Start by marking “The Strain, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Strain, Volume 1

The Strain, Volume 1

(The Strain #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,623 ratings  ·  127 reviews
When a Boeing 777 lands at JFK International Airport and goes dark on the runway, the Center for Disease Control, fearing a terrorist attack, calls in Dr. Ephraim Goodweather and his team of expert biological-threat first responders. Only an elderly pawnbroker from Spanish Harlem suspects a darker purpose behind the event--an ancient threat intent on covering mankind in da ...more
Published November 13th 2012 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about The Strain, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Strain, Volume 1

really liked it 4.00  ·

Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Can't help but be reminded of Vampire Chronicles and more recently, Justin Cronin's "The passage" trilogy. It's decent - just wish that Nora was more than the coworker that Ephraim occasionally has sex with :/

And must EVERY post-apocalyptic story have to have some dumb bit with an estranged son and a divorced wife?!?
Jeannette Nikolova
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

*** 3.5 stars ***

This comic book was definitely a pleasant and unexpected surprise! I've been hearing about the show for years, ever since it started. But it came out at a point when I didn't want to watch anything new, so I was cautious.

I'm so glad that I have the book a chance. It was really nice, interesting, well illustrated, and with so much potential.

The story itself is nothing too astonishing, in terms of mythology. As in, it doesn't come up wi
Timothy Ward
I watched the TV version first, which I thought was pretty good. For someone looking for a fix between The Walking Dead seasons, this is better than most options, though I couldn't help wanting to yell at the screen for how people waited around for the vampires to eat them. The comic is almost identical to what we saw on TV, if a bit shorter. The story's strongest element is the father scientist who struggles with his duty to career with his duty as father. I really empathized with that, though ...more
Lakis Fourouklas
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Strain Volume 1 is a graphic novel that combines the genres of traditional vampire literature and ancient folklore in order to deliver a modern day tale of horror and nonstop action.

This is an adaptation of the first novel in the Strain Trilogy by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan, or maybe not exactly so, as the authors point out in their introduction.

"This is not an illustrated version of our novels. This is a graphic retelling: a visual translation and a definitive one. As such, we asked
Kate
A CDC doctor is called to help investigate a landed airplane at JFK, there has been no contact with the plane since landing and it is up to Ephraim Goodweather and his team to respond to what is thought to be a biological terrorist attack. What they find on board may be the end of mankind.

I really enjoyed the story with this one, especially the folklore, the origins of the virus and how Abraham came to do battle with the vamps. The volume does a great job in setting up relevant back story and ch
أحمد
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Vampire stories just don't get old. Not with Guillermo Del Toro anyway. "The Strain" is a graphic novel adaptaion of a "Not-So-Bram-Stoker's-Dracula" vampire story. Things started to look really interesting since the very first pages, with this ominous illustration of Sardu; The Original Vampire:
I haven't watched the series and I guess I won't like it as much as the comics, specially with art like this.
11811 (Eleven)
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I haven't read the novels or seen the TV series but now I want to.
Sooraya Evans
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great pencil work as well as color scheme.
As a huge fan of the TV series, I personally vote the mystery surrounding the plane as one of the best openings to a story ever. The Strain has an interesting take on the vampire genre (million times better than Twilight).
The vampire design however, reminded me a lot of the 'reapers' from the Blade 2 movie (with their long tongue thingy).
Can't wait to get my hands on Volume 2.
Latasha
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked it. If your watching the show it's the same. Nothing new but still good.
Dark Faerie Tales
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: This horror filled encounter is more than just the biological attack, it’s far more dark and dangerous they believe.

Opening Sentence: Once upon a time… there was a giant.

The Review:

I applaud this recent trend of re-imagining a popular novel and expressing it through the graphic novel format. It not only offers a visual representation of beloved characters for established fans, but also provides an easy and convenient look into a book that so
John Costello
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scanned-books
Brilliant adaptation of the novel
Paul Nelson
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not the best vampires I've ever seen, I'd love to know where you would keep a 6 foot long tongue.
Elia
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampires
These are the grossest looking vampires I have seen in a while, but they are of course based on a concept by Guillermo del Toro, so there you go.
This take on the vampire myth begins as all the old folklore begins - in a spooky village in Romania. The story jumps around in time taking us to the early 1930's, Nazi Germany and into the present day in New York city, which is where the real meat of the story takes place - a plane lands at one of the country's busiest airports and not one person gets
Christopher
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Not sure if it's because the story is better suited to the medium of comics, or if it's just that David Lapham is a better writer than Chuck Hogan (probably a little from Column A and a little from Column B), but I really liked this adaptation of Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro's hugely disappointing novel. Of course, the first book is by far the strongest of the trilogy, and this adaptation only covers the first half of that installment (which begins much stronger than it ends), so maybe I just ha ...more
Nessie McInness
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've been interested in the strain since the TV show came out (I have to thank Samwise Gamgee for it, as he was the reason I started watching it). I have since bought the book and started collecting the issues for the current Strain series.
I wanted to do things properly and save the current issues for after I read the older ones. And I finally got volume 1!
I really liked the TV show until about halfway through. There was a lot of what felt like filling, Samwise Gamgee died and then I still watc
Sam H
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the unusual story which has been told many times of a virus being released into a country and two people struggle to be believed and solve the virus before it spreads. The art work in this graphic novel is good although the art work between chapters is exceptional and really make the book. There are parts of the story that are a little unbelievable none more so than the speed that the main character accepts the explanation for what is going on.

