Want to Read:
The Encylopedia of Immaturity

The Encylopedia of Immaturity

(The Encylopedia of Immaturity #1)

The ultimate how-not-to-grow-up guide. The Encyclopedia of Immaturity contains more than 300 entries: How to Skip a Stone, How to Do a Wheelie, How to Hang a Spoon from Your Nose, How to Really Annoy Your Older Sibling Have fun
Published August 1st 2007 by Scholastic Inc. (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Encylopedia of Immaturity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Encylopedia of Immaturity

Talia
Jan 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: j-nonfic
My first thought upon seeing this title was "They made a book just for me!" After I started "reading", I was a tad disappointed. This activity book, made by the Klutz Company, features tricks such as how to make a penny bridge, using trick photography, and how to do the old 'salt in the sugar dispenser' gag. If you've ever lost sleep at night wishing you could improve your armpit fart technique, look no further.

However, about halfway through, I realized that this book is supposed to be stupid!
Sarah Ritter
Klutz. (2007). The encyclopedia of immaturity: How to never grow up. United States: Scholastic.

Citation by: Sarah Ritter
Reference Type: Encyclopedia
DDCN: 790.1

Scope/Content: The purpose of this book is to teach kids, well, all the "kid stuff" like pop a wheelie, annoy their sibling, skip a stone, and hang upside down from the monkey bars.

Accuracy/Authority/Bias: Scholastic is a well-known and trusted publisher. The entries are for fun and are geared towards kids but not biased in terms of gend
Ryan
Aug 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids-at-heart
Recommended to Ryan by: Leslie
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
What can you say about a book like this? First, why would an adult read it? Well, my wife (a teacher) said it would be a great resource for her to have for her 6th graders, but for me, it was simply a useful text to add to my own bag of tricks. Of course, I wouldn't say it had that many revolutionary or even slightly clever tricks and gags, but out of over 400 pages, I probably found at least 2 dozen ideas that I'm going to file away for future use. What kind of future use, you may ask? Well, fo ...more
Rebecca
Apr 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Chris W.
Recommended to Rebecca by: Susan
Heh heh heh. One of the most fun books I've ever taken into a middle school. Even though most of them ALREADY know how to make an armpit fart, make chin people, and make a tabletop football or a fortune teller out of folded paper. For us boring grown-ups, an instruction manual for such things is a trip down memory lane. Also, I must admit that I like this better than the recent glut of boy/girl nostalgia/childhood trickery books. Great gift book if you're an aunt or uncle and won't have to deal ...more
Eric
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pretty much anyone I feel comfortable around.
I was thrilled to open this on Christmas morning. I learned later that my wife had debated whether to give this to me or save it for our 12-year-old nephew. I am honored that she felt I was most deserving.

This book teaches you how to do all sorts of immature things for laughs (usually just your own laughs). Examples: "How to Kick a Toilet Plunger Field Goal" and "How to Snort a Rubber Band." While there are many ideas in this book that have garnered me room silences for many years, there are als
Adelinep
The encyclopedia of immaturity

Do you never want to grow up? Do you like pulling pranks? Do you need some fun in your life? Then open up the encyclopedia of immaturity!! I love this book. I bring it to sleep overs for none stop fun. It has everything! It even has the dumbest trick on earth!! Ok, so you mite think it is a little long(over 400 hundred pages) but you will zip right threw it, and you will do it again and again! If you have nothing to do pull out this book full of laughs. (I fell o
tor
Oct 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
Ok so, first of all, I think that out of most of these reviewers, I am the one for which this book was made for. I got this book when it first came out and I was 10. I didn't know how to do even the most crappiest pranks. Let me just say that, parents, you should teach your children how to do pranks, because I swear to God, there are barely any more prankster children.

Anyway... this book was a gateway. It was awesome. It was funny. Hello, people, it's Klutz who made it! That's practically a 'yes
Lynn
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My nine-year-old daughter and I have had so much fun with the activities in this book. The Encyclopedia of Immaturity is filled with pranks, tricks, useless skills, and so much fun.

With this great book as a resource growing up really is an option we can ignore.

Best of all, most of the pranks are harmless and not too messy. If you are not careful, you might even learn a little practical math, science, and language skills.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who believes life is too fun to take
Vicky
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not normally something I would read, but did so whilst checking suitability for our Junior School Library. Lots of fun things included which will appeal to both boys and girls, such as How to Shake Ankles, Hang This Spoon from your Nose, and How to Break Your Neck. Such fun.... I've always wanted to Learn to Juggle, so will learn all about it on Page 296. I doubt this book will ever be on the shelves.
Edison
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is great. It's basically a bunch of random things to do that are "immature". There are also a'lot of jokes and stories. I picked this book up and couldn't put it down. It has a bunch of activities and such. One of my specifically favorite activities is the "Spin a pencil around your thumb", Mostly because I can do it. I really recommend this book to people have some time on their hands. Not a reason to not read it.
Debbie
Oct 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
Chock full of silly pranks and factoids that you just can't live without. I mean, really, how can a person be successful in life without knowing the correct procedure for shaking ankles or hanging a spoon from their nose?

