Start by marking “The Doctor and the Rough Rider (Weird West Tales, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Doctor and the Rough Rider (Weird West Tales, #3)

The Doctor and the Rough Rider

(Weird West Tales #3)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  218 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
It's August 19, 1884. The consumptive Doc Holliday is preparing to await his end in a sanitarium in Leadville, Colorado, when the medicine man Geronimo enlists him on a mission. The time the great chief has predicted has come, the one white man with whom he's willing to treat has crossed the Mississippi and is heading to Tombstone - a young man named Theodore Roosevelt. Th ...more
Published December 4th 2012 by Pyr (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Doctor and the Rough Rider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doctor and the Rough Rider

The Shayne-Train
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This series just keeps getting better!

Continuing the staticpunk storyline of alt-history Wild West awesomeness, this book sees Doc Holliday join forces with a young Theodore Roosevelt to combat what basically boils down to a Balrog of shamanistic Indian magic. Do you think that sounds amazing? Well, it reads even better!

description
YOU SHALL NOT PASS (up the chance to read this great series)

I'm actually feeling a little sad that there is only one more book remaining in this series. But the next one has dino
Deborah
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I would only recommend the first book, the Buntline Special. This one was not as good and there were some very serious continuity problems.
David
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
This entry in the alternate history of Doc Holliday demonstrates that a good idea does not a good novel make. Sorry, Mr. Resnick, I respect a great deal of your work but this one just goes on a slow slide from poorly written to badly written.

First, the only characters that are carefully drawn at all are Holliday and Roosevelt. Edison and Buntline are nothing more that foils and a little Deus ex Machina to move the story along more quickly.

Second, there is an abundance of anachronistic dialogue.
Graham Bradley
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great installment in a highly entertaining series. It slowed down a bit in the third act for some technical stuff, which got a little repetitive. Roosevelt, Edison, and Buntline were working out how to fight War Bonnet, the monster on the cover. But other than that, it had Resnick's signature wit and style. I'm jazzed for book 4.
Racheal Paquette
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ah!!! I can't believe there is only one more book!!! I loved this one! A great addition to the series!
Mark Drew
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
The story is entertaining enough; but, like the pulp writers who were paid a penny a word, the dialogue is padded and often painfully redundant.
Robin
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Once again, I departed from my usual practice of reading series of books in publication order when I found this interesting concept in a thrift store: an alternate-history fantasy jamming Native American magic together with steampunk technology in the Wild West. Deep breath. It features Thomas Edison and Ned Buntline as a pair of inventors lighting up the streets of Tombstone, Arizona, among the likes of Bat Masterson and Doc Holliday. And it's the third of (so far) four books in The Weird West ...more
Lynn
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Today's post is on The Doctor and The Rough Rider by Mike Resnick. It is the third in his Weird West Tales and is published by PYR. It is 302 pages long including six appendixes with additional information about the real people in the story. The intended reader is someone who has read the other books in the series, so if you want to read this book start with The Buntline Special. There is no sex in this book but language and violence like any good western no matter how weird; I think that older
Dark Matter
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This and more reviews, interviews etc on Dark Matter Zine, an online magazine. http://www.darkmatterzine.com. This review was written by Rebecca Muir for Dark Matter Zine.

The Doctor and the Rough Rider is another Weird West Tale by Mike Resnick. It portrays the Wild West of American history with a few twists and a lot of artistic licence. Magic is a very real part of the landscape, shaping the events of the Frontier.

All the characters in this book are taken from history. The main character in th
Laurie
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I’m not sure if this novel was meant to be for young adults (it was shelved in the adult section at the library) but it reads more YA than it does adult. It’s a steampunk western (think Wild, Wild West) using several historic figures- Theodore Roosevelt, Thomas Edison, Doc Holliday, Ned Buntline, Bat Masterson, and Geronimo- but in a very different North America. In Resnick’s version, the USA stops at the Mississippi River, held back by Native American magic. Some whites are allowed west of the ...more
Caitlin
Feb 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Book 3 of the Weird West Tales.

Doc Holliday is expecting to die of consumption in a sanitarium, but while he's ready to wait for the end, the world isn't done asking things of him yet. The medicine man Geronimo, one of the powerful people keeping the the United States in check. But he's decided he'll take down the magic wall--for one man only.

That man is Theodore Roosevelt, a promising young man who's going places. But the tribes that Geronimo used to side with know he's changed his mind, and t
Meran
This is the third book in the series, an alternative history of the Old West, which also includes steampunkish equipment made by Ned Buntline and Edison.

Doc Holliday, Thomas Edison, and Ned Buntline are joined in this novel by Theodore Roosevelt (just after the death of his first wife) in a new adventure involving Goyathlay (Geronimo). This time, Geronimo is cooperating with the famous men in attempting to open the lands west of the Mississippi to colonization by the US.