The story flows well and keeps the reader e
Maggie
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Listening to the audiobook right now and loving it, but seeing the illustrations of the horror that's happening is a bit too much for me! Good story, though, and it follows the original novel almost exactly... I wish they'd released it as one long graphic, though, instead of splitting it up. The artwork (apart from being sometimes disturbing) is intriguing and foreboding.
Katbyrdie
I was unable to finish the netgalley copy I received, but I loved the part I read. What a great adaptation of the original into graphic novel form. It brought a whole new element to the brand and I can't wait to buy a copy and finish it. How rare is it for something to work so beautifully in all forms of media?
TheGeekyBlogger
Oct 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Read for Fun (Library Book)
Overall Rating: 3.75
Story Rating: 3.50
Graphics Rating: 4.00

First Thought when Finished: The Strain by David Lapham was one of my first ever graphic novels. While I admit I wanted just a tad bit more story, the graphics were amazing. It was visually stunning!

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, Done Reviews
William Fuentes
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
It was okay. Nice artwork...
Tenisha
Sep 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Very well done. It's quite different from the show and that keeps the story fresh and interesting.
Bernie Gourley
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I sometimes wonder what Bram Stoker would think about the fact that his work spurred an entire industry of copy-cats. Everybody thinks that they can make an interesting and novel contribution to this vampiric genre. In very few cases, see: Richard Matheson’s I am Legend, they are correct. However, even though most of these works don’t take us into uncharted territory, they can still be entertaining. In fact, some of the versions that stay true to the concept seem more entertaining than others th ...more
Mafalda Fernandes

Creepy and Gory covers. Volume 1 has the 1st to the 11th issue of this comic. I started reading it knowing that was about vampires and some sort of pandemic virus. I was also curious because the original book is written by Guillermo del Toro (and Chuck Hogan's - The Strain ). Before finishing the volume 1 I've also saw the first episode of the TV-show/series.

I love the artwork. One issue I have with many comics and graphic novels is beautiful covers and not so pleasing artwork on the inside. But
Ea Solinas
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nobody would expect Guillermo del Toro -- genius filmmaker of things dark, grotesque and fantastical -- to make drooping romanticized vampires.

So we got the Strain trilogy, a gloriously grotesque, apocalyptic tale of vampires attacking the US. And like a lot of bestselling books, "The Strain" is getting a comic book series -- while it's a little disjointed for a comic book series, the solid art and brilliantly horrifying vampires make it a riveting experience. Half gut-clenching horror, half pol
Jessica
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Now that I've had time to calm down from my earlier excitement over this graphic novel, I think I'm finally ready to review it. Being totally honest, I'm a sucker for all things vampire related. Wait, no. That's not entirely true. I don't do sparkly vampires. Ever. Everything else is fair game though, and I especially love when something new and different comes along. Which is why I was so excited over The Strain. I had no idea this was a book first, but based off the cover art alone I knew I wa ...more
Michelle
Having read the entire series when the books were first released, this reading of the graphic novel was nothing more than an opportunity to see the story in pictures, as Guillermo Del Toro imagined it to be as he was writing the novels. Anyone else looking to do the same will not be disappointed. Similarly, fans of horror will find much to love about the graphic rendering of this creepy story.

It must be stated that while Del Toro himself calls this a vampire story, the illustrations prove withou
Tricia Skinner
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Review also appears on the Geeks In High School blog.

I've been checking out a number of genres lately, but the one that seems to handle my cravings for horror are graphic novels. Big, bold and bad to the bone, graphic novels are meaty, adult, and entertaining. The Strain by David Lapham was a fun (yes, horror can be fun) read that should appeal to people who enjoy vampire stories that don't include sparkling, or gorgeous but tortured protagonists.

Like the blurb says, a plane lands at New York's
sixthreezy
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan's The Strain is easily one of my favorite books of all-time, and had it not been for that book I probably wouldn't be back into reading as much as I am now. I always wanted to read vampire fiction when I was a teenager but I couldn't ever find something that appealed to me as a boy, or as a younger reader. I'm not a fan of fancy language, nor romances, so it's hard to find something like that in the vampire genre. I read the book merely based off the fact that ...more
Brittney
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
When it comes to the modern reader, we expect new and innovative concepts and narratives that both excite and sometimes terrify. Unfortunately The Strain by David Lapham doesn’t deliver any of that. Featuring a narrative that has almost become a trope in the horror genre, and a bland artistic style that any comic enthusiast has seen a thousand times before, The Strain was just too boring to offer up any scares.

The plot follows what has become known as the “plague story,” visible in movies like 2
Rob
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
THE STRAIN is a solid vampire thriller and is excellent in graphic novel form. Some reviewers have complained that the story is cliche, and to some extent they are right in that THE STRAIN is not completely original -- it is a story clearly in the tradition of Stoker's DRACULA.

The tale begins with a plane landing in at the JFK with its crew and passengers mysteriously dead and a coffin full of dirt stowed away in its cargo hold -- a scene that pays homage to Count Dracula's infamous landing in
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mind the Gap, Volume 3: Out of Bodies
  • Colder, Vol. 1
  • The Hollows (Hollowland Graphic Novel)
  • Cities in Dust (Wasteland #1)
  • Daybreak
  • The Bunker, Vol. 1 (The Bunker #1-4)
  • The Massive, Vol. 1: Black Pacific

• The Strain, Volume 3: The Fall
  • The Strain, Volume 4: The Fall
  • The Strain, Volume 5: The Night Eternal
  • The Strain, Volume 6: The Night Eternal
  • Mister Quinlan - Vampire Hunter (The Strain)