Highly entertaining and recommended for all age groups, especially those who take themselves too seriously!
Jane
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
How to make duct tape underpants and send secret rubber band messages.
I am generally wary of and resentful towards practical jokes. However after buying this book for my 9 year old son, I realized there are alot of fun, entertaining and creative ways to lovingly annoy your friends and family. Embrace your inner rascal.
Jack
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Encyclopedia of Immaturity by Klutz Magazine
this book has hundreds of fun and immature things to do in it.

I like it because most of the stuff you think you can do but its harder than it looks.
Lesley
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic book for kids. My girls (8 and 11) continually go through it and find silly things, or goofy ways to entertain themselves. I will definitely buy volume 2. Can't go wrong with this book!
Jim
Aug 01, 2011 added it
A great way to stay in touch with your inner child & avoid growning up. Growing up is highly overrated anyway. Even with the x-ray pictures as a guide to proper finger placement in your mouth, I still can't manage to make that loud whistle by sticking a couple of fingers in your mouth. Drat!
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids and kids at heart
A very funny read, some tongue-in-cheek... some of the ideas and activites can work well in a classroom and some I would NEVER do in a classroom. My 13-year old nephew also read it and enjoyed it as much as I did (maybe even more).
Cristina
Mar 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A very entertaining book. Worth five stars.
Let's face it; who can get tired of endless games of Punch-Buggy?
This has to be the perfect book for the kid-at-heart type, or for somebody who just wants to have fun.
~Cristique
Julia
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is HILARIOUS!!! It is a book by Klutz that has a number of activities and funny pages. This book was AWESOME!!! I pick it up and read it all the time.
Brooke
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fun stuff for the kids.
Mars'stacos
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It's the answer to all your problems!!!! except getting out of trouble.
Sydney23
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome!
Hannah
Jan 13, 2008 marked it as to-read
DO YOU WANT TO GET ME A BIRTHDAY PRESENT?!? FEB 14!!!
Princess Katie, the Random Hot Pink Minotaur
STill wicked awesome!!!
Moira
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
everyone must grow old but growing up is an option
Katarina
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's a fun book full of activities and ways to prank your friends.
Hannah
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Its the best, and one of my favorites :) It has a lot of useful information ;)
Lindsay
Jun 11, 2009 marked it as to-read
I told 7 people at the book fair to buy this book. When I brought my money to school to buy it, they were all gone. Turns out EVERYONE I recommended it to bought it!
Charlie Toller
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
too good to be true
Marlene
Oct 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all of my friends on goodreads!
This book is totally hilarious. It's just a big book of cool things to do and pranks. It also teaches you how to make a ring out of money. I luv it! it's soooo cool! The stuff really works!
Kim
Mar 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Kim by: Cathy C.
This is the perfect book for the 10-12yo set, you know, the ones who, if they had been growing up in the '70s, would have been reading Dynamite Magazine.
hilarious 2 14 Aug 04, 2011 11:02AM

• Big Wig: A Little History of Hair
  • Ick! Yuck! Eew!: Our Gross American History
  • Weird but True! 5: 300 Outrageous Facts
  • Poop Happened!: A History of the World from the Bottom Up
  • The Quest for the Tree Kangaroo: An Expedition to the Cloud Forest of New Guinea
  • Pup at the Palace (Animal Ark Summer Special, #4)
  • Turkey Trouble on the National Mall (Capital Mysteries, #14)
  • The Zombie Project
  • Radical Reflections: Passionate Opinions on Teaching, Learning, and Living
  • Hamish X and the Cheese Pirates
  • Knights of the Ruby Wand (The Secrets of Droon, #36)
  • The Periodic Table: Elements with Style! (Basher Science)
  • Blockhead: The Life of Fibonacci
  • The Dragon's Child: A Story of Angel Island
  • Panda Kindergarten
  • How to Rule the World: A Handbook for the Aspiring Dictator
  • The Story of Buildings: From the Pyramids to the Sydney Opera House and Beyond
  • Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Handbook for College Teachers
Klutz is a publishing company started in Palo Alto, California in 1977 and acquired by Scholastic Inc. in 2002. The first Klutz book was a how-to guide titled Juggling for the Complete Klutz, which came provided with juggling beanbags attached in a mesh bag. The book was created by three friends who graduated from Stanford University: Darrell Lorentzen, John Cassidy, and B.C. Rimbeaux. Since then ...more

The Encylopedia of Immaturity (2 books)
  • The Encyclopedia of Immaturity: Volume 2