There was a lot of unnece
Nadan
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
The Doctor and the Rough Rider by Mike Resnick is as it says, a weird west tale. I personally just look at the cover of the book and if it looks cool, I read it. I was so disappointed because I thought looking at the cover there will be a lot of actions but only a small actions here and there and had a "big" action at the end. I also did not like how the author made the main character. Throughout the book he talks about how the main character is getting old so he coughs a lot of blood and just d ...more
Charlie
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Yet another in this wonderful series by Mike Resnick - this book and this entire series is one moving action to another - there is not much as far as down time - you get going right at the action and the book ends right after the resolution - he has chosen as his main protagonist John "Doc" Holliday for his series, and Mike Resnick makes this as enjoyable of a character as ever -

this time, the secondary character is Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt and his creation of the Rough Riders - it is great a
Craig
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another fun book in Resnick's Weird West series, this one featuring one of Resnick's favorite topics, Theodore Roosevelt. Resnick's alternate Old West is a semi-steampunky world in which magic works (Bat Masterson was turned into a bat in a previous volume), and famous historical figures of the ago come together to try to extend the boundaries of the United States past the Mississippi River where the Native Americans have magically stonewalled them. Ned Buntline, Thomas Edison, John Wesley Hardi ...more
Jim
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
The third in Mike Resnick's Weird West stories--a combination of steampunk and magic. I like how he brings together real historical figures and puts them in a weird situation...in this one, we meet a young Teddy Roosevelt, along with Tom Edison, Doc Holliday, and Geronimo....and others. The situation is TR's having to face off against a monstrous creation of Indian shamans. A lot of fun.
I also like Resnick's appendix giving us a rundown on TR's amazing life. A great quote about TR, from his da
Trudi Jorda
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ok so I am addicted! Mike Resnick does steam punk wild wild west with Doc Holliday and and the gang like nobodies business. It's a whole new spin on Theodore Rosevelt and the Rough Riders with Geronimo, Bat Masterson and the whole of the OK Corral which was really in the alley leading up to the corral and not the actual corral--the humor and warmth and depth of characters make this a very enjoyable series! I hope he continues! :)
Dan Smyth
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was more in line with the first in the series as far as my enjoyment, but the fantastical elements were seriously lacking in this one. A single monster and two fancy guns do not a great book make. It didn't feel like the author had put much into this book, despite the fact that the last 15% of its pages were reserved for historical appendices. Fell way short of the mark for me, but not a bad book. Just very little to it.
Ron
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a quick reading tale of Doc Holliday's involvement with Teddy Roosevelt and Geronimo as they seek to set the US free across the Mississippi River. The ending was a bit anti-climatic (no big gun fight) but a decent tale nonetheless. At least another in the series is implied on the last page.
Fraser Sherman
Jun 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: steampunk
A great setting--Native American magic has barred white settlement west of the Mississippi and Tom Edison is trying to change that--doesn't make for a novel where almost every scene is people sitting around and talking, mostly about how absolutely breathtakingly amazing Teddy Roosevelt is (yes, he was, but I don't need to be told this often). A real mess.
Kathy
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk, western
This would have worked better as a graphic novel. Like some boring people who think they're better conversionalists by name-dropping, this book reads like I should find it interesting to read a story with Teddy Roosevelt, Doc Holliday, Thomas Edison and Geronimo in it.
Sandy
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
This was as an enjoyable read as the rest of the series. I like the introduction of an enthusiastic young Theodore Roosevelt to the cast of historical characters. Resnick's holiday is someone I'd like to sit down to chew the fat with, as long as I leave my six-shooter holstered ;)
Arleigh
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for May 2013 Historical Novels Review magazine.
AnnaRosieReads
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the alternate version of history the book is built around.
Curt
Dec 14, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 I wanted to like this one more but found myself wondering "wait what now?" far to often. just failed to make common sense within the story.
Jeremy
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good mixture of alternative history and steampunk. A very fun read.
Valarie
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
Good enough for a light read while sick. I would like to try more by this author.
Steven Scherbinski
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
A quick read, not much meat though.
Steven
Dec 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Not bad for a combination of western and steampunk. Yet it was only for a mature audience. Definite sexual themes that some might find offensive
Joe Santoro
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you like the series, you'll like this one, though a few of the themes certainly repeat themselves.... Resnick's take on young Teddy Roosevelt is certainly worth the price of admission!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Power Under Pressure (The Society of Steam, #3)
  • The Secret of Abdu El-Yezdi (Burton & Swinburne, #4)
  • Tin Swift (Age of Steam, #2)
  • In Thunder Forged: Iron Kingdoms Chronicles
  • Steampunk'd
  • The Osiris Curse (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures, #2)
  • The Adventures of Langdon St. Ives
  • Reaper (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Shotgun Arcana (Golgotha, #2)
  • Apollo's Outcasts
  • Lance of Earth and Sky (The Chaos Knight, #2)
  • Flaming Zeppelins: The Adventures of Ned the Seal
  • The Dragon Men (Clockwork Empire, #3)
  • Doktor Glass
  • The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles, #1)
  • Boilerplate: History's Mechanical Marvel
Michael "Mike" Diamond Resnick, better known by his published name Mike Resnick, is a popular and prolific American science fiction author. He is, according to Locus, the all-time leading award winner, living or dead, for short science fiction. He is the winner of five Hugos, a Nebula, and other major awards in the United States, France, Spain, Japan, Croatia and Poland. and has been short-listed ...more

Weird West Tales (4 books)
  • The Buntline Special (Weird West Tales, #1)
  • The Doctor and the Kid (Weird West Tales, #2)
  • The Doctor and the Dinosaurs (Weird West Tales, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Chronicles, #1)
  • 14
